2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

45 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Kobe Hudson was our top receiver last year but his numbers were only so so no where near elite.

Interesting side note on Kobe. Here are his numbers versus Shedrick Jackson. Not exactly a lot of difference in performance, but a lot of difference from the fan’s perception of the two. I was happy to see SJ return. 

KH-44 catches 580 yards 4 td13.2 ypc 

SJ-40 catches 527 yards  1 td 13.2 ypc

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You can't say that Harsin had the three WR's that went the NFL route. They were going to do that even if Gus has not been let go and counting Davis is really weak. I already counted Tank and TE's. I also mentioned that Harsin used the TE's better then Gus did.  I will give you that if Harsin is let go now O-line will be in even worse state.  With a good to great O-Line Tank puts up great numbers but last year his numbers were pedestrian but that was on O-Line not Tank.

Kobe Hudson was our top receiver last year but his numbers were only so so no where near elite.

No WR is going to have elite numbers when you’ve got an average QB with mediocre accuracy and Tank and Hunter in your backfield. A coach is gone play to his strengths which is running the ball

6 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Let's look at it this way then, if you could indulge me for a moment.  These boosters are business men and women.  In order to have the kind of money that they have, they are good business men and women.  So, that probably means, if they see that what they did for Bruce Pearl worked and that "business venture" is working, they would probably replicate it in other sports too as it is a successful business model.

Having said all of this however, I do see where you are coming from so I understand how you feel.  With the type of information put out there the last six months I also think you are valid in those thoughts.  I just know that the boosters are not meddling like they are being made out to be because I work with a few of them and am the architect on how they are making these gifts.  It is part of what I do for a living.

I think it was too much division on the hire. It’s never gonna be a consensus but in Harsin’s case, I have never seen the fanbase, boosters, etc more split on new coach.

Now if that is what you do for a living then can you share more about what they are doing in the NIL front…because I know a few recruits and HS  coaches who say Auburn is way behind 

Recruiting Insider: New names, big movement for Auburn at the edge position

Man Crazy happy for the guys that’s what they’ve worked for. The media gave them a 2% chance of winning the championship and they took advantage of that. (62) EJ Holland/On3 

Auburn has a major need at the edge position this cycle. That is no secret.

In fact, the Tigers could sign three or four of them in the 2023 class.

Today, we have the latest intel at this position — and some new names certainly have emerged.

Joseph Mupoyi, a 3-star recruit from Washington (D.C.) Archbishop Carroll, is a new prospect of note at the edge, and we expect him to visit next week (July 26 or July 27). We’re told Mupoyi, the No. 5 recruit in D.C., while a little raw, is extremely athletic.

Mupoyi is a native of Africa; he claims a Tigers offer and is listed at 6-foot-5, 235 pounds. The interest is strong on both sides and there is some intel that suggests Auburn is surging. Bottom line: He absolutely has become someone to watch moving forward and next week’s visit is huge.

Auburn has multiple edge targets in Florida

-The Tigers recently began communicating with 4-star edge Cameron Lenhardt of Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy. Nebraska is the clear-cut favorite and he hopes to commit in August. But Auburn will have a Zoom call with Lenhardt on Thursday and the Tigers are pushing to get him on campus for Big Cat Weekend next week. There’s a little urgency here given that he’s close to picking a school but thus far the back and forth between the two sides has been positive. 

-Zachary (La.) 4-star edge Ashley Williamscommitted to Nebraska on July 10 but Auburn remains very much in the picture. In fact, the Tigers are trying to get him on campus and it seems likely to happen. Williams, the No. 16 prospect in Louisiana, might attend Big Cat Weekend. If he can’t make it, then we think it’s highly likely he officially visits the Tigers during the season. It sounds like Auburn might have a legitimate shot at a flip if things continue to progress.

Tigers trending for key target?

-We believe Auburn might be emerging as the favorite for 4-star edge Wilky Denaud of Fort Pierce (Fla.) John Carroll. For the Tigers, there are three primary reasons for optimism. 1. He wants to play early and Auburn early can offer that at the edge; 2. His connection to edge coach Roc Bellantoni is strong; 3. His relationship with former Auburn player Jamien Sherwood. It’s believed Sherwood has spoken highly of his former school. Florida State, Tennessee and Indiana round out his top four. 

Denaud can’t make it to Big Cat Weekend later this month, but plans to officially visit in September. 

Right now, there is growing optimism and confidence at Auburn. 

-One trusted source thinks it’s probably a three-team race for 4-star edge Rueben Bainof Miami (Fla.) Central, with Alabama leading and both Auburn and the hometown Hurricanes also in the mix. We expect him to attend one or possibly two Auburn home games this season.

-Auburn continues to recruit 4-star Florida State commit Keldric Faulk of Highland Home (Ala.). He verbaled to the Seminoles on July 4 but soon after made it clear in a conversation with Auburn he wants the Tigers to keep recruiting him. 

