Monday Morning QB - Georgia

RunInRed

It's time to move on ... I know, I know ... but was re-watching the Georgia game and couldn't help but notice this on the opening drive ... so many missed opportunities ... Quez in the flat!

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

29 minutes ago, USATiger said:

well we can spin this multiple ways, but the truth is, our qb isn't very good.   Those passes are simple to most.   It dis what it dis

Ok.

47 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

It's time to move on ... I know, I know ... but was re-watching the Georgia game and couldn't help but notice this on the opening drive ... so many missed opportunities ... Quez in the flat!

44 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I posted this in another thread ... Shenker instead of the fastball to Shivers likely = 6 here ...

It's encouraging to me because in every game we've played there have been examples like this. Where the play is there to be made (SEVERAL in the Penn State game, for example). I think we're going to be fine as time goes on and the opportunities continue to present.

Edited by WDE_OxPx_2010
Typos

On both of these plays it seems Bo’s first read was to throw the ball where he threw it.  Because he felt he could make the throw that is where it went.  There is no situational awareness with Bo, he seems to want to fire the ball asap.  The Shivers throw, as you pointed out, could have gone to Shenker for 6.  I don’t know if Bo could have seen something in his pre-snap read to tip him off, but that ball was going to Shivers come high or he11 water.  Obviously, UGA knew this and didn’t even cover Shenker.  Tendencies……

The TD attempt to Shenker was very much the same thing.  Bo thought he could make the throw to Shenker and was confident Shenker could make the catch.  Bo didn’t put the ball where Shenker could make an easy catch.  I will say Shenker should have made that catch, but the play call allowed Bo to throw to either Shenker or Hunter as they both were in Bo’s line of sight.  Again, UGA knew (as the announcer said) Bobo’s tendency was to go to the TE in the red zone.  Just because it is the tendency should alert a thoughtful QB to check down to the open receiver for a completion and probably a TD.  JMO.

The coaches really need to know the SEC defenses are big on tendencies and to switch it up some, but ultimately it is up to the players to make plays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

On both of these plays it seems Bo’s first read was to throw the ball where he threw it.  Because he felt he could make the throw that is where it went.  There is no situational awareness with Bo, he seems to want to fire the ball asap.  The Shivers throw, as you pointed out, could have gone to Shenker for 6.  I don’t know if Bo could have seen something in his pre-snap read to tip him off, but that ball was going to Shivers come high or he11 water.  Obviously, UGA knew this and didn’t even cover Shenker.  Tendencies……

The TD attempt to Shenker was very much the same thing.  Bo thought he could make the throw to Shenker and was confident Shenker could make the catch.  Bo didn’t put the ball where Shenker could make an easy catch.  I will say Shenker should have made that catch, but the play call allowed Bo to throw to either Shenker or Hunter as they both were in Bo’s line of sight.  Again, UGA knew (as the announcer said) Bobo’s tendency was to go to the TE in the red zone.  Just because it is the tendency should alert a thoughtful QB to check down to the open receiver for a completion and probably a TD.  JMO.

The coaches really need to know the SEC defenses are big on tendencies and to switch it up some, but ultimately it is up to the players to make plays.

Did you see PFF's position grades of every player (free board on another site)? If two of your OL were grading that poorly, you'd unload the ball to the first open receiver every play too. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Did you see PFF's position grades of every player (free board on another site)? If two of your OL were grading that poorly, you'd unload the ball to the first open receiver every play too. 

Both of these plays the pass pro was good and there was no rush to get rid of the ball.  It was also early in the game and the first drive we just marched down the field.  The way the game was being played at the time Bo was under control with little or no pressure on him.  This is when you try to establish how the rest of the game plays out.  The offense was setting the tone and UGA’s defense was playing catchup.  This is when you take advantage of that.

These two plays could have set the tone for the rest of the game.  We will never know.  I’m not bashing Bo.  Just pointing out how it could have been better.  What is going on in Bo’s head is how we play, like it or not.  Yes, the pass pro has to be better, but if Bo can torch some defenses without scrambling it may help the OL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Havne't seen this one.  Damn.

