2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Just sharing what I know. Undoubtedly I miss some information and guys that are being targeted. I have posted here a few times I'm not the biggest fan of Will Friend.

Zeek, not knocking you or the information. Simply stating it appears AU is once again seriously struggling to attract high quality OT's in an extremely needed position that AU can offer immediate playing time.

Edited by keywest
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Screenshot_20220624-070531_Chrome.jpg

Auburn, and the other SEC teams pursuing him, view Naquil Bertrand as a Nose Tackle. Word is after his Auburn visit a decommitment from Colorado is imminent. Usually a sign we likely lead for now. He is going to take his time before committing anywhere else this time. Likely a signing day announcement. 

This is great news!  Why would be want to be a buffalo when he can be a Tiger?

WDE young man, come to Auburn.:jossun:

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, keywest said:

Zeek, not knocking you or the information. Simply stating it appears AU is once again seriously struggling to attack high quality OT's in an extremely needed position that AU can offer immediate playing time.

High quality olinemen have become a strange enigma for many years for Auburn.  I honestly don't know what it will take to turn this thing around other than pay more NIL $$ to the big ugly's than any other program in the country?  

13 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

High quality olinemen have become a strange enigma for many years for Auburn.  I honestly don't know what it will take to turn this thing around other than pay more NIL $$ to the big ugly's than any other program in the country?  

It's hard to overcome the narrative being used against AU, when it comes to offensive tackles

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

It's hard to overcome the narrative being used against AU, when it comes to offensive tackles

A program has to be able to put OT's in the NFL or it becomes a readily available knock against the program on the recruiting trail.  

Fingers crossed this staff gets this thing turned around this year. 🤞

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Such a chicken out the egg situation. They don't come here because we have a bad OL track record. But we have a bad OL track record because they won't come here.

The only way to break the cycle is to crush your evaluations on lower rated guys and develop them really well. That and help a transfer or juco guy get drafted. It's all about producing to the NFL. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

At this point it’s not even about high quality OL. We struggle to get any OL at all. We got 1 OL signee in the last class. I don’t even see how that’s possible at a place like Auburn 

• Like 7

Anthony James now isn't a take for Auburn. Sounds like Texas A&M may have dropped him and his other two schools are Washington and Utah. I have no idea what teams are starting to see but his evaluations are dropping. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Such a chicken out the egg situation. They don't come here because we have a bad OL track record. But we have a bad OL track record because they won't come here.

The only way to break the cycle is to crush your evaluations on lower rated guys and develop them really well. That and help a transfer or juco guy get drafted. It's all about producing to the NFL. 

Agreed. For several years AU recruits this year to address next year. Top recruiting schools were recruiting next years needs 2-3 years ago. It’s the difference in a tactical ‘here and now’ approach versus a strategic ‘long term vision’ approach. 

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Anthony James now isn't a take for Auburn. Sounds like Texas A&M may have dropped him and his other two schools are Washington and Utah. I have no idea what teams are starting to see but his evaluations are dropping. 

I mean, this was obvious from day one.

Texas kid "decommits" from A&M. Then his Top 2 are Washington and Utah LOL.

The fact that he was billed as some sort of replacement for all the DL we are missing on is the issue. 

Edited by metafour
  • Like 1

O-Line recruiting in 2023 especially OT has to find solid players with  height, wingspan, frame  and athleticism that can be developed over a couple of years as there are very few HS players who can come in an start 1st year.  That means we need at least 2 of our current younger players to develop into starters with ideally one more a developing as a depth piece. Plus we need at least one Starter in Portal plus a depth piece if we can do that we will have started to turn the corner on L-line recruiting.

In addition we need younger guys to step up in the interior O-Line plus maybe a Portal interior.

The Younger OT's that need to develop this year are:

Garner Langlo

Colby Smith

EJ Harris

To be honest I was hoping Smith or Langlo would step up and become starters this year. Maybe one will by end of fall camp or during the season. Both have the height, wingspan, frame and mass required I don't know how much their technique has improved. Harris will hopefully be ready next year at least as a backup.

If none of these 3 are ready to be legitimate SEC OT's next year we will be in a really bad spot as the Portal recently hasn't done much for us especially at OT.

