2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

2 hours ago, aucom96 said:

This isn't a slam dunk. He coached an already established program who dominated a weak conference. That doesn't count for much in the SEC. He has to prove himself here, and so far it hasn't been promising. He had a losing first season and his staff blew up. This year is going to be his best chance to prove his on the field abilities and not much has changed from last season in the talent pool. 

True but I am going off the verbiage everyone has said including departing players but you are right . He will have to prove this in the SEC with Auburn. So I can see why we need to yield results after a 6-7 record in order to make that claim. 

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

It’s a lot easier to fathom him winning 8 or 9 games this year than him recruiting the way he needs to for us to compete for championships which is the goal. If you need to win on the field to recruit better you already lost and just aren’t the necessary kind of head coach AU needs In the cutthroat recruiting environment of the sec. If yon aren’t a good recruiting head coach you better have assistants who are. We only have a couple of good recruiters on staff. It’s clear he’s not getting nil help. Recruiting is not going to turn around. 

Yeah you’re either good at recruiting or you’re not. Mario Cristobal done pulled in multiple 5 stars already and he ain’t coached a game yet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is what people said about last class. Kicked the can down the road until the 2023 class. Now the 2024 class is the saving grace? Let’s just face it. This staff can’t recruit. That’s just the reality of the situation.

“Just wait til next year”.    Every losers motto!

The reality is, we suck.   And we will continue to suck for at least a few years.   CBH and Co, I believe are good coaches and they will do well in the future.   It just didn’t work out at AU.   There’s plenty of blame to go around (CBH, ADAG, Gus, BOT, etc.).    
All we can do at this point is be patient and see what happens in the next few years OR give up on the circus that is CF now, and focus on basketball, baseball, gymnastics, and equestrian.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

Peter Woods to Clemson. Guess who one of his recruiters was?

We are getting absolutely worked on the trail for instate kids.   2023 is going to be rough when we roll out these 3* kids and get crushed by Arkansas and Ole Miss.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

We are getting absolutely worked on the trail for instate kids.   2023 is going to be rough when we roll out these 3* kids and get crushed by Arkansas and Ole Miss.   

AU is absolutely getting killed on the recruiting trail. Again, their are 7 highly nationally ranked DL in the state of Alabama, Auburn may not sign ONE! If AU drops the PSU game (minor bowl at best in this scenario), I will be shocked if Harsin finishes the year coupled with the poor recruiting class. It's clear AU is now looking at plan "B" or "C" OT's. I really hoped Harsin was the disciplinarian and consistent coach AU needed but I don't think he has ever really gained traction from the booster undermining! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, keywest said:

AU is absolutely getting killed on the recruiting trail. Again, their are 7 highly nationally ranked DL in the state of Alabama, Auburn may not sign ONE! If AU drops the PSU game (minor bowl at best in this scenario), I will be shocked if Harsin finishes the year coupled with the poor recruiting class. It's clear AU is now looking at plan "B" or "C" OT's. I really hoped Harsin was the disciplinarian and consistent coach AU needed but I don't think he has ever really gained traction from the booster undermining! 

He shouldn't last the year.  Lanning just landed a 5* QB at Oregon.   He has all the same excuses Harsin has yet is producing.   

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, keywest said:

Harsin hasnt had traction since hes been here. Its not like these issues just started after the investigation. Mason and Eason helped salvage a decent class but they couldnt get out of town fast enough. DL recruiting is approaching the train wreck level that is our OL recruiting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, AUCE05 said:

He shouldn't last the year.  Lanning just landed a 5* QB at Oregon.   He has all the same excuses Harsin has yet is producing.   

Bet Oregon has the NIL too.

11 hours ago, AUCE05 said:

this. Recruiting is terrible . Especially in the spots that help you win championships. The OL and DL. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Bet Oregon has the NIL too.

Auburn doesn't? Really, I see this excuse over and over but does anyone really know how much NIL money AU has? How much is available?

It's been said that Tank was kept at AU with a very good NIL deal. Can we afford only one player, or is it that if AU and some other school are offering the same $, the kids are choosing the other guys?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, milehighfan said:

For all thot who thought we sucked last year, just wait until this season. It's going to be uggggggly!!!. I mean real ugly.

