2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

9 hours ago, Rednilla said:

If he can do well enough this season to give people confidence in him, yeah, I think so. But because of what went down in February, it's understandable that recruits might not have so much faith in his chances to stick around long.

Bingo - name a coach recruiting now that went through that epic mess, like Auburn did in February. Lucky we have the kids we have now, and even those are subjective to how the season goes and Auburn PTB responds.

• Like 1

Nil for football is not going to get any better until we get a new coach in. Which means recruiting won’t be getting any better. It’s pretty obvious they (boosters) don’t want to support a guy they never wanted and just tried to run off. And who they will try to run off again this off season. They are saving their Pennie’s for another massive buy out. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Nil for football is not going to get any better until we get a new coach in. Which means recruiting won’t be getting any better. It’s pretty obvious they (boosters) don’t want to support a guy they never wanted and just tried to run off. And who they will try to run off again this off season. They are saving their Pennie’s for another massive buy out. 

Oh well. Control what we can control.

Basketball is gonna be fun and gymnastics might win a natty. Baseball is about to capitalize on recent success. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Pretty sure that Dameyune Craig and Fred Beasley were both redshirts on the 93 team, and I know Willie Anderson was a freshman on that team, which would mean each of them were more likely recruited by Dye's staff and simply retained by Bowden after Dye stepped down.

Bowden gets full credit for Takeo, though, I suppose.

So, Bowden signed them but gets no credit. :) Same ol' same ol'. Bowden takes a team Dye had gone 10-11 with the prior two years and coaches them to 20 straight wins but he "did it with Dye's players". That didn't hold water then and it doesn't hold water now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Oh well. Control what we can control.

Basketball is gonna be fun and gymnastics might win a natty. Baseball is about to capitalize on recent success. 

Oh well!? This ain’t the zeek we are familiar with!! Each mediocre recruiting class gets us further and further from  where we want to be. Plus recruiting is like a extra sport. It’s entertainment. I don’t like not being good at it right now. I’m not having any fun with anything AU football related right now. It sucks bro. Because football season should be a time for joy and excitement. Not like the feeling surrounding our program right now like we are about to walk the plank!! 😂😂.  And the truth is we are just fans so we can’t control anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Oh well!? This ain’t the zeek we are familiar with!! Each mediocre recruiting class gets us further and further from  where we want to be. Plus recruiting is like a extra sport. It’s entertainment. I don’t like not being good at it right now. I’m not having any fun with anything AU football related right now. It sucks bro. Because football season should be a time for joy and excitement. Not like the feeling surrounding our program right now like we are about to walk the plank!! 😂😂.  And the truth is we are just fans so we can’t control anything.

If you're correct, it's something that can easily be fixed. Unless we really did give CBH a seven year buyout (can someone PLEASE debunk that?)

29 minutes ago, AUwent said:

If you're correct, it's something that can easily be fixed. Unless we really did give CBH a seven year buyout (can someone PLEASE debunk that?)

There’s no way in hell.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Why do you care ? It isn’t your money haha. You were fine with them paying out a huge buyout price last spring. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

3* IOL Connor Lew -> Georgia

Are we going to be able to sign 25 bodies?

26 minutes ago, CR said:

A lot of UAB and Troy recruits will be getting a last second offer lol

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, CR said:

We didn't last year (excluding transfers) 

we need about 20 or so potential OLs to choose our 6-7 linemen from. I wonder who will be the in this group  I know there is a list of OLs that have been listed, but how many of these are likely signees. It looks like we are going to have to hit the portal hard and heavy to get the players we need. Any names that have not been mentioned yet?

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

We didn't last year (excluding transfers) 

The watch list you put up and update(thanks) is almost a complete wipeout. Were not even a speedbump to other teams at this point.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

It is? You have faith we will actually make a strong hire in football? I don’t. We will most likely hire someone underwhelming and start this whole process over again. 😔😒😭

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It is? You have faith we will actually make a strong hire in football? I don’t. We will most likely hire someone underwhelming and start this whole process over again. 😔😒😭

Depends on your definition of underwhelming. There are some here who would've considered all but three coaches in the league to be underwhelming hires.

