2022 4* Guard/Wing Chance Westry Commits to Auburn

ellitor

22 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

This video should be pinned on this thread.

I'm super excited about Traore and Broome, but they obviously have huge shoes to fill (pun intended). I feel like Westry has the chance to elevate our team in a similar way as Okoro, but in more of a Samir or Canty style. I'm not sure we've had anyone like Chance since......hmmm...I'm struggling to think of someone.  

I feel like Heron got downhill in isolation as well as anyone we’ve had (when healthy), but Westry’s handle + length could make him a problem to try to contest. Hopefully he develops some finesse finishes, at least until the strength comes on 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2022 4* Guard/Wing Chance Westry Commits to Auburn
On 5/14/2022 at 11:37 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I feel like Heron got downhill in isolation as well as anyone we’ve had (when healthy), but Westry’s handle + length could make him a problem to try to contest. Hopefully he develops some finesse finishes, at least until the strength comes on 

Spot on.

I had forgotten about Heron, but that may be the closest in recent history.  I was going all the way back to Marquis Daniels and Jamison Brewer, but I still don't think it's the right comparison. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce Pearl: Chance Westry 'can play 1, 2 or 3' for Auburn

7 hours ago

ALEXANDER CITY, Alabama — Positionless basketball has become a staple of Bruce Pearl's lineups in recent seasons. And another one of his top-rated recruits will help to continue that eclectic trend as big combo guard.

Four-star signee Chance Westry should add both to Auburn's veteran backcourt rotation and be a rotational player on the wing with senior Allen Flanigan. At 6-foot-6, Westry often played point guard at the high-school level, but has oozing athleticism to make plays as a scorer, too.

“Chance gives us great flexibility,” Pearl said Monday before his Fore The Children golf fundraiser in Alexander City. “He can play 1, 2 or 3. I'm anxious to see — I mean, he's a natural wing, but he's really good with the ball in his hands.”

Westry committed to Auburn after an official visit Halloween weekend and signed with the program the following month.

A top-35 prospect in the 2022 class and the No. 12 small forward, Westry averaged 24.1 points and 5.3 rebounds his sophomore season at Trinity High School in Camp Hill. He then transferred to powerhouse Sierra Canyon in California, and moved schools again to play Hillcrest Prep in Phoenix for his senior year.

Five-star big man Yohan Traore has received plenty of attention in Auburn’s current haul of recruits, but Westry is also one of the best prospects of the Pearl era; he’s the fifth-highest rated recruit in program history behind Jabari Smith, Sharife Cooper, Mustapha Heron and Traore.

“Chance is one of the most underrated prospects in this class,” Pearl said when Westry signed. “We run a four-guard system, and he has great versatility to play with and without the basketball. He is a long, active defender with a really high basketball IQ. He can get downhill and score through traffic but is a really willing passer. Chance has tremendous upside and wants to be great.”

Westry's role could see a significant uptick if Flanigan elects to turn pro, leaving the 3 position lacking experience for Auburn — though a transfer would be even more likely in that scenario. Pearl said Monday that Flanigan has a few more workouts this week at the NBA G League Elite Camp in Chicago.

But in the backcourt, where Auburn returns starters Zep Jasper and K.D. Johnson, along with sixth man Wendell Green Jr., and brings in three-star freshman Tre Donaldson, Westry will further deepen a rotation that should have plenty of fresh legs for the gauntlet of SEC play.

“Can (Westry) challenge Zep and Wendell and Tre?” Pearl said. “Tre is more of a point guard, but Tre can do things with or without the ball also? I think the competition is going to be great in the summer. But I also think there are gonna be some guys. Wendell is going to be a point guard. Tre can play 1 and 2. Zep can play 1 and 2. Chance can play 1, 2 or 3. So there will be some real good competition and some opportunities to move some guys around a lot.”

3 hours ago, toddc said:

Bruce Pearl: Chance Westry 'can play 1, 2 or 3' for Auburn

7 hours ago

ALEXANDER CITY, Alabama — Positionless basketball has become a staple of Bruce Pearl's lineups in recent seasons. And another one of his top-rated recruits will help to continue that eclectic trend as big combo guard.

