Worst Hands for a team I've ever seen

AUght2win

Guest MustardSeed
6 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

To sum it up Auburn's receivers couldn't catch a cold.

I’m pretty sure they could manage that, cause those things chase you down and they can’t evade either. 

3 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

Read.  Both are to blame. Bo is and always has been inaccurate. Receivers are dropping passes.  Again, I can't make you see something you turn a blind eye to. 

I reject your argument on premise. It isn't both. Today's drops are not on Bo. If it hits you in the hands, you catch it. Period. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sizzle said:

If our starting receivers dropping this many passes then how many are the backups dropping in practice?????

Canion especially and I guess occasionally Capers have to just be playing slap ass. Tarvish has to literally not be doing anything at practice. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I reject your argument on premise. It isn't both. Today's drops are not on Bo. If it hits you in the hands, you catch it. Period. 

I wouldn’t say that at all. A couple of those throws to Shivers were devoid of the awareness that the guy’s a RB, and sometimes he wasn’t even out of his break yet, One was to the wrong shoulder of where he expected to get the ball, it looked like. I mainly blame the drops of the receivers, but some of them were put in the worst possible points that you’d consider one’s “catch radius”. It’s closer to 70-30 than say, 90-10

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I wouldn’t say that at all. A couple of those throws to Shivers were devoid of the awareness that the guy’s a RB, and sometimes he wasn’t even out of his break yet, One was to the wrong shoulder of where he expected to get the ball, it looked like. I mainly blame the drops of the receivers, but some of them were put in the worst possible points that you’d consider one’s “catch radius”. It’s closer to 70-30 than say, 90-10

If it hits you in the hands, you catch it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, AUght2win said:

It devastated us today. We may not have won anyway, but it was the primary reason it wasn't close.

- Shenker drops open touchdown. 

- Shivers drops first down, which is intercepted for UGA's first momentum play of the game.

- Shedrick drops a crucial post route 20 yards downfield.

- Robertson drops 3rd down pass in 3rs quarter. 

- Robertson drops a 20 yard fade route down sideline. 

Those are just the ones I can remember. It's embarrassing. How could we be this bad in such a simple phase? Can't blame it all on Corn Williams.

Wide receivers = NC SOS

11 hours ago, AUx said:

I'm sorry my humor led to alcohol abuse. I hate to see any drop wasted.

Don’t worry. It wasn’t wasted. The dog lapped up most of it and then fell asleep on the the couch. 

It’s a small sample size but I hope Landen King sees more time. He made 2 nice catches yesterday. Not sure what’s up with Canions situation but I hope to see him more too. 

33 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I was always coached "If you can touch it,  you can  catch it."

And yet you didn’t play in the NFL? Curious. Almost like quipped little strong man quotes from coaches aren’t enough to teach people how to actually succeed

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, ToomersRevenge said:

And yet you didn’t play in the NFL? Curious. Almost like quipped little strong man quotes from coaches aren’t enough to teach people how to actually succeed

WTF?    Did you play NFL?   why are you such a dick? Curious. 

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, AUght2win said:

It devastated us today. We may not have won anyway, but it was the primary reason it wasn't close.

- Shenker drops open touchdown. 

- Shivers drops first down, which is intercepted for UGA's first momentum play of the game.

- Shedrick drops a crucial post route 20 yards downfield.

- Robertson drops 3rd down pass in 3rs quarter. 

- Robertson drops a 20 yard fade route down sideline. 

Those are just the ones I can remember. It's embarrassing. How could we be this bad in such a simple phase? Can't blame it all on Corn Williams.

Shivers missed everything that was placed in his hands. We have no reliable receivers. I don’t think the WR coach was the issue. Guys just can’t catch nicely thrown balls and they should not be on the field. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Just not true, great way to coach I think, but it's not reality.

55 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I was always coached "If you can touch it,  you can  catch it."

Piggybacking off AUght2win basically, the sayings for coaches don't translate to in-game. 'First down-Touchdown' was drilled into me as a running back, see lanes and secure a first down then move downfield for the TD. It's a good coaching point, but things don't always work out right.

