Men's 2021-22 Season Discussion Thread

toddc

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Passing the ball? I think being creative and making consistent good discussions is a gift. Somebody like lamello ball was just born different.

But just making a decision to slowly pass the ball to the post? I could teach a 5 year old to do that

That was my thought process watching the 2020 team. Like someone like Samir just couldn’t figure out how to get it from the right corner into Wiley, unless it was butt naked open. Or they’d have some non shooter on the same side of the initiator, his man would sink in the paint to help, and the pass would just get intercepted bc the initiator stared Wiley down 

Really troubling passing IQ out of the non lead guards the past few years 

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That was my thought process watching the 2020 team. Like someone like Samir just couldn’t figure out how to get it from the right corner into Wiley, unless it was butt naked open. Or they’d have some non shooter on the same side of the initiator, his man would sink in the paint to help, and the pass would just get intercepted bc the initiator stared Wiley down 

Really troubling passing IQ out of the non lead guards the past few years 

They just didn't have a concept of working with the big man would help them score. I guessed they watched Harper and thought they could do what he could.....but they didn't have the physical capability or the skill he had. But everybody wants to shine you know? 

Wiley was like Seth Williams to the football team now. When he leaves turns out you see just how valuable he was. I feel fannigan is next but what do I know?

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

They just didn't have a concept of working with the big man would help them score. I guessed they watched Harper and thought they could do what he could.....but they didn't have the physical capability or the skill he had. But everybody wants to shine you know? 

Wiley was like Seth Williams to the football team now. When he leaves turns out you see just how valuable he was. I feel fannigan is next but what do I know?

Yeah, I don’t have anything new to add to the Wiley’s value discussion, but I think there’s a ton of systems where he would’ve been at least a high numbers, decently high impact guy. Kofi Cockburn was/is physically better, but I feel like Wiley is a smarter player than him. That’s someone I think he could’ve been viewed like elsewhere

I don’t feel like Flan is underappreciated (or at least hope he isn’t) after seeing some of the performances where he didn’t have to run point late in the season. He had first round type value late in 2020 when Powell had those duties, and unfortunately never got comfortable between being the on again, off again point and then Coop taking most of that duty. With a routine off-season, I felt like he should’ve been a top 5-10 SEC player this season. Def will miss the forward defense he provides, Cambridge is solid at that, but there’s not many 6’5-6’8 defensive options on the roster currently 

18 hours ago, AUreo said:

Lindys ranks Auburn #1 in the SEC and #10 in the nation. How realistic is this ranking?

not particularly with Flan probably out half the season, a by committee approach at the 3, and probably one guard short of the stable some of our peers will be rocking. You'd have to really believe in someone other than Jabari and Kessler to be at a near star level to reach that conclusion imo 

I saw a couple different roster combinations for some reason, but Tenn's guard stable appears to be Kennedy Chandler, Powell, Vescovi and JJJ. Couple other high 3 star guards from their recruiting class. Very nasty guard stable 

Can’t get here fast enough!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I really hope so! Gives him time to get into game shape before SEC season starts.

Edited by toddc

On 10/19/2021 at 3:55 PM, toddc said:

I really hope so! Gives him time to get into game shape before SEC season starts.

Guy's a warrior, if he can come back off the bench against some of those meh teams in December, I think it'd be a huge morale boost going into SEC play, even if he himself is just rounding to form 

Looking for Jabari to have a game similar to chuma. Also once again some of Bruce's best teams are when he has a versatile 3 to help EVERYBODY on the team offense. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 6:31 PM, NoALtiger said:

It still amazes me what Bruce has done here. If there ever was a guy that deserves the “rockstar” coach moniker, it’s him. He totally changed everything. AU and Final Four were not words that usually accompanied each other. He’s already done enough to get a sidewalk plaque over by Toomers IMO. 

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, but I fully expect to one day be playing home games at Bruce Pearl Arena. Probably be known as "The Pearl" and/or "The House that Bruce Built."

