Do we see Finley this Saturday? Offer your thoughts

McLoofus

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

I was hesitant to post this....But **** it. But I don't think the offense is focused around Bo's scrambling at all. I think they are just now starting to implement things. And I'm not throwing shots but I think as usual many are taking the good game and exponentially making it more than what it is.

We were high like this at the start, we played a decent team and some weaknesses were seen and we followed that with a poor performance. We now had a good game and I'm reading people feel like we have stability in areas we really don't. 

You don't game plan a scramble but you certainly game plan against it, LSU didn't. They said as much. Uga absolutely has now.

Also what we can't really call is the improvement the QB's will have on a weekly basis. We can just hope for the best. Lastly I think Tj has shown that he isn't a statue but some keep saying that. And also just like Bo improved with the coaching staff I don't think I've seen a single person apply that to TJ. He could be improving as well.

One QB has to play. Just because the other isn't playing doesn't mean the other sucks, or isn't capable. They have different strengths and different weaknesses. 

some want him to be successful more than their own children, look at the threads created after the game....lol.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Didn't Harsin say they were working on a package for Finley around the end of 2-a-days? 

With TJ's skill set,  we likely have a completely different style of plays that can be plugged in once he gets it going.  I suspect we will see him for more than one series whether we are wining or losing.   At least,  this is what I am hoping. 

random example.  It's a big difference in styles you can attempt between the skilsets of Nix with Hunter, Tank or Shivers (speed) and the skill sets of TJ with Sean Jackson  (size) in the backfield.

I don't know. I feel like Harsin may have had an interview that I haven't seen yet, judging from reading a few threads. If we can get it clicking I don't care if we don't substitute or if we have to bring Finley in every time we want to pass down field. Let's just find something that works. 

And yes I agree about the packages, I think it's more to do with down field stuff. I feel like with Bo you have a guy who can scramble more and with Tj he unlocks areas of the field that Bo couldn't. I can say without a doubt from a corners perspective you will play the game entirely different when there's a QB that can attack all areas of a field. That's not made up. That's 100% fact

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

some want him to be successful more than their own children, look at the threads created after the game....lol.

And that's fine but I don't know how you go from that to with the other guy.....I can't explain it and it is unpopular but I don't believe in him. Literally the day he wins the game. That's wild to me. On the other side it's he didn't say Bo's play was the best play in 25 years, he just said it was an awesome play.....it's a shame how people hate Bo!

Sooner or later it's like come on, are you pulling for the team or not?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

To that I agree 😊. I just think it’s important to get TJ some playing time against good teams. You never know when any player might go down so it’s important especially in this league to have a back up ready to play and at a high level. And as I said before it’s a good move that is rarely used to allow your QB to watch a series from the side line and see the plays from a different angle . He might actually see something that will help him next time out . Plus momentarily it takes the pressure off him. One of Bo’s biggest faults is too often he tries to do it all by his self. While that’s commendable it’s also not wise. Your a whole lot better using everyone instead of doing it by yourself. 🤔

It’s not like TJ’s a freshman. He’s had starting experience playing against good teams. Maybe not with us but he’s got the experience.

We shouldn’t throw TJ out there just to do it. But if Bo is struggling then I understand 

As heroic as Bo's performance was the other night, and as grateful as I am, that's not the way Harsin and Bobo want to run an offense. First, it's probably not suitable against top defenses. Further, they like pocket passers who stretch the ball down field 

They tried to make Bo play like that the first few games. However, they finally gave that up and adapted to his strengths. As we rebuild those units, I would imagine we see more traditional offense, except at a higher level with a pocket passer like TJ or Geriner, an o-line that can give time, and receivers that can get open. That being said, we are going to have to take the top off them at some point this weekend. Thats the next step in Bo's growth imo. Can he start hitting some deep balls against a top defense. If he can, we may have a shot to keep it close. 

12 hours ago, AUinfusion said:

You have examples of this, or is that just “what he could be”? TJ did a LOT better against GA St, but prior to that my memory of him was he just stood in the pocket and either got the pass off ahead of the rush or got sacked. One of my specific concerns about him was that he seemed to have very little awareness of the rush. That’s coming from memory, not film study, but my memory was that he has a great arm, sometimes failed to see the coverage, and almost never saw the rush.

Nope, no examples. Just a general feel from memory. 