I *would* turn in my football fan card with Steele, Lashlee, Helton, Blake Anderson (three Arky St coaches in a row, gotta list it out), etc. Though I suspect you wouldn't like my top two realistic (I hope) choices either. The "break glass" option for me (i.e. the minimum of what I would be ok with) would be Travis.

Edited by AUwent

On 7/15/2022 at 9:36 AM, Rednilla said:

Pretty sure that Dameyune Craig and Fred Beasley were both redshirts on the 93 team, and I know Willie Anderson was a freshman on that team, which would mean each of them were more likely recruited by Dye's staff and simply retained by Bowden after Dye stepped down.

Bowden gets full credit for Takeo, though, I suppose.

Craig was reshirted in 93. Beasley came in 94. Anderson and Jesse McCovery were both major recruiting signings by Bowden. A lot of because of Garner. After Garner left, recruiting took a nose dive.  Bowden's last class in 98 is a mirror of how this years class going.

7 hours ago, mountaincorgi said:

we need about 20 or so potential OLs to choose our 6-7 linemen from. I wonder who will be the in this group  I know there is a list of OLs that have been listed, but how many of these are likely signees. It looks like we are going to have to hit the portal hard and heavy to get the players we need. Any names that have not been mentioned yet?

There are some names but they haven't really gotten enough traction yet. 

8 hours ago, CR said:

The annual limit is off, so 25 is no longer a magic number. That's the good news. The bad news would be that even with no limit we probably won't be able to sign 25 SEC quality recruits.

Last cycle we lost more in the transfer portal than we gained, both in quality and quantity. Given that performance I don't think we can bank on the portal saving us.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

The annual limit is off, so 25 is no longer a magic number. That's the good news. The bad news would be that even with no limit we probably won't be able to sign 25 SEC quality recruits.

Last cycle we lost more in the transfer portal than we gained, both in quality and quantity. Given that performance I don't think we can bank on the portal saving us.

It is obvious that we lost in quantity in the Portal but I and others would disagree with you on the quality. we picked up two QB's one of who will probably be our starter, NT Jayson Jones, CB DJ James, LB Asante, Safety McDonald, and two WR's who have been injured but if healthy could help a lot.  There were 2 or 3 we lost that will hurt but most had minimal PT at Auburn and did not look like they would have gotten much this year.

Basically we lost one D-line Pegeus and others that did not play that will hurt but we picked up Jones and a Juco Mba that will make D-Line better then last year. We lost a key WR Hudson that hurts but have to see if the two WR's we picked up overcomes that and we lost depth DB types but have replaced them with James and McDonald. Number wise we lost quality wise we gained.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, dilligas said:

Hard to compete with Ohio St, UGa, Alabama these days

12 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Hard to compete with Ohio St, UGa, Alabama these days

If they eant them, they are highly likely to get them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It is obvious that we lost in quantity in the Portal but I and others would disagree with you on the quality. we picked up two QB's one of who will probably be our starter, NT Jayson Jones, CB DJ James, LB Asante, Safety McDonald, and two WR's who have been injured but if healthy could help a lot.  There were 2 or 3 we lost that will hurt but most had minimal PT at Auburn and did not look like they would have gotten much this year.

Basically we lost one D-line Pegeus and others that did not play that will hurt but we picked up Jones and a Juco Mba that will make D-Line better then last year. We lost a key WR Hudson that hurts but have to see if the two WR's we picked up overcomes that and we lost depth DB types but have replaced them with James and McDonald. Number wise we lost quality wise we gained.

Yep. We didn't lose anyone that you lose sleep over, or are irreplaceable, fortunately. Wooden and Tank would have been had they gone. A few that hurt, no doubt, but mostly deadweight that we really needed to shed. Now that we've restocked numbers wise, it looks better.

During the spring, everyone was panicking about the amount we lost since we were only trotting out roughly 60 guys during spring practices. I was too, but now we're back up to around 80ish players, a healthy number. The question is how do the ones we add pan out. I'm optimistic, but remains to be seen.