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Looking for Jabari to have a game similar to chuma. Also once again some of Bruce's best teams are when he has a versatile 3 to help EVERYBODY on the team offense. 

How likely do you think it is that Jabari plays essentially the 3 in the same manner that Chuma did?

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Maybe he is a little better off the bounce??? I don’t know it’s hard to call. Both are so smooth and deceptive in their ability to create space. Chuma was sneaky good in the paint. Great body control and footwork by both. Maybe Smith gets his outside shot off with a little more ease but I think I’m grasping at straws. I do think freshman Smith is ahead of freshman Okeke

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

How likely do you think it is that Jabari plays essentially the 3 in the same manner that Chuma did?

Not trying to cop out but I can't know yet because so much depends on where all of his team mates are at and I just don't know how much our returning players has improved, especially on offense. 

On defense though I imagine this will be our go to as far as consistently exploiting mismatches on defense. Usually when a team is running man a very very common practice is to look at this position to create mismatches for the offense running high pick and rolls. With everything I've seen from Smith and what chuma did in the NCAA run is we'll cause havoc being able to switch everything seamlessly.  Especially when Flanagan comes back. 

I'm a big defensive guy, I'm so excited to see all the possibilities we will be able to do. Especially if we add some match up zone concepts.

Oh and I expect his role to be different when Allen is out and change a but when Allen comes back. It may be a few hiccups and people will over react I imagine but everything will start clicking at the right time and hopefully we make a strong run and be better for it.

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 2:15 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

not particularly with Flan probably out half the season, a by committee approach at the 3, and probably one guard short of the stable some of our peers will be rocking. You'd have to really believe in someone other than Jabari and Kessler to be at a near star level to reach that conclusion imo 

Now, I don't know about the rest of the country, but I don't think it's too far off when put up against some other teams we've had. All it takes is either Green improving his defense or Jasper being a reliable offensive conductor for us to be pretty danged good even without Flanigan, and once Flan comes back and gets into form (which sounds like it'll happen around the time that SEC play is kicking into high gear), I think 10 might be a little low for us. Green's film reminded me of Coop, and I'm guessing there's a good reason Jasper is nicknamed Honey Badger, so I have a feeling both of them will be weapons in their own right. It does stink that we don't have another pure guard, but even without Flanigan, the presence of two guys who are legitimate ball handlers makes our front court lethal. The supporting players don't have to be 'near star level,' I wouldn't say. They just need to be solid.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Not trying to cop out but I can't know yet because so much depends on where all of his team mates are at and I just don't know how much our returning players has improved, especially on offense. 

On defense though I imagine this will be our go to as far as consistently exploiting mismatches on defense. Usually when a team is running man a very very common practice is to look at this position to create mismatches for the offense running high pick and rolls. With everything I've seen from Smith and what chuma did in the NCAA run is we'll cause havoc being able to switch everything seamlessly.  Especially when Flanagan comes back. 

I'm a big defensive guy, I'm so excited to see all the possibilities we will be able to do. Especially if we add some match up zone concepts.

I would imagine you're cheering hard for Jasper to win the starting point position, then. I've been getting excited about this coming season for months...kinda nice for that to be more the expectation than the exception with basketball these days!

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Oh and I expect his role to be different when Allen is out and change a but when Allen comes back. It may be a few hiccups and people will over react I imagine but everything will start clicking at the right time and hopefully we make a strong run and be better for it.

I think you are spot on. Defense especially once Allen comes back and hits game shape will carry us a long way. I also expect some issues when Allen comes back as everybody adjusts to his skill set. From what I have read Smith like Okeke has a great basketball IQ and will be a facilitator when he gets the ball near or in the key. Okeke made so many other players better because of his skill in same area. 

