2022 4* DL Khurtiss Perry

WFE12

4-star DL on Auburn visit 'I feel like I could make at impact'

Jason Caldwell

One of the top targets on Auburn’s board for the 2022 class, 4-star defensive lineman Khurtiss Perry made his first trip to Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday to see the Tigers in person and he left impressed by the play on the defensive line and the atmosphere surrounding the Georgia game.

“I like how the defensive line played,” Perry said. “I think Coach (Nick) Eason is a great DLine coach. The are a very great defensive line.

“It was a great game,” he added. “I liked the fans. I liked the atmosphere. I liked the student section. I liked how people came and treated me like family each and everywhere I went. I felt it.”

Something that took the game to another level was seeing longtime friend and mentor Marcus Harris suiting up for the Auburn defensive line. Teammates at Park Crossing, the two have remained close and Perry said seeing Harris living out his dream was a big deal for him.

“It’s big just seeing someone I grew up watching and trying to get better like him each and every day,” Perry said. “Now he’s on a big stage like this performing well. Hats off to Marcus.

“It most definitely (hit home) seeing Marcus out there making plays. That made my day.”
Planning to release his top list of schools as he and his teammates at Pike Road continue a journey towards a potential state title, Perry said after seeing Auburn in person he believes they’ll be in his group of favorites.

“Auburn is most definitely in there,” he said. “Yes sir. I feel like I could make an impact at Auburn. Auburn showed me much love. They are most definitely in one of my top spots.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hooverwareagle1 said:

Saw where AL.com moved Khurtiss up to #2 on the Top 15 HS Football Player List.  Jumped from like #6 up to #2. 

That should tell you everything you need to know about where Khurtiss will be playing his college football.

So, no chance for Auburn to land him?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

There’s a chance but small one, he’s more than likely going to Bama smh

Classic flirt with everyone while hoping Bama finally decides to give you some attention.

Wish some of these kids would realize they're better off with the schools that have been busting their butt for them and not the one that, after a few things don't work out, finally make room for you. 

Maybe I'm too prideful but momma didn't raise me to accept being a second choice. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Classic flirt with everyone while hoping Bama finally decides to give you some attention.

Wish some of these kids would realize they're better off with the schools that have been busting their butt for them and not the one that, after a few things don't work out, finally make room for you. 

Maybe I'm too prideful but momma didn't raise me to accept being a second choice. 

It sucks but I get it. They’re a dynasty. We got to put a better product on the field first. These guys got their eyes on the NFL, unfortunately there’s nobody better at putting guys in the league than Bama

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

It sucks but I get it. They’re a dynasty. We got to put a better product on the field first. These guys got their eyes on the NFL, unfortunately there’s nobody better at putting guys in the league than Bama

I would say it a different way. More Bama players wind up in NFL. I think most of 5 star players would wind up in NFL anyway( not all though).

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 3:06 PM, Zeek said:

I don't think he's a backup choice for Bama.  Pretty sure he has a committable offer.  They offered him back in 2019.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 4:06 PM, Zeek said:

Is there any evidence that's true?

Guest MustardSeed
On 10/11/2021 at 3:39 PM, Sizzle said:

This has been true in the past…but it’s declining and potentially quickly. 
last week they didn’t even register a single qb hurry against aTm. If we had that here the board would explode with claims of how horrible our DL is. Hopefully recruits can see the changing of the guard on the horizon. 

19 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

last week they didn’t even register a single qb hurry against aTm. If we had that here the board would explode with claims of how horrible our DL is. Hopefully recruits can see the changing of the guard on the horizon. 

They set a record in the most recent draft for most first rounders. They had 10 guys drafted- as many as we did in the last two drafts combined. And when you talk about average draft position, the comparison gets real ugly, real quick. They had a DT go in the 2nd round. 

We turned Monty Adams and Carl Lawson (!!!) into 3rd and 4th rounders. Jeff Holland didn't even get drafted. Dontavius Russell went in the 7th. Dee Ford, Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson are our only 3 DLs to get drafted in the top 2 rounds in the last 10 years, and I don't see any such players on our DL right now. bama has put 8 DLs in the top 2 rounds in that time, and have put at least one in the top 2 rounds every year going back to 2015. 

They had an off week in College Station against a national title winning coach, but I personally don't see any changing of the guard. And if there *is* a changing of the guard, it ain't changing to Auburn just yet. uga is well ahead of us in that regard, too. 

I'm optimistic than we can improve upon past results, but a recruit can hardly be blamed- to put it gently- to like their chances better at one of those programs. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't think he's a backup choice for Bama.  Pretty sure he has a committable offer.  They offered him back in 2019.

They haven't been pushing hard from everything I have read.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

They had an undefeated national championship season just last year man. Bama wins so much people think one loss is the end of a dynasty..... damn

• Love 1

Guest MustardSeed
3 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

They had an undefeated national championship season just last year man. Bama wins so much people think one loss is the end of a dynasty..... damn

Has literally nothing to do with record. Their defense is and has been slowly declining (top 2 in ypg every year for many years in a row up until 3 years ago to outside top 10, then outside top 20, then outside top 30) Multiple mock drafts currently have 1 Alabama OT in the first round and that’s it. Their D is not being developed like it was. The numbers show this to be true.  

Guest MustardSeed
46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

They set a record in the most recent draft for most first rounders. They had 10 guys drafted- as many as we did in the last two drafts combined. And when you talk about average draft position, the comparison gets real ugly, real quick. They had a DT go in the 2nd round. 

