SEC Pods and Semifinal Play-In

RunInRed

IMO, Auburn has always gotten the short end of the stick with SEC scheduling. If the new way is more equitable, even if means not playing thuga, or whoever, every year, I am ALL for it. 100%. I am not stuck on having to play certain teams every single year. Not anymore. An easier path to the SEC Championship game is ALL THAT MATTERS.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Whether we traditionalists like it or not college football has become all about the playoff.  So forget about the rivalries.  All conferences play a 10 game all conference schedule with everybody rotating against everybody else.  Then seed all the best teams in the country in a 32 team playoff.  Highest seeded team the first two rounds get the home field.  Finish the Elite 8 with bowl games at neutral sites.  That allows for 7 major bowl games so do away with crap like the Weedwacker Bowl, Mayonnaise Bowl, Oil Change Bowl, Tater Bowl, Cheese Puff Bowl and all the other ridiculous crap the has sprung up over the years that nobody cares about and nobody watches.  

• Haha 1

I admire the creative thinking but I don't think you can get the fans to go along with games that have been played yearly for more than a century moving to every other year at least. Georgia has eaten our lunch for the last 15 years but I still want to play them every year. There's going to be a fan revolt if these administrators think we can play the DSOR, Third Saturday in October, or the Egg Bowl every other year. People just aren't going to go for that.

Nine conference games seems inevitable with expansion. If we do pods, which I like, I would rather play three games in your pod, one protected game in every other pod, and then rotate a game in every other pod. You would see everyone every three years and visit every stadium every six years which is still better than what we have now. I'd rather take the teams with the two best records because I don't like the idea of adding even more games.

2 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

If we do pods, which I like, I would rather play three games in your pod, one protected game in every other pod, and then rotate a game in every other pod. You would see everyone every three years and visit every stadium every six years which is still better than what we have now.

I'd be down with this if our list of six included bama, LSU, UF and UT. The other two don't really matter to me, but I'd probably want them to be historically weaker teams. Maybe not Vandy soft, but Kentucky or Moo U level? 

I agree that people will get upset if we don't play uga every year but I'm not one of those people. And it's not because they currently own us. In fact, it would be a shame if we went every-other-year and it took us forever to restore some balance to the rivalry. But I don't think the current format is healthy for our program overall and if I have to choose between dropping bama or uga, I'm dropping uga. 

As for home vs away, I agree with you that seeing teams outside the permanent six every three years is better than what we have, whether we play them at their house or ours. If we don't get TAMU at home, we'll get Missouri at home, or whatever. (Speaking of Missouri, they are still the program that I just can't make myself fully accept as an SEC member institution. Like, if you catch me at a really random time and ask me to list all the SEC schools, I might forget that they're one of them.) 

These are the pods I've seen rumored:

A - UK, SC, UGA, UF

B - AU, UA, Vandy, UT

C - LSU, OM, A&M, MSU

D - Texas, Mizzou, OU, Ark

Also saw the idea of these pods with one static rival from the other 3 pods + 3 rotational games.

Allows the league to keep in tact the DSOR, Aggie/UT, UA/LSU, UF/LSU, UT/UF, etc

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 3

Great. Wish this was started tomorrow. I am all for a 10 game conference schedule, if the others don't want to play us. I doubt that will happen because they know where the most entertaining conference comes from.

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

The 1 is because, in the example, Auburn is the best 2 seed. You may have already figured this out, but just in case 😉 

Thank you. No I didn't. That part wasn't explained well in the OP.

4 hours ago, AUwent said:

I like the one SECN put out way better. You really think UAT would allow not playing Vols and Corndogs every year?

@AUwent Everyone including the Almighty Bama will have to compromise some. Yes they would want to keep the Vols as much as possible. As for LSU game the only reason that game is a rivalry is because Saban coached at both schools. I think to Bama fans, LSU is a very distant 3rd to AU & the Vols on the important game meter.

2 hours ago, woodford said:

I don’t want to lose rivalries. Can’t imagine The Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry not being an annual contest. 

