McElroy and Cubelic Breakdown Position Groups

tomcat

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/9-28-mcelroy-cubelic-in-the-morning-hour-1-what-does/id1575603573?i=1000536870827

Hope this will open and play for you as it is well worth the listen. If not, you can easily find it where you get podcasts. These guys pull no punches…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I continue to be shocked at the lack of talent the Gus left. 

Me too. 7 years worth of talent gone . Absolutely a horrible evaluator of talent 

• Love 1

That was hog wash, just because our team came out flat against a team that our guys thought that they could just show up and win and they poop the bed doesn't mean we are a bad football team, especially after coming off one of the biggest game thus far on the road that we should have won or put ourselves in position to win it, and now state is the #4 team in the country.. come cublic and ginger give me a break! is Auburn void of some talent yes but they are not as bad as they made us out to be..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eaglenest said:

That was hog wash, just because our team came out flat against a team that our guys thought that they could just show up and win and they poop the bed doesn't mean we are a bad football team, especially after coming off one of the biggest game thus far on the road that we should have won or put ourselves in position to win it, and now state is the #4 team in the country.. come cublic and ginger give me a break! is Auburn void of some talent yes but they are not as bad as they made us out to be..

Bad in comparison to how other SEC teams are improving. Ark, Ole Miss, etc. All in our division. 

We have key lack of talent at key positions. OL, QB, WR(raw but possibly has talent). We had to fill the DT position with transfers to be decent. 

Some of this was players leaving, others are bc of poor recruiting by Gus.

It is what it is....

3 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Yeah. What the heck do they know, right? They were too busy playing the game to get accurate and knowledgeable information off the message boards. They probably never even read the AU family forum!

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Actually, it’s a lot more than that.  Cube and Mac break it down pretty good. 

I listened. 

My point is that they are the single greatest liability on this roster. If Gus had adequately recruited the line, we could better disguise the issues at WR, for instance. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Listening now .

best take I’ve heard 

They know their stuff. 

I know this will go over like a lead balloon but I would like to hear Jim Donnan’s take on Auburn. He has been scary accurate in the past about teams on Finebaum from what I remember. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I listened. 

My point is that they are the single greatest liability on this roster. If Gus had adequately recruited the line, we could better disguise the issues at WR, for instance. 

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, but it could be argued that the DL is the weakest link.  The lack of ANY pressure on the PSU QB supports my position. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tomcat said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/9-28-mcelroy-cubelic-in-the-morning-hour-1-what-does/id1575603573?i=1000536870827

Hope this will open and play for you as it is well worth the listen. If not, you can easily find it where you get podcasts. These guys pull no punches…

Thanks for bringing this up.

Some good stuff from that segment about Brahms and K. Jones being the best two OLs. Council still hobbling around out there is head scratching especially when A. Jackson has out performed him at LG in all 4 games when he's had the opportunities. That swap seems simple to me. The OTs are still the issue we thought they'd be going into the season. Like Greg said, there are things that we can do in the passing game to mask that weakness, but we're not doing them. That's on the coaches.

Also, I thought it was good that Greg called out Tank's performance. He hasn't been bad by standard, but he has left some meat on the bone in the run game. He's dealing with being banged up and operating behind that OL so it's a minor criticism IMO.

Good stuff from Cube and his conversation with Saban about players only responding to playing time. We've seen some of that out of Harsin already. Let's hope our guys respond positively.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I listened. 

Defenses are stacking the box and forcing the offense to throw. It’s hard to block guys who are outnumbering you at the LOS. The OL has nothing to do with guys dropping TD passes

1 minute ago, Sizzle said:

Defenses are stacking the box and forcing the offense to throw. It’s hard to block guys who are outnumbering you at the LOS. The OL has nothing to do with guys dropping TD passes

You are right, the WRs have absolutely nothing to do with the point I was making. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, but it could be argued that the DL is the weakest link.  The lack of ANY pressure on the PSU QB supports my position. 

Some of the blame has to be on the defensive staff, too, for thinking that we could generate a pass rush with only 3 or 4 DL. 

Steele was dealing with the same lack of pure pass rushers and he managed to find ways to still generate pressures and sacks.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

The lack of a pass rush was maybe the biggest issue in that game, but it also resulted from scheme, in the hopes that we could get to the QB with three or four. It didn't help that we got burned a couple of times when we decided to bring more, notably one TD pass to the tight end that I recall. 

There are clearly multiple roster deficiencies and position groups who aren't making the grade on this team, and I think that is something we can all agree on. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Agreed. Dline seems to be as inept if not more than the Oline

The segment at 23:29 is what it all comes down to and it's been building for years. Cole nails it in his response at 24:18.

@Mikey what are your thoughts?

• Like 3