My assumption is that Pearl is a straight shooter so Smith probably has a better three shot then Okeke which will open other things up for Auburn. Also we will have other big men Kessler with a good three shot and some skill down low and as defensive shot blocker and I also have a feeling we will see a better Cardwell who I hope can become more like Wiley doing all the things Wiley did that most fans didn't see. The big pick at the right time, the offensive rebounding, bodying up on other teams big man, clogging the lane, then being a down low scoring threat. Remember last year Cardwell was playing for the first time since his junior year in HS, practicing everyday is differnt then playing in games.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

6 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Now, I don't know about the rest of the country, but I don't think it's too far off when put up against some other teams we've had. All it takes is either Green improving his defense or Jasper being a reliable offensive conductor for us to be pretty danged good even without Flanigan, and once Flan comes back and gets into form (which sounds like it'll happen around the time that SEC play is kicking into high gear), I think 10 might be a little low for us. Green's film reminded me of Coop, and I'm guessing there's a good reason Jasper is nicknamed Honey Badger, so I have a feeling both of them will be weapons in their own right. It does stink that we don't have another pure guard, but even without Flanigan, the presence of two guys who are legitimate ball handlers makes our front court lethal. The supporting players don't have to be 'near star level,' I wouldn't say. They just need to be solid.

I’m looking at it as compared to the country. We shouldn’t be higher than the 4 teams projected to be better than us in the SEC, much less “10”. Some of these top 10 teams have a whole starting lineup plus some bench guys with star level TALENTS. Now those guys could underwhelm, and some of the lower Auburn guys could overperform, but it’s incredibly hard to project that with how little most of them have shown. 

As of now, we have two star level talents and one that might get back in January. Not a ton of chemistry, and coming off of a pretty poor season. That’s outside top 15 IMO 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’m looking at it as compared to the country. We shouldn’t be higher than the 4 teams projected to be better than us in the SEC, much less “10”. Some of these top 10 teams have a whole starting lineup plus some bench guys with star level TALENTS. Now those guys could underwhelm, and some of the lower Auburn guys could overperform, but it’s incredibly hard to project that with how little most of them have shown. 

As of now, we have two star level talents and one that might get back in January. Not a ton of chemistry, and coming off of a pretty poor season. That’s outside top 15 IMO 

THat's where I see us, which is about 15, or maybe a little higher.

It's hard to evaluate without your veteran, Flanigan in there. He's a little bit of everything. Outside shooter, dribble drive, rebounds. He does so many little things for the team. 

It does help having veteran backcourt guys being starters and contributors, as that lessens the learning curve I think in melding a starting 5 and your bench.

But I can see by January or definitely mid-January, and having AF fully healthy and getting his game sharpened that this team could take off on a big run.

On 10/23/2021 at 3:14 PM, cole256 said:

I agree 100% on Smith doing different things with AF out vs when he's back. I think Smith is going to play the 3 until AF gets back and Williams will be the only non-new face starting. Smith probably slides to the 4 with AF starting at the 3 once he's back to full strength. I don't think we will be asking our returning players to do much scoring outside Williams and AF. What will be very interesting is how well Smith plays off the ball. Chuma was very good with his movement and spacing off ball, which is hard for star freshman as they usually haven't been asked to do too much off ball work. Our spacing will be a big issue to watch with Kessler at 5 rather than a standard on the block type guy. 

On 10/24/2021 at 9:46 AM, steeleagle said:

THat's where I see us, which is about 15, or maybe a little higher.

It's hard to evaluate without your veteran, Flanigan in there. He's a little bit of everything. Outside shooter, dribble drive, rebounds. He does so many little things for the team. 

It does help having veteran backcourt guys being starters and contributors, as that lessens the learning curve I think in melding a starting 5 and your bench.

But I can see by January or definitely mid-January, and having AF fully healthy and getting his game sharpened that this team could take off on a big run.

Unlike college football, basketball preseason rankings mean very little due to the volume of games and conference tournaments. So, with us having so many new faces no reason to worry much about rankings.