Worm

bigbird

43 minutes ago, creed said:

Maybe it's just me but I think Worm has modified his running style slightly. Maybe Mamma Worm can verify. But it looks to me he has eliminated the juke-juke move (east-west) in favor of a stick-and-cut move (more north-south). In my opinion this adjustment helps maintain his forward speed and makes defenders point of contact further downfield which means more yardage.

You can dig back in the archives and see @bigbird and some others begging for Gus to run the exact pass plays that he had success with the other night, where he's already moving due north at the point of the catch. (Shout out to QB1 for some really crisp passes, too.) 

Like the OP said, it's just so exciting that this head coach knows what he has in Worm and let his playmaker make plays with the game on the line. He didn't outthink himself or try to alter the parameters of real American football to win the game. He trusted his players to win the game. And Worm stepped up like we all knew he could. New day, fam!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Oh, by the way, I guarantee you Hars and Bobo will keep finding different ways to use Worm, too. They are going to attack the defense they're facing. They may or may not find success- there are some teams on our schedule that are just a lot more talented than us- but at least we're gonna throw some speed and violence at them. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, by the way, I guarantee you Hars and Bobo will keep finding different ways to use Worm, too. They are going to attack the defense they're facing. They may or may not find success- there are some teams on our schedule that are just a lot more talented than us- but at least we're gonna throw some speed and violence at them. 

They've set up UGA.

Their LBs will fly to the boundary when Shivers starts the flat and he'll break off the angle instead to be wide open

• Love 4

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

They've set up UGA.

Their LBs will fly to the boundary when Shivers starts the flat and he'll break off the angle instead to be wide open

Are you talking a modified wheel or break to the middle of the field where the lbs originated?

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

They've set up UGA.

Nice! And it stands to reason that they know we're not going to win with small ball, and that we're going to have to put a couple over the fence, and that Worm is that kind of player. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WFE12 said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886ubcuxkdojzr57cd2r7I'm telling you man. He fits the role.

The only thing him and Sproles have in common are size.  They are completely different type of players.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nice! And it stands to reason that they know we're not going to win with small ball, and that we're going to have to put a couple over the fence, and that Worm is that kind of player. 

Somehow-Someway we have to force their defense to make extra steps or react slower to get to the point of contact. Misdirection is one way, giving them multiple options to think about and defend is another. In the end I suppose the best we can hope for is getting one-on-one situations and we win our share. 

• Like 1

Thank God folks are seeing what an asset Worm is to our team. And I am so thankful that this thread has not broken down to criticism about his size, etc. like it has done in the past. Where are those folks now??? I always knew he had something special. I am glad Harsin has seen that and is utilizing him correctly.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Thank God folks are seeing what an asset Worm is to our team. And I am so thankful that this thread has not broken down to criticism about his size, etc. like it has done in the past. Where are those folks now??? I always knew he had something special. I am glad Harsin has seen that and is utilizing him correctly.

I think those folks might be pacified because we're still not running Worm between the tackles. They might even feel vindicated. And, to be fair, we have Tank and an emerging star in Hunter. Although if Tank doesn't heal up, regain his form, whatever, though, Worm might have some more put on his plate. I know he's ready for the call. He can still do a lot more than what we've seen this season.

But man... just to see that trust from Harsin... the recognition of who needs the ball in crunch time... That game the other night was absolutely jam packed with things to be happy and optimistic about, but that shift in thinking is near the top.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, creed said:

Are you talking a modified wheel or break to the middle of the field where the lbs originated?

Yes, break back to the middle

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

@McLoofus, I like that Harsin isn't coaching out of a place of fear. He's willing to try all kinds of things, use all players, to make things happen. He has a confidence we have been missing for quite a while.

Perfectly stated!

21 hours ago, Rednilla said:

........ hanging in during pass protection.   The importance of those things cannot be overemphasized.

well said.   

I saw Worm make one hellova block.   He stood up a big DL  at full speed rushing at Nix.    Oh no,  he didn't just chip they guy,  Worm stoned the guy in his tracks.     Looked like the lineman ran into a brick wall.  That block gave Nix an extra 2 seconds in the pocket.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I agree..he had impact in game 1. But injury caused him to miss a few games. Comes back for our 1st SEC game and makes plays. Kid is a baller, and provides great leadership. If he plays at PSU, it might have been a different outcome.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

The play where he juked Flott out of his shoes was priceless!! And as stated on here previously, a critical first down!

No one can match his dance moves . . . 

2 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

well said.   

I saw Worm make one hellova block.   He stood up a big DL  at full speed rushing at Nix.    Oh no,  he didn't just chip they guy,  Worm stoned the guy in his tracks.     Looked like the lineman ran into a brick wall.  That block gave Nix an extra 2 seconds in the pocket.

Low man wins most battles in football. It also hurts like hell when someone rips you and the top of their helmet meets your chin. 

Edited by creed
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I think those folks might be pacified because we're still not running Worm between the tackles. They might even feel vindicated. And, to be fair, we have Tank and an emerging star in Hunter. Although if Tank doesn't heal up, regain his form, whatever, though, Worm might have some more put on his plate. I know he's ready for the call. He can still do a lot more than what we've seen this season.

But man... just to see that trust from Harsin... the recognition of who needs the ball in crunch time... That game the other night was absolutely jam packed with things to be happy and optimistic about, but that shift in thinking is near the top.

I did notice on many 3rd down plays, it was Shivers who would go in. It was more than likely a pass play, so either he was the outlet, if the pass downfield was covered or he was the first option.

So he is a critical part of their 3rd down plays....

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/3/2021 at 9:46 AM, Randman5000 said:

He did the same to Jarquez and to Bo. And flexed when knocked him out of bounds at the 1. Lol. He couldn't hold him the next play. 

He got up flexing after giving up 8 1/2 yards and dang near getting his head blown off on a "big" hit. Hunter put a shoulder in his chest on the next play TD and all the sudden he didn't want to talk and flex anymore.

• Like 1

I was very happy to see today that it was I8 that met Hunter at the goal line and lost the battle.   I looked him up on their roster, he is 240...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

He's always been a better N/S runner.  The previous offensive coaches just didn't call plays to his strengths or allow him more than 2-3 touches a game, if that. It was embarrassingly shameful.

I seriously doubt the football IQ of the former coach. We were not allowed to use his name on the game thread for fear of offending his apologists. LOL. Former Coaching Person. 

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Force (f) = mass (m) x acceleration (a)

What worm lacks in "m" he makes up in "a"

His compact 185-190 is every bit the advantage that a more stretched out, less dense 200-205 is. And he will literally never lose pad level. He's a problem, as the kids say these days. 

Now that Harsin is getting him the ball in space, with him already accelerating when he gets it? Hoo boy our dude is going to deliver pain. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

His compact 185-190 is every bit the advantage that a more stretched out, less dense 200-205 is. And he will literally never lose pad level. He's a problem, as the kids say these days. 

Now that Harsin is getting him the ball in space, with him already accelerating when he gets it? Hoo boy our dude is going to deliver pain. 

I agree. 

His relatively low stature is an asset with that speed.  I'd hate to face that combination of low, dense and fast that's going to hit you well below your center of gravity. 

Not easy to "wrap up" on that.

• Like 3