Harsin: Firing Williams couldn't wait

WFE12

1 minute ago, AU80cruiser said:

We had a replacement OC on staff too. Why didnt we change that? I would have felt better if we did but he changed the receivers coach. At this moment I trust he had a good reason.

Definition of a scapegoat. Bobo should have been fired or at least demoted because his play calling as been not good and the QB play has been bad as well. But what does Harsin do? Fire the position coach of the one group that has the LEAST amount of experience on the entire team. You can then also lump in that our defense has been awful so there's good reason to fire Mason, Eason, and Etheridge. Watts is the only coach on the defensive side where his group hasn't s*** the bed.

Our OL has been trash as well but Friend wasn't held accountable for "football performance". He fired the young coach instead of everyone else so he can install his own guy. I'm fine with that but to think that other coaches shouldn't be held accountable to the same standards is why I'm so frustrated. You can't say it's football performance, look at how our team has played and then only punish one guy.

scape·goat
/noun
  1. 1.
    a person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others, especially for reasons of expediency.
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Why are people having such an issue grasping this concept. I mentioned this happening after the Alabama st game, happened again in the PSU game then got worse in the GSU game. This is a responsibility that solely falls on the position coach.

Did you not realize that the person that tweeted that lied or made a mistake about the last play? If they watched so closely they wouldn't have made that mistake of a tweet. So they probably made a mistake on the other 4 plays that only had 10 as well.

9 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

We had a replacement OC on staff too. Why didnt we change that? I would have felt better if we did but he changed the receivers coach. At this moment I trust he had a good reason.

I honestly don't think Bobo has been that bad.  He's had WRs running open pretty frequently.  Our QBs haven't been able to get them the ball, especially deep to make "big" plays

7 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Why are people having such an issue grasping this concept. I mentioned this happening after the Alabama st game, happened again in the PSU game then got worse in the GSU game. This is a responsibility that solely falls on the position coach.

There are 11 people on the field here.  

What are you talking about?  The Tweet is clearly wrong

Edited by W.E.D

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

There are 11 people on the field here.  

What are you talking about?  The Tweet is clearly wrong

Just made another comment about bc I knew something would be said. The guy tweeted the wrong play but it did happen in the last drive. Happened several other times  too

2 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

And before someone mentions it yes there were 11 on the last play however we nearly got a delay of game on the same drive bc a guy was running in late.

Delay of games happen. What about Bo Nix getting a delay of game against ASU because he tried to quiet down the crowd instead of snapping the ball?

Why not mention all of the false starts and holds by our OL? Or what about the fact that our DBs seem to not be able to defend their man and turn their head to the ball so they constantly get a DPI?

All of that should be on coaching as well. Penalties happen all the time and we had 6 penalties and I can't remember if any of those were on the WRs.

1 minute ago, JMassie11 said:

Just made another comment about bc I knew something would be said. The guy tweeted the wrong play but it did happen in the last drive. Happened several other times  too

Right, it happened once on a 1st down and Newton ran on the field.  Everyone constantly says it has happened multiple times and no one has posted a single instance of them

Just now, tgrogan21 said:

Delay of games happen. What about Bo Nix getting a delay of game against ASU because he tried to quiet down the crowd instead of snapping the ball?

Why not mention all of the false starts and holds by our OL? Or what about the fact that our DBs seem to not be able to defend their man and turn their head to the ball so they constantly get a DPI?

All of that should be on coaching as well. Penalties happen all the time and we had 6 penalties and I can't remember if any of those were on the WRs.

You’re completely missing the entire point and your comparison is invalid. It is the POSITION COACHES job to have the correct personnel on the field. This is something Williams continued having issues with. Hence how he is the reason to blame. Cant make it any more clear.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I honestly don't think Bobo has been that bad.  He's had WRs running open pretty frequently.  Our QBs haven't been able to get them the ball, especially deep to make "big" plays

I'm upset about the fade against Penn State and the fact that they called the same exact play at the end of the GSU game. That's shameful. Plus he's also the QB coach so the failure in that aspect should also be held against him.

