2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

11 hours ago, cbo said:

Your first two sentences are the perfect counterpoint to my argument. We've had chances to hire the right guy and we haven't made it happen. 

But I firmly believe the Harsin mess is more than just a guy trying to take control. A huge part is that it's not the right guy. 

Then ask why have they not done it. It’s definitely not money. The best coaches in the nation Dabo, Saban, Smart, Day, have full control of their programs. They run things and boosters get out of the way. Auburn’s boosters don’t. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cbo said:

Mason was undervalued

I keep reading this.  I was pretty underwhelmed with our D last year, until the Bama game. 

Did anyone think he did a great job coaching up the D?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I'm not surprised per se, but how do you lose out on the legacy guy literally named after Auburn

Probably because the coach recruiting him ain’t gonna ever coach him.

18 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

The only people who will come to this mess if Harsin is ran out of town are snake oil salesmen looking for a quick 10 million bucks, or some off-field analyst ready to make the big move up...

Urban Meyer?

• Dislike 1

How much of the “coach will not be here” stuff is fans killing recruiting? If we came out and said Hars is our guy for the next two years and got behind him, what would happen. He seems to see problems and be looking to fix them with new hires. Like the guy from the Cowboys.

I really do not think we will upgrade at coach if he goes at this point. To much internal problems. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

I keep reading this.  I was pretty underwhelmed with our D last year, until the Bama game. 

Not a great job but I think he did a good job especially in SEC play. Our defense was one of the league leaders in PPG allowed in SEC play while our offense was towards the bottom in PPG.

Our offense went multiple games without scoring a point in the 2nd half. Even though he wasn’t calling plays that’s embarrassing from an offensive minded HC

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, wildlife alumni said:

How much of the “coach will not be here” stuff is fans killing recruiting?

I don’t think it’s killing recruiting. Harsin and his Boise guys just not that good at recruiting. Boise fans were saying that when we hired him

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, wildlife alumni said:

How much of the “coach will not be here” stuff is fans killing recruiting? If we came out and said Hars is our guy for the next two years and got behind him, what would happen. He seems to see problems and be looking to fix them with new hires. Like the guy from the Cowboys.

I really do not think we will upgrade at coach if he goes at this point. To much internal problems. 

Nothing would happen

fans are not speaking this guy or any coach’s shortcomings into existence on their own, or even as a large percentage. And honestly, Auburn fans that want the guy gone aren’t even a majority. You can use this forum as a sample where it’s a crowd that’s relatively loud, but it’s not a majority. The majority is just wait and see 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

Mississippi State says NO! He sucked and I'm glad that he is gone! It's my belief that he was forced on Harsin and part of our attitude issues. He damn sure didn't put Smoke in check with his BS and play. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, aucom96 said:

That seems likely. 

The timing was just bad, but bringing in a my way or the highway style coach who thinks he's going to billy-ball his way to wins was a bad move with NIL being what it is. I don't see Harsin surviving, not because he isn't a good coach, but because he's not a good enough coach to overcome the talent deficit he'll be facing in the SEC. As long as this current form of NIL stays a reality, the best chance of success Auburn has is a coaching staff who can politic with the likes of Rane and also know what he's doing on the field. I think the days of the god-like coaches are mostly over and everything will be much more strategic and off the field than even before. 

Hopefully the new guy from Dallas is good at marketing. NIL feels like an opportunity to better market your program and you can't tell me with current players like Tank, Sunisa, Westry, Traore, etc. and previous players like Cam, Bo, Jabari, etc. that we can't market the program. But when you look at lists like this one of NIL deals on ON3... https://www.on3.com/nil/deals/

....you notice Bo Nix has a deal at Oregon, Shaun Shivers has a deal at Indiana, lots of players at other SEC schools with deals, and even deals for players at JSU and UAB, then it feels like Auburn is not a place to go to get NIL opportunities. It make senses to keep the numbers confidential, but there should be marketing /recruiting reasons to let future players know that you can get NIL opportunities at AU. If our NIL is even active; I keep seeing conflicting info on what's actually going in with the collectives.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

Hopefully the new guy from Dallas is good at marketing. NIL feels like an opportunity to better market your program and you can't tell me with current players like Tank, Sunisa, Westry, Traore, etc. and previous players like Cam, Bo, Jabari, etc. that we can't market the program. But when you look at lists like this one of NIL deals on ON3... https://www.on3.com/nil/deals/

....you notice Bo Nix has a deal at Oregon, Shaun Shivers has a deal at Indiana, lots of players at other SEC schools with deals, and even deals for players at JSU and UAB, then it feels like Auburn is not a place to go to get NIL opportunities. It make senses to keep the numbers confidential, but there should be marketing /recruiting reasons to let future players know that you can get NIL opportunities at AU. If our NIL is even active; I keep seeing conflicting info on what's actually going in with the collectives.

