2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What is this part of the story?

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the Central HS fiasco.

From what I remember, some time around NSD (I can't remember if it was immediately after it) there was a ~one or two week window when in-person coaching visits were permitted, before another in-person dead period began.

All of the schools in this region rushed out as soon as that permitted period began to start visiting the top 2023 prospects. Our staff ended up showing up to Central HS on something like the last allowable day, long after everyone else (Bama, Georgia, etc, etc, etc) had been there.

That alienated and annoyed Parker, English, etc. for good reason. It was a real misstep by Harsin.

Most people don't remember, but Parker actually showed up to something like 3 or 4 home games last season as an unofficial visitor. His interest in Auburn was high. The staff really blew that recruitment, and then had to try scrambling to make up ground and make amends. The same thing happened with English.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Thought UGA dropped him b/c they got who they wanted.  Wasn't sure about Bama.

He seems to get upset & wasn't happy we didn't visit him earlier in the year.  TBQH, I'm not sure we're above only calling a kid once then stopping and acting like that's enough.  It's not like we have too many other T100 kids beating down our doors....especially at EDGE where we need as many as we can get.

Bama/UGA have the luxury of dropping kids that are a little extra

We only want 3-star, blue collar, lunch pail, high character, high motor, gritty, student of the game-team players from great families who do all the little things right. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, metafour said:

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the Central HS fiasco.

From what I remember, some time around NSD (I can't remember if it was immediately after it) there was a ~one or two week window when in-person coaching visits were permitted, before another in-person dead period began.

All of the schools in this region rushed out as soon as that permitted period began to start visiting the top 2023 prospects. Our staff ended up showing up to Central HS on something like the last allowable day, long after everyone else (Bama, Georgia, etc, etc, etc) had been there.

That alienated and annoyed Parker, English, etc. for good reason. It was a real misstep by Harsin.

Most people don't remember, but Parker actually showed up to something like 3 or 4 home games last season as an unofficial visitor. His interest in Auburn was high. The staff really blew that recruitment, and then had to try scrambling to make up ground and make amends. The same thing happened with English.

I didn't realize it happened with English too. I thought they specifically just stopped calling Parker for some odd reason but not English. Just figured that since Parker hated us after that but English has always seemed to have us in good standing with him

25 minutes ago, au302 said:

I didn't realize it happened with English too. I thought they specifically just stopped calling Parker for some odd reason but not English. Just figured that since Parker hated us after that but English has always seemed to have us in good standing with him

Most others think so too.

5 hours ago, cbo said:

We only want 3-star, blue collar, lunch pail, high character, high motor, gritty, student of the game-team players from great families who do all the little things right. 

Take out 3 star and you are right. Those other things matter more than you can realize, plus high academics and team captains. We'll see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Take out 3 star and you are right. Those other things matter more than you can realize, plus high academics and team captains. We'll see.

Except these words have no real meaning. That's the point. How do you objectively measure any of these qualities? They are buzzwords for coaches and fans to use for less talented players. To feel better about missing more talented players, who are just as likely to have the same attributes. 

Let me know if you want to put together an AU all-time academic team vs. my all-time all-athletic team. We can let the board decide who would win head to head. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I thought we were killing it with recruiting for this class, or has the outlook changed that fast for us?

What caused some to think we were killing it is that when the kids leave after their visits, they are saying nice things. Sadly, this indicates nothing. What else are they going to say after three days of being treated like kings?

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, cbo said:

Except these words have no real meaning. That's the point. How do you objectively measure any of these qualities? They are buzzwords for coaches and fans to use for less talented players. To feel better about missing more talented players, who are just as likely to have the same attributes. 

Let me know if you want to put together an AU all-time academic team vs. my all-time all-athletic team. We can let the board decide who would win head to head. 

The criticism has changed from last year.

Last summer Harsin took his "OKG's", blue collar type of players that were 3 stars, overlooked, and all that. Geriner, Fair, Riley-Ducker, Powell Gordon, and Caleb Wooden were all guys he had committed before the season started. He took Geriner especially early, and did not attempt to play long with 5 star Stockton. Fans were furious with that approach.

Now he is doing opposite. Instead of taking guys like Wedin, Geffrard, etc., guys who fit that mold, he is banking on a successful season and playing the long game with higher rated guys like Mcelderry, Hughley, etc. But now we are all impatient and begging for him to take the safe guys that we can get on board now.

It's a lose lose for both him and us fans right now. No matter what, it's all coming down to the season, which we knew

• Like 1

12 hours ago, au302 said:

The criticism has changed from last year.

