SEC Pods and Semifinal Play-In

RunInRed

I am told this model is being considered once we move to 16 teams.  Thoughts? (Obviously, below is illustrative) …

412F769A-9A1A-426E-A6C2-3B00B99A9523.jpeg

It would be after the last game of the season over Thanksgiving weekend.  So you could spread games Thursday Friday and Saturday.  TV ratings would be huge which would mean mega money.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Feels like the East and West division concept is going to have to go by the wayside to accommodate 16 teams one way or the other.  The commissioner has basically said that in interviews.  He’s said we’ve got to get teams on campuses more than once a decade.   Which means pods.  In four years you’d have placed every team (not in your pod) home and away once.  

Again, think of the money.  With 14 teams playing 8 conference games that’s 56 games a year.   With 16 teams playing 10 games a year that’s 80 games.  That’s a 42% increase in inventory.  

• Like 6

I hope the "Alliance" pouts and quits scheduling SEC teams and we get the 10 conference games. The more the better. Also, hopefully the TV partners will demand that there be some top match-ups EVERY week for them to broadcast. There are too many Saturdays now when the whole conference is playing scrubs. I like the Pod idea much more than the horrible scheduling now being used.

I like some of it. This is basically what we've been supporting in here for quite some time, 3+6. But this seeding business isn't  necessary so why make it complicated. The division (pod) champ should be the team within the division with the best 9 game conference record. Those 4 division champs then meet in the 2 semifinal championship games. 

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I like it. This is basically what we've been supporting in here for quite some time, 3+6. I don't get why seeding is even necessary. The division (pod) champ should be the team within the division with the best 9 game conference record. Those 4 division champs then meet in the 2 semifinal championship games. 

Got to keep some rivals.  I don't see them going into a pod system where we don't play BAMA and UGA and Bama won't give up Tenn either.

• Like 2

Creative and interesting dynamic added to the pods system we have discussed.  So when would the Bama game be scheduled? 1st of year or the 9th scheduled game or obviously somewhere in between?

I like the seeding structure to determine final game.  It took a minute for me to realize what was going on, but I get it now. 

Edited by AUBwins

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

He’s said we’ve got to get teams on campuses more than once a decade.   Which means pods

No it doesn't. You can accomplish the same thing without pods or divisions as has been said on this and every other SEC board countless times since Texas & OU were coming over. No divisions or pods. Everybody plays 3 permanents every year & rotate the other 12 6 at a time every year. The 2 best records play in the SECCG. Now if we do go to pods then I'm cool with semifinals. Although I don't understand the model in the OP. It looks like the seeding description is backwards as you would have the 4 1 seeds play each other in the semis. It wouldn't make sense for a 1 seed Bama to play a 4 seed Arky in the Semis.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

Got to keep some rivals.  I don't see them going into a pod system where we don't play BAMA and UGA and Bama won't give up Tenn either.

You're still playing that second rival every other year. It's not giving them up. I can definitely see pods happening.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I like the seeding structure to determine final game.  It took a minute for me to realize what was going on, but I get it now. 

Can you explain it to me then because the way seeding is described looks backwards to me.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Can you explain it to me then because the way seeding is described looks backwards to me.

I'll try my best lol. 

The primary goal is to win your pod, and the up and down seeding within each pod is purely based on head to head within the pod. Subsequently, each row left to right is seeded based off CFP rankings.

Then for the 10th game, the matchups are based on the seedings from the CFP. All of the 1 seeds from each Pod play each other, the 2 seeds etc. Your seeding from the CFP decides the matchup 1vs4 and 2vs3. 

The 1 seeds are playing for the SEC championship in a 4 team tourney. The others are just playing a single game.  Brilliant actually, because it rewards the results of the division first, then gives credence to the CFP rankings nationally.  Complex, yet simple and completely unbiased. 

Summation, get the order up and down first, then left to right. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I'll try my best lol. 

The primary goal is to win your pod, and the up and down seeding within each pod is purely based on head to head within the pod. Subsequently, each row left to right is seeded based off CFP rankings.

Then for the 10th game, the matchups are based on the seedings from the CFP. All of the 1 seeds from each Pod play each other, the 2 seeds etc. Your seeding from the CFP decides the matchup 1vs4 and 2vs3. 