-Yes, 5-star edge Qua Russaw of Montgomery (Ala.) Carver remains a top target. There’s just not much new to report with him at this moment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Interesting side note on Kobe. Here are his numbers versus Shedrick Jackson. Not exactly a lot of difference in performance, but a lot of difference from the fan’s perception of the two. I was happy to see SJ return. 

KH-44 catches 580 yards 4 td13.2 ypc 

SJ-40 catches 527 yards  1 td 13.2 ypc

What you’re not noting is Kobe’s emergence in the last half of the season. It was clear he had turned a corner and was our best receiver. Had a touchdown in his last 3 games and went for over 100 yards against MSU.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2022 at 2:29 PM, HAPvsOA said:

If our NIL is even active; I keep seeing conflicting info on what's actually going in with the collectives.

Auburn currently has 2 collectives (NIL Auburn & Friends of Auburn NIL) - a 3rd collective set to launch this Friday (Plains NIL Club) which is run by football players because the other 2 NIL's were taking too big of a cut (%) of the revenue from the players - a 4th collective (On to Victory) is rumored to be released very soon with a marketing campaign to raise $30million in 3 yrs. 

That's (FOUR) 4 NIL Collectives in only 7 months and they are all ACTIVE!  :rimshot:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

Auburn currently has 2 collectives (NIL Auburn & Friends of Auburn NIL) - a 3rd collective set to launch this Friday (Plains NIL Club) which is run by football players because the other 2 NIL's were taking too big of a cut (%) of the revenue from the players - a 4th collective (On to Victory) is rumored to be released very soon with a marketing campaign to raise $30million in 3 yrs. 

That's (FOUR) 4 NIL Collectives in only 7 months and they are all ACTIVE!  :rimshot:

Thanks. This is the best summary I've seen yet. So it begs a second question, are they raising money from fans bc I haven't seen a donation request yet....lol! 

Just a few initial thoughts. The 1st one could especially use some marketing help and does the 2nd one really exist? 

NIL auburnhttps://www.nilauburn.com/; It's clear how to join and having Jason Campbell onboard is cool, but just 3 non-well known corporate partners? ;  Football: no Tank? Then you gotta have Pappoe 1st and put DD on the 2nd page since he's not longer with the team. ; Basketball: again players no longer with the team shup up near the top of the list? 

Friends of Auburn NIL - do they even have a website? Doesn't show up on a Google search and not on the ON3 list. https://www.on3.com/nil/collectives/

Plains NIL club. As you mentioned, it hasn't launched yet, but it's an interesting approach to get fans involved in NIL and distribute things equally. https://www.plainsnilclub.com/

On to Victory - only reference I can find is behind a paywall, but hopefully it's decent. https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers/news/insider-transformation-of-nil-auburn-collective-nearly-done-reaching-final-stages/

Edited by HAPvsOA

4 hours ago, toddc said:

Recruiting Insider: New names, big movement for Auburn at the edge position

Man Crazy happy for the guys that’s what they’ve worked for. The media gave them a 2% chance of winning the championship and they took advantage of that. (62) EJ Holland/On3 

Auburn has a major need at the edge position this cycle. That is no secret.

In fact, the Tigers could sign three or four of them in the 2023 class.

Today, we have the latest intel at this position — and some new names certainly have emerged.

Joseph Mupoyi, a 3-star recruit from Washington (D.C.) Archbishop Carroll, is a new prospect of note at the edge, and we expect him to visit next week (July 26 or July 27). We’re told Mupoyi, the No. 5 recruit in D.C., while a little raw, is extremely athletic.

Mupoyi is a native of Africa; he claims a Tigers offer and is listed at 6-foot-5, 235 pounds. The interest is strong on both sides and there is some intel that suggests Auburn is surging. Bottom line: He absolutely has become someone to watch moving forward and next week’s visit is huge.

Auburn has multiple edge targets in Florida

-The Tigers recently began communicating with 4-star edge Cameron Lenhardt of Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy. Nebraska is the clear-cut favorite and he hopes to commit in August. But Auburn will have a Zoom call with Lenhardt on Thursday and the Tigers are pushing to get him on campus for Big Cat Weekend next week. There’s a little urgency here given that he’s close to picking a school but thus far the back and forth between the two sides has been positive. 

-Zachary (La.) 4-star edge Ashley Williamscommitted to Nebraska on July 10 but Auburn remains very much in the picture. In fact, the Tigers are trying to get him on campus and it seems likely to happen. Williams, the No. 16 prospect in Louisiana, might attend Big Cat Weekend. If he can’t make it, then we think it’s highly likely he officially visits the Tigers during the season. It sounds like Auburn might have a legitimate shot at a flip if things continue to progress.

Tigers trending for key target?

-We believe Auburn might be emerging as the favorite for 4-star edge Wilky Denaud of Fort Pierce (Fla.) John Carroll. For the Tigers, there are three primary reasons for optimism. 1. He wants to play early and Auburn early can offer that at the edge; 2. His connection to edge coach Roc Bellantoni is strong; 3. His relationship with former Auburn player Jamien Sherwood. It’s believed Sherwood has spoken highly of his former school. Florida State, Tennessee and Indiana round out his top four. 