I don’t personally think we will be that bad this year. 7-8 wins. I’m pretty worried about the future though. The LOS recruiting has been really bad, and they’d have to have a record type portal season to catch up. I’m extremely disappointed in the lack of damage they’ve done with these in state guys. My thought process going into the off-season was “they may not be great recruiters, but at least they have a plethora of in state guys this year”. But it doesn’t appear to matter. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don’t personally think we will be that bad this year. 7-8 wins. I’m pretty worried about the future though. The LOS recruiting has been really bad, and they’d have to have a record type portal season to catch up. I’m extremely disappointed in the lack of damage they’ve done with these in state guys. My thought process going into the off-season was “they may not be great recruiters, but at least they have a plethora of in state guys this year”. But it doesn’t appear to matter. 

Yeah I could easily see our senior leadership eeking out a record just good enough to get him a third year. I do not see him surviving past 2023, however.

Edited by AUwent

I was more excited before the season started last year than at anytime in recent memory. I had an optimism about Harsin and up until the Miss St game I was still hopeful. Based on the recruiting updates thus far and keeping in mind the collapse of last season, I just don't have a good feeling at all. The state of Auburn football has me realizing that in my later years there are just more important things to focus on. I will always love Auburn but I've never been so emotionally distanced from the Tigers football team as I am now. I hope CBH can get this thing going but he's got to sell himself before he can sell Auburn. It shouldn't be that way but unfortunately that's what's become of us in my opinion. 

• Like 4

I was excited about this year before everybody left. We were set up to have an absolutely awesome defense.....too bad we went all screw the players and all of that.

I can't emphasise enough though how funny it is the main people crying about recruiting are the main people that laughed and didn't care about and stood up for the coaches don't have to care about players stuff. 

That's so damn backwards and stupid

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I was excited about this year before everybody left. We were set up to have an absolutely awesome defense.....too bad we went all screw the players and all of that.

I can't emphasise enough though how funny it is the main people crying about recruiting are the main people that laughed and didn't care about and stood up for the coaches don't have to care about players stuff. 

Who, on this website, has said that coaches don’t have to care for players? I keep seeing you post this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Auburn is in “show me mode”. Coach Harsin and his crew are in a new recruiting environment, against some of the best recruiters (clean and dirty) in the nation. Combine that with the epic circus form earlier this year and I can see why kids and their handlers would  have doubts. I personally do not believe the NIL support is there, just like the money was not there to write a check to Harsin for him to leave. He does not have 100% support like Cristobal, Lanning, Beamer, Kiffin, Leach, etc. I would be surprised if anyone else is behind him besides Green and the new president. He has to win with what he’s got in order to get this thing going. With that said the only game Auburn was not competitive in last year was against UGA, and that is up for debate, so the coaching acumen is there. However due to lack of unilateral support Harsin and crew will have to prove it on the field before overall recruiting gets better. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Auburn is in “show me mode”. Coach Harsin and his crew are in a new recruiting environment, against some of the best recruiters (clean and dirty) in the nation. Combine that with the epic circus form earlier this year and I can see why kids and their handlers would  have doubts. I personally do not believe the NIL support is there, just like the money was not there to write a check to Harsin for him to leave. He does not have 100% support like Cristobal, Lanning, Beamer, Kiffin, Leach, etc. I would be surprised if anyone else is behind him besides Green and the new president. He has to win with what he’s got in order to get this thing going. With that said the only game Auburn was not competitive in last year was against UGA, and that is up for debate, so the coaching acumen is there. However due to lack of unilateral support Harsin and crew will have to prove it on the field before overall recruiting gets better. 

It’s crazy how one thing can send a career into chaos. If Bo doesn’t go down, we more than likely at least beat South Carolina, Bama, and Maybe even Houston. And the off season from hell probably doesn’t happen and in turn, recruiting is more stable. College coaching is such an unstable life. I don’t envy the guys who do it at all. But on the other hand, they make an awesome godly amount of money. So you can only feel so bad for them.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We actually had two different takes from players at end of year. Those like Hunter who said coaches did not take care of players and the ones that stated because they thought that Harsin was the type of coach we needed. There is no doubt in my mind that Harsin could have done better relating to players and their families but I also think some not all of the players left because they didn't want a coach who made them accountable. Show up at practice on time, know playbook, etc.

Those that have stayed have bought into his philosophy so it will be interesting to see if we have enough depth and ifhis philosophy has made them into better players.

