Worm

bigbird

I’ll die on the hill that Shivers is the most under utilized player to ever come to Auburn. He would have been up there with the best RBs of all time if they used him more like Omac was. It’s criminal not to get the ball to him 10-15 times a game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 5

You know, I'm happy to see us utilize the backs and tight ends as a receiving option. Monster plays from Shivers for sure. But really, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a short passing attack is our best option and getting Shivers the ball in space is a great idea. I'm sorry we haven't done more of it this season and for the past 2 years.  Very glad we are doing it now. That's the only way we beat the corndogs.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ChrisH said:

agreed. hes the best receiving option out of the backfield. his acceleration is insane. 

:thumbsup:  Really, really fun to watch when he takes a ball in stride and hits the gas.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I’ll die on the hill that Shivers is the most under utilized player to ever come to Auburn. He would have been up there with the best RBs of all time if they used him more like Omac was. It’s criminal not to get the ball to him 10-15 times a game. 

You won't be alone on that hill

• Like 4

Yeah, he can catch. yeah, he can run. Even block. But I’m most impressed and inspired by his determination and drive to get to that damn yellow line and keep us alive! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

We don't sniff a W without him tonight!

@Momma Worm, tell him thank you for his passion and perseverance

There's a long list of players that would be in that category.

Bo, for sure.

Hunter too, on that long run that got us near the goal on our last TD. The initial part of the run was nice, but when he found a way to sidestep a sure tackle and turn it into a huge gain, made a big difference.

And definitely your choice too. Those swing passes and his one shake and bake he did on a critical 3rd down. If he doesn't elude that guy I don't think he gets the 1st down. 

Coaches are finally using Shiver using his best skills on the field. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

There's a long list of players that would be in that category.

Bo, for sure.

Hunter too, on that long run that got us near the goal on our last TD. The initial part of the run was nice, but when he found a way to sidestep a sure tackle and turn it into a huge gain, made a big difference.

And definitely your choice too. Those swing passes and his one shake and bake he did on a critical 3rd down. If he doesn't elude that guy I don't think he gets the 1st down. 

Coaches are finally using Shiver using his best skills on the field. 

Bo was the MVP, without a doubt, but he's rightfully received heaps of praise for the best game of his career.

This thread was started to single out an underutilized player for a contribution that won't show up as resoundingly on the stat sheet, and thus deserves recognition. He made some critical first down catches on third down, making guys miss, falling forward for the extra yard, hanging in during pass protection. The importance of those things cannot be overemphasized.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

hanging in during pass protection. The importance of those things cannot be overemphasized.

This can't be overlooked. A lot of talk even about his hands and speed but the play right after he got the huge 1st down on 3rd down, he hung in there and stood up the blitzing linebacker. He blocks better than our entire OL and is the smallest guy on the field. That's all heart and want to and the OL can learn a thing or two from him.

• Like 2

Yeah he really stepped up a couple times actually, some key plays. It’s not just his talent either, he’s got experience and a high football IQ in general. Our rb group really is special for sure, glad to see us taking advantage of it and devising ways to help mask the OL play. 

• Like 1

I think Shaun is kinda one of the keys (along with our Tight ends) to this offense working.

His speed and the threat of him getting the ball in space can also open up things for other skill players and stress a Defense.

IF used properly... and finally maybe they are.

There's also some intangible stuff that I think would've been nice to have vs PSU. The best drives we had featured our RBs anyway, but you'd have to think Shaun's fire and on field leadership would've helped some of the other skill position guys focus more. I dunno, but I would've loved to have him

5 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

How many converted 3rd and 10+‘s did we see, with OMac sweeps and those good blocking FB and WR.  That was a lot of fun.  He’s one of my all time favorite Tigers.  I’m sick about underutilizing Worm. May we make amends and get the ball to him plenty, the rest of the way. 

• Like 1

When it comes to Worm one thing you don't have to worry about is the effort he brings. I have been a big fan of his since that play in the end zone in the 2019  Iron Bowl.

Maybe it's just me but I think Worm has modified his running style slightly. Maybe Mamma Worm can verify. But it looks to me he has eliminated the juke-juke move (east-west) in favor of a stick-and-cut move (more north-south). In my opinion this adjustment helps maintain his forward speed and makes defenders point of contact further downfield which means more yardage.

Edited by creed
reworded
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, WFE12 said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886ubcuxkdojzr57cd2r7I'm telling you man. He fits the role.

Yep and should've been used accordingly his whole career.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, creed said:

Maybe it's just me but I think Worm has modified his running style slightly. Maybe Mamma Worm can verify. But it looks to me he has eliminated the juke-juke move (east-west) in favor of a stick-and-cut move (more north-south). In my opinion this adjustment helps keep his forward speed and make the defenders point of contact further up the field which means more yardage.

He's always been a better N/S runner.  The previous offensive coaches just didn't call plays to his strengths or allow him more than 2-3 touches a game, if that. It was embarrassingly shameful.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, creed said:

Maybe it's just me but I think Worm has modified his running style slightly. Maybe Mamma Worm can verify. But it looks to me he has eliminated the juke-juke move (east-west) in favor of a stick-and-cut move (more north-south). In my opinion this adjustment helps maintain his forward speed and makes defenders point of contact further downfield which means more yardage.

I think this is more scheme than style. If you looked at his high school film he has always been a foot-in-the-ground, get-upfield guy. His size is misleading-he is a power runner that just happens to be a little undersized and fast as hell. He is not super elusive, but not all really good RBs are

Edited by fredst
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He's always been a better N/S runner.  The previous offensive coaches just didn't call plays to his strengths or allow him more than 2-3 touches a game, if that. It was embarrassingly shameful.

Then I guess it's just me. 

The one play that made me come off the couch and yell "Hell Yea" was the first down run after catch he made Saturday. It was text book. The stick and cut was so fast the defender/s must have shouted Hudini.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

I think this is more scheme than style. If you looked at his high school film he has always been a foot-in-the-ground, get-upfield guy. His size is misleading-he is a power runner that just happens to be a little undersized and fast as hell

Yes, makes sense. Previous scheme didn't help. Football is a game inches and Worm works and fights to get every inch of yardage. On a side not I used to coach little league football and one of our RBs fought for every inch. I remember he would be digging his feet in the ground trying to move his body forward under the pile to get that last inch.

• Like 1