I'm also upset about him not using Shivers more. You have a guy with track star speed that can spread the offense out and you run him 2 times. One of those being a big gain on the sweep. Running with Tank and Hunter is nice but you need to have a change of pace and someone who can break it outside. Bobo isn't doing that.

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Right, it happened once on a 1st down and Newton ran on the field.  Everyone constantly says it has happened multiple times and no one has posted a single instance of them

When I was at the Bama state game there was 3 instances that it happened. One resulted in a delay of game, one burned a time out and the other was before the 1/2 and Caylin literally ran about 40 yards across the field to get into position.

1 minute ago, JMassie11 said:

You’re completely missing the entire point and your comparison is invalid. It is the POSITION COACHES job to have the correct personnel on the field. This is something Williams continued having issues with. Hence how he is the reason to blame. Cant make it any more clear.

Well, how about when our defense has had to call MULTIPLE timeouts when the offensive playclock going down to under 5 because either they don't have the right personnel in or because they just can't get the play in? That happened twice in the 2nd half of the Penn State game alone. Those two timeouts would have been really nice to have at the end of the game when we were trying to make a comeback.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

And before someone mentions it yes there were 11 on the last play however we nearly got a delay of game on the same drive bc a guy was running in late.

the thing is there is footage of ten players on the field. i have seen it. it is on youtube. maybe the guy got his count wrong but it still hurt us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

the thing is there is footage of ten players on the field. i have seen it. it is on youtube. maybe the guy got his count wrong but it still hurt us.

Everyone keeps talking about it but besides the 1 play where Newton ran in late, they haven't posted a single clip of it. I'm not saying it doesn't exist or people are lying, but a couple people have asked to see it and apparently everyone forgets where they've seen it because they sure as heck aren't posting it on here.

• Like 1

i saw it. did i look all of them up? no. but when i saw the one i believed the guy.

I can't believe I'm on here and reading multiple people suggesting that Bobo "obviously" should be fired after a whopping 4 games...2 of which we scored 60+ points in. What fireable offense has he committed? The 4th down call against Penn State? The play-calls against Georgia State were fine - we had execution issues (ie: Bo missed at least 3 wide open passes that would have been big plays, TJ Finley missed ~2 or so himself).

The idea that "oh other positions have been bad as well, therefore firing the WR coach is scapegoating" is nonsense. There are different levels and degrees of failure; some are fireable offenses and some aren't. The argument that it's either "fire everyone" or "fire no one" is a logical fallacy of absurd proportions. You can't fire the entire ******* coaching staff. And no, the idea that "the DB's have been bad" does not in any way relate at all to whether or not Cornelius Williams deserves to be fired.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Everyone keeps talking about it but besides the 1 play where Newton ran in late, they haven't posted a single clip of it. I'm not saying it doesn't exist or people are lying, but a couple people have asked to see it and apparently everyone forgets where they've seen it because they sure as heck aren't posting it on here.

i got laughed at for posting the franklin article and another before that so i am done posting articles.

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Do you understand how big of an ask it is to request that someone watch 4 games worth offensive snaps on YOUR behalf? And do what, chart all the instances for you? And if no one does this, it means that it didn't happen LOL?

Are you going to pay someone for their time to complete this task? 

We have in fact had a strange amount of ODD mistakes from the WR group. These not only include personnel mistakes (rushing guys on the field), but also, strange things like multiple false start penalties on the receivers. False starts are an OL penalty - we've been flagged at LEAST twice in 4 games for the receivers committing this penalty. There have also been reports that Cornelius Williams has made mistakes signaling in plays from the sideline.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Definition of a scapegoat. Bobo should have been fired or at least demoted because his play calling as been not good and the QB play has been bad as well. But what does Harsin do? Fire the position coach of the one group that has the LEAST amount of experience on the entire team. You can then also lump in that our defense has been awful so there's good reason to fire Mason, Eason, and Etheridge. Watts is the only coach on the defensive side where his group hasn't s*** the bed.

