Worst Hands for a team I've ever seen

AUght2win

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I don’t think @ToomersRevengewas giving a pass to the poor play of our receivers, just the quips coaches use at the *elementary* level of playing the game.

You can grasp the fundamentals, but if you do not get past those quotes, you may not fully understand what it takes to succeed.  Case in point;  back in the day, little league plays used to chant: hey batter batter swing.  The reason they were coached to do that was to be alert when the batter should swing so they were ready for the ball to be put in play.  You never heard that after grade school as the developed players knew the fundamentals and were ready on their own.

Every WR recruit wants to play in the NFL and college is their proving ground.  The teaching should go beyond if it hits your hand you should catch it.

The teaching should go beyond, yes. The expectation should not be so low as to try and say unless a ball is thrown softly and perfectly, we can't expect it to be caught. I guarantee you the actual skills guys we, and coaches, aren't telling Bo he is throwing too hard.

Many teams do this, but here's an example of our own squad (2017) repping bullets with the JUGS machine. A pass "being thrown too hard" just isn't a thing at this level

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Many teams do this, but here's an example of our own squad (2017) repping bullets with the JUGS machine. A pass "being thrown too hard" just isn't a thing at this level

They need to make the landing point variable as Bo ain’t going to put it there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

A pass to a hb on a screen play can absolutely be thrown too hard.

• Thanks 1

This is NFL combine where Steve Smith goes off about throwing the ball too hard just to show off arm strength. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Depends on how far away they are IMO. Couple of those that Shivers wasn't ready for, and hit his back, I blame Bo. But a "drop" is like an "error" in baseball. Term only applies when the ball comes to the fielder in a totally playable way, and the play isn't made. 

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

The teaching should go beyond, yes. The expectation should not be so low as to try and say unless a ball is thrown softly and perfectly, we can't expect it to be caught. I guarantee you the actual skills guys we, and coaches, aren't telling Bo he is throwing too hard.

I don’t think that is the expectations of the coaching staff.  I can see some fans trying to make that excuse when trying to defend the WR’s or bash the QB.  The team needs to be unified in their honest assessment of *blame* in the passes that were not complete that should have been.

Bo is an intense guy, sometimes the receivers do not match his intensity.  Sometimes Bo doesn’t need to be so intense.  If it was easy to fix it would have been.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The difference to me was when it was thrown. Thrown too early that he had not turned up field yet. Even if he would have caught that one (Shivers) defensive player was there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You are talking about a practice drill where everyone knows it’s coming at 100 miles an hour.    If you knew you had to run a drill, you would make the catch too.   But in a game situation,  a guy 5 yards from you doesn’t have to get thrown a ball 100 miles an hour.   I agree that balls that hit the hands should be caught, but it’s just asinine to think the throw couldn’t have been better 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Couple of those that Shivers wasn't ready for, and hit his back, I blame Bo

The way I saw one play is that Bo was in trouble and was throwing the ball away.  Bo’s reactions after that one seemed to indicate Bo believed Shivers should have caught it.  This indicates to me Bo wasn’t situationally aware enough to realize Shivers looked like he was blocking for a Bo scramble. 

Just not on the same page.

Edited by I_M4_AU
  • Like 1

Just now, Hank2020 said:

The difference to me was when it was thrown. Thrown too early that he had not turned up field yet. Even if he would have caught that one (Shivers) defensive player was there.

Don’t think he had time to wait, pressure came in quick.  Appeared to be a one read, quick hitting play - which sux b/c TE was completely uncovered on the other side of the field.

Shivers, a SR with NFL aspirations, should have caught that ball - level of difficulty was not that great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

EVERYBODY needs to get better. If you come from that game thinking nothing is on Bo you are out of your freaking mind

Why can't ppl discuss a position group? Why does every criticism of these offense HAVE to include one of Bo as well?

We've had countless threads about Bo no playing well without having to also include the OL/WR/TE/RBs.

Seems odd that every thread critiquing a position group you have to make sure everyone knows Bo is also at fault. 

Just an observation. Coming from someone who has laid plenty of blame at Bo

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Bo is Bo and I doubt if his accuracy is going to change. While there are side issues, the OP discussion is about the passes that actually DO hit the WRs/TEs/RBs right in the hands or chest and they drop it 5-7 times a game. That can't keep happening.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Why can't ppl discuss a position group? Why does every criticism of these offense HAVE to include one of Bo as well?

We've had countless threads about Bo no playing well without having to also include the OL/WR/TE/RBs.

Seems odd that every thread critiquing a position group you have to make sure everyone knows Bo is also at fault. 

Just an observation. Coming from someone who has laid plenty of blame at Bo

I reply to what I see. If I see multiple posts saying it's not on Bo it's on wr I'm going to talk about that. And if this was the linebackers I'm sure you wouldn't see Bo but the fact you have to talk about drops will lead to talk about the reasons for drops, when you have to talk about reasons for drops you have to talk about ball placement, when you have to talk ball placement there's just one guy who throws the balls.

Sort of how it works for an offence, hence the importance of the position. That positions effects every position of offense. I'd like to see someone talk about the offense wr's especially and not mention the QB

Also I completely disagree we've had threads about Bo without the other position groups. I don't recall any

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

With our guys still dropping balls, former WR Coach Williams must be laughing his butt off for apparently getting some blame for that problem

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I wouldn’t say that at all. A couple of those throws to Shivers were devoid of the awareness that the guy’s a RB, and sometimes he wasn’t even out of his break yet, One was to the wrong shoulder of where he expected to get the ball, it looked like. I mainly blame the drops of the receivers, but some of them were put in the worst possible points that you’d consider one’s “catch radius”. It’s closer to 70-30 than say, 90-10

Bo did not play the perfect game.  But when you play an SEC defense the throwing lanes are going to be narrow and playing Georgia the lanes will be even smaller.  It is unrealistic to think Georgia will give passing lanes where the QB can make perfect passes if not delusional is unrealistic.   For instance Bo threw a pass a little bit behind Davis running across the center of the field still hit him in the hands and was dropped.  If Bo had made the pass leading Davis as what a good pass would be it would have gotten him knockout by the safety.  In addition, some of those throws had to be high because the Dawg linebackers were getting deep drops and to get over those guys the throw had to be high.  Again the Dawgs are not going to give a team ideal lanes to throw but to have a chance against a team like georgia those catches have to be made.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

EVERYBODY needs to get better. If you come from that game thinking nothing is on Bo you are out of your freaking mind

I would tend to defer to the 2 ex QBs in the CBS booth who (love 'em or not) both concurred that maybe the passes need more touch. off speed instead of fastball.

Listen my comment clearly came off more aggressively than intended and for that I apologize. I’m very critical of our WR group right now. They had plenty of big time drops of totally catchable balls. My only point was…what can we do about it with the guys we have? Easy quips won’t have these guys catching the “easy” balls we saw dropped. It’s been an issue since spring. Is there something we can do as a team to improve or do we just literally have to write off an entire position group?

I wonder if the guys are dropping a bunch in practice or not?

remember when Sal Cantanella was being reported as catching everything in practice and was a beast and then he dropped the first couple in game situations and it got in his head for quite some time.  

for the people who are making the point about Corn being fired and the wr receivers still dropping the ball, just stop.   Anyone with an ounce of intelligence knows that is not why he was fired.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Anyone with an ounce of intelligence knows that is not why he was fired.

Yes it was the dozens of plays where we had 10 men on the field and there isn't any video proof

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yes it was the dozens of plays where we had 10 men on the field and there isn't any video proof

Hilarious and true

• Like 1