Do we see Finley this Saturday? Offer your thoughts

McLoofus

1 hour ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

I really dont know if we see him or not.  I do know that pass he threw to Shenker when he was in the game was a beauty, with a ton of zip and hit him perfectly in stride.  We got tacked with a 15 yard penalty on it, then the drive stalled.

Listening to a podcast, and I did not notice this during the game and may have missed it, but after his series was TJ sitting on the bench with a towel over his head?  Compared to Bo being visible on the sideline cheering him on?

I don’t remember them showing TJ at all.

I think it comes down to their legs. Neither have proven they can throw for over a 60% completion rate and Nix has a higher completion % compared to Finley last season. The biggest difference I see is Nix can avoid the rush long enough to throw it away. Avoiding a 10 yard loss could be huge in this game. 

I'd love to see Finley in on 3rd and 1 and let them think sneak as he tosses to Shivers coming in motion for a 55 yd TD though. 

To answer the question, no. Bo takes all snaps. 

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Don't think tj gets to play enough to show what he can do. I feel he needs to get a rhythm like most QB's and he hasn't and he won't get an opportunity to. That's the thing about QB there's only one.

I feel like he has more potential because he has a better arm, and I think it's very clear he has all the intangibles and the respect of everyone

I'm afraid that Auburn wasn't the best situation for TJ to come into. 

18 minutes ago, keesler said:

Agreed, and neither QB has the luxury of sitting in the pocket like a statue vs that defense.  Bo/TJ have to show mobility in the pocket and we know Bo has a willingness to scoot out and make plays like he did vs LSU.  I can't see a weakness in uga's defense and Muschamp will scheme and stunt us to death, so our oline better be ready.  UGA/Muschamp loves to move around pre-snap on defense to cause false starts, they are the best at this.  Our line can't bite and allow them to affect the snap count/cadence or penalties will pile up and drive will stall. 

Don’t believe Muschamp ( either of them) are calling defensive plays. Just analyst.

17 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Don't think tj gets to play enough to show what he can do. I feel he needs to get a rhythm like most QB's and he hasn't and he won't get an opportunity to. That's the thing about QB there's only one.

I feel like he has more potential because he has a better arm, and I think it's very clear he has all the intangibles and the respect of everyone

Yeah obv need more reps with the 1s but his time will come 

I would not be surprised if we see Finley in the 3rd series again.  I wonder if Troxell doesn’t kill the momentum on his lone drive how things would have panned out.  LSU did not game plan for Bo’s scrambling.  There is no way in hell that UGA repeats that mistake.   

I think we also need to be in 12 or 13 personnel for either quarterback to have any success early.   Bo made some nice completions and handled the situation very well, but the one thing that he seems to really be struggling with is the ability to throw a guy open which often results in big plays.   Finley seems to be able to execute that part of the game better.   

I think we really have to go with the hot hand in this game if one shows signs.   We might honestly need both to win the game to keep their defense thinking a bit and hopefully slowing them down.   We need a helluva game plan to compete in this game.

• Like 3

See, I have always been a proponent of giving a guy a rest and an opportunity to collect himself on the sideline. I love a pre-scripted series for the backup, especially when your starter can be a rollercoaster. I liked how Bo started the game against LSU, but I also think that third series was important for him.

As for TJ, I don't think he adds much at this point. He was downright jittery in the pocket against LSU. He felt pressure that wasn't there. I cannot imagine what he would be like if the pressure really was there (as it will be this weekend). I think playing TJ a lot would be asking for the 2020 Auburn/LSU game with him in an Auburn jersey this time. But giving him a series? I'm for that, and I won't be surprised if Harsin/Bobo have that in the plans.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I liked how Bo started the game against LSU, but I also think that third series was important for him.

I felt like he was a different QB after the Finley series. I honestly thought it was a merit-based benching. 

5 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

He was downright jittery in the pocket against LSU. He felt pressure that wasn't there.

Agreed, but he was also much more resilient to pressure than Bo the week prior IMO.

I could imagine that he was overcaffeinated against his former team Saturday night. Might not have had anything to do with it, though.

8 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

But giving him a series? I'm for that, and I won't be surprised if Harsin/Bobo have that in the plans.

Despite my prior comments on the first part of your post and even though I credited Harsin for his man management against LSU, I hadn't really considered doing it again in this game for the same reason as opposed to a "Finley gives us this other dimension" perspective. LSU crowd noise vs uga pass rush... potentially the same effect. I like it. 

Personally, I do not unless Bo is not playing well.

Switching QB’s can be a momentum killer and we can’t afford that in this game.  I don’t think putting TJ in against LSU helped anything.  Some may say that motivated Bo to play like he did, but I honestly think he got his motivation from the Georgia State game.

Guest MustardSeed

Unfortunately for TJ his skill set isn’t so different from Bo that changing qbs serves much of a purpose. 
I am good with it when you have a pocket passer and you situationally sub in a running qb to challenge the d in a different way. 
While TJ has a good arm, he hasn’t proven in any game setting that he is reliable on the deep balls and certainly wouldnt be considered more mobile than Bo.  The only thing he may provide over Bo is a slightly better deep ball but again, it hasn’t been near good enough for GA to back up and open run lanes when he comes in. 
Therefore I see no reason to situationally sub him in unless it’s just to see who’s playing better, which in a game this big may never happen. 