Four-star signee Chance Westry should add both to Auburn's veteran backcourt rotation and be a rotational player on the wing with senior Allen Flanigan. At 6-foot-6, Westry often played point guard at the high-school level, but has oozing athleticism to make plays as a scorer, too.

“Chance gives us great flexibility,” Pearl said Monday before his Fore The Children golf fundraiser in Alexander City. “He can play 1, 2 or 3. I'm anxious to see — I mean, he's a natural wing, but he's really good with the ball in his hands.”

Westry committed to Auburn after an official visit Halloween weekend and signed with the program the following month.

A top-35 prospect in the 2022 class and the No. 12 small forward, Westry averaged 24.1 points and 5.3 rebounds his sophomore season at Trinity High School in Camp Hill. He then transferred to powerhouse Sierra Canyon in California, and moved schools again to play Hillcrest Prep in Phoenix for his senior year.

Five-star big man Yohan Traore has received plenty of attention in Auburn’s current haul of recruits, but Westry is also one of the best prospects of the Pearl era; he’s the fifth-highest rated recruit in program history behind Jabari Smith, Sharife Cooper, Mustapha Heron and Traore.

“Chance is one of the most underrated prospects in this class,” Pearl said when Westry signed. “We run a four-guard system, and he has great versatility to play with and without the basketball. He is a long, active defender with a really high basketball IQ. He can get downhill and score through traffic but is a really willing passer. Chance has tremendous upside and wants to be great.”

Westry's role could see a significant uptick if Flanigan elects to turn pro, leaving the 3 position lacking experience for Auburn — though a transfer would be even more likely in that scenario. Pearl said Monday that Flanigan has a few more workouts this week at the NBA G League Elite Camp in Chicago.

But in the backcourt, where Auburn returns starters Zep Jasper and K.D. Johnson, along with sixth man Wendell Green Jr., and brings in three-star freshman Tre Donaldson, Westry will further deepen a rotation that should have plenty of fresh legs for the gauntlet of SEC play.

“Can (Westry) challenge Zep and Wendell and Tre?” Pearl said. “Tre is more of a point guard, but Tre can do things with or without the ball also? I think the competition is going to be great in the summer. But I also think there are gonna be some guys. Wendell is going to be a point guard. Tre can play 1 and 2. Zep can play 1 and 2. Chance can play 1, 2 or 3. So there will be some real good competition and some opportunities to move some guys around a lot.”

I'm questioning our ability to bring in a quality wing with the roster makeup as it stands. Bruce was talking like Tre might get some playing time. I wonder if there's any chance he'll be the tenth man, coming in for those few minutes when neither Green nor Westry is on the floor, and go ahead and eat that last scholarship, as opposed to taking a marginal player just to fill in 10-15 minutes a game.

Of course, hopefully that will be a moot point, because hopefully we'll land one of the portal wings that fits our needs perfectly...I'm just not counting on that happening at this point. 

Pearl seems to think Westry is very good 3 who has the skills to play 1 and 2 also. If  Flanigan is really back  between him and Westry we should be solid at the 3 and if Moore has recovered he might even be able to give us some minutes at the three.  I am excited about Westry and hope he is as good as Pearl Indicates. This should gives us the flexibility to not grab another player this year if we can't find the right player. Basically A really Good Westry with a really good Flanigan gives Auburn the Luxury of getting a real strong 2 if there is one we want and who wants us or skipping picking up another player this year if we can't get the player that we need.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So here's the thing I feel people get mixed up with as far as looking at the potential to play the 1. There's much more to it than dribbling, but when it comes to dribbling there's differences between that too. 

When we would have debates about the guy that played here that transferred to Tennessee, it seemed like the majority of people on here thought he was an all conference talent that was a good option to play point, I disagreed.....what made me disagree was I could see that he literally couldn't dribble with a guy guarding him without placing his back to the basket and using it as a shield.  To the untrained eye people would look at his game and think it was great but there are big limitations to not being able to face guys up.

