Harsin: Firing Williams couldn't wait

WFE12

39 minutes ago, cbo said:

I personally would not fire someone that quickly in my line of work. I'd have a little more confidence in my original evaluation. And, honestly, I would just feel bad to do that. 

The guy got paid $600,000 for 8 months of work. My boss could fire me today for $600,000 and I would throw a party. Kind of hard to feel bad for this situation considering the horseshite the majority of working Americans have dealt with the past two years with lockdowns, closed and burned businesses, and being forced between choosing to take a vaccine you don't want or providing for your family. Don't really get the crying over this.

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 2

16 minutes ago, cbo said:

Completely agree. Not different than any other fanbase or any other large group of people. 

Not coming at you but if this is the case, can this fanbase stop with the permeate idea that we are a family and that we just act better than others ? Lol. Sounds like we are just like everyone else. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nurbis said:

The guy got paid $600,000 for 8 months of work. My boss could fire me today for $600,000 and I would throw a party. Kind of hard to feel bad for this situation considering the horseshite the majority of working Americans have dealt with the past two years with lockdowns, closed and burned businesses, and being forced between choosing to take a vaccine you don't want or providing for your family. Don't really get the crying over this.

Feel better? I could tell you couldn’t wait to get this out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, nurbis said:

I'm not losing any sleep over it. I just said I would personally feel bad.

He had a good job before. If I decided he was right for my job, took him out of his comfortable job, then fired him so quickly? Yeah, I would feel bad. I usually form some type of bond, or at least interest, in the people I hire. 

I understand he makes a lot more money than you. That tends to go along with increased expenses, for better or worse. Either way, he's had a career he's been working towards for years and years and now it is set back considerably. You don't give a s***, but I would. 

I have way more empathy than you could imagine for people dealing with this economy. But it has nothing to do with "burned businesses" or forced vaccines. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not coming at you but if this is the case, can this fanbase stop with the permeate idea that we are a family and that we just act better than others ? Lol. Sounds like we are just like everyone else. 

This is an interesting point to me and I'm not sure I know what I think. 

Most of my family went to Auburn. The older I get, the more I appreciate having pride in where you came from. There are certain places, things, and people in my life that are worth defending. 

But some people need that more than others. I'm still not huge on rah-rah bull****. And I can logically say that the Auburn fanbase, alumni, leadership, whatever, is not demonstrably better than any other. And the mentality that we are "family" and superior in some way is definitely a detriment a times and can even be embarrassing. 

Sorry, more than you asked for. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Sounds like we are just like everyone else. 

We are. But, I can’t help it- I love Auburn. I do think Auburn is special, if not unique. I like living the delusion that Auburn is somehow better dammit, lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We’re called fans which is shorthand for fanatics. You’re darn right I think Auburn is better, and a family atmosphere in every respect!! I’ll go to my grave standing up for the university. Four of the best years of my life as a student.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cbo said:

He had a good job before. If I decided he was right for my job, took him out of his comfortable job, then fired him so quickly? Yeah, I would feel bad. I usually form some type of bond, or at least interest, in the people I hire. 

I understand he makes a lot more money than you. That tends to go along with increased expenses, for better or worse. Either way, he's had a career he's been working towards for years and years and now it is set back considerably. You don't give a s***, but I would. 

I have way more empathy than you could imagine for people dealing with this economy. But it has nothing to do with "burned businesses" or forced vaccines. 

It would surprise me greatly if Harsin did not have much of the same thoughts as you shared. It is his responsibility to do what he believes is best for the program or he wouldn’t be doing his job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

I find this decision is much like who plays at QB decision. Both have done their level best to win the job. Eventually one is going to have to be the backup and Harsin has to try to make the best decision for the program knowing someone is going to be greatly affected by that decision. Tough call but he has to make it (knowing many people are going to beat him up about it whichever way he goes.

2 hours ago, cbo said:

Two way street, sometimes we have to make sure the new organization (team) seeking is a fit for us, and our skill set, philosophy, work ethic, etc before we see stars, $$$ and jump aboard. Harsin is the boss, he apparently wanted to make a transition, the precise reason, we may never know but regardless it was made. He is in charge and he will either succeed or fail with his coaching and the decisions he makes. Time will tell. 

7 hours ago, fredst said:

I like living the delusion that Auburn is somehow better dammit, lol

Pretty much this

A lot of stuff poured into this thread. Auburn, at least the image in my mind, is better than other schools and towns. I think many of us feel that way but it doesn't translate well when trying to convey that to others. It sounds snobby. The Auburn family moniker doesn't mean there are not and will not be issues that are unpleasant to have to deal with. Our public image has been tainted and we've had more black eyes in my years of following them than I care to admit. There have been many great times through those same years as well. Harsin didn't take letting Williams go lightly based on what I've read. You can hate having to do something like that but if you do it for the right reasons then you don't need to feel bad about it. He most likely doesn't. The one thing that I keep going back to is that he has to do what's best for the team and I'm trusting that he is doing that. Sometimes those decisions aren't easy to make. Auburn is a pretty dysfunctional family that can't get out of their own way on most days. The University has their share of problems that surface from time to time. I think we all agree that Auburn is a special place but the idea that we are somehow better than others is us trying to convince ourselves. No one else is buying that. 

Edited by gr82be
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, cbo said:

I look at the firing in 2 ways:

1. Every boss has their own management style. Some, if they feel they need to make a change of a critical position will simply fire that person, bc they feel they need the ones around him who he trusts to do the job he asked them to do. 

2. Some bosses would relocate that same person, to a desk job in a basement or a closet, far from the staff so they can't influence the other coaches or players. Sometimes this is more demeaning than firing someone. I have seen this type of boss first hand.

By letting CWill go, it allows CWill to look for another position earlier than deciding to let him go after the season. He is still getting paid so its not like he is out on the street trying to support his family.

Harsin may feel bad too about what he felt he had to do, but we now know he makes decisions and changes when he feels the results are not productive(whether it be a coach or a QB).

13 hours ago, DAG said:

You take that back right now!!

How dare you?!?

LOL!!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, AUGoo said:

How dare you?!?

LOL!!

We are a different kind of FAmily. :)

Only Auburn would have fired coaches still living in Auburn or come back to Auburn to retire years after they were let go. 

Now THAT'S Family.!

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

Sometimes people just want to disagree no matter what's in front of their face

uh-no-no.gif

32 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

How dare you?!?

LOL!!

I am glad I got these responses. This is our family session and I am the clinician. Now all of you sit with reality!

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I am glad I got these responses. This is our family session and I am the clinician. Now all of you sit with reality!

I don’t believe you have convinced anyone yet!!

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

@Randman5000I know you saw it though you lying 🤡. That's why you called for it to be locked

haha. i knew you would be mad. i said there were mistakes by the WR's you dummy. 🤡

25 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

haha. i knew you would be mad. i said there were mistakes by the WR's you dummy. 🤡

No you said you watched guys not know when to stay in and then you literally just said other people said it, as if that means it must be true.  You said guys were lined up wrong

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

No you said you watched guys not know when to stay in and then you literally just said other people said it, as if that means it must be true.  You said guys were lined up wrong

Haha. You're so mad you're wrong. You have no idea what you're talking about. 

Just now, Randman5000 said:

Haha. You're so mad you're wrong. You have no idea what you're talking about. 

With what I was saying it wasn't even a right wrong issue but I know you're slow....But are you saying you didn't say that?