It's all About Recruiting

twilli13

2 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

That is all. 

100% this. Appalled at the state of our recruiting and program in general.

Edited by AUwent
  • Facepalm 1

28 minutes ago, shabby said:

Welp were screwed then

How long will the current regime really last if we keep our current recruiting status?

We really need to figure out how to utilize NIL to our advantage because everyone else is already doing it... and it's not just Football:

FB: We don't really have to discuss this.

MBB: I do follow Basketball but many other posters here are more knowledgeable. Kentucky is putting together an insane recruiting class. Arkansas and Alabama recruiting top 5-stars who normally should go to Gonzaga, Duke, UNC.. I read that Saban was indirectly involved in landing Bradley... and I am sure NIL played a role here. Memphis has figured it out too: https://dailymemphian.com/article/24398/memphis-tigers-emoni-bates-signs-nil-deal-roc-nation Fortunately, UGA Basketball sucks which is great for our recruiting.

Swimming: We signed solid classes this year (Top 10 nationally, Women's and Men's swimming) but we have a new HC now and currently it looks like many of the top 2022 swimmers already committed to other programs. Although, we do sign good HS swimmers but programs like UGA recruit internationally. UGA is currently recruiting half of South Africa's national team including future international superstar Matt Sates (already committed). Texas is a national powerhouse and Florida is still signing pretty talented swimmers, esp this year's class looks promising. NC State and Virginia have top classes which means we can't recruit these areas. We have to recruit internationally if we want to be competitive (and NIL won't help here due to U.S. visa restrictions).

Gymnastics: This should be the least of our concerns, we signed the Olympic AA gold medal winner and currently have another 5-star Int. elite committed (who might represent Team USA at the World Championships later this month). We also have another 4-star elite gymnast committed (2023 class). However, Florida and LSU just keep signing even better classes. Florida probably signed the best class in NCAA history (all sports). Arkansas' new coaching staff (basically a UCLA produced staff) is aggressively recruiting the nation's top gymnasts and UGA and Alabama are out there recruiting hard (incl. internationally, e.g. Canadian Olympians). Clemson now starting a new program...

Baseball: I don't really follow Baseball.

Edited by AUreo
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, AUwent said:

How long will the current regime really last if we keep our current recruiting status?

Another year minimum....

Well duh!!

It's the chicken or the egg question. Winning and recruiting, I think winning will have to come first. We've just been a rollercoaster for so long while a select few in this conference have been more consistent, one of which is down right excellent on the field. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I think Harsin can get us there. It won't happen overnight and we can't expect it to be. It's a rebuild in the trenches though and it's difficult to understand how early playing time isn't getting us some traction. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gr82be said:

It's the chicken or the egg question. Winning and recruiting, I think winning will have to come first. We've just been a rollercoaster for so long while a select few in this conference have been more consistent, one of which is down right excellent on the field. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I think Harsin can get us there. It won't happen overnight and we can't expect it to be. It's a rebuild in the trenches though and it's difficult to understand how early playing time isn't getting us some traction. 

I really hope we can start pulling some big time lineman on both sides soon. Early signing day isnt that far off and regular signing day really isnt a world away either. We really need to start things with building at both lines. 

Mmmm, kind of. IMO Tater Tot was an outstanding game day coach and one of the worst recruiters any top tier program has ever seen. He hung on for years winning with Dyes talent. This staff doesnt have that inherited talent luxery and is definitely not Tot yet on game day, so either it needs to gel in collective game planning and/or recruiting results, or...turn out the lights, the party's over. (Can you believe there's no GIF for "Dandy Don" Meredith!?!?)

On 10/2/2021 at 7:34 PM, AUwent said:

Do you believe the current staff will not improve in recruiting over the next few years?

Edited by SumterAubie

36 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Do you believe the current staff will not improve in recruiting over the next few years?

I think it’s definitely possible! But we are definitely going to need it. I hope we can be competitive enough tomorrow to impress recruits.

Edited by AUwent

24 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I think it’s definitely possible! But we are definitely going to need it. I hope we can be competitive enough tomorrow to impress recruits.

So if you think it is definitely possible why do you continue to poor mouth about how it is now?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

So if you think it is definitely possible why do you continue to poor mouth about how it is now?

Well, we are ranked 40th. And while our goal this year should just be to finish in the top 20, we are going to need a grand slam of an OL class starting next. If you have strong lines, the rest will take care of itself most of the time.

Edited by AUwent

Guest MustardSeed
12 hours ago, AUwent said:

There’s currently (43) confirmed 4/5 stars coming. That doesn’t count unconfirmed ones and ones with less than 4 stars. 
Im thinking recruiting THIS YEAR will turn out better than expected. 

19 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

There’s currently (43) confirmed 4/5 stars coming. That doesn’t count unconfirmed ones and ones with less than 4 stars. 
Im thinking recruiting THIS YEAR will turn out better than expected. 

A lot of them are for 2023, but I see your point. However, the fact is that they’re coming for a game where there is a very good possibility we get blown out. If we can hang with the Mutts for three quarters, I think it will probably impress them.

Edited by AUwent

11 minutes ago, AUwent said:

A lot of them are for 2023, but I see your point. However, the fact is that they’re coming for a game where there is a very good possibility we get blown out. If we can hang with the Mutts for three quarters, I think it will probably impress them.

I really think the score really isn't going to be the main factor with all these recruits, at least this recruiting group.

Yes, its goes without saying you always feel more positive about our chances if we play well and definitely if we pull the upset. It's an adrenaline thing even for fans but that always doesn't translate to the recruits. 

But I think if we just hang with them most of the game, or have a strong comeback, even if we get far behind, then the atmosphere alone at JHS and everything surrounding this type of game, will help in recruiting.

And if you know history, these massive recruiting events, never give you exactly what you want. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I really think the score really isn't going to be the main factor with all these recruits, at least this recruiting group.

Yes, its goes without saying you always feel more positive about our chances if we play well and definitely if we pull the upset. It's an adrenaline thing even for fans but that always doesn't translate to the recruits. 

But I think if we just hang with them most of the game, or have a strong comeback, even if we get far behind, then the atmosphere alone at JHS and everything surrounding this type of game, will help in recruiting.

And if you know history, these massive recruiting events, never give you exactly what you want. 

What I was saying. If this is like, say, the 2015 Iron Bowl, I think that'll be enough for the recruits.