Last summer Harsin took his "OKG's", blue collar type of players that were 3 stars, overlooked, and all that. Geriner, Fair, Riley-Ducker, Powell Gordon, and Caleb Wooden were all guys he had committed before the season started. He took Geriner especially early, and did not attempt to play long with 5 star Stockton. Fans were furious with that approach.

Now he is doing opposite. Instead of taking guys like Wedin, Geffrard, etc., guys who fit that mold, he is banking on a successful season and playing the long game with higher rated guys like Mcelderry, Hughley, etc. But now we are all impatient and begging for him to take the safe guys that we can get on board now.

It's a lose lose for both him and us fans right now. No matter what, it's all coming down to the season, which we knew

My criticism hasn't changed from last year. I didn't like the recruiting then and I don't like it now. Several people shouted me down for comparing AU's recruiting class early in 2022 to UT, UK, and Missouri. I clearly stated I didn't think we would or should end up anywhere near them in the recruiting rankings.  How did that turn out? Most notably, @metafourcalled me out. 

I think we are overcomplicating the matter. The fact is we need to recruit elite players to compete in the SEC West. We haven't landed a single recruit in the top 100 under Harsin. We did under the last two coaches. 

I don't want to hear about the labor; show me the baby. 

Edited by cbo
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cbo said:

Priceless! I’m using this with my sales team. 😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cbo said:

LOVE IT!  

Edited by JerryAU
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

What caused some to think we were killing it is that when the kids leave after their visits, they are saying nice things. Sadly, this indicates nothing. What else are they going to say after three days of being treated like kings?

^^This AND the 180 turn around effort by all AU beat writers & Auburn's P/R folks blowing up positive news in order to shine a glowing light on the program in the wake of the Fiasco of February.

I've said it for months.... after February CBH opened up to people and he has allowed the media to have details of the staff's recruiting with tons of positivity coming out of the department. Someone at Auburn told him he had to open up more, that he had to appear to be 100% engaged and he had to "sell" himself and Auburn.  It's been a night/day difference relative to the amount of news and information we previously saw from him.  

• Like 3

• Zeek changed the title to 2023 Recruiting Thread [Updated 6/23]
On 10/12/2021 at 10:52 AM, Zeek said:

Quarterback: Need 1

4* Brock Glenn

Running Back: Need 2

4* Jeremiah Cobb

4* Roderick Robinson II - UCLA commit

Wide Receiver: Need 3

4* Karmello English

4* Daquayvious Sorey

4* Khai Prean

3* Ja'Kobi Lane

3* Nakai Poole

3* Lamar Seymore - Miami commit

Tight End: Need 1

4* Jelani Thurman

4* Jackson Bowers

Offensive Tackle: Need 2-3

4* Bo Hughley - UGA commit

4* Stanton Ramil

3* Vysen Lang

3* Gernorris Wilson

3* Naquil Betrand

Inside Offensive Lineman: 1 committed Need 2-3 more

4* Markis Deal

4* DJ Chester

4* Bradyn Joiner - AU commit

3* RyQueze McElderry - UGA commit

3* Connor Stroh

3* Connor Lew

Defensive Line & Edge - taking 6+

5* Qua Russaw

5* James Smith

4* Keldric Faulk

4* Jordan Hall

4* Gabriel Harris

4* Darron Reed

4* Anthony James

4* Daevin Hobbs

4* Rueben Bain

4* Jamarious Brown

4* Tausili Akana

4* Rico Walker

4* Wilky Denaud

4* Ashley Williams

3* Joshua Horton

Linebacker: Need 2-3

4* Troy Bowles

4* Jaiden Ausberry

4* Lewis Carter

4* CJ Allen - UGA commit

4* Stanquan Clark

3* Phil Picciotti

3* Marcellius Pulliam

3* Eric Muse

JuCo Justin Jefferson

Cornerback: Need 2

4* Ethan Nation

3* Ja'Keem Jackson

3* Dale Miller

NR Jacorious Hart

Safety: Need 2

4* Terrance Love - AU commit

4* DaKaari Nelson

Kicker & Punter: None this year

Zeek's thoughts:

