Auburn in the NBA

McLoofus

If this thread already exists, please delete. But if it doesn't, maybe it should now? Is that what Auburn basketball is now?

Anyway, from an ATL sports media guy.

Also:

What a magical time to be an Auburn fan and an Atlanta fan.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mavs fan here, but When I saw the Hawks drafted him I was very concerned with them already having Tray. I was able to watch one of their pre-season games, and quickly changed my tune. No way they can keep Coop off the court. Having said all that, how is he doing?  Is he getting some minutes?  

1 hour ago, TXaubie said:

Mavs fan here, but When I saw the Hawks drafted him I was very concerned with them already having Tray. I was able to watch one of their pre-season games, and quickly changed my tune. No way they can keep Coop off the court. Having said all that, how is he doing?  Is he getting some minutes?  

He's played 7 minutes so far this season in 2 games. 0-3 from the field (all 3s). Shocked he hasn't played more, tbh.

Trae has needed some reps adjusting his game to the new NBA rules and the Hawks have had a pretty rough start to the season. Don't think Cooper sees many minutes until they really get grounded. Skylar Mays also got a ton of love for them during preseason, Jalen Johnson was great in SL, and both are getting the same paltry minutes as him...

On 10/31/2021 at 8:30 PM, tgrogan21 said:

He's played 7 minutes so far this season in 2 games. 0-3 from the field (all 3s). Shocked he hasn't played more, tbh.

Thanks. That was my fear!!  They just don’t sit Trae. Ever. My brother was trying to convince me they can both be on the court at the same time. I would have to see it to believe it….Still early. So I’ll stay optimistic, but really hate that he ended up there. When Coop gets some time he will show he belongs on the court. 

7 hours ago, TXaubie said:

Thanks. That was my fear!!  They just don’t sit Trae. Ever. My brother was trying to convince me they can both be on the court at the same time. I would have to see it to believe it….Still early. So I’ll stay optimistic, but really hate that he ended up there. When Coop gets some time he will show he belongs on the court. 

Would be atrocious defensively 

Coop got optioned to the G-League Skyhawks along with Mays and Johnson. Should see more playing time there. Don’t imagine he sees much time with the big club for a while barring injuries.

On 11/3/2021 at 5:24 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Would be atrocious defensively 

Exactly what I told my brother!!  And he started it by telling me how bad Trae was at defense. I’m like well Coop is not gonna be much of an upgrade. And both in at the same time won’t work for that exact reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TXaubie said:

Exactly what I told my brother!!  And he started it by telling me how bad Trae was at defense. I’m like well Coop is not gonna be much of an upgrade. And both in at the same time won’t work for that exact reason.

yeah, Cleveland has found a way to make two bad guards at defense work with omega elite (at D) and versatile bigs in Mobley and Allen. Clint isn't as good as either on D, and esp can't move as well. Okongwu can be promising, but still young

They just got a few too many guys who only excel at one of side of the ball 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

On 11/6/2021 at 12:58 PM, mustache eagle said:

If auburn had cooper and Thor … I know I know I know …. But I can’t help but what if …

good for Thor to make a statement.

You forgot Justin Powell. We would be unbelievable this year if we would’ve kept those 3 players! Preseason top 5 no doubt.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:51 PM, toddc said:

From looking at this picture he has added some mass. He looks stronger while still being lean.

On 11/5/2021 at 11:02 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

yeah, Cleveland has found a way to make two bad guards at defense work with omega elite (at D) and versatile bigs in Mobley and Allen. Clint isn't as good as either on D, and esp can't move as well. Okongwu can be promising, but still young

They just got a few too many guys who only excel at one of side of the ball 

They play such a long line-up. They play three 7 footers basically. I wouldn't say sexton was bad at defense though. 

On 11/7/2021 at 4:55 PM, CameronCrazy said:

You forgot Justin Powell. We would be unbelievable this year if we would’ve kept those 3 players! Preseason top 5 no doubt.

Powell wouldn't start here.

52 minutes ago, cole256 said:

They play such a long line-up. They play three 7 footers basically. I wouldn't say sexton was bad at defense though. 

I was watching them play Charlotte and they made me a believer just off of that. Made Miles Bridges look like a little boy, and he was the power forward. Like 8 dunks in a quarter for JA. It’s like the 2019 Lakers on steroids 

My eye test, Sexton’s a smart enough defender, but is just physically limited in almost every matchup, like a CJ McCollum. I know he’s def not an analytics darling on that end, but someone like Trae isn’t either, and he didn’t explicitly hurt the hawks last PO. I guess it’s just about the situations you put them in

On 11/6/2021 at 12:51 PM, toddc said:

I knew it was gonna be over whenever he consistently figured out how to use his frame. We could’ve had our own little Cleveland Cavs with Thor-Jabari-Kessler lineups. Oh well 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a good year for auburn players so far this year. Okoro and okeke have lost their starting gigs to new players so far. Okeke is coming off an injury though. But Wagner has been much better than expected.

Both guys struggling to find a rhythm after injuries. Encouraging to see Okoro back in the starting lineup the last couple games, but he's shooting like crap. Plus, they have multiple other guys out. Not sure the Cavs even know their rotation when everyone is available.

As far as the Cavs they play Allen, Mobley, and markenne with Garland and sexton when everybody is healthy. I imagine to make up for the small size of the back court you play 3  7 footers. 

Okoro will still play a bunch because markennen can't ever stay healthy

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

It's not a good year for auburn players so far this year. Okoro and okeke have lost their starting gigs to new players so far. Okeke is coming off an injury though. But Wagner has been much better than expected.

Okeke has played a few more minutes as of late just got to stay injury free. Hell we even beat the Knicks wow we're at 4 wins