2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

For whatever it's worth, I just got off with my main contact, and he thinks we get McElderry as well as possibly Hughley, the big tackle committed to UGA right now. I know WDE hinted at both of them being flippable, but this is the first I've heard Hughley's name on my end.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

For whatever it's worth, I just got off with my main contact, and he thinks we get McElderry as well as possibly Hughley, the big tackle committed to UGA right now. I know WDE hinted at both of them being flippable, but this is the first I've heard Hughley's name on my end.

Hope so

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Funny how quickly it went from "look how awesome it's going, all these guys are visiting" to "man all the negatively is the problem" as soon as guys started committing 

The fan sites(ok it was on3) created a world of make believe recruiting momentum that never existed. Now theyre trying to find someone or something to blame when the results are becoming clear.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CR said:

The fan sites(ok it was on3) created a world of make believe recruiting momentum that never existed. Now theyre trying to find someone or something to blame when the results are becoming clear.

Yeah. On3 had plenty of absurd hype.

It's funny I just joined that board for a $1, and it's wildly negative. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah. On3 had plenty of absurd hype.

It's funny I just joined that board for a $1, and it's wildly negative. 

Maybe that’s telling? I don’t know 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, toddc said:

Maybe that’s telling? I don’t know 🤷‍♂️ 

I'm sure it is. They are trying to build a subscription base.

But was more comparing their hype from mods juxtaposed to the message boards 

Anybody know thw committing schedule for next few days? I thought I read thete would be 2-3 players committing in next few days but can’t find the post.

43 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Anybody know thw committing schedule for next few days? I thought I read thete would be 2-3 players committing in next few days but can’t find the post.

This from Zeek's post: https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/182350-three-announcements-over-the-next-week/

"

4* RB Jeremiah Cobb - Friday, July 1st

4* WR Karmello English - Saturday, July 2nd

4* ER Keldric Faulk - Tuesday, July 5th"

Cobb to Auburn, English has delayed his decision and that leaves Faulk for tomorrow.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

There’s a few this week I think.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

This from Zeek's post: https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/182350-three-announcements-over-the-next-week/

"

4* RB Jeremiah Cobb - Friday, July 1st

4* WR Karmello English - Saturday, July 2nd

4* ER Keldric Faulk - Tuesday, July 5th"

Cobb to Auburn, English has delayed his decision and that leaves Faulk for tomorrow.

Thx Mikey

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 5:31 PM, Rednilla said:

McElderry commited to Bama. We are really struggling recruiting lineman on both sides of the ball.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CR said:

McElderry commited to Bama. 

It's not over yet... but admittedly, that's a bit of a gutshot.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

It's not over yet... but admittedly, that's a bit of a gutshot.

Ah yes. Now we can say we flipped a Bama prospect instead of a Georgia one 😈

Posters go from one extreme to the other. A while back it looked like we were locked in on Cobb, English, Faulk, and Glenn and many posters thought we had turned the corner. Then two changed the date for committing and some assumed that meant we were out for English and Glenn and the site seemed to melt down.  Well Cobb committed and even though he waited so did English.  Now another player who was committed to UGA that we never had McElderry leaves UGA and commits to bama. Again a meltdown over a player we never had. 

Today maybe we get Faulk (I hope we do) and maybe not and later same thing with Brock.  Recruiting is a long process I believe we have a chance of a very solid class but only if the product on the field is very solid.  I want a top ten class but to be honest I don't think we will do much better that top 15 even with a good season on the field as we might lose some players who were leaning Auburn but wouldn't wait to see what type season we have.  So best scenario is top 15 and fill in holes in the Portal. Worst case scenario bad season on the field bad class and Harsin is gone or he stays for one more year as a lame duck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just looking at overall recruiting rankings in the SEC and while Auburn is last I was surprised to see TaMu only one ahead of Auburn.  With all that oil money I'd thought they'd already be at 25 5*s.  Ole Miss in the same boat but they seem to struggle as much as Auburn when it comes to recruiting lately.  Something to keep in mind when everyone wants to jump on the Lane train.  If Harsin is gets canned Auburn will need a master recruiter to come in and rebuild the mess that will be left.

SEC Recruiting Update  - I pulled this from 247 - Normally I would emphasize recruit rating where Auburn is #4 in SEC but with only having 4 recruits it is to small a number to really base anything on yet. A&M and Ole Miss in same boat good average rating but small number of recruits.

Team       Points         Recruit Rating     Number commits

ARK         227.57        88.87                   20

GA          222.66        92.47                   12

Tenn      213.06         89.62                   14

LSU       201.39          91.80                    11

bama     193.87          94.07                     9

SC          177.95           88.32                   12

FL           160.47           90.06                    9

Vandy     126.44          85.84                     9

KY           122.01           86.74                     8

Miss St.   118.21            86.23                    8

Missouri  101.06           86.23                     8

A&M         100.49          90.64                     5

Ole Miss   98.71             90.40                   5

Auburn      84.82            91.63                    4

Edited by AuburnNTexas

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

I was just looking at overall recruiting rankings in the SEC and while Auburn is last I was surprised to see TaMu only one ahead of Auburn.  With all that oil money I'd thought they'd already be at 25 5*s.  Ole Miss in the same boat but they seem to struggle as much as Auburn when it comes to recruiting lately.  Something to keep in mind when everyone wants to jump on the Lane train.  If Harsin is gets canned Auburn will need a master recruiter to come in and rebuild the mess that will be left.

Yes, but.....Kiffin also brought in the #2 transfer class in the country, #1 in the SEC. Apply that to Ole' Miss recruiting and you get a much brighter picture for them.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Nah, they recruit the hell out of the portal and filled a bunch of holes.

I've come to the sobering realization that this staff is not going to take backup targets this summer. I was hoping we'd find a second hidden gem bruiser RB, or go after a raw WR with high upside. Figured we'd fall back and take a developmental QB in Kaden Weisman. Nope, they refuse to give in.

They are going to play the long game and try to flip guys like Rod Robinson the RB, Keyon Brown the WR, and possibly JJ Kohl the QB committed to ISU. Plus all the defensive guys we'll try and flip starting with Faulk.

Personally I'm not a fan of this at all. On one hand I get it because guys like Geffrard and Avery Stuart aren't closing our talent gap with our rivals. On the other hand I know damn well we can't flip this many guys. Not even close.

We are going to have to find some scouting targets this fall. Guys like Enyce Sledge who we found late last year. Like I've said before, this staff has more balls than any I've seen. They're arrogant and likely really stupid, but also got balls. They do not panic and stay true to their boards at all costs.

So get ready for fall camp guys, because all I see for the next month is stories about guys committing elsewhere and us holding firm to play the long game. It is what it is.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, au302 said:

Personally I'm not a fan of this at all. On one hand I get it because guys like Geffrard and Avery Stuart aren't closing our talent gap with our rivals. On the other hand I know damn well we can't flip this many guys. Not even close.

It's harder to understand because the annual signee limits are not in effect, we can sign as many as the 85 limit will allow and with all the seniors on the team, we'll have plenty of slots. We could take the backup plan commits and still go for the late guys and flips. We have enough room to do both.

• Like 3