• QB - It starts and ends with Brock Glenn who is supposedly going to make his decision public before July. This comes down to Auburn and Ohio State. The Buckeyes are a real threat but view Glenn as their second option behind the Baylor commit. We will see how this shakes out; my guess is Auburn still lands his signature.
  • RB - Jeremiah Cobb has been our favorite almost the entire cycle. Word is coach Caddy lights up when he talks about Cobb and his abilities. The staff will take two running backs but the Auburn beat has admitted they have no idea who that next guy might be in the end. We are still kicking the tires on Roderick Robinson II who committed to UCLA earlier in the process.
  • WR - Karmello English and Khai Prean are Auburn's to lose. They would fill two spots on the depth chart with Auburn still hunting for a big bodied target to close out the class. There are some names floating around but nothing certain yet. Until we see some guys take a visit to Auburn we will be in limbo here.
  • TE - starts and ends with Jelani Thurman. Reportedly he only gave his Alabama visit an 8/10 and Michigan State hasn't shown him the basketball attention he would like. Unlike Tre Donaldson, Thurman WILL attempt to play both and won't be deterred. Bruce is playing his part in this and trying to help us land this target.
  • OT - Ramil is going to be a hard pull but i's so crucial for the staff to win this battle. Hughley is one I think we land if we look good in our first four to five games and if his teammates are heading this way as well. DJ Chester is viewed as a swing prospect who can play inside or out. Other than those three things are somewhat unknown at the tackle position.
  • IOL - Bradyn Joiner is on board and McElderry seems to be trending our way. The staff also loves Lew and made up huge ground this weekend on the prospect; don't let Lew's 3* rating fool you the teams fighting for him are Clemson, UGA, and Miami. He is no joke by any means.
  • DL & ER - I like where we are at with Faulk, Harris, James, Bain, Denaud, and Horton. Not saying we land them but we're in a great position. Some of these guys need to see growth and results before we'll be able to land a commitment. I think we have an outside shot with Russaw if things go well.
  • LB - Ausberry, Carter, Allen, Clark, Picciotti, and Jefferson are all takes for Auburn. The goal is to take three out of that group if possible. Some need to see results but Carter and Picciotti are two guys I think we might be able to close on before the season.
  • CB - we want two and those two are Hart and Jackson. They aren't highly rated but are both blowing up right now with offers from almost every single SEC team. These two are long, smart, physical, and fast players that Etheridge really likes. Tennessee leads for Jackson though and Hart is going from zero attention to all of it so he will likely utilize his visits and enjoy the new rush of suitors before committing.
  • S - Terrance Love is a monster and doesn't get enough love. Nelson is trending towards Penn State. I really don't know who else we could possibly get here. I think all of the young transfers we brought in have made the need here a lot lower. We will see.

Update. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Whew! Manning chose Texas over Georgia and Bama.  Maybe he'll be gone before they join SEC lol

• Like 2

4-star pass rusher Keldric Faulk sets commitment date

four-star-edge-keldric-faulk-previews-his-four-summer-official-visits Photo by Jeremy Johnson/On3

Could Auburn be close to landing an elite edge rusher?

Four-star target Keldric Faulk of Highland Home (Ala.), a priority recruit for coach Bryan Harsin’s staff, told Auburn Live on Thursday he plans to announce his commitment July 5.

The Tigers are trending for Faulk at this time

Faulk, listed at 6-foot-6 and 243 pounds, is the No. 9 prospect in Alabama and No. 63 overall player nationally for the On3 Consensus. At this time, the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine projects him to Auburn (81.5 percent) with Florida State next at 7.1 percent.

Faulk officially visited the Tigers on June 10-12.

“It was great. I had a really great time, which I expected to,” he said. “I liked sitting in the offense, knowing the scheme, what I would play and how I would fit in.”

Faulk spent lots of time with Auburn edge coach Roc Bellantoni during the visit. The two have developed a strong bond throughout Faulk’s recruitment.

“He’s a real great guy,” Faulk said. “He’s one of my favorite coaches.”

Faulk said recently he would return to Auburn in July

At the time, Faulk said he would return to Auburn for Big Cat Weekend. Should that hold true, the recruiting event takes place three weeks after his commitment date.

Faulk also has made official visits to Clemson and Florida. This weekend, he will travel to FSU.

Some insiders think this is an Auburn-FSU battle. At last check, our intel suggested the Tigers were the team to beat.

Faulk is an elite edge rusher in the 2023 class

Here is Faulk’s On3 scouting summary: Developmental jumbo athlete with the size and tools to develop into a disruptive pass rusher. Has a big frame, measuring at over 6-foot-5 and around 245 pounds with a 81-inch wing-span prior to his junior season. A coordinated, fluid athlete who plays on both sides of the ball as a pass rusher and receiver for his high school. Shows a burgeoning skill set as a pass rusher off the edge. Has quickness and shows the ability to win with his hands despite lacking technical polish. Also flashes athleticism as a pass catcher with the speed to pull away from defensive backs in the open field. Will need to continue developing both physically and technically. Has plenty of room to add muscle as he is relatively undeveloped in terms of muscle mass. Plays a lower level of competition at the high school level and may need time to adjust to the uptick in competition once in college. Younger for the cycle, not turning 17-years-old until his senior season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Faulk would be such a huge get at a position of need.  Isn't his brother a beast too?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Faulk would be such a huge get at a position of need.  Isn't his brother a beast too?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toddc said:

4-star pass rusher Keldric Faulk sets commitment date

four-star-edge-keldric-faulk-previews-his-four-summer-official-visits Photo by Jeremy Johnson/On3

Could Auburn be close to landing an elite edge rusher?

