Late getting play calls in

TuscaloosaTiger

This is a coaching problem on both sides of the ball that was very evident yesterday and contributed to our less than stellar outcome. By this point in the season one would hope this would have been a resolved problem, but it continues to persist. Do OC and DC coaches need to be on the sidelines? Where is the breakdown and what is the remedy?

It's really noticeable when we are on defense. Opposing teams know it, and will run pace to catch us in base or worse. And we seem to be slowing down getting plays in as season progresses. 

1 minute ago, MustardSeed said:

1st year staff. 1st year of players in the new system. It will come. Patience. 

Agree. 
also agree that they need to be on the sideline. 

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Late getting play calls in
25 minutes ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

This is a coaching problem on both sides of the ball that was very evident yesterday and contributed to our less than stellar outcome. By this point in the season one would hope this would have been a resolved problem, but it continues to persist. Do OC and DC coaches need to be on the sidelines? Where is the breakdown and what is the remedy?

Derek Mason need to be on the sidelines 

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

1st year staff. 1st year of players in the new system. It will come. Patience. 

Come on.....that's no excuse not to fix that big of an issue.....especially 6 games into the season. It's not something that has to wait on better recruits. The coaches themselves can figure it out right now. 

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
5 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Come on.....that's no excuse not to fix that big of an issue.....especially 6 games into the season. It's not something that has to wait on better recruits. The coaches themselves can figure it out right now. 

Yeah, I’m sure they are just saying they’ll get to it next year.  Having an issue also doesn’t require scrapping your entire design. It requires tweaking and repetition. That’s why you have patience. Not because the issues don’t matter, but because you give the coaches time to get the issues worked out. 

5 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Yeah, I’m sure they are just saying they’ll get to it next year.  Having an issue also doesn’t require scrapping your entire design. It requires tweaking and repetition. That’s why you have patience. Not because the issues don’t matter, but because you give the coaches time to get the issues worked out. 

Six games in is plenty of time to fix an issue like that. Nobody said they'd wait till next season.....that was exactly my point. It is something that can be fixed now, and should have been addressed already. You're the one advocating for "patience". And in a lot of areas I agree with that. This is just not something that should be new to any coach, especially by the time the season is half over. Neither Bobo nor Mason are inexperienced coaches in the SEC.  And I never said anything about scrapping an entire design so no need to mansplain all that. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

This person does not like this coaching staff. I wouldn't waste my time. It is the same consistent whining from a select few every week. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

I wonder if the delay in play calls (O and D) is because of the booth sending JIT info trying to match up best as possible to what is presented on the other side of the LOS? I’m not sure I’ve seen consistently-good reads by each individual yet. Maybe the alternative could have been worse without it. Picking one poison over another? Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

Not true. The terminologies and assignments vary greatly from one staff to another. It’s like learning a foreign language. It takes some time. And it’s not unique to Auburn.  I see some of the nations top teams and coaches struggle with this all the time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUx said:

I wonder if the delay in play calls (O and D) is because of the booth sending JIT info trying to match up best as possible to what is presented on the other side of the LOS? I’m not sure I’ve seen consistently-good reads by each individual yet. Maybe the alternative could have been worse without it. Picking one poison over another? Just a thought.

Yeah maybe. But it's a weakness that get exploited. 

Spoiler

Guest MustardSeed
32 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Six games in is plenty of time to fix an issue like that. Nobody said they'd wait till next season.....that was exactly my point. It is something that can be fixed now, and should have been addressed already. You're the one advocating for "patience". And in a lot of areas I agree with that. This is just not something that should be new to any coach, especially by the time the season is half over. Neither Bobo nor Mason are inexperienced coaches in the SEC.  And I never said anything about scrapping an entire design so no need to mansplain all that. 

I don’t mean to imply you are saying scrap the entire design, but that it what is being discussed here. People are saying the coordinators should be on the sideline. Doing that scraps the entire design of the way they run things.  The problem with claiming this one issue should be fixed by now I believe discounts the overall amount of issues that are having to be addressed. Some of the issues are hold overs from the previous staff but a lot of the issues are self inflicted, but are also actually expected issues that come with a new staff, most of whom have never worked together before. I’m sure they are working on fixing this particular issue but us looking from the outside and only addressing the one issue doesn’t necessarily see the whole picture of all the issues they are addressing/kinks they are working out and therefore we can’t see how much time they actually have available to work on this one issue. That’s why I say we have patience on all things.  I appreciate your concern on the subject and agree with it. They’ll figure out how to get this issue and others resolved over time collectively. 

