CBH After Game Statement

toddc

Guest MustardSeed
4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I fully realize this won’t be popular; Saban had a top-five recruiting class in 2007 and 2008.

Look at where we closed in recruiting last year, and we’re currently ranked 40th in the country. I know we won’t end at 40th, but we’ll probably have trouble cracking the top 20 or top 15 in recruiting. Soon we will be adding Texas and Oklahoma to the mix. It is, what it is.

Yes that is true. 
However Saban had already also won a NC and him coming back to college was the biggest story in all of football.  That’s a once in a lifetime scenario. Kirby did go to UGA and immediately recruit huge but UGA was doing that already and he already had all the connections around the area. Harsin has to build those. That does take time. As far as only being ranked 40th,  we only have 11 commits. Every SEC team ranked ahead of us has at least 14. I believe we may end up top 15 this year and are getting interest from some high level players for 2023. Will Harsin pull off great classes?  Yet to be seen. Are there signs he has the potential to get there?  Yes. Just yesterday (43) 4/5 stars visited campus. Might be a gimmick weekend but there has already been some recruits responding with us making their top list from yesterday. Give it time. I think Harsin may surprise us on that front. 

13 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Culture is the easy part. Talent is the only thing that will get us where we want to be.

The culture is what the top talent are looking for in a program.  The reason Ga and Bama have great talent is because they changed the culture first.  It is not easy, culture goes hand in hand with success and when we have success the talent will come.

Harsin has to convince talent that the culture he is trying to instill at Auburn will lead to success.  He will have to sell himself to these recruits and deliver on his promise of a better culture.  JMO.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I disagree. To me culture is the hardest part. Its what requires dedication, attention to detail, and focus on the small things. We've had the talent the last 8+ years, we haven't had the culture. That's why the talent was never realized.

Not only it is hard to change, but it is harder to maintain.

• Like 2

Some of yall are just some straight up P’sies. Whining ab recruiting and talking ab Tex and OK. Idgaf who comes into the conference. Bet- Auburn will end up woth a recruiting class in the 10-20 range and will bring in some needed transfers (those go unranked). Also if you cant see the quality of play thats being required and the quality of play being coached youre freaking blind. If after that game and the lsu you game you havent fully bought into harsin then just go cheer for someone else cuz youre an idiot and you dont need to be here. War damn eagle. 

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Not only it is hard to change, but it is harder to maintain.

That’s the key to a winning program- stability and culture-the recruiting will respond to this in a positive way.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, toddc said:

That’s the key to a winning program- stability and culture-the recruiting will respond to this in a positive way.

I said earlier that the top recruits are looking for a program with a good culture, one they (and their parents) believe they can thrive in.  Harsin has to convince these recruits Auburn is that program.  Stability will grow out of that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

I disagree. To me culture is the hardest part. Its what requires dedication, attention to detail, and focus on the small things. We've had the talent the last 8+ years, we haven't had the culture. That's why the talent was never realized.

Former players yesterday after the game were saying “Gus wasn’t the problem “ and I’m sure you can guess who they are. It’s like he had voodoo on them I don’t understand. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Former players yesterday after the game were saying “Gus wasn’t the problem “ and I’m sure you can guess who they are. It’s like he had voodoo on them I don’t understand. 

A feline of large stature? Should worry more about beating 1-4 Navy.  🙄

Regardless, getting all those recruits on campus is going to have to translate. 

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 10:00 PM, MustardSeed said:

So 2016 is extremely intriguing isn’t it…

Smarts first year. They likely had more overall talent left by Richt than Gus left. They lost 5 games, went 4-4 in the SEC East and yet he wasn’t fired or run out of town🤔

how’d that work out? 😁

Georgia is a prime example of why Harsin deserves a few years before some of these crazy AU fans break out their pitch forks. 

Most people don't realize this, but 24/7 has a composite talent index that only accounts for scholarship players currently on rosters.  Auburn's composite ranking was calculated based on 81 players.  We ranked #14 in the country.