On the recruiting front we seem to have a lot of players that liked Auburn but committed to another team or are still on the fence but leaning towards another team. This could be for any of three reason or a combination of 2 or 3 of the reasons. One coaches on the whole just are not good recruiters, two the debacle in February has scared players of as they are not sure coaches will be back, three while we have done solid on NIL for Tank on the whole other teams are beating us there.

At this point it doesn't matter whether it is all on the coaches as some think, is the fear factor caused by the February debacle as some think or that we are weak on NIL as others think or a combination of these. Bottom line is at this point we have a disappointing class and if we don't turn it around we and the staff are in big trouble.

A strong start to the season might help and hopefully we have some solid backup [layers that we can get to commit especially in the trenches and then cleanup on the Portal.  Right now it is hurry up and wait and a few prayers sure wouldn't hurt. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Who, on this website, has said that coaches don’t have to care for players? I keep seeing you post this.

You don't see me keep posting it, I may have mentioned it around 3 times now but I'm not flooding the board with it or nothing. But when one of the players said that they didn't feel like the coach or coaches didn't care about them enough to really know them or be invested enough to get to know them you had many many people on laugh about it, or even say the coaches don't have to. So people in general.

If you want individual names just read over the time period when people were thinking Harsin may had been fired

Edited by cole256
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You don't see me keep posting it, I may have mentioned it around 3 times now but when one of the players said that they didn't feel like the coach or coaches didn't care about them enough to really know them or be invested enough to get to know them you had many many people on laugh about it, or even say the coaches don't have to. So people in general.

If you want individual names just read over the time period when people were thinking Harsin may had been fired

Ahh I see what you’re saying now. If those players were being genuine about Harsin not caring,  which we have no proof that they weren’t experiencing that, wouldn’t that just be another strike against Harsin on why he likely won’t be able to turn the ship around?

Edited by AuCivilEng1

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We actually had two different takes from players at end of year. Those like Hunter who said coaches did not take care of players and the ones that stated because they thought that Harsin was the type of coach we needed. There is no doubt in my mind that Harsin could have done better relating to players and their families but I also think some not all of the players left because they didn't want a coach who made them accountable. Show up at practice on time, know playbook, etc.

Those that have stayed have bought into his philosophy so it will be interesting to see if we have enough depth and ifhis philosophy has made them into better players.

On the recruiting front we seem to have a lot of players that liked Auburn but committed to another team or are still on the fence but leaning towards another team. This could be for any of three reason or a combination of 2 or 3 of the reasons. One coaches on the whole just are not good recruiters, two the debacle in February has scared players of as they are not sure coaches will be back, three while we have done solid on NIL for Tank on the whole other teams are beating us there.

At this point it doesn't matter whether it is all on the coaches as some think, is the fear factor caused by the February debacle as some think or that we are weak on NIL as others think or a combination of these. Bottom line is at this point we have a disappointing class and if we don't turn it around we and the staff are in big trouble.

A strong start to the season might help and hopefully we have some solid backup [layers that we can get to commit especially in the trenches and then cleanup on the Portal.  Right now it is hurry up and wait and a few prayers sure wouldn't hurt. 

Yes there are many who came to the conclusion that they didn't want a coach to hold them accountable.....the thing about that is people just said that to have something to say.....there wasn't any evidence of this though. That's how it is on message boards. Always have been. You have a QB that's athletic I guarantee you will soon see a post that he can't throw, you have a guy at wr that's athletic you will have someone say he can't run routes, a linebacker good at run support someone will say he can't cover.....people just say stuff all the time. 

But all that is moot, I'm speaking on how you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't literally sit and argue and go against every single point that would be viewed as pro player then in turn go after and kill a coach about recruiting when you are applauding making moves to send a player to another school. That doesn't make any sense.

22 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It’s crazy how one thing can send a career into chaos. If Bo doesn’t go down, we more than likely at least beat South Carolina, Bama, and Maybe even Houston. And the off season from hell probably doesn’t happen and in turn, recruiting is more stable. College coaching is such an unstable life. I don’t envy the guys who do it at all. But on the other hand, they make an awesome godly amount of money. So you can only feel so bad for them.

And that’s the crazy part of it all. Bo is getting crushed by some for not being that guy but at the same time we can all agree that had he finished the season the off season is completely different .

I still think the talent pool was decent last year to keep Auburn in games just not much depth. This year will probably be similar. Next year will be really interesting.

Edited by e808
Typo
  • Like 1