Men's 2021-22 Season Discussion Thread

toddc

I think you will see Williams and Jabari play both 3 and 4. Kessler has a good outside shot for a 5 but also has an inside game. With the strong front court we have it will give opportunities for other players. Johnson, Moore, and Cambridge between them will provide a good bit of O while waiting on Allen to return. Moore has a very sweet stroke, Johnson showed last year at Georgia he can score and I need to see if Cambridge has taken the next step as he has a lot of tools with a little more consistent shot and and an improved handle he would be a tough matchup for other teams 2.  I have to see both of the new PG's play against real competition before I will say how good we will be as todays game needs a PG who can run the team.

On 10/23/2021 at 9:29 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’m looking at it as compared to the country. We shouldn’t be higher than the 4 teams projected to be better than us in the SEC, much less “10”. Some of these top 10 teams have a whole starting lineup plus some bench guys with star level TALENTS. Now those guys could underwhelm, and some of the lower Auburn guys could overperform, but it’s incredibly hard to project that with how little most of them have shown. 

As of now, we have two star level talents and one that might get back in January. Not a ton of chemistry, and coming off of a pretty poor season. That’s outside top 15 IMO 

I didn't know the other teams in the SEC were that stacked, but I suppose that's fair enough.

The one thing that I think should factor in, but that neither of us mentioned, is Bruce Pearl. I think he has a track record to suggest that the talent he's assembled--very probably the most he's had at Auburn, which is saying something--could turn into something special.

Not that that makes me disagree with you about preseason rankings, at least regarding where we stand during the preseason. But if it's one of those ranking deals where they're projecting over the entire season, 10 isn't so far fetched, IMO.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 2:57 PM, Rednilla said:

How likely do you think it is that Jabari plays essentially the 3 in the same manner that Chuma did?

SIAP but AU reporters are saying C. Moore & Cambridge playing the 3 til Flan gets back.

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

SIAP but AU reporters are saying C. Moore & Cambridge playing the 3 til Flan gets back.

Everybody says Moore has a sweet stroke on the three with two great bigs in Smith and Kessler he should get some good looks. Cambridge has the size and frame to be a solid defender at the three but I can see both playing at the 2 especially Moore with his stroke. As we saw 1st 2 years Cambridge needs a good PG to bring out his skill set as his handle so far has not been good enough to create scoring opportunities on his own. Hopefully that part of his game has improved. I expect big things of Moore this year once Flanigan returns he could be a great off the bench player who can bring scoring to a second unit. 

15 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Everybody says Moore has a sweet stroke on the three with two great bigs in Smith and Kessler he should get some good looks. Cambridge has the size and frame to be a solid defender at the three but I can see both playing at the 2 especially Moore with his stroke. As we saw 1st 2 years Cambridge needs a good PG to bring out his skill set as his handle so far has not been good enough to create scoring opportunities on his own. Hopefully that part of his game has improved. I expect big things of Moore this year once Flanigan returns he could be a great off the bench player who can bring scoring to a second unit. 

I like Moore at the 3, just bc I think in his Soph year he has all the tools like AF had: some quickness, nice outside shot, aggressive, and able to get rebounds. 

He did have a nice stroke, and I recall a game or 2 where he was on fire, and a few in a row. But with is limited playing time, and him still learning the position, he was going to be inconsistent.

7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I like Moore at the 3, just bc I think in his Soph year he has all the tools like AF had: some quickness, nice outside shot, aggressive, and able to get rebounds. 

He did have a nice stroke, and I recall a game or 2 where he was on fire, and a few in a row. But with is limited playing time, and him still learning the position, he was going to be inconsistent.

From what I have read he and others have done a great job in re-shaping their bodies and he will have even more quickness and explosiveness this year.

I understand Cardwell has lost about 10 pounds and is stronger and quicker this year so he should be a better defender, has improved his outside shot. I am curious if he has developed any post game.  If he has developed a post game we could see a few sets where we go big Cardwell center, Kessler PF, Smith SF, Moore SG and one of the PG's. That type of size could be a lock down zone defense with three shot blockers and explosive offense as both Smith and Kessler can shoot the three, post up their defender down low and drive to the basket. Smith could be a facilitator in the key or top of the key. 

• Like 2

Some of these tweets & posts in this thread deserved their own thread so less of a chance people don't miss them. Just sayin.

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I can see both playing at the 2 especially Moore with his stroke.

Not sure Bruce is planning on that. Heard a 3 guard line up with Green & Zep at the Gs with KD at the 3 til Flan gets back is very much in play. Hadn't heard anything about DC or C-Mo at the 2.

• ellitor changed the title to Men's 2022-23 Season Discussion Thread
4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not sure Bruce is planning on that. Heard a 3 guard line up with Green & Zep at the Gs with KD at the 3 til Flan gets back is very much in play. Hadn't heard anything about DC or C-Mo at the 2.

If the three transfer guards are good enough that we have to make room for all of them in the lineup we are in a good position. Depth is a serious concern at least until Allen returns, though.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Interesting. That would be a crazy small guard lineup. KD is tough on D but he’d give 6 inches to most 3s. 

3 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Depth is a serious concern at least until Allen returns, though

Not really apparently. We just beat UAB soundly in a closed-door scrimmage and they were supposed to have the better back court along with being a really good team. I don’t know if it’s been discussed on here but Chris Moore has wowed people around the program with his improvements and changes in his body..

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

KD is tough on D but he’d give 6 inches to most 3s

Didn’t stop him at Georgia. He played defense well against threes quite a bit while Ihe was there.

• Like 5

• toddc changed the title to Men's 2021-22 Season Discussion Thread
2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Why is this the 2022-2023 thread? What happened to this year?

I fixed it.

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1

The little film I've seen of Green reminds me an awful lot of Sharife Cooper... maybe not on that level, but same style player. Hopefully he's picked up his defense some...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rednilla said:

The little film I've seen of Green reminds me an awful lot of Sharife Cooper... maybe not on that level, but same style player. Hopefully he's picked up his defense some...

Not in the same world as a facilitator, but you really don’t need a Cooper level playmaker to win on the college level. Green seems more than good enough to be the floor general here 

20 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Why is this the 2022-2023 thread? What happened to this year?

Because I made a mistake. Just politely ask for a correction next time please.

18 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Doesn't have the court vision Rife does, but then again, not many people do.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Because I made a mistake. Just politely ask for a correction next time please.

I did- see my post. I didn't know you changed the title, you outed yourself there 😂

22 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I did- see my post. I didn't know you changed the title, you outed yourself there 😂

I said he changed it at first but decided to remove that and just fix it. At least he owned it and said he’s human.

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1