Open Club  ·  57 members

BBQ Boys

Any tips for a guy that just got his first dedicated smoker?

AUDub

I've smoked in the past on my Weber grill but my wife got me an electric smoker for my birthday. First dedicated smoker I've ever owned. 

gJMuuGo.jpg

eTxtlAB.jpg

Already seasoned it. Figure I'm going to go get me a few butts to get a feel for it before I move on to more advanced stuff. 

Assume I'm a complete novice. Any tips?

• 4 weeks later...

As I understand it, this is Cuisinart Electric Smoker. I have a smoker and a grill, but I haven't cooked anything on it for a long time.

What tips to give a newbie? Cook more, read more literature, watch various videos. I went through this, because none of my acquaintances really knows how to cook on a grill or in a smoker. So I bought meat every weekend and learned to cook. And now through the time the interest has disappeared.

Here is some literature for you to study:

https://smokingmeatgeeks.com/smoking-meat-basics/ (SMOKING MEAT 101 – HOW TO BBQ & TYPES OF SMOKERS)

• Like 1

Well we're going to get it going today. Got a butt ready to go. 

On 10/24/2021 at 10:45 AM, DavidJo23 said:

I found this video in my research and hell yeah it's a good lesson on not being rigid. 

Going a bit too smoothly. Wonder how badly I mess it up when I hit the stall lol. 

• Like 1

Hit the stall hard. Been parked at 153 for a solid hour. Debating whether to crutch or not, but I gave myself a lot of extra time so no need to be too urgent. 

Can see why electrics are considered easy mode. Temp control on this thing is a damn breeze. 

IRWZREV.jpeg

Had to really crank after overcoming the stall, but it came out great. No complaints. Damn near perfect pulled pork. 

• 2 weeks later...

9lb butt, so tonight will be my first attempt at an overnight smoke. 

iUXUDBm.jpg

• Like 1

Still just shocked at how nice temp control is on this thing. 

Think I have it timed perfectly. Should sleep right through the stall after replenishing smoke and water right before bed. Got a remote thermometer just in case to make sure smoker temps don't go hog wild due to the temperature drop this evening. If the butt hits 180 (seriously doubt that) I'll be out of the bed quick to finish up. It's at 131 now and I'll be surprised if there isn't a 5 hour stall in front of me given it's a 9 pounder. 

Edited by AUDub

Woke up at three just to check and it's humming along. Added chips and water. Still deep in the stall though. When I clear 165 I'm going to take the smoker to 250. 

By the way the ambient thermometer turned out to be a must. Way more accurate than the built in one, as expected. 

Edited by AUDub

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

What does cleaning involve with electric. Not familiar with them at all other than understanding some folks love them 

Just like an oven.

After I get done with a smoke I'll crank it to max and let it go for little while to burn everything off, then I'll let it cool, then take it back up to 150. At that point I'll pull out the racks and pans out and give everything the elbow grease and mild soapy water. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Learned the limits of this little vertical smoker the hard way. Bought a 3 pack of spares and opted to smoke them all once. Maintained a careful rotation but could not get the bark to set no matter what I did. They came out fine otherwise, which is a given, but even with careful rotation and a heavy hand they were far from what they could have been had I simply done 2 racks at a time.

Lesson learned. Need to move to a large offset for that kind of volume. 

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, Bottomfeeder said:

Stall, Plateau is explained in this article. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/physicist-cracks-bbq-mystery_b_987719

Weirdly enough I've mastered handling stalls. 

Only took me a year lol.