2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

JLee says that we are out of it, again, with TJ Parker. We had supposedly crawled back in it, but he is offended that we only attended one of his spring practices

8 hours ago, au302 said:

JLee says that we are out of it, again, with TJ Parker. We had supposedly crawled back in it, but he is offended that we only attended one of his spring practices

Top 100 DL from far away Phenix City.   Can’t blame him for being offended.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1auburn1 said:

Yea he's the one guy we've seemed to really shoot ourselves in the head with during the winter months. Part of me is starting to think he may be a prima donna, but I also understand that we screwed this recruitment up

22 hours ago, au302 said:

kids these days....

14 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

IF other rival schools visited his HS practices way more than Auburn did and they’re just right down the road from him then I can’t blame him either. 

• Like 3

If he is basing his college choice on who comes to his practice, oh heavens what ever will he do if a coach raises his voice to him at practice, or his coffee is cold at the multimillion dollar football complex we built for him.  

Respect goes both ways, apparently something this child hasnt learned.  

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Sizzle said:

While it is interesting to see these numbers, many of us never doubted that it would come to something like this. There were deniers who said recruiting wouldn't turn into a bidding war with the rich getting richer. They were wrong.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

While it is interesting to see these numbers, many of us never doubted that it would come to something like this. There were deniers who said recruiting wouldn't turn into a bidding war with the rich getting richer. They were wrong.

Something we can agree on!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

It’s definitely a bidding war and Auburn clearly ain’t bidding high enough because they’ve struggled recruiting pass rushers and OT’s for years

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

We are on the verge of (as Mikey said) the rich getting richer.  Back in 1965 Major League Baseball began the MLB Draft because the rich (Yankees, Dodgers) were buying the best players and were dominating baseball.  The lesser teams simply could not compete on a regular basis.  College football is headed in this direction.  Financially the Auburn's of the world cannot compete with the bamas, Ohio States, Michigans, LSU's, Georgias of the world.  Not that we don't have wealthy alumni but we have conservative alumni who love their school more than they love winning in sports.  Many would rather donate to the school of business, engineering, agriculture etc. rather than spend their $$ towards an 18 year old prima donna in football.  I'm afraid of what the future holds for us in this new age of college sports.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, tinman1 said:

We are on the verge of (as Mikey said) the rich getting richer.  Back in 1965 Major League Baseball began the MLB Draft because the rich (Yankees, Dodgers) were buying the best players and were dominating baseball.  The lesser teams simply could not compete on a regular basis.  College football is headed in this direction.  Financially the Auburn's of the world cannot compete with the bamas, Ohio States, Michigans, LSU's, Georgias of the world.  Not that we don't have wealthy alumni but we have conservative alumni who love their school more than they love winning in sports.  Many would rather donate to the school of business, engineering, agriculture etc. rather than spend their $$ towards an 18 year old prima donna in football.  I'm afraid of what the future holds for us in this new age of college sports.

You guys will be entertained and still watch regardless of this “bidding war.” We don’t complain when we see bidding wars between media outlets such as ESPN or bidding wars between sports apparel companies like Nike or UA. The narrative has changed quite a bit and it was a false a narrative. The true narrative was the allegation that folks would quit watching college football because it was “paid professions” yet those same folks are still posting everyday. Who would’ve thought?

In terms of the parity of baseball, there is still no salary cap and going back to 2000 based on a 2019 article review, the highest spending team won it 3 times in a 19 year period. In fact this same article had shown that a team ranked 10th or lower in payroll won it all about half the time. You cannot compare that to college football where 90 percent of the time , the team with the most talent will win it all. The exception being if there is a generational talent on the roster (see cam newton). People are just caught in the moment because where Auburn is at. If Auburn were pulling a Texas A&M and making Bama sweat, 99 percent of y’all would love this idea. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/world-series-champion-opening-day-payroll-ranks-in-the-wild-card-era/

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

18 hours ago, tinman1 said:

Back in 1965 Major League Baseball began the MLB Draft because the rich (Yankees, Dodgers) were buying the best players and were dominating baseball. 

So, what you’re saying is, they can change the rules, but “the rich” will sooner or later find a way around the rules to continue buying the best players!

Some of the lower profile college sports will be ok because their isn’t as much over-the-top greed going on.    But college football is done.   There’s no coming back from where it’s gone.   