This…seriously is it even a thing at Auburn? 

• Like 1

Spoiler: won’t be Auburn….. 

57 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Not a great job but I think he did a good job especially in SEC play. Our defense was one of the league leaders in PPG allowed in SEC play while our offense was towards the bottom in PPG.

Our offense went multiple games without scoring a point in the 2nd half. Even though he wasn’t calling plays that’s embarrassing from an offensive minded HC

Exactly. The defense had a couple bad games but was solid overall. And then amazing in the Iron Bowl. The offense was much worse. 

55 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

Mississippi State says NO! He sucked and I'm glad that he is gone! It's my belief that he was forced on Harsin and part of our attitude issues. He damn sure didn't put Smoke in check with his BS and play. 

You think Mason was part of the "attitude issues?" Why? Because Smoke got too many targeting calls?

45 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Spoiler: won’t be Auburn….. 

Our beat guys are saving tons of money not having to drive to any player announcements

• Haha 7

22 minutes ago, CR said:

Our beat guys are saving tons of money not having to drive to any player announcements

Meanwhile, you could start a business on ‘gently used’ AU Under Amour caps as one is on almost all of the announcement tables. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Then ask why have they not done it. It’s definitely not money. The best coaches in the nation Dabo, Saban, Smart, Day, have full control of their programs. They run things and boosters get out of the way. Auburn’s boosters don’t. 

I understand how people would think that our boosters do not get out of the way, but that simply isn’t true.

A good case study could be your choice of basketball, gymnastics, or baseball.  The boosters are doing what they can when the coaches ask and gymnastics have now landed one 5* each of the last four years and basketball is doing what you see.  Baseball is also on the rise and has been.

If someone outside the program looks in objectively, they would say football is the only issue right now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4* LB Jaiden Ausberry will be playing for Notre Dame

Absolute and utter embarrassment in recruiting. Bryan Harsin could strip naked on live television, run through campus using every slur in the book, slap all females on their genitalia, and scream that he hates football... and we'd probably see a similar level of recruiting  

I have no idea how we get near 25 let alone 30 high school players 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

4* LB Jaiden Ausberry will be playing for Notre Dame

Absolute and utter embarrassment in recruiting. Bryan Harsin could strip naked on live television, run through campus using every slur in the book, slap all females on their genitalia, and scream that he hates football... and we'd probably see a similar level of recruiting  

I have no idea how we get near 25 let alone 30 high school players 

Can the season just fragging start already. Rip this bandaid off and get it over with…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Can the season just fragging start already. Rip this bandaid off and get it over with…

We're under 50 days at least

Can we please get this staff...pretty please...look at the poll in this thread, I wonder what it would look like today.

Edited by AUwent

35 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Can we please get this staff...pretty please...look at the poll in this thread, I wonder what it would look like today.

Dell as a HC to me seems like a terrible idea lol. Dude has not earned an SEC head coaching job.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Dell as a HC to me seems like a terrible idea lol. Dude has not earned an SEC head coaching job.

I totally get concerns but there's increasing evidence that hiring position AHCs can work. Of everyone I think we can realistically get I think he checks off the most boxes of what we need at this moment (aside from maybe Deion if we could get him but I know you don't like him either):

Everyone from Kirby's staff who has been hired has either had proven success or has his team headed in the right direction. Leg Humper fans consider him and Pittman, who has worked miracles so far, to be the two most valuable contributors to their success aside from Bowlcut himself. Extremely well-liked by HS coaches throughout the region. An Auburn grad, so would get along well with the PTB.

So with that in mind who if anyone do you think we could realistically get that you'd like?

Edited by AUwent