45 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So are you implying the coach's should let him play more in order to fairly compete for the job?  

As has been said, we're going to have to take the top off them a few times if we want any chance. Can't hero ball and nickel and dime a UGA defense like you can LSU. It's Bo's job, so he will be the one who has to finally hit some deep shots. I won't be opposed to utilizing Finley in that way if need be. O-line wasn't that bad vs LSU. Will Friend seems to be doing a better job than some on here think. There was a pocket for the most part against LSU, but UGA is a different beast. We'll need to get creative while also hitting deep shots

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JKClark said:

So are you implying the coach's should let him play more in order to fairly compete for the job?  

I don't think he is. I think that's what he meant by "There's only one QB". It's not that the coaches won't give him the reps, it's that they just aren't there. He's said many times that he's behind Bo. 

Do you think we see Finley at all Saturday?

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Bo was cheering him on because he knew the dude was only getting one series before Bo went back in.

I don’t think this is a fair statement about Bo. He’s a team player and I think he’d cheer for TJ no matter the situation.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Personally, I do not unless Bo is not playing well.

Switching QB’s can be a momentum killer and we can’t afford that in this game.  I don’t think putting TJ in against LSU helped anything.  Some may say that motivated Bo to play like he did, but I honestly think he got his motivation from the Georgia State game.

I agree about his motivation. The only positive I can see a starter getting in this situation is simply a deep breath. In a big game everyone is hyped and the chance to slow it down for a series and see the big picture may be a help in some situations.  

6 minutes ago, toddc said:

I don’t think this is a fair statement about Bo. He’s a team player and I think he’d cheer for TJ no matter the situation.

I was only contradicting the nascent narrative that "TJ didn't cheer for Bo but Bo cheered for TJ". I was just pointing out that it's not an apples to apples comparison. I can see how it read otherwise, though. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I'm pretty sure they showed him once on the sideline after he when out. He was standing watching the game like everyone else. Of course it was a glimpse, so you couldn't draw much from it one way or another. 

1 hour ago, RHN1975 said:

I think it comes down to their legs. Neither have proven they can throw for over a 60% completion rate and Nix has a higher completion % compared to Finley last season. The biggest difference I see is Nix can avoid the rush long enough to throw it away. Avoiding a 10 yard loss could be huge in this game. 

I'd love to see Finley in on 3rd and 1 and let them think sneak as he tosses to Shivers coming in motion for a 55 yd TD though. 

If it comes down to their legs we lose badly. For us to compete, we have to push it down field to keep them honest. The success of our running game, short and intermediate passing, depends on at least having a bit of success down the field. If we let them man up with one safety high and they commit the other in the box, we (anyone) will get embarrassed. 

57 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I would not be surprised if we see Finley in the 3rd series again.  I wonder if Troxell doesn’t kill the momentum on his lone drive how things would have panned out.  LSU did not game plan for Bo’s scrambling.  There is no way in hell that UGA repeats that mistake.   

I think we also need to be in 12 or 13 personnel for either quarterback to have any success early.   Bo made some nice completions and handled the situation very well, but the one thing that he seems to really be struggling with is the ability to throw a guy open which often results in big plays.   Finley seems to be able to execute that part of the game better.   

I think we really have to go with the hot hand in this game if one shows signs.   We might honestly need both to win the game to keep their defense thinking a bit and hopefully slowing them down.   We need a helluva game plan to compete in this game.

I thought Finely did well on his drive. Seems very composed. His shovel pass should have been a completion but the TE got lost and ran himself out of bounds. On the ensuing 4th down, the ball across the middle to Shivers would have been a tough catch, but it was catchable and would have gone for a first down. Finely to me is a Big Ben style qb. His size strength and mobility allow him to move and complete balls others just wouldn't have a chance to. I think Bo is a hell of a competitor, and I liked seeing more designed runs for him vs LSU. He is going to have to find a down field passing game if this team is going to exceed expectations. Which personally is why I think you run TJ out there if Bo isn't clicking down field, to see if he can show a spark and exceed expectations. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I remember seeing him on the sideline but I only noticed him standing and looking on at the game. I wasn't looking for anything specifically though. I'm sure he was disappointed to not be out there but I'm sure he was happy for Bo and the win. 

51 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't think he is. I think that's what he meant by "There's only one QB". It's not that the coaches won't give him the reps, it's that they just aren't there. He's said many times that he's behind Bo. 

Do you think we see Finley at all Saturday?

I do...unless Bo comes out guns a blazing.  I think we'll see something similar to the LSU game where Finley gets a series, and we go from there based on how the game is going. 

Edited by JKClark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

If it comes down to their legs we lose badly. For us to compete, we have to push it down field to keep them honest. The success of our running game, short and intermediate passing, depends on at least having a bit of success down the field. If we let them man up with one safety high and they commit the other in the box, we (anyone) will get embarrassed. 

You are correct. I didn't mean allowing him to run it. I meant using their legs to survive the rush.

The reality is we will probably see TJ for most of the second half. With that defense and our OL, we will probably see Bo carried off about the beginning of the 3rd quarter. I sure hope not, but I am not encouraged. Its hard for a QB to play a full game in Bodini mode like he did against LSU.  

• Haha 1