Harsin vague about status of T.D. Moultry

aubiefifty

Auburn Football

Bryan Harsin vague about status of Auburn edge defender T.D. Moultry for Georgia game

Updated: Oct. 04, 2021, 2:29 p.m. | Published: Oct. 04, 2021, 2:10 p.m.

Auburn defensive end T.D. Moultry (99) looks over the Penn State offense during an NCAA college football game in State College, Pa., on Saturday, Sept.18, 2021.Penn State defeated Auburn 28-20. (AP Photo/Barry Reeger)AP

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn coach Bryan Harsin was vague about the status of the Tigers’ top pass-rusher heading into this weekend’s showdown with second-ranked Georgia.

Edge defender T.D. Moultry did not make the trip to LSU last weekend for Auburn’s 24-19 win in Tiger Stadium. It remains unclear as to why Moultry did not make the trip, or if he will be available for Auburn this weekend in the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry.

“I don’t know if T.D. will be here or not this week,” Harsin said Monday during his weekly press conference. “I’ll leave it at that.”

The 6-foot-2, 253-pound super senior is tied for the team lead with three sacks this season, along with fellow edge defenders Derick Hall and Eku Leota. Moultry also leads the team with six tackles for a loss.

After struggling with consistency for much of his career on the Plains, Moultry seemingly settled into his new role in Derek Mason’s defense this season. In four games, he has a career-high 23 tackles, as well as two quarterback hurries to go with his six tackles for loss and three sacks.

In Moultry’s absence against LSU, Leota got his first start off the edge for Auburn. The Northwestern transfer had one sack and a forced fumble in Baton Rouge, La., and now has eight tackles on the season, with five for a loss and three sacks.

“It was good to have him out there,” Harsin said. “I mean, this is why he came here, to be in the game. He did some things off the edge that were positive.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Hate it for TD, but love what we saw out of Leota and Height this past week. I’m also pretty sure I saw Caleb Johnson getting some snaps and was happy to see that. He played pretty well last season. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Auburn Football

Bryan Harsin vague about status of Auburn edge defender T.D. Moultry for Georgia game

Updated: Oct. 04, 2021, 2:29 p.m. | Published: Oct. 04, 2021, 2:10 p.m.

Auburn defensive end T.D. Moultry (99) looks over the Penn State offense during an NCAA college football game in State College, Pa., on Saturday, Sept.18, 2021.Penn State defeated Auburn 28-20. (AP Photo/Barry Reeger)AP

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn coach Bryan Harsin was vague about the status of the Tigers’ top pass-rusher heading into this weekend’s showdown with second-ranked Georgia.

Edge defender T.D. Moultry did not make the trip to LSU last weekend for Auburn’s 24-19 win in Tiger Stadium. It remains unclear as to why Moultry did not make the trip, or if he will be available for Auburn this weekend in the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry.

“I don’t know if T.D. will be here or not this week,” Harsin said Monday during his weekly press conference. “I’ll leave it at that.”

The 6-foot-2, 253-pound super senior is tied for the team lead with three sacks this season, along with fellow edge defenders Derick Hall and Eku Leota. Moultry also leads the team with six tackles for a loss.

After struggling with consistency for much of his career on the Plains, Moultry seemingly settled into his new role in Derek Mason’s defense this season. In four games, he has a career-high 23 tackles, as well as two quarterback hurries to go with his six tackles for loss and three sacks.

In Moultry’s absence against LSU, Leota got his first start off the edge for Auburn. The Northwestern transfer had one sack and a forced fumble in Baton Rouge, La., and now has eight tackles on the season, with five for a loss and three sacks.

“It was good to have him out there,” Harsin said. “I mean, this is why he came here, to be in the game. He did some things off the edge that were positive.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

The on3 posters that know what they're talking about are saying its a compliance department issue... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, God Cam It said:

The on3 posters that know what they're talking about are saying its a compliance department issue... 

….and in-the-know posters elsewhere. Not excited about what’s being alleged. 

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

….and in-the-know posters elsewhere. Not excited about what’s being alleged. 

I'm banned from the other 2 so on3 and here is the only place I can discuss Auburn! One day I'll learn to just keep my mouth shut. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's going to be really really stupid if Gus gets us put on probations, especially when it's essentially open season paying kids now

Can we get some of Gus's buyout back for putting us on probation?

Edited by W.E.D
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

28 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's going to be really really stupid if Gus gets us put on probations, especially when it's essentially open season paying kids now

It would absolutely be the most Gus thing ever.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

How do you always assume the absolute worst case scenario? 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

How do you always assume the absolute worst case scenario? 

what are you talking about?

3 hours ago, God Cam It said:

I'm banned from the other 2 so on3 and here is the only place I can discuss Auburn! One day I'll learn to just keep my mouth shut. 

I haven’t yet..😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Care to elaborate on what you are referring to? I know I'm not in the secret club, so it's ok if you want to keep it down home.

13 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Care to elaborate on what you are referring to? I know I'm not in the secret club, so it's ok if you want to keep it down home.

I'm not either, just piecing stuff together from various boards.  But it is rumored a booster possibly hooked him up with some extra benefits when he was a recruit. 

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, W.E.D said:

he did help pay for the football complex  so ill take that as a win considering he's not here. 

14 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Seems you have a pretty good idea of what allegedly happened...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, auskip07 said:

he did help pay for the football complex  so ill take that as a win considering he's not here. 

He probably took that money back after getting fired 

But I thought Gus ran a super clean ship, and that was one of the reasons everyone loved him?!?!?

7 minutes ago, fishepa said:

But I thought Gus ran a super clean ship, and that was one of the reasons everyone loved him?!?!?

He did run a clean locker room, and deserves to be celebrated for that.

As for recruiting, I have no idea what he knew and what he didn't. But there are usually layers between the HC and that stuff to ensure they have plausible deniability.

In Gus's case, he went straight from high school to coordinator and wasn't ever an in-the-trenches recruiting guy, so he really might not have a ton of first hand experience with how the sausage gets made. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fishepa said:

He had a super clean vocabulary, a very important quality to love in a football coach.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not either, just piecing stuff together from various boards.  But it is rumored a booster possibly hooked him up with some extra benefits when he was a recruit. 

Just now getting leaked. That's one slow leak.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

If thats the case, I’m pretty sure the NCAA has a 5 year statute of limitations. TD as a recruit would put him outside that window or come real close. I could be wrong though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Damn I hope not. He has done absolutely nothing to warrant any extra benefits. I hope this is just more talk. 

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Geez, if it was when he was a recruit that could be 5 years ago. 

And if our compliance dept is involved, it will for sure not be resolved, one way or the other, before the season is over.

34 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Geez, if it was when he was a recruit that could be 5 years ago. 

And if our compliance dept is involved, it will for sure not be resolved, one way or the other, before the season is over.

The timing seems really weird 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, creed said:

Just now getting leaked. That's one slow leak.

Sounds like the left rear tire on my Golf. 

I just pump a little air back in every couple of months and reset my "low tire" warning system.   ;)

Edited by homersapien
  • Haha 1