Four-star target Keldric Faulk of Highland Home (Ala.), a priority recruit for coach Bryan Harsin’s staff, told Auburn Live on Thursday he plans to announce his commitment July 5.

The Tigers are trending for Faulk at this time

Faulk, listed at 6-foot-6 and 243 pounds, is the No. 9 prospect in Alabama and No. 63 overall player nationally for the On3 Consensus. At this time, the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine projects him to Auburn (81.5 percent) with Florida State next at 7.1 percent.

Faulk officially visited the Tigers on June 10-12.

“It was great. I had a really great time, which I expected to,” he said. “I liked sitting in the offense, knowing the scheme, what I would play and how I would fit in.”

Faulk spent lots of time with Auburn edge coach Roc Bellantoni during the visit. The two have developed a strong bond throughout Faulk’s recruitment.

“He’s a real great guy,” Faulk said. “He’s one of my favorite coaches.”

Faulk said recently he would return to Auburn in July

At the time, Faulk said he would return to Auburn for Big Cat Weekend. Should that hold true, the recruiting event takes place three weeks after his commitment date.

Faulk also has made official visits to Clemson and Florida. This weekend, he will travel to FSU.

Some insiders think this is an Auburn-FSU battle. At last check, our intel suggested the Tigers were the team to beat.

Faulk is an elite edge rusher in the 2023 class

Here is Faulk’s On3 scouting summary: Developmental jumbo athlete with the size and tools to develop into a disruptive pass rusher. Has a big frame, measuring at over 6-foot-5 and around 245 pounds with a 81-inch wing-span prior to his junior season. A coordinated, fluid athlete who plays on both sides of the ball as a pass rusher and receiver for his high school. Shows a burgeoning skill set as a pass rusher off the edge. Has quickness and shows the ability to win with his hands despite lacking technical polish. Also flashes athleticism as a pass catcher with the speed to pull away from defensive backs in the open field. Will need to continue developing both physically and technically. Has plenty of room to add muscle as he is relatively undeveloped in terms of muscle mass. Plays a lower level of competition at the high school level and may need time to adjust to the uptick in competition once in college. Younger for the cycle, not turning 17-years-old until his senior season.

If it’s down to us and FSU then I feel confident in us beating them. Now if it was us and Clemson then I’d be nervous. I expect Faulk to commit to us and hopefully that gets the ball rolling

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Whew! Manning chose Texas over Georgia and Bama.  Maybe he'll be gone before they join SEC lol

Manning may go away, but the deep pockets of the Texas oil men won't go away. They can out bid just about anybody. Not saying that's the only reason Manning chose to go to Austin but to think money didn't play a large part in his choice is not being realistic.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Manning may go away, but the deep pockets of the Texas oil men won't go away. They can out bid just about anybody. Not saying that's the only reason Manning chose to go to Austin but to think money didn't play a large part in his choice is not being realistic.

Oh I know.  But these Mannings are generational type of talents.  Still better than our rivals getting them lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zeek said:

Update. 

If list is accurate as of today, it looks like AU is once again not meeting expectations at OT to start catching upper league talent level. AU needs 2 or 3 HS upper level talent OT's and only two are listed with one currently being committed to our rival that just won a NC.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, keywest said:

If list is accurate as of today, it looks like AU is once again not meeting expectations at OT to start catching upper league talent level. AU needs 2 or 3 HS upper level talent OT's and only two are listed with one currently being committed to our rival that just won a NC.

Agreed. You can't count on either Ramil or Hughley. Gotta expand the board. Someone on On3 is saying that an ex AU NFL player told them at a camp last week that there is an OL on the board that we are trying to keep secret. It's just a lot of unknown.

There are also rumors of some secret target at RB that they want to keep quiet. Probably trying to prevent a JC Hart feeding frenzy. We discovered the guy and have been talking to him for a year, word gets out, and now he's blowing up and Twill and Gus and others are trying to nab him. But we probably screwed up by not offering. Can't keep it a secret forever

• Like 2

9 hours ago, keywest said:

Just sharing what I know. Undoubtedly I miss some information and guys that are being targeted. I have posted here a few times I'm not the biggest fan of Will Friend.

• Like 1

Screenshot_20220624-070531_Chrome.jpg

Auburn, and the other SEC teams pursuing him, view Naquil Bertrand as a Nose Tackle. Word is after his Auburn visit a decommitment from Colorado is imminent. Usually a sign we likely lead for now. He is going to take his time before committing anywhere else this time. Likely a signing day announcement. 

• Like 1