Defense balled out too!

tbone4jc

After the horrible first 1 1/2 quarters they found a pass rush, remembered how to gang tackle and cover receivers. The last 3 LSU possessions our defense stood tall, stepped up and straight balled. 

Give all props to Bo but this victory would not have happened if not for this defense! War Eagle and IGTBAAT!

Edited by tbone4jc
  • Like 6

It’s a frustrating Ted Roof bend don’t break defense through and through. They sleepwalk through the first half and make the stops when they should in the second. 

Said it before, but I really wish Mason would come out of the booth. He was always so ecstatic and pumping his team up when he was at Vandy. It would be nice to see that on the sideline. 

• Like 3

And was done w 2 DL (Walker and moultry) at home and LB Pappoe cheering from sidelines!  Built some depth.  We ran some crazy D stuff...had smoke playing LB some and pushed Hall back to LB few times.  DB got better as game progressed but man, other teams WR seem to run free in the 1st half.  But it’s a W in Baton Rouge and we will all take it!!  WDE 

• Like 2

Defense bowed up when it mattered. I believe Jaylin Simpson is our best dB and it is not even close. Dude made some gave saving tackles last night.. shout out to him. 

• Like 6

Guest MustardSeed

Funny side note 

In the pregame someone mentioned that us missing several guys who weren’t going to be playing wouldn’t help out our pass rush. I joked that since we didn’t have one anyways maybe missing them would help it out. 
Never expected that to be a prophetic word 🤣

Hopefully these adjustments carry forward to future games.

The 1st half game plan defensively was awful

• Like 1

without the D we would have lost. with out the O we would have lost. I hope we can have a team spirit and not a QB adoration about this win.

Guest MustardSeed
18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Hopefully these adjustments carry forward to future games.

The 1st half game plan defensively was awful

I think you’re being too kind. 
5 yard cushions on receivers is basically calling a prevent defense every play. And we all know that only prevents you from winning. 

2 hours ago, AuMarine said:

Defense bowed up when it mattered. I believe Jaylin Simpson is our best dB and it is not even close. Dude made some gave saving tackles last night.. shout out to him. 

Yes....great call out. Some nice tackles out in space 1 on 1 where if the WR got loose, we were in trouble. Again, great call out. 

• Thanks 1

2nd half adjustments are great!

D is only giving up 6 points per game in the 2nd half.

if we can figure out how to start out like that we have a chance in every game going forward. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AubFanCT said:

Yes....great call out. Some nice tackles out in space 1 on 1 where if the WR got loose, we were in trouble. Again, great call out. 

Zion was amazing at breaking down and securing the tackles. I'm thrilled that they finally inserted him into the game

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AuMarine said:

Simpson is definitely solid and I am glad as anybody he is back, but to say he is our best and it's not even close is crazy. Roger McCreary has a lot to say about that. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Zion was amazing at breaking down and securing the tackles. I'm thrilled that they finally inserted him into the game

Puckett played very well. I have been waiting on him to shine for 2 years. Glad he is coming along. 

I was so impressed last night with Hall, Wooden, and Eku. Eku had a scary good game kind of under the radar. I don't think he had a ton of stats, but he disrupted the QB quite a bit. Hall was a monster and is finally playing like I hoped he would all season. Wooden is Wooden. 

I thought CDM did a great job of showing different looks with the personnel. Moving Derick Hall around the way he did was great to see.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Simpson is definitely solid and I am glad as anybody he is back, but to say he is our best and it's not even close is crazy. Roger McCreary has a lot to say about that. 

Ok. 

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think RM is our best corner.

I think we play our best D with Simpson on the field and, to me, that's not close

• Like 2

Wow not even close? Ok. I'd say mcreary is our best corner imo.Simpson did make at least one tackle that was super impactful. 

Also it seems everybody hates smoke these days but he saved another touchdown this game. I'm just going to make sure he get his praise too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Wow not even close? Ok. I'd say mcreary is our best corner imo.Simpson did make at least one tackle that was super impactful. 

Also it seems everybody hates smoke these days but he saved another touchdown this game. I'm just going to make sure he get his praise too.

It just seems like every time I see Smoke he is chasing a receiver into the end zone.  I know that's not fair and it very possibly could have been a missed assignment from another player but its not a good look.  

1 minute ago, casatiger said:

It just seems like every time I see Smoke he is chasing a receiver into the end zone.  I know that's not fair and it very possibly could have been a missed assignment from another player but its not a good look.  

Seems like Smoke has at least one great play and at least one terrible play ever game. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, casatiger said:

He's definitely not perfect. I'm just making sure it's a balance because I haven't seen many giving him props but when he messes up everybody see it. 

• Like 1

Leota deserves a lot of praise. Smoke is absolutely terrible in coverage but I love how they brought him closer to line basically playing linebacker with Zion and Bydarrius at safety. That and moving Hall around was some unexpected but smart stuff. Mason knows how to make adjustments. We sold out for the pass since they wouldn't run and it worked in the second half

29 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I haven't seen many giving him props but when he messes up everybody see it.

That's just the nature of his position.  

53 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No, not close.  Having Roger, Pritchett, Simpson, Smoke, and Puckett on the field has been our best combination this year.

I would also like to see LT get some more run at NB. Not taking away from Kaufman, but I just think LT is better at NB

Just now, bigbird said:

That's just the nature of his position.  

No, not close.  Having Roger, Pritchett, Simpson, Smoke, and Puckett on the field has been our best combination this year.

I would also like to see LT get some more run at NB. Not taking away from Kaufman, but I just think LT is better at NB

I was referring to mcreary not being the best corner. And it's much more than that's just the nature of the position. It's more so somebody is going to be the blamed. But not just safety. 

I don't care who is where long as Zion is playing somewhere because he's the next guy. He's the next alpha