The 1 seeds are playing for the SEC championship in a 4 team tourney. The others are just playing a single game.  Brilliant actually, because it rewards the results of the division first, then gives credence to the CFP rankings nationally.  Complex, yet simple and completely unbiased. 

Thanks! Your explanation matches how I think things should be. The graphic just doesn't seem to match to me. Like for example, why does AU have a 1 seed by there name at all? lol

42 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I'll try my best lol. 

It only works though if winning your pod means having the best overall SEC record within the pod.  If its just what you do vs the 3 other teams, then 6 of the 9 SEC games become pointless.

Has to be like the NFL.  All games count, but tie breaks to to head-to-head, then record within your division/pod.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Thanks! Your explanation matches how I think things should be. The graphic just doesn't seem to match to me. Like for example, why does AU have a 1 seed by there name at all? lol

The 1 is because, in the example, Auburn is the best 2 seed. You may have already figured this out, but just in case 😉 

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It only works though if winning your pod means having the best overall SEC record within the pod.  If its just what you do vs the 3 other teams, then 6 of the 9 SEC games become pointless.

Has to be like the NFL.  All games count, but tie breaks to to head-to-head, then record within your division/pod.

That would make sense. 

3 hours ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

That has to happen to make it work. You match up 1 rivalry in each pod. You can't schedule a 2nd rival outside the pod every year and still make the 2 year rotation work. So if you have a 2nd rival now, you will play them every 2 years instead of every year. That's a fair exchange to be able to play all SEC teams every 2 years. AU vs UGa every other year, bama vs Tennessee every other year.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

You're still playing that second rival every other year. It's not giving them up. I can definitely see pods happening.

I like the one SECN put out way better. You really think UAT would allow not playing Vols and Corndogs every year?

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Just illustrative 

Guest MustardSeed
2 hours ago, AUwent said:

I like the one SECN put out way better. You really think UAT would allow not playing Vols and Corndogs every year?

I know if hapless TN was our guaranteed game every year I’d fight tooth and nail to keep it…AU and Ga may feel a little different

Edited by MustardSeed

I don’t want to lose rivalries. Can’t imagine The Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry not being an annual contest. 

The suits could care less about tradition or the fans so they’ll probably send most of these rivalries to slaughter. 

• Like 2

Guest MustardSeed
12 minutes ago, woodford said:

I don’t want to lose rivalries. Can’t imagine The Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry not being an annual contest. 

The suits could care less about tradition or the fans so they’ll probably send most of these rivalries to slaughter. 

I don’t know. Absence make the heart grow fonder right?  Every other year would potentially make the games even bigger and more enjoyable 

I fail to see the incentive of the Thanksgiving day games below the 2 #1 seed matchup semi-final for SEC crown. These would seemingly fall into meaningless "bowl game" context where some athletes may opt to sit out since there is nothing to gain. Am I missing something?

Edited by madkat7

Pod C is SAWFT.  Pod D is a beast.  I’m not crazy about the pods.  I like the 3 permanent with the rotating 6.  Id be happy with getting rid of all pods or divisions and just have it the two best teams.  How many times has there been a team finish 2nd in the west that would beat the #1 in the East?  In this example the #3 in Pod D would be #1 in C.  

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Pod C is SAWFT.  Pod D is a beast.  I’m not crazy about the pods.  I like the 3 permanent with the rotating 6.  Id be happy with getting rid of all pods or divisions and just have it the two best teams.  How many times has there been a team finish 2nd in the west that would beat the #1 in the East?  In this example the #3 in Pod D would be #1 in C.  

I’m with you. Pods could be become lopsided. Auburn should play Alabama, Georgia, and maybe UT or MSU every year and then rotate the other 6. 

• Facepalm 1

I know this is just an example, but for geography’s sake, could you swap Tennessee and Ole Miss? Bammer doesn’t lose their annual game with UT, and we regain what used to be a great traditional rivalry to start the SEC season.  Also, would their be a group of 5 or an ACC team on the schedule if the Alliance doesn’t want to schedule us? If not and you don’t make an SEC semifinal game, that’s only 9 games you play before a playoff or bowl game. Would the revenue generated from an extra conference game make up the difference lost from not playing a 12 game schedule?