3* OL Drew Bobo Commits to uga

Zeek

Drew Bobo, son of Auburn's OC, commits to Tigers

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 20 minutes ago

2022 OL Drew Bobo vs. Dothan

Drew Bobo spent much of his childhood in Athens, Ga., where his dad (Mike Bobo) not only was the Georgia Bulldogs' offensive coordinator but also had once been the program's starting quarterback. Auburn was, to say the least, not a school Drew liked very much growing up.

“I was at the (Prayer at Jordan-Hare in 2013) and remember turning to my uncle and saying, ’We pulled off the comeback — it’s over!’ And my uncle said to me, ‘It’s not over.’ On that long fourth down, I was cheering and then the ball tipped twice and I just remember putting my head in my hands and I started crying. I grew up a Georgia fan — my whole life. But when I was 12 we moved to Colorado. I stillcheered for Georgia on the side because we weren’t at a Big Power-5 school. But when we went to South Carolina that all went out the door. Wherever my dad is, that’s who I’m cheering for now.”

Today, Drew's father is at Auburn as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. And come January, Drew Bobo will be there, too.

At long last, Auburn has its first 2022 offensive line commit and the Tigers didn't have to go far to get him. Drew, a standout at nearby Auburn (Ala.) High, has given his verbal to Bryan Harsin's program. Bobo, listed at 6-foot-5 and 300 pounds, is a 3-star prospect and the No. 26 recruit in the state of Alabama for the industry generated 247Sports Composite. He also had offers from programs such as Georgia, Georgia Tech and Kentucky. 

He is commitment No. 12 for the Tigers.

Drew is an intriguing prospect, and not just because of who his father is. Although Auburn is recruiting him primarily for center or guard, he has the ability to play all five positions along the offensive line. That gives him added value.

Bobo's play this season for Auburn High has more than validated the offers he received. That includes the one he earned from Auburn after a strong camp performance for the Tigers in June in front of Harsin and offensive line coach Will Friend. Bobo knows Friend well; the coach is one of Mike Bobo's closest friends and has worked with him at multiple schools. Because of that, Friend has been in Drew Bobo's life for many years.

“He (even) stayed at our house for a few days (in South Carolina),” Drew Bobo said.

11COMMENTS

Bobo has attended every Auburn home game this season. He plans to take his official visit with the Tigers later in the year.

Auburn still hopes to sign several more offensive linemen in the 2022 class. One major target is tackle Eston Harris Jr., Bobo's teammate at Auburn High.

I'm surprised this didn't move us up in the rankings at all? I'd figure quantity would help.

Still important that we get O-linemen and people from AHS. So, this is start.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

1 down about 5+ more commits to go on the OL and hopefully he can convince his teammate Eston Harris to join us

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

1 down about 5+ more commits to go on the OL and hopefully he can convince his teammate Eston Harris to join us

If we can get Harris and Clemons, that will at least put us in the top 30 right?

Big kid , versatile , big upside and I bet he can learn the offense . 

get in the weight room and the dinner table . 

wde

I really love this pickup and it doesn’t matter who his Dad is. This kid appears to have it all. Love that he’s a potential Center too, that is so key to the additional OL we will hopefully bring in. 

• Like 1

Serious question. Will he count against our signing class since he is the coaches son? I may be getting old but I thought I read something about children os the staff get reduced or free tuition.

Really glad to get this commitment. Most of all he looks like a really good prospect at a position of great need. Having a guy who could potentially play all positions along the line is huge! But it also makes me feel a little better about the dynamics of the coaching staff. I was a little worried after Corn was fired if there might be more going on within the coaching staff and perhaps everybody was not gelling together. I doubt Bobo would commit if there was strife in the coaching staff and whole sale changes were coming in the offseason. 

• Like 1

His teammate seems to be heading Auburn's way as well.  Great to have an Olineman commit but still need outside linemen to commit.  TaMu beat Alabama the other night with a true freshman Center and Right Tackle but I feel like the transfer portal will have to be Auburn's friend for next year's line to be as good if not better than this year and thats obviously not saying a whole lot.  

Huge pickup and he is a Swiss pocket knife player who can play all 5 positions but I especially like that we are looking at him as a Center. War eagle and welcome aboard.  Please get Mr. Harris to join you.

• Like 2