Denaud can’t make it to Big Cat Weekend later this month, but plans to officially visit in September. 

Right now, there is growing optimism and confidence at Auburn. 

-One trusted source thinks it’s probably a three-team race for 4-star edge Rueben Bainof Miami (Fla.) Central, with Alabama leading and both Auburn and the hometown Hurricanes also in the mix. We expect him to attend one or possibly two Auburn home games this season.

-Auburn continues to recruit 4-star Florida State commit Keldric Faulk of Highland Home (Ala.). He verbaled to the Seminoles on July 4 but soon after made it clear in a conversation with Auburn he wants the Tigers to keep recruiting him. 

-Yes, 5-star edge Qua Russaw of Montgomery (Ala.) Carver remains a top target. There’s just not much new to report with him at this moment.

Yup some good news finally. Especially considering we want to take anywhere from 2-4 edge rushers with all the guys leaving after this year. Wilky is one I have really liked and Lenhardt is legit.

• Like 3

Answering a question I saw earlier in the thread (but forgot to respond at the time). I leave the crossed out players because we're still recruiting them and working for flips. While it is heavily unlikely we can get even 20% of them to flip the staff is trying and that makes them still relevant. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Let’s ask ourselves why did Billy Napier, Cristobal, Stoops, Lincoln Riley and other alleged coaching prospects tell Auburn no…..why does Auburn keep settling…serious question…what is the turn off?

You know my theory.

Hoke just released an NIL asked and answered. He says that Rane and Harbert won't contribute because they want either Hugh Freeze, Will Muschamp, or Charles Kelly to be the coach. That had been speculated by others before, and now an actual writer says it too. 

It's their money so they can do what they want obviously. Hard for me to complain. But at the same time, no one is bigger than Auburn imo whether you have $1 dollar to your name or 1 billion. Thus, while I absolutely think money should buy access, I don't think it should buy control. Jmo.

It may be time where we may have to start preparing for a post-Rane world, just like we did with Lowder a while back. Nothing lasts forever. Just like Bruce found new donors for basketball like the Nevilles, I think it would be wise to start searching for new football donors too. It can't hurt. Because I'm not sure that Freeze, Kelly, or Muschamp would ever be signed off on. Maybe 'Champ. Freeze seemed possible but not anymore after his latest issues.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Angry 1

33 minutes ago, au302 said:

Hoke just released an NIL asked and answered. He says that Rane and Harbert won't contribute because they want either Hugh Freeze, Will Muschamp, or Charles Kelly to be the coach. That had been speculated by others before, and now an actual writer says it too. 

It's their money so they can do what they want obviously. Hard for me to complain. But at the same time, no one is bigger than Auburn imo whether you have $1 dollar to your name or 1 billion. Thus, while I absolutely think money should buy access, I don't think it should buy control. Jmo.

It may be time where we may have to start preparing for a post-Rane world, just like we did with Lowder a while back. Nothing lasts forever. Just like Bruce found new donors for basketball like the Nevilles, I think it would be wise to start searching for new football donors too. It can't hurt. Because I'm not sure that Freeze, Kelly, or Muschamp would ever be signed off on. Maybe 'Champ. Freeze seemed possible but not anymore after his latest issues.

All of those names besides freeze make me want to 🤮🤢🥴!!!! Charles Kelly!?!? Gtfo!!!!! 😡 😤 😠. Just shut the program down right now!!! That’s absolutely egregious and embarrassing!!! Why must our 2 most important boosters try to run our hundred million plus operation like it’s a mom and pop store!?!? Lsu and usc are out there hiring big fish and landing whales and we want to go after the liberty head coach, a guy who failed at Florida and Charles Kelly who wasn’t even a good dc with elite talent when fsu was rolling. Same ol awwwwbarrrrn as usual. This is the time when it’s actually correct to use the term Jaba. So tyyyyyyp 2 of those have strong Auburn ties. Can’t wait until Chip Lindsey and Rhett Lashlee are candidates as well….. smh 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

All of those names besides freeze make me want to 🤮🤢🥴!!!! Charles Kelly!?!? Gtfo!!!!! 😡 😤 😠. Just shut the program down right now!!! That’s absolutely egregious and embarrassing!!! Why must our 2 most important boosters try to run our hundred million plus operation like it’s a mom and pop store!?!? Lsu and usc are out there hiring big fish and landing whales and we want to go after the liberty head coach, a guy who failed at Florida and Charles Kelly who wasn’t even a good dc with elite talent when fsu was rolling. Same ol awwwwbarrrrn as usual. This is the time when it’s actually correct to use the term Jaba. So tyyyyyyp 2 of those have strong Auburn ties. Can’t wait until Chip Lindsey and Rhett Lashlee are candidates as well….. smh 🤦‍♂️ 

It's tough. Where do you draw the line. How much power should donating big get you? I have no doubt these guys love Auburn. Probably get too much flak from us as well, but it's a continuing problem. It is what it is. Lose/lose. You either ignore them and