LSU game. What actually happened

cole256

I'll find it. I remember watching that game as it happened. It was crazy. I think one of the players proposed after the game too. It was like am I watching a movie or a game lol

• Like 2

I happen to believe that if UGA over-commits to the pass rush that Nix will take off and they'll be chasing his jackrabbit a$$ all game long. Still think we lose, but the LSU game was the unleashing of Nix's greatest weapon...dem legs.

22 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Really? If you ever have time came you give me a time stamp. I thought about what if we did something like that on the 4th down play. I think that may have increased my level of disappointment when we ran what we ran. 

I didn't know if Harsin was coaching or anything when they ran that play. The only person I was familiar with was Peterson related to the play. That was an awesome game

May make a separate thread because this is super interesting. I can't 100% confirm it was the play call, but there are some striking similarities.

Boise Hook and Ladder Comparison

Situation: 

Boise had 4th and 18 from midfield with 18 seconds left. Auburn faced 3rd and 10 from the 40 with 10 seconds left. Both teams needed a touchdown to tie.

Formation:

20211004_155741.jpg

Formation is Shotgun, trips to one side with inside slot being the man on the line. Single wide on the other side. Back to the single wide side.

Screenshot_20211004-155823_YouTube.jpg

Our formation is identical just flipped.

Play:

Screenshot_20211004-155312_YouTube.jpg

Two receivers go deep to run off the safeties and open up things underneath. Defense allows it because it's prevent. Single side wideout runs about a 15 yard in route. Meanwhile, receiver from the trips side is uncovered, coming across the field shallow from the opposite direction.

Screenshot_20211004-154941_YouTube.jpg

We send two guys deep. One on a 15 yard in. And one shallow coming across the field uncovered. Main difference is a trips side receiver is the one catching the in, as opposed to the Boise play where the single side receiver catches the hook. 

Screenshot_20211004-155343_YouTube.jpg

For Boise, they had enough space to execute the pitch. Unfortunately for us, our (alleged) hook receiver was wrapped up immediately by two guys. But it looked to me like he was trying to get a pitch off in real time.

Screenshot_20211004-155000_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-154825_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-155128_YouTube.jpg

Was it the same play? If I had to bet, I'd say yes. Too many similarities. But there is one key difference in that the Boise play was actually designed to be an option. Ian Johnson, their tailback #41, comes all the way out of the backfield to (in my educated guess) be a pitch man in an even more brilliant wrinkle.

Screenshot_20211004-155356_YouTube.jpg

Tank doesn't do that in our play. He stays in to protect. But that could be just a small tweak on the original. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i am curious as to how we handle that big ol nose guard the butt sniffers have. can we get our center help without giving up holes for others to come through?

Think whoever the coaches feel are their best pass blocking back is will be there almost every passing down. Maybe even getting a disproportionate amount of run down looks too, just so the D can't use them as a sign of what's to come. Also imagine you have more full back in the backfield than has been used to this point. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much attention you can give to the interior with how bad the edges have been. And I have a feeling 2 WR sets with Rob as one of the outside guys (definitely not his ideal role as Cole said) is asking for a repeat of previous DSORs where their CBs just man handle our guys

They're going to have concede a massive disadvantage somewhere in accounting for DL pressure. and that's not even thinking about how good Kirb's blitzes are 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

May make a separate thread because this is super interesting. I can't 100% confirm it was the play call, but there are some striking similarities.

Boise Hook and Ladder Comparison

Situation: 

Boise had 4th and 18 from midfield with 18 seconds left. Auburn faced 3rd and 10 from the 40 with 10 seconds left. Both teams needed a touchdown to tie.

Formation:

20211004_155741.jpg

Formation is Shotgun, trips to one side with inside slot being the man on the line. Single wide on the other side. Back to the single wide side.

Screenshot_20211004-155823_YouTube.jpg

Our formation is identical just flipped.

Play:

Screenshot_20211004-155312_YouTube.jpg

Two receivers go deep to run off the safeties and open up things underneath. Defense allows it because it's prevent. Single side wideout runs about a 15 yard in route. Meanwhile, receiver from the trips side is uncovered, coming across the field shallow from the opposite direction.

Screenshot_20211004-154941_YouTube.jpg

We send two guys deep. One on a 15 yard in. And one shallow coming across the field uncovered. Main difference is a trips side receiver is the one catching the in, as opposed to the Boise play where the single side receiver catches the hook. 

Screenshot_20211004-155343_YouTube.jpg

For Boise, they had enough space to execute the pitch. Unfortunately for us, our (alleged) hook receiver was wrapped up immediately by two guys. But it looked to me like he was trying to get a pitch off in real time.