Again. playing the game every other year is not even remotely close to losing a rivalry. This view on things is over dramatic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madkat7 said:

I fail to see the incentive of the Thanksgiving day games below the 2 #1 seed matchup semi-final for SEC crown. These would seemingly fall into meaningless "bowl game" context where some athletes may opt to sit out since there is nothing to gain. Am I missing something?

@madkat7 Yes at least for the 2 seed games. Remember the playoffs are expected to go to 12 eventually with the SEC sometimes getting 5 to 6 teams in. That makes the 2 seed games a defacto playoff game in some years.

1 hour ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I admire the creative thinking but I don't think you can get the fans to go along with games that have been played yearly for more than a century moving to every other year at least

I can. We as a society love our football.

There's going to be a fan revolt if these administrators think we can play the DSOR, Third Saturday in October, or the Egg Bowl every other year.

Some won't be crazy about it but their would not be a fan revolt. We love the sport too much as said above.

People just aren't going to go for that.

They'll have to if they want to stay tuned to the sport they love.

• Like 1

I like playing our rivals as much as anyone, but I also miss playing some other rivals.  This will give us renewed rivals in Florida and Tennessee as often as Georgia.  I think keeping your best rival yearly and alternating multiple rivals is better than losing some to 9 year cycles. JMO. It will take us longer to regain the lead in the GA series but I think it will make all healthier rivals instead. 

• Like 4

People just aren't going to go for that.

People aren't going to do a single thing except complain and still tune in 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I can. We as a society love our football.

Some won't be crazy about it but their would not be a fan revolt. We love the sport too much as said above.

They'll have to if they want to stay tuned to the sport they love.

In other words, you pesky old fans just get on board, sthu about your "rivalries" because the SEC and ESPN don't care.  They're getting rich doing it and that means it's happening regardless of how you feel.  

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

These are the pods I've seen rumored:

A - UK, SC, UGA, UF

B - AU, UA, Vandy, UT

C - LSU, OM, A&M, MSU

D - Texas, Mizzou, OU, Ark

Also saw the idea of these pods with one static rival from the other 3 pods + 3 rotational games.

Allows the league to keep in tact the DSOR, Aggie/UT, UA/LSU, UF/LSU, UT/UF, etc

I like that idea the best so far, each pod is pretty balance with two stronger teams and two "weaker" teams.  Plus if that meant that Auburn could keep UGA, LSU, and maybe ARk wile adding UT that would be pretty cool.  

Remember the playoffs are expected to go to 12 eventually with the SEC sometimes getting 5 to 6 teams in. That makes the 2 seed games a defacto playoff game in some years.

I thought the "ALLIANCE" was supposed to be against playoff expansion.  Did they change their minds?

Edited by AubieinNC2009
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, DAG said:

I got a feeling they'll tune in even closer than before seeing how there won't be any GSU, Akron and ASU's on the schedule anymore.  I would definitely buy tickets and travel for a conference game. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Again. playing the game every other year is not even remotely close to losing a rivalry. This view on things is over dramatic.

No it’s not lol it’s an annual rivalry. College football sells history. It’s a big part of the product. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

The more they turn it into NFL jr the less I would tune in. I would just pivot to my FCS team and casually follow Auburn. 

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

The more they turn it into NFL jr the less I would tune in. I would just pivot to my FCS team and casually follow Auburn. 

Well fortunately the NFL isn't hurting and I don't think college football will be either. You do you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Great. Wish this was started tomorrow. I am all for a 10 game conference schedule, if the others don't want to play us. I doubt that will happen because they know where the most entertaining conference comes from.

The Pac 12?  Because from a pure chaos standpoint and teams having a legit shot to win their title, its them by a landslide.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The Pac 12?  Because from a pure chaos standpoint and teams having a legit shot to win their title, its them by a landslide.

What are you talking about? Parity has ruined the NFL. Not already knowing who will win 90% of the games is why nobody watches it anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

No and that is not how that works unless you like watching games at 11 pm and midnight.

Edited by DAG

Also if I were the BIG 12, I would be trying to get Cinci and BYU in pronto. Maybe that can open the door to Texas and OU sooner (No pun, but bars)?