Guest MustardSeed
38 minutes ago, DAG said:

This person does not like this coaching staff. I wouldn't waste my time. It is the same consistent whining from a select few every week. 

I get what you’re saying, but I feel everyone is worth my time. It may not always pay off the way I hope, but I’m ok with that as long as I hold myself in the proper manner. Hopefully my words can help others see some things in a different light.  Always worth trying, as long as we do it respectfully. 

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Not true. The terminologies and assignments vary greatly from one staff to another. It’s like learning a foreign language. It takes some time. And it’s not unique to Auburn.  I see some of the nations top teams and coaches struggle with this all the time. 

You think teams don't try to address it asap? I have seen coaches move down to the field because of that problem. And of course it's not unique to Auburn. No one is implying otherwise. That doesn't mean it shouldn't or can't get some attention by our coaches. 

• Like 1

Just now, MustardSeed said:

I get what you’re saying, but I feel everyone is worth my time. It may not always pay off the way I hope, but I’m ok with that as long as I hold myself in the proper manner. Hopefully my words can help others see some things in a different light.  Always worth trying, as long as we do it respectfully. 

God speed to you find sir. I see your post count and it is not high, so we will see how that goes in the future lol

• Haha 2

Guest MustardSeed
1 minute ago, DAG said:

God speed to you find sir. I see your post count and it is not high, so we will see how that goes in the future lol

Well I give you permission to remind me where I should be if I ever start getting off course

11 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I don’t mean to imply you are saying scrap the entire design, but that it what is being discussed here. People are saying the coordinators should be on the sideline. Doing that scraps the entire design of the way they run things.  The problem with claiming this one issue should be fixed by now I believe discounts the overall amount of issues that are having to be addressed. Some of the issues are hold overs from the previous staff but a lot of the issues are self inflicted, but are also actually expected issues that come with a new staff, most of whom have never worked together before. I’m sure they are working on fixing this particular issue but us looking from the outside and only addressing the one issue doesn’t necessarily see the whole picture of all the issues they are addressing/kinks they are working out and therefore we can’t see how much time they actually have available to work on this one issue. That’s why I say we have patience on all things.  I appreciate your concern on the subject and agree with it. They’ll figure out how to get this issue and others resolved over time collectively. 

I count 10 times you used the word "issue".

11 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

You think teams don't try to address it asap? I have seen coaches move down to the field because of that problem. And of course it's not unique to Auburn. No one is implying otherwise. That doesn't mean it shouldn't or can't get some attention by our coaches. 

I can assure you that if message board topics are made then it has been noticed and addressed as much as possible. I think you're forgetting the amount of simple football mechanics that this coaching staff is trying to correct, let alone schematic and vernacular changes.

I like coordinators in the box. They can just see the field better and should help in making calls. Not sure what the delays are but it's not due to where the coordinator physically sits.

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
15 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I count 10 times you used the word "issue".

So you’re saying I admit there’s an issue?  Agreed 😂. Thanks for the insight

3 minutes ago, creed said:

I like coordinators in the box. They can just see the field better and should help in making calls. Not sure what the delays are but it's not due to where the coordinator physically sits.

Most of us, me included, don't have any idea what goes into a single playcall getting selected and relayed down to the field.  I assume there are a team of analysts or other coaches up there constantly pre-selecting groups of plays for a variety of scenarios that are bound to come up over the course of that drive.  Does the coordinator even have time to really watch the play before he has to make a decision on the next one?  What do they have, maybe 5 seconds to decide before it gets relayed and everybody gets lined up?

40 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Bammer's last TD against ATM last night came while the ATM staff was trying to get in signals to their D. Of course the refs ignored a blatant case of bammer not being set prior to the snap to let them have that TD. 

• Like 1

I think this has been a problem on defense, but I haven't noticed it at all on offense. I'll have to look back. I don't think we've had one delay of game call this year. Seemed to handle everything pre-snap really well at State and LSU. But totally agree on defense, guys seemed confused on where to lineup. Transitioning to a new system but I wouldn't be opposed to Mason coming down to the field

39 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I’m trying to understand how talking to a guy next to you saves time vs being in the booth (calling the plays into the headset). They both are instantaneous. They (OC/DC) may need to make the calls quicker but I don’t see how moving them automatically makes that faster.