49 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

O-Line recruiting in 2023 especially OT has to find solid players with  height, wingspan, frame  and athleticism that can be developed over a couple of years as there are very few HS players who can come in an start 1st year.  That means we need at least 2 of our current younger players to develop into starters with ideally one more a developing as a depth piece. Plus we need at least one Starter in Portal plus a depth piece if we can do that we will have started to turn the corner on L-line recruiting.

In addition we need younger guys to step up in the interior O-Line plus maybe a Portal interior.

The Younger OT's that need to develop this year are:

Garner Langlo

Colby Smith

EJ Harris

To be honest I was hoping Smith or Langlo would step up and become starters this year. Maybe one will by end of fall camp or during the season. Both have the height, wingspan, frame and mass required I don't know how much their technique has improved. Harris will hopefully be ready next year at least as a backup.

If none of these 3 are ready to be legitimate SEC OT's next year we will be in a really bad spot as the Portal recently hasn't done much for us especially at OT.

I think Harris has the potential to be good. No disrespect but The other guys are probably just bodies. I don’t think they’ll be anything but journeymen but hopefully I’m wrong

It should be noted that because O-Line is such a developmental position, the number of highly rated players is much fewer than that of other positions.

And honestly, we're close to being in a position where we just need warm bodies at OL.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

It should be noted that because O-Line is such a developmental position, the number of highly rated players is much fewer than that of other positions.

And honestly, we're close to being in a position where we just need warm bodies at OL.

I agree with this. Maybe we need to hire the O line coaches at UH, Northwestern, UCF, and Minnesota. Those schools don’t have an o-lineman we would’ve recruited but did just fine vs our d lines. 

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree with this. Maybe we need to hire the O line coaches at UH, Northwestern, UCF, and Minnesota. Those schools don’t have an o-lineman we would’ve recruited but did just fine vs our d lines. 

Maybe we should try to get UT Chattanooga OL coach. He put a OL in the first round in this years draft and we have trouble putting OL in the draft at all

• Like 1

2 hours ago, metafour said:

I mean, this was obvious from day one.

Texas kid "decommits" from A&M. Then his Top 2 are Washington and Utah LOL.

The fact that he was billed as some sort of replacement for all the DL we are missing on is the issue. 

At a glance it was a A&M decommit with a 4* rating. But yes when looking at what you mentioned it does become clear. I saw where Lee implied his ranking is about to plummet as well.

Still, I liked his film and obviously so did some other big teams at one point. I wonder what's new or changed.

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

I think Harris has the potential to be good. No disrespect but The other guys are probably just bodies. I don’t think they’ll be anything but journeymen but hopefully I’m wrong

When we added Smith to our class. There were people who thought he was underrated and might even be a possible 1st year starter whereas as Langlo was not rated as high and many thought was more of an Interior lineman. During Spring ball I never heard much about Smith which makes me think you could be right that he is just a journeyman type but I actually heard some people saying Langlo was really coming on.  

I don't have insider sources just reading posts here and on other boards. If what I heard is true that Langlo has come on and what you say about Harris we might have two OT's with Smith as a backup. You could be right that neither Smith or Langlo will make the leap but both in HS were Athletic enough to develop and they both have close to ideal size for OT's.

Many O-Linemen take 2-3 years to get to where they can be SEC type starters for Smith and Langlo this is second year we just need to see how they develop from now to next year. Either way we need at least 1 if not 2 SEC ready OT's from Portal for next year.

• Like 2

The reality is starting to set in on Brock Glenn too, unfortunately.

Like I said, all this noise of perceived "good news coming" and "momentum" was the daintiest breeze imaginable.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2

Just now, metafour said:

Like I said, all this noise of perceived "good news coming" and "momentum" was the daintiest breeze imaginable.

Yup. Time for a new quarterback target. Going to be slim pickings this late in the process. 

1 hour ago, metafour said:

But at least we have that blue-collar, lunch pail, tough as nails mentality!

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Yup. Time for a new quarterback target. Going to be slim pickings this late in the process. 

Does Sawyer Pate have a kid brother?

20 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I don’t think Glenn starts a game at tOSU….see him in the portal after a few years …

I don’t think he does either. Personally I don’t think he’s that good and I’ve been saying that but if OSU is calling then maybe he’s better than we think

14 minutes ago, dilligas said:

So did Brock Glenn commit to Ohio State?  Haven’t seen it reported.

Zeek said in another thread it was FSU now.