Our OL has been trash as well but Friend wasn't held accountable for "football performance". He fired the young coach instead of everyone else so he can install his own guy. I'm fine with that but to think that other coaches shouldn't be held accountable to the same standards is why I'm so frustrated. You can't say it's football performance, look at how our team has played and then only punish one guy.

scape·goat
/noun
noun: scapegoat; plural noun: scapegoats
  1. 1.
    a person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others, especially for reasons of expediency.

All off-season, we said there would be growing pains on both sides of the ball by switching to a new scheme. I even fell into the trap of thinking that we had the talent to overcome this, but even with talent when you switch everything about your scheme and all communications, verbage, assignments, etc, there are going to be issues.

The Defense as a whole has not been terrible. Yes we gave up a lot of completions. Against PSU we gave up a lot of completions and some BIG plays as well in coverage bust. Then we had the fiasco this weekend that was Ga St. where they gashed us for a half...a half where we had both our best players on D out. The minute McClain came in the defense was immediately better. Steiner and Wooten blew run fits all through the first half that would have likely made the difference. Was it ugly? Yes. Is it worth firing the guy over a 1/4 into a season in which you are implementing an entire philosophy and scheme change? Absolutely not. 

I also believe the OL has actually not been bad for 12-16 quarters this season. They have played much better until that debacle last week. So I don't believe that Friend should be fired either...at least not for that.

I also think Bobo has made a couple bad calls. I don't believe he should be fired either.

Ultimately I don't think based on performance of the players that there is a single coach on the staff that deserved to be fired, including CWill. Not when you are in your 1st season and going through as big of changes as we are implementing with players you didn't recruit. 

No one will ever convince me there isn't more to this story, but that is ok. I don't really care. The man gets his full buyout and our HC already has a guy he knows and trusts in there to continue the development of a young position group.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Well, how about when our defense has had to call MULTIPLE timeouts when the offensive playclock going down to under 5 because either they don't have the right personnel in or because they just can't get the play in? That happened twice in the 2nd half of the Penn State game alone. Those two timeouts would have been really nice to have at the end of the game when we were trying to make a comeback.

That is completely different when you are talking about the defensive side of the ball. Tell me you realize this? On offense, you dictate everything. On Defense, you react to what the offense is doing. You wait and see what personnel or formation they are in and then you react. These two scenarios are not remotely the same.

• Like 3

Boy Corn is saltyyyyy about getting fired. I follow him on IG, literally deleted every single auburn related post. I follow multiple coaches that bounce around & most don’t do that unless it was a bad ending. I’m sure there’s more to the story. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

That is completely different when you are talking about the defensive side of the ball. Tell me you realize this? On offense, you dictate everything. On Defense, you react to what the offense is doing. You wait and see what personnel or formation they are in and then you react. These two scenarios are not remotely the same.

The fact that multiple people don't understand this is mind-blowing.

Having plays where the OFFENSE doesn't have enough men on the field is a MASSIVE mistake.

• Like 1

Just now, TAYLORKEETON said:

Boy Corn is saltyyyyy about getting fired. I follow him on IG, literally deleted every single auburn related post. I follow multiple coaches that bounce around & most don’t do that unless it was a bad ending. I’m sure there’s more to the story. 

That doesn't mean he is salty. He doesn't work for Auburn anymore, so why would he have anything auburn related on his personal page. I am sure Auburn doesn't have his stuff on their page. Let the man be.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, metafour said:

Do you understand how big of an ask it is to request that someone watch 4 games worth offensive snaps on YOUR behalf? And do what, chart all the instances for you? And if no one does this, it means that it didn't happen LOL?

Are you going to pay someone for their time to complete this task? 

Not only that but the entire game is no longer available on youtube. The only entire recording has been taken down. The one that claims to be a full game is chopped up and doesnt show the last quarter of play.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The one you quoted was mainly in response since he ignored everything else I said. But calling a timeout when the clock is at 1 second is bad I don’t care what the offense was doing beforehand. 

3 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

The one you quoted was mainly in response since he ignored everything else I said. But calling a timeout when the clock is at 1 second is bad I don’t care what the offense was doing beforehand. 

Circumstances matter.