Screenshot_20211004-155000_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-154825_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20211004-155128_YouTube.jpg

Was it the same play? If I had to bet, I'd say yes. Too many similarities. But there is one key difference in that the Boise play was actually designed to be an option. Ian Johnson, their tailback #41, comes all the way out of the backfield to (in my educated guess) be a pitch man in an even more brilliant wrinkle.

Screenshot_20211004-155356_YouTube.jpg

Tank doesn't do that in our play. He stays in to protect. But that could be just a small tweak on the original. 

Looks like the same play, but IMO wouldn't have worked anyway.  OU had 4 guys trying to make the tackle on the initial receiver, leaving little help.  PSU had just two guys and you can see defenders standing in the area right where the pitch man would be running towards.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'll find it. I remember watching that game as it happened. It was crazy. I think one of the players proposed after the game too. It was like am I watching a movie or a game lol

One of those moments where you are just so damned glad you were watching that game that night. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

One of those moments where you are just so damned glad you were watching that game that night. 

It felt unreal. Didn't the player propose to a cheerleader? Straight out of a movie, like Cole said. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Looks like the same play, but IMO wouldn't have worked anyway.  OU had 4 guys trying to make the tackle on the initial receiver, leaving little help.  PSU had just two guys and you can see defenders standing in the area right where the pitch man would be running towards.

I think it was the same. Also think we tipped it off. PSU called time out right before snap and we still started the setup with the throw and the trail man. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Think whoever the coaches feel are their best pass blocking back is will be there almost every passing down. Maybe even getting a disproportionate amount of run down looks too, just so the D can't use them as a sign of what's to come. Also imagine you have more full back in the backfield than has been used to this point. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much attention you can give to the interior with how bad the edges have been. And I have a feeling 2 WR sets with Rob as one of the outside guys (definitely not his ideal role as Cole said) is asking for a repeat of previous DSORs where their CBs just man handle our guys

They're going to have concede a massive disadvantage somewhere in accounting for DL pressure. and that's not even thinking about how good Kirb's blitzes are 

That's going to be the key. The couple of plays he hit shiver on check downs.....those were very easy plays as far as what you are seeing.  Middle coming at you, you can still see worm out of your peripheral and you can see there's nobody on that side of the field.

This game coming up will be a bunch of combo blitzes. Hard to pick up. You have to know where to go because of you studying as opposed to going more off what you see in the moment.

How Bo handles those type of situations will play a big part in if we win or not

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's going to be the key. The couple of plays he hit shiver on check downs.....those were very easy plays as far as what you are seeing.  Middle coming at you, you can still see worm out of your peripheral and you can see there's nobody on that side of the field.

This game coming up will be a bunch of combo blitzes. Hard to pick up. You have to know where to go because of you studying as opposed to going more off what you see in the moment.

How Bo handles those type of situations will play a big part in if we win or not

Very good post! Only thing I could add is that Auburn probably can’t even replicate most of the looks they’ll see. I feel like we aren’t a particularly good blitzing team. Could affect how that studying goes yknow 

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Why did someone give this a 1 star lol. The hate boner some of y’all have for this guy is weird 

Weird and pathetic. Two of these idiots even got themselves suspended for it lol.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Weird and pathetic. Two of these idiots even got themselves suspended for it lol.

As soon as he was able to come back I get notifications of him disliking like 5 of my posts 😂 I just can't imagine being a grown man and behaving like that. What can you do?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

As soon as he was able to come back I get notifications of him disliking like 5 of my posts 😂 I just can't imagine being a grown man and behaving like that. What can you do?

Where's the pride? Where's the dignity? 

Seems the sentence was a bit light.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed a thread where the discussion was all about the game & things people saw & things they wondered about without anyone getting into a pissing contest. This thread is fun to read. Thanks to everyone who shared insights, observations, questions, etc. As far, as UGa goes, it's been my experience in sports that it's hard to play nearly perfect 2 games in a row, & they were nearly perfect last week. So, I'm hoping they're a bit off this week. If that happens, & maybe we get a special teams play, an unexpected turnover (because right now us getting turnovers is unexpected; geez, why is that?), Bo does some more magic (we really need a name for THAT play) or Worm or Jarquez busts one, & we go to the 4th quarter tight... JHS going nuts... You know, maybe... :)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TigerTennis80 said:

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed a thread where the discussion was all about the game & things people saw & things they wondered about without anyone getting into a pissing contest. This thread is fun to read. Thanks to everyone who shared insights, observations, questions, etc. As far, as UGa goes, it's been my experience in sports that it's hard to play nearly perfect 2 games in a row, & they were nearly perfect last week. So, I'm hoping they're a bit off this week. If that happens, & maybe we get a special teams play, an unexpected turnover (because right now us getting turnovers is unexpected; geez, why is that?), Bo does some more magic (we really need a name for THAT play) or Worm or Jarquez busts one, & we go to the 4th quarter tight... JHS going nuts... You know, maybe... :)

Man it is great to just talk football isn't it!