Do we see Finley this Saturday? Offer your thoughts

McLoofus

I'm guessing we all agree now that we don't have a quarterback controversy or a two QB system. YMMV on how good or bad they've been overall, how much the LSU game really meant, etc... but Bo is our starter and Finley is our backup. Agreed? 

So with that said, is there a predetermined game script situation- 3rd series, certain down and distance in the 4th quarter, 2 minute drill, etc- where it makes sense to rotate Finley in? Does his skill set lend itself to a modified offense for certain situations? 

For example, does it make any sense at all to dink, dunk, RPO and maybe even read option them for a quarter and a half and then bring in the Howitzer to take the top off the defense? I'm guessing that would be rather transparent but it's the best my very limited football brain could do. 

This is not a "When we're not able to move the ball" or a "When Bo plays poorly" hypothetical. I'm thinking proactive and strategic, here. Not reactive and desperate. And I'm definitely not predicting any struggles on Bo's part beyond what uga has been doing to every offense they've faced. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm guessing we all agree now that we don't have a quarterback controversy or a two QB system. YMMV on how good or bad they've been overall, how much the LSU game really meant, etc... but Bo is our starter and Finley is our backup. Agreed? 

So with that said, is there a predetermined game script situation- 3rd series, certain down and distance in the 4th quarter, 2 minute drill, etc- where it makes sense to rotate Finley in? Does his skill set lend itself to a modified offense for certain situations? 

For example, does it make any sense at all to dink, dunk, RPO and maybe even read option them for a quarter and a half and then bring in the Howitzer to take the top off the defense? I'm guessing that would be rather transparent but it's the best my very limited football brain could do. 

This is not a "When we're not able to move the ball" or a "When Bo plays poorly" hypothetical. I'm thinking proactive and strategic, here. Not reactive and desperate. And I'm definitely not predicting any struggles on Bo's part beyond what uga has been doing to every offense they've faced. 

I see 2 scenarios for TJ with Harsin.

1. He again allows TJ to run a series after the first 2 by Bo. But only if Bo doesn't deliver a score in those 2 series.

2. If Bo, again is not effective by mid 3rd qtr, I see Finley coming in to again try to jump start the offense.

• Like 5

I really dont know if we see him or not.  I do know that pass he threw to Shenker when he was in the game was a beauty, with a ton of zip and hit him perfectly in stride.  We got tacked with a 15 yard penalty on it, then the drive stalled.

Listening to a podcast, and I did not notice this during the game and may have missed it, but after his series was TJ sitting on the bench with a towel over his head?  Compared to Bo being visible on the sideline cheering him on?

2 minutes ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

was TJ sitting on the bench with a towel over his head?  Compared to Bo being visible on the sideline cheering him on?

Bo was cheering him on because he knew the dude was only getting one series before Bo went back in.

Regardless, there is zero value in bringing that up in this thread. If you're that interested in digging up dirt on TJ, then please go dig it up and feel free to report back elsewhere. 

• Like 1

If TJ is in the game then the game is probably out of hand and Harsin is getting him some reps.  Its so disruptive to bring qbs in and out of games.  

• Like 2

I've always thought if your QB is on a roll you leave him in. For instance if we don't move the ball well the first 2 drives but the QB is settling in and improving then you leave him in (assuming coaches are adjusting to the defense). If after 3 series you haven't done anything it's definitely time for the backup to get a shot if he's competent...and I think TJ is.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I could see CBH giving him a designated 3rd series regardless of the score.  If anything it may help settle down any nerves Nix and the offense might have in such a big game and help bring them back into focus.  Finley does have some intangibles that Bo doesn't have and you just never know how they'll react.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Bo was cheering him on because he knew the dude was only getting one series before Bo went back in.

Regardless, there is zero value in bringing that up in this thread. If you're that interested in digging up dirt on TJ, then please go dig it up and feel free to report back elsewhere. 

I agree. I'm tired of people looking for something because of the way that players act on the sidelines. It wasn't too long ago(like last year) that Bo was criticized because of his antics on the sidelines.

It only matters to the coaches how the QBs handle themselves in practice, meetings, etc...Harsin pays attention to all that, especially with QBs.

I would love for Bo to pick up where he left off last week and move this offense well. We will need his mobility against this front 7 of GA. They are dominant.

I foresee if we have to rely on Finley, him getting pounded like he did while at LSU against us last year. It was not pretty.

• Like 1

For the purpose of your question, Loof, I don't think we see TJ outside of the need for some 60+ yard hail mary attempt. Otherwise, TJ's playing time will depend entirely upon Bo's performance, IMO. 

• Like 3

I think we see TJ. He has a different skill set than Bo, and I think the Coaches will have a pre set drive to insert him with his package and see if it has success (relative to how Bo's package is going). Obviously, that changes if we are moving the ball well/scoring with the gameplan with Bo. 

I personally think we need TJ to win this game. The key to beating this type of defense is to be able to challenge it at all levels, including down field passing. 

• Like 2

I don't think we will see him because we are about to go all in on Bo's legs IMO. Getting him outside the pocket where he can make plays is probably our best bet given our offensive line woes.

TJ would be a sitting duck against what we are about to face. 

• Like 2

If TJ were a big threat at the goal line where he could use size to push through then maybe. Not even acknowledging the LSU game I don’t think he’s “better” than Bo overall. 