44 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

if Bo can torch some defenses without scrambling it may help the OL.

Not sure he has the accuracy or the receivers to really torch a team in the passing game. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong in a few upcoming games.

Edited by oracle79
spelling
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Not sure he has the accuracy or the receivers to really torch a team in the passing game. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong in a few upcoming games.

I think he means stepping into the pocket and then running for big gains or designed QB runs to slow the pass rush. I may be wrong though.

• Thanks 1

@RunInRedthere's plays like this in every game at every level. These plays have been beaten to death by AU fans across the internet. I guess it's nice to think what could have been, but we lost that game at the LOS. 

BTW, Bo made the correct read on both plays you highlighted and both should have been caught. Is what it is.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Both of these plays the pass pro was good and there was no rush to get rid of the ball.  It was also early in the game and the first drive we just marched down the field.  The way the game was being played at the time Bo was under control with little or no pressure on him.  This is when you try to establish how the rest of the game plays out.  The offense was setting the tone and UGA’s defense was playing catchup.  This is when you take advantage of that.

These two plays could have set the tone for the rest of the game.  We will never know.  I’m not bashing Bo.  Just pointing out how it could have been better.  What is going on in Bo’s head is how we play, like it or not.  Yes, the pass pro has to be better, but if Bo can torch some defenses without scrambling it may help the OL.

My point is that, after three years, Bo has a clock in his head set by his past OL's, and this one as well. He knows the overwhelming majority of the time he won't have time to make more than one read, maybe two on a good down. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

BTW, Bo made the correct read on both plays you highlighted and both should have been caught. Is what it is.

I agree on the throw to Shivers about him making the read on the play design, but you can't convince me Mike Bobo and Coach Harsin have the RZ play being a designed presnap read only. No way. Bo missed that one.

Edited by Tigerpro2a
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Havne't seen this one.  Damn.

that's seems like an odd pattern by #47. usually the receiver is turned to the outside so the throw is opposite the defender.  Bo leaning backwards caused the ball to float.

cut the route short at the GL and turn to the sideline would have been an easier throw for Bo.  i.e. receiver moving side to side as opposed to vertical

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed

So no one even addresses that Shenker was covered by the safety until Bo was clear where he was throwing the ball?  Oddly convenient. The safety was moving toward Shenker until Bo went into throwing motion and had Bo looked that way he would have been covered by the time he threw it. 

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I agree on the throw to Shivers about him making the read on the play design, but you can't convince me Mike Bobo and Coach Harsin have the RZ play being a designed presnap read only. No way. Bo missed that one.

I didn't say pre-snap. It was a levels concept and you read it high to low meaning that JSS was the primary target. He's open. That's the correct read. 

Guest MustardSeed
8 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Was quez open?  Sure. But Shenker was open in the end zone and is our best pass catcher.  The read was spot on here, the throw was off target. The missed opportunity wasn’t Quez, it was ball placement. 

Guest MustardSeed
2 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I didn't say pre-snap. It was a levels concept and you read it high to low meaning that JSS was the primary target. He's open. That's the correct read. 

Exactly. When your primary target is open you don’t get to you 3rd/4th read on the opposite side of the field. You throw it to the primary. This analysis could literally be done to every QB ever and be twisted to show how terrible they are by missing the 4th read when throwing it to the 1st as they were supposed to was the right read to start with. 

The other play I remarked to was the pass that Sheckner dropped was into traffic. I agree Sheck needs to catch that but go back and look at the play and about 10 feet behind him is Hunter running wide open. Bo could have lobed Hunter the ball and he could have followed Sheck into the end zone. Bo was looking right at him and never saw him. You just can’t miss seeing that as a QB. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

. Sorry didn't mean to imply presnap only on that one. Still had part of the first play in my head. On that one, both guys right there I just don't understand how you don't see that as a QB and make the easy throw. I get what you are saying, though.