Bo and receivers were to blame on a lot of them, the pass to Shenker for example, while not perfect, should have been caught. The INT off Shivers was on Bo, Pass in the backfield to a dude whose shoulders are turned away from you and breaking his neck to look back, you don't throw as hard as your limp noodle arm can throw at that dude.... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

You subscribe to the philosophy of professional receivers.Are you telling me that Bo is not to be blamed for his inaccuracy? That every "drop" by a receiver is solely on the receiver?  Again, you can lead the horse to water but you can't make him drink. Rewatch the game, heck watch every game that Bo has played in and you will see way more inconsistent/ inaccurate play than even above average play.. Facts are not debatable, Bo is what he is.He is not a top tier QB. The only consistencies he shows is his lack of accuracy and trying to play hero ball. Accept it and move on...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ToomersRevenge said:

It's actually the opposite. Simple phrases like that and "eye on the ball" are made to help elementary school kids grasp the fundamentals of the game. 

It doesn't take an NFL caliber player to catch a football. Just find about a 9 year old kid who will listen. Stop defending how poorly our skill guys have played in the passing game. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

You subscribe to the philosophy of professional receivers.Are you telling me that Bo is not to be blamed for his inaccuracy? That every "drop" by a receiver is solely on the receiver?  Again, you can lead the horse to water but you can't make him drink. Rewatch the game, heck watch every game that Bo has played in and you will see way more inconsistent/ inaccurate play than even above average play.. Facts are not debatable, Bo is what he is.He is not a top tier QB. The only consistencies he shows is his lack of accuracy and trying to play hero ball. Accept it and move on...

Of course Bo isn't a top tier QB. Which makes these drops all the more inexcusable and unaffordable. We don't have a good enough QB to drop the passes he actually throws well. 

A "drop" is defined literally as a catchable ball that bounces off a receivers hands or upper body. Everything else is considered a "target". So very literally, yes, a drop is always on the receiver, especially at this level. 

Heck, these guys drill by standing 5 feet from JUGS machines that are firing off lasers, to train specifically for high velocity. Velocity has to be high at this level. Windows are closing, and the quicker you get the ball to your man, the more room he's going to have. You noodle arm a swing pass and Shivers will be eaten alive by a backer.

If you want to criticize Bo, there's plenty to criticize. But don't sit here and tell me an SEC quarterback "throws too hard". That says a lot about either your ignorance of the game or your low opinion of our receivers. Either way, you've got this one way wrong. Let's have a little accountability that goes beyond the quarterback. 

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

It's actually the opposite. Simple phrases like that and "eye on the ball" are made to help elementary school kids grasp the fundamentals of the game. 

It doesn't take an NFL caliber player to catch a football. Just find about a 9 year old kid who will listen. Stop defending how poorly our skill guys have played in the passing game. 

I don’t think @ToomersRevengewas giving a pass to the poor play of our receivers, just the quips coaches use at the *elementary* level of playing the game.

You can grasp the fundamentals, but if you do not get past those quotes, you may not fully understand what it takes to succeed.  Case in point;  back in the day, little league plays used to chant: hey batter batter swing.  The reason they were coached to do that was to be alert when the batter should swing so they were ready for the ball to be put in play.  You never heard that after grade school as the developed players knew the fundamentals and were ready on their own.

Every WR recruit wants to play in the NFL and college is their proving ground.  The teaching should go beyond if it hits your hand you should catch it.

EVERYBODY needs to get better. If you come from that game thinking nothing is on Bo you are out of your freaking mind

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, cole256 said:

EVERYBODY needs to get better. If you come from that game thinking nothing is on Bo you are out of your freaking mind

Amen.   Too say that just because a ball hits a guy in the hands should be catchable is laughable.    Knowing when to heat it up and when to take something off and ball placement is more important than anything 

• Like 1

It is in their heads now, both the quarterback and the receivers have lost confidence.   I am no Bo apologist but at  some point the receivers have to step up.  Not every  ball has to be thrown perfectly or in stride or with a soft touch to be caught and a few drops for whatever reason are going to happen.  I truly hope they can turn it around  and play at a higher level but it will take mental toughness to overcome this level of ineptitude.  So it is now up to the player to believe they can do it and the coaches to make them believe it because all the jugs drills in the world won't help if you lack confidence in yourself or your teammate.

We lost primarily because we got beat badly at the line of scrimmage. You almost always lose when that happens.  Clemson has a good offensive line and they got beat badly at the line of scrimmage against Georgia.  The drops definitely hurt but we had lots of issues.  In college ball, you almost always need a transcendent QB to get to the top. Bo is not that, but he is the best we have right now. We can win 3 out of the next 4 with him if the rest of the team does their job.  If we would have had Joe Burrow his senior year, we would have cruised to a championship just like LSU did.  We gotta play with the hand we have, but we need to recruit even better than Gus. It ain't gonna be easy. I thought Harsin did a great job with portal last year, but he has to do better with high school players too. We shall see.