As far as Westry he seems capable but all his stuff is when he's attacking and going downhill. When he's looking to score. I wrote another time, I don't know who said it that made everyone come to the conclusion that he can run point.....but just me personally I'm waiting to see film of him actually playing point because there's not enough film out now to really know if he can play point.

We already have a bunch of guys who can dribble and try to score but we found out that it takes much more than that to play point. We need someone that can facilitate. The thing going for him is even if he's not great at it but shows some potential to being able to do it a little he'll get clock because nobody else can do it. 

I guess we'll see soon though!

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

So here's the thing I feel people get mixed up with as far as looking at the potential to play the 1. There's much more to it than dribbling, but when it comes to dribbling there's differences between that too. 

When we would have debates about the guy that played here that transferred to Tennessee, it seemed like the majority of people on here thought he was an all conference talent that was a good option to play point, I disagreed.....what made me disagree was I could see that he literally couldn't dribble with a guy guarding him without placing his back to the basket and using it as a shield.  To the untrained eye people would look at his game and think it was great but there are big limitations to not being able to face guys up.

As far as Westry he seems capable but all his stuff is when he's attacking and going downhill. When he's looking to score. I wrote another time, I don't know who said it that made everyone come to the conclusion that he can run point.....but just me personally I'm waiting to see film of him actually playing point because there's not enough film out now to really know if he can play point.

We already have a bunch of guys who can dribble and try to score but we found out that it takes much more than that to play point. We need someone that can facilitate. The thing going for him is even if he's not great at it but shows some potential to being able to do it a little he'll get clock because nobody else can do it. 

I guess we'll see soon though!

I really did not see this high level of praise for Powell. He played over his ranking and was our best option at PG that season for the few games he got to play with Sharif out. And i think all that got people in his corner. But all-conference type player?? If anyone was saying that then i think they were getting WAY ahead of themselves. And he has definitely proved since leaving that the hype he built over the 10 games or so he played at AU was over blown.

Either way you make an excellent point on being able to play PG and being able to handle the ball are not the same thing. Especially in the BP offense there is a lot expected out of the PG. Need to facilitate AND score. But being a PG is just as much about running the offense. Setting the pace.....seeing the court...anticipating who will be open before they are open. Very much like playing QB where a strong arm does not guarantee success. 

Good thread with clips for both sides of the ball. kid looks like he has a plus wingspan if I had to guess, so that combined with his active hands, he really should be a terror against guards once he gets his weight up 

I really hope we’re lucky enough to get him for multiple years

From various clips I’ve seen, the guy really has some potential to be a great secondary playmaker one day. I think like a Marcus Smart, Jrue Holiday type, where you’ll probably never have them be your sole playmaker if you can have it, but they can do their thing if needed 

• 5 months later...

https://mobile.twitter.com/JFergusonAU/status/1614000004796157957/photo/1

seems like a pretty final note in Westry’s freshman year, unless we have a case like 2018-19 that lends itself to another guard being needed late, ala Jvon McCormick 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

Has anyone heard anything more on Westry? Is his season done?

The article in post above yours seems to indicate that.  Changing subject a little. What is short and long term status on Chris Moore?

On 1/13/2023 at 4:13 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JFergusonAU/status/1614000004796157957/photo/1

seems like a pretty final note in Westry’s freshman year, unless we have a case like 2018-19 that lends itself to another guard being needed late, ala Jvon McCormick 

Love that Bruce is looking out for the player though.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Love that Bruce is looking out for the player though.

Hope it does not cost use like it did with Powell. Played it super safe with him and he leaves. Though i don't know if holding him out due to that concussion led him to leave. Just hope player, coach, and parents are all on same page with how he is being handled. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gravejd said:

Hope it does not cost use like it did with Powell. Played it super safe with him and he leaves. Though i don't know if holding him out due to that concussion led him to leave. Just hope player, coach, and parents are all on same page with how he is being handled. 

Powell's problem had once source only. That was/is Powell's dad. One year at Tennessee, now he's at Washington State. I feel sorry for the kid, he could have helped us here and added talent to some winning teams.

• Haha 1