We turned Monty Adams and Carl Lawson (!!!) into 3rd and 4th rounders. Jeff Holland didn't even get drafted. Dontavius Russell went in the 7th. Dee Ford, Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson are our only 3 DLs to get drafted in the top 2 rounds in the last 10 years, and I don't see any such players on our DL right now. bama has put 8 DLs in the top 2 rounds in that time, and have put at least one in the top 2 rounds every year going back to 2015. 

They had an off week in College Station against a national title winning coach, but I personally don't see any changing of the guard. And if there *is* a changing of the guard, it ain't changing to Auburn just yet. uga is well ahead of us in that regard, too. 

I'm optimistic than we can improve upon past results, but a recruit can hardly be blamed- to put it gently- to like their chances better at one of those programs. 

They only had 2 defensive players drafted total.  Compare that to the previous 2 years and they had 5 each year. This year remains to be seen but I’ve seen multiple mock drafts with 1 Alabama OT in the first round and nothing else. Since we are discussing defense the overall numbers are less relevant, it’s the defensive numbers we are looking at and they are trending downward. 

25 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

They only had 2 defensive players drafted total.  Compare that to the previous 2 years and they had 5 each year. This year remains to be seen but I’ve seen multiple mock drafts with 1 Alabama OT in the first round and nothing else. Since we are discussing defense the overall numbers are less relevant, it’s the defensive numbers we are looking at and they are trending downward. 

They've essentially had the same team defense ranking each of the last three years. They're passing more and more and lengthening games. They're in the playoffs every year which guarantees them one or usually two top 5 neutral site matchups on top of an SEC schedule. Lots of ways to look at it. 

If anything, staff instability might be a concern for some kids. But, I mean, we're in year one of our staff and we already fired a dude. Meanwhile, their track record suggests an eventual reversion to the mean. 

No reason to think we offer something better in terms of development, at any position except maybe kicker. Hopefully that changes.

Guest MustardSeed
24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

They've essentially had the same team defense ranking each of the last three years. They're passing more and more and lengthening games. They're in the playoffs every year which guarantees them one or usually two top 5 neutral site matchups on top of an SEC schedule. Lots of ways to look at it. 

If anything, staff instability might be a concern for some kids. But, I mean, we're in year one of our staff and we already fired a dude. Meanwhile, their track record suggests an eventual reversion to the mean. 

No reason to think we offer something better in terms of development, at any position except maybe kicker. Hopefully that changes.

Definitely many ways to look at it , but by many stats their defense is in a hard slide since Kirby left. 
In YPG, they were top 5 every year but 1 from 08’- 2018, then outside top 10, outside top 20 and finally outside top 30. 
In PPG, they were top 5 every year from 09’-2018, then 10th, 15th, 13th and currently 41st. 
In draftees, they went 5 a year in 18/19 to 2 last year and currently no first rounders on many mock drafts. 

There are a lot of signs of a consistent backsliding. Has it fully translated to recruiting yet, no. But the longer this slide occurs the better for us to get those recruits that previously all wanted to go to bama. I’m certain opposing coaches are beating these same stats into recruits brains and the recent loss to subpar aTm with ZERO QB hurries can do nothing but help those discussions. Are we expected to overtake them in recruiting, probably not. But we should be able to close the gap on defense IMO 

6 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Definitely many ways to look at it , but by many stats their defense is in a hard slide since Kirby left. 
In YPG, they were top 5 every year but 1 from 08’- 2018, then outside top 10, outside top 20 and finally outside top 30. 
In PPG, they were top 5 every year from 09’-2018, then 10th, 15th, 13th and currently 41st. 
In draftees, they went 5 a year in 18/19 to 2 last year and currently no first rounders on many mock drafts. 

There are a lot of signs of a consistent backsliding. Has it fully translated to recruiting yet, no. But the longer this slide occurs the better for us to get those recruits that previously all wanted to go to bama. I’m certain opposing coaches are beating these same stats into recruits brains and the recent loss to subpar aTm with ZERO QB hurries can do nothing but help those discussions. Are we expected to overtake them in recruiting, probably not. But we should be able to close the gap on defense IMO 

There are signs suggesting that they won't maintain a complete defensive stranglehold on the rest of the country, yes. But there isn't anything suggesting that there is a changing of the guard from them to us. If there is a changing of the guard, it's from them to uga, with both of them still well ahead of us in their ability to turn blue chip defensive linemen into early round NFL draftees.

Garner actually did quite well recruiting DLs. But, as we see now more than ever, development and retention were big question marks. And now we're a complete unknown. 

We can certainly sell opportunity, though. 

Guest MustardSeed
18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

There are signs suggesting that they won't maintain a complete defensive stranglehold on the rest of the country, yes. But there isn't anything suggesting that there is a changing of the guard from them to us. If there is a changing of the guard, it's from them to uga, with both of them still well ahead of us in their ability to turn blue chip defensive linemen into early round NFL draftees.

Garner actually did quite well recruiting DLs. But, as we see now more than ever, development and retention were big question marks. And now we're a complete unknown. 

We can certainly sell opportunity, though. 

Yeah I kinda meant a changing of the guard from Alabama having the best D and sending the most D players to the league in general. Not necessarily to us. But hopefully we can take advantage of them sliding AND develop the players we get

6 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Yeah I kinda meant a changing of the guard from Alabama having the best D and sending the most D players to the league in general. Not necessarily to us. But hopefully we can take advantage of them sliding AND develop the players we get

Gotcha. Apologies. That's very fair.

As an aside, I've generally appreciated your content and am glad you're active around here these days. I think I just wanted to argue with you because I never have before and wanted to see how it would go. I think it went well!

• Haha 1