Whether someone places stock in recruiting rankings or not, that does show that there is talent on this roster.  Our problems are position specific. Specifically OL and WR.  QB play is problematic at times, but even there we have talent on the roster.

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

Most people don't realize this, but 24/7 has a composite talent index that only accounts for scholarship players currently on rosters.  Auburn's composite ranking was calculated based on 81 players.  We ranked #14 in the country.

Whether someone places stock in recruiting rankings or not, that does show that there is talent on this roster.  Our problems are position specific. Specifically OL and WR.  QB play is problematic at times, but even there we have talent on the roster.

Can you link to this list?

6 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I believe you saw that, but what position group do we have at least the 14th best group in the country. LB maybe. RB? What else?

7 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

I believe you saw that, but what position group do we have at least the 14th best group in the country. LB maybe. RB? What else?

Good question.  At times, we have several position groups that play to that level.  At times, we have none that play to that level.  Our defensive line and linebackers are playing well.  Our rush defense is good.  Our running game has been to that level more times than not.

11 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

And Bo Nix was a 5 star recruit.

Mic Drop GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Yes.  A legit 5 star QB that set the Alabama high school passing record.  He has talent, but he also has habits that detract from that talent.  He could literally be on any team we play.  He wouldn't start over J T Daniels, but he would start over the Georgia QB we faced Saturday if he played for uga.

Rankings and stats are the be all end all, but my point is that the notion that this is a total rebuild that some want to chirp about isn't accurate.  There are deficiencies that need to be addressed, but calling Auburn a total rebuild is just not honest.

Edited by AU9377
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Stockholm syndrome.

LOL.  The only reason Gus even comes up is the insistence by some to blame the man for everything imaginable.  His time was up at Auburn.  It was time for new energy and fresh perspective.  That doesn't mean that he left a roster void of talent.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 11:13 AM, bigbird said:

You kill it every time with these posts. 

Ive argued for years that we usually beat teams on pure athleticism alone. OM, MSU, Arky, TAMU, etc we’re usually W’s because Auburn more often than not just had better players to make plays. Had nothing to do with our coaching or out scheming on offense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, woodford said:

You kill it every time with these posts. 

Ive argued for years that we usually beat teams on pure athleticism alone. OM, MSU, Arky, TAMU, etc we’re usually W’s because Auburn more often than not just had better players to make plays. Had nothing to do with our coaching or out scheming on offense. 

Getting that recipe right is not easy.  First, everyone has to be pulling in the same direction.  Assistants cannot be undermining what you are doing.  Even when the culture is perfect, in a league this tough, there will be losses that undermine what you are doing.

Overall, we did out recruit those schools listed over the past 8 to 10 years. TAMU is the close exception.

On 10/10/2021 at 1:48 PM, Auhud08 said:

Some of yall are just some straight up P’sies. Whining ab recruiting and talking ab Tex and OK. Idgaf who comes into the conference. Bet- Auburn will end up woth a recruiting class in the 10-20 range and will bring in some needed transfers (those go unranked). Also if you cant see the quality of play thats being required and the quality of play being coached youre freaking blind. If after that game and the lsu you game you havent fully bought into harsin then just go cheer for someone else cuz youre an idiot and you dont need to be here. War damn eagle. 

Someone can be fully bought into Harsin and support him, while still questioning the man.  He is no savant.  You act as though the man has a wall full of championships.  Every coach Auburn has had since Pat Dye has competed at the top of the conference within 2 years.  Simply stating that this staff should be doing the same within 3 is not some grand over expectation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Every coach Auburn has had since Pat Dye has competed at the top of the conference within 2 years

Every coach since Dye has failed to sustain any real level of success after that. Maybe it's because they went for the quick fix rather than the right fix.  Foundations aren't fun or easy to build.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 10/10/2021 at 12:48 PM, Auhud08 said:

Some of yall are just some straight up P’sies.

This is one of the few statements on which this board should have unanimous agreement 

• Like 1