What some might see as being unaware of the rush, I see  as focus downfield.  TJ with better pass blocking - and good receiver play - would be deadly IMO.

Having said that, I like the idea of a mobile QB as long as we are scheming for it

It's obvious Bo is great at scrambling - making something out of a play that has broken down - but that's not scheming nor is it a formula for success.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, Sizzle said:

It’s not like TJ’s a freshman. He’s had starting experience playing against good teams. Maybe not with us but he’s got the experience.

We shouldn’t throw TJ out there just to do it. But if Bo is struggling then I understand 

No may be struggling with exhaustion from having to run from sideline to sideline on just about every passing down.

2 hours ago, milehighfan said:

No may be struggling with exhaustion from having to run from sideline to sideline on just about every passing down.

Sometimes the OL gives him time and that’s just Bo just running out just to do it. On his TD throw it’s not like he ran around because of the pressure.

On 10/6/2021 at 3:54 PM, Randman5000 said:

Go Five wide run go routes and then hit the running back down low or a QB run with TJ on a series. I hope there are enough looks to keep Georgia guessing  or spending time preparing for, just like the onside that didn't work. 

I just hope that we go with the fairly high percentage pass plays of 4 or 5 yards continually to try and augment the running game. We definitely helped the O-Line last week with quick short passes and designed rollouts to try and keep the Defense off Bo. I am hoping that Bobo has given up the wasteful premise of throwing up a 50/50 shot every other series and going 3 and out. It takes first downs to move down the field consistently. 

I think we will just for the fact TJ can make the deep pass. Sorry, but we won't be living off Bo scrambling like last week and we will have to proof we can pass downfield. With that being said, Bo will get most of the snaps.

I am flummoxed by the whole quarterback thing. What I think it boils down to in my mind is that we want a QB that is the best of Bo and the best of TJ. Unfortunately, technology won't allow us to merge them into that complete package we all want. I am also of the strong mindset that a team -- in order to gel and perform at peak efficiency, must have a consistent hand on the tiller. A quarterback tandem has worked in the past when the two complement each other's strengths and weaknesses, giving the defense an unknown dimension to deal with on each down, i.e. wildcat type situations. Right now whoever walks to the line of scrimmage or under center as it were, presents the defense with fewer options to worry about... except for Bo, whose style of play is anything but predictable because of his propensity for improvisation, if not productive at times. That makes for a lot of antacid intake in the fan base, but I can't help but think some defensive coordinators are popping a few trying to figure out how to defend some things Bo showed vs. LSU. The Reece Davis Tiltawhirl metaphor rings true here. It is going to be a long season of uncertainty and perhaps situational quarterback play is the answer, albeit far from desirable. It is always best to have a clear path for leadership on the field. I am willing to back the player that is backed by the coaches and -- perhaps more importantly, his teammates. The latter cannot be discounted. Who do the players (on both sides) want as their field general? I don't think Bo is going to settle down into a consistent pro-type quarterback. Ever. And I don't think TJ brings that element of improvisation that can create fourth down magic, which is not to say fourth down efficiency. Headed to Amazon for bulk Rolaids.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JTFazz said:

What I think it boils down to in my mind is that we want a QB that is the best of Bo and the best of TJ.

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, DAG said:

I think we will just for the fact TJ can make the deep pass. Sorry, but we won't be living off Bo scrambling like last week and we will have to proof we can pass downfield. With that being said, Bo will get most of the snaps.

I think you are probably correct. Course I wanted TJ to start last week bc I thought Bo was done. Obviously that wasn’t correct.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Course I wanted TJ to start last week bc I thought Bo was done. Obviously that wasn’t correct.

Same. And when Finley did come in, I thought it might be permanent. 

Most delicious crow ever. 

15 hours ago, DAG said:

I've been busy this week, but tbqh Bo vs LSU was essentially the same Bo we've always had and it just actually worked for the 1st time.  Maybe it keeps working, idk

I don't think he really attempted to throw it down field vs LSU, did he?  The throw to Fromm was the longest attempt probably?

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I've been busy this week, but tbqh Bo vs LSU was essentially the same Bo we've always had and it just actually worked for the 1st time.  Maybe it keeps working, idk

I don't think he really attempted to throw it down field vs LSU, did he?  The throw to Fromm was the longest attempt probably?

I highly doubt that running around will work against UGA. I would be extremely surprised if that is the case.

• Like 1