34 minutes ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

I really dont know if we see him or not.  I do know that pass he threw to Shenker when he was in the game was a beauty, with a ton of zip and hit him perfectly in stride.  We got tacked with a 15 yard penalty on it, then the drive stalled.

Listening to a podcast, and I did not notice this during the game and may have missed it, but after his series was TJ sitting on the bench with a towel over his head?  Compared to Bo being visible on the sideline cheering him on?

IIRC, what I saw was: yes, he had a towel over his head and didn't necessarily look thrilled but it wasn't in the head hung completely hidden by thy towel kind of way that the media has loved to focus on regarding Cam in the NFL. Looked to me the same way my kids drape a cold wet towel over there head on the sidelines when they're hot. I didn't take much from it. So what if he wasn't thrilled; good as far as I'm concerned! Stay hungry!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I don't think we will see him because we are about to go all in on Bo's legs IMO. Getting him outside the pocket where he can make plays is probably our best bet given our offensive line woes.

I agree about us probably wanting to move the pocket, but Bo is going to have to stand in there and take some hits Saturday. We'll need his legs, but he will have to show a lot of restraint against Georgia's front seven, and rely upon his eyes and quick decision making. Playing hero ball against Georgia isn't a strategy.

Field position is going to be enormously important, and we can't afford to take sacks eight yards behind the LOS because Bo wants to make the big play. There will be times when taking a sack for a short loss is the prudent play. 

There is a lot riding on our defense and special teams, especially first half defense. We aren't going to be able to win this game from behind. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

TJ's playing time will depend entirely upon Bo's performance, IMO. 

Pretty much this. 

Bo turned a corner in Death Valley Saturday night, he needs to stay on that trajectory and keep getting better.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

is it not possible they have improved tj as well? these guys have scored more on defense than they have allowed against their defense so i am not certain if any QB on any team is not a sitting duck against those guys.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Pretty much this. 

Bo turned a corner in Death Valley Saturday night, he needs to stay on that trajectory and keep getting better.  

i am sure bo wants it as bad as anyone and i would be surprised if he does not have a better game than other qb's have against them but if we do not have a ground game i think we are toast.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

The key to beating this type of defense is to be able to challenge it at all levels, including down field passing. 

Yup. I dunno, maybe Bo can do that Saturday. I hope he can. But we know TJ puts a hell of a lot more velocity on a ball and we have some speed guys that can go get it. But then again, what are we telegraphing by putting him in there, and does it open up any other opportunities?  

22 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Getting him outside the pocket where he can make plays is probably our best bet given our offensive line woes.

There is that.

25 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I don't know that I entirely agree with this. Finley isn't as mobile as Bo but I also feel that he's shown he's pretty difficult to tackle. Who was that huge QB for Kansas State back in the Ron Prince days? We were all over that dude all night but he just stood tall in the pocket and kept throwing darts. Like, I literally have this image of him standing there with perfect mechanics on display while two Auburn players are draped around his ankles. Anyway, Finley reminds me a little of that. Whereas Bo is avoiding contact, Finley is just persevering through it. 

Don't get me wrong, I stand by the OP- Bo is the guy and gives us more. But I think maybe Finley has his own tools for mitigating a pass rush. Just a matter of whether or not it's enough to justify putting him in the game once you factor in overall command of the offense, accuracy, is he sharp on his handoffs, all of it. 

It'll be fun to watch this without any real pressure to win. I know the players are excited. 

• Like 2

ya know since we have that big ol jumbo screen lets show some pups in heat to see if it serves as a distraction. lol

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

is it not possible they have improved tj as well? these guys have scored more on defense than they have allowed against their defense so i am not certain if any QB on any team is not a sitting duck against those guys.

Agreed, and neither QB has the luxury of sitting in the pocket like a statue vs that defense.  Bo/TJ have to show mobility in the pocket and we know Bo has a willingness to scoot out and make plays like he did vs LSU.  I can't see a weakness in uga's defense and Muschamp will scheme and stunt us to death, so our oline better be ready.  UGA/Muschamp loves to move around pre-snap on defense to cause false starts, they are the best at this.  Our line can't bite and allow them to affect the snap count/cadence or penalties will pile up and drive will stall. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Any QB play from within the pocket against Georgia is going to require quick decision making, and very, very accurate throws. I don't have a ton of confidence in either Nix's or Finley's ability to do that consistently. 

At least with Nix, Bobo should have some more freedom to call plays that move the pocket and help take some heat off of our offensive line. 

Finley might be the more effective player in the pocket, but I'm not sure that's where we want to live and die against Georgia. 

But, what do I know? I'm as curious as anyone to see what Bobo's plan will be. 

• Like 4

Yes, I believe with the weaknesses we have on OL and the Dawgs D, Nix may struggle at times and we can't let the Dawgs run out to a 3 TD lead forcing Harsin to pull the rip cord.  Now whether it becomes a 2 QB day will depend on how TJ fairs.

56 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Did you actually read my post?  I clearly stated I did not see it during the coverage of the game, and was curious if anyone else did?  Not trying to dig up dirt on the kid, just simply asking a question.

Also, make sure you go clown on everyone who has ever mentioned anything about Bo from the previous game and how he interacted on the sidelines, and feel free report back elsewhere.

• Like 2

Don't think tj gets to play enough to show what he can do. I feel he needs to get a rhythm like most QB's and he hasn't and he won't get an opportunity to. That's the thing about QB there's only one.

I feel like he has more potential because he has a better arm, and I think it's very clear he has all the intangibles and the respect of everyone

• Like 4