1 hour ago, AUinMS9528 said:

So, what you’re saying is, they can change the rules, but “the rich” will sooner or later find a way around the rules to continue buying the best players!

Some of the lower profile college sports will be ok because their isn’t as much over-the-top greed going on.    But college football is done.   There’s no coming back from where it’s gone.   

Afraid you are correct! I’m like some others on here, I can find something else to do. I love Auburn and Auburn football, but I will not continue watching when we have absolutely no chance to compete with the rich and powerful 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DAG said:

You guys will be entertained and still watch regardless of this “bidding war.” We don’t complain when we see bidding wars between media outlets such as ESPN or bidding wars between sports apparel companies like Nike or UA. The narrative has changed quite a bit and it was a false a narrative. The true narrative was the allegation that folks would quit watching college football because it was “paid professions” yet those same folks are still posting everyday. Who would’ve thought?

In terms of the parity of baseball, there is still no salary cap and going back to 2000 based on a 2019 article review, the highest spending team won it 3 times in a 19 year period. In fact this same article had shown that a team ranked 10th or lower in payroll won it all about half the time. You cannot compare that to college football where 90 percent of the time , the team with the most talent will win it all. The exception being if there is a generational talent on the roster (see cam newton). People are just caught in the moment because where Auburn is at. If Auburn were pulling a Texas A&M and making Bama sweat, 99 percent of y’all would love this idea. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/world-series-champion-opening-day-payroll-ranks-in-the-wild-card-era/

No.  I'll continue to watch Auburn football, as I do with all AU sports.  I love AU that much.   All I'm saying in comparison to MLB prior to the draft, is that the most wealthy teams were at an advantage.  All the draft did, and continues to do, is level the field UNTIL the players become free agents and then they can go to the highest bidder, which they are doing.  With the NIL, the highest bidders will be at an advantage on day 1.  I doubt that I'll be alive to see AU pay a high school (soon to be an unproven freshman) QB  $2 mil as Ryan Day says.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

No.  I'll continue to watch Auburn football, as I do with all AU sports.  I love AU that much.   All I'm saying in comparison to MLB prior to the draft, is that the most wealthy teams were at an advantage.  All the draft did, and continues to do, is level the field UNTIL the players become free agents and then they can go to the highest bidder, which they are doing.  With the NIL, the highest bidders will be at an advantage on day 1.  I doubt that I'll be alive to see AU pay a high school (soon to be an unproven freshman) QB  $2 mil as Ryan Day says.

I am not saying otherwise about you. I’m sure you will stay in watch but there are a couple of posters placing a false narrative out there. Yes the players who are worth it will call their number and rightfully so. Maybe Auburn will step up to the plate but they also keep paying fired coaches too. It’s easy to spend others money. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 11:51 PM, Mikey said:

If he's that much of a prima donna, we'll be better off if he takes his hurt feelings elsewhere.

Typically I would agree but if we are the closest school to him and visit him the least that is a little embarrassing I hate to say.  If I were him and other schools are driving farther to see me and more often, I would not even take Auburn’s calls anymore.

15 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Typically I would agree but if we are the closest school to him and visit him the least that is a little embarrassing I hate to say.  If I were him and other schools are driving farther to see me and more often, I would not even take Auburn’s calls anymore.

I suppose both points can be true. Could it be that AU, for whatever reasons, isn't all that interested?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2022 at 8:19 AM, DAG said:

Point one, I don't care a thing about ESPN or Nike, etc. I do care about AU athletics, so that's a false comparison.

Point two: I said, back about a year ago, that I'd give this thing five years. The five years aren't up yet, but I'll tell you my interest is declining. I don't like the bidding war setup and unless some authority changes this I don't know if in four more years I'll be caring about AU football more than I care about ESPN, which is not at all.

Yes, I'm still posting. No, my five years aren't up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

I suppose both points can be true. Could it be that AU, for whatever reasons, isn't all that interested?

It’s definitely a possibility but who the hell are they interested in? Turning down local top 100 DL recruits in order to get who?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2022 at 11:04 AM, provibe said:

Afraid you are correct! I’m like some others on here, I can find something else to do. I love Auburn and Auburn football, but I will not continue watching when we have absolutely no chance to compete with the rich and powerful 

How have you continued to watch this last decade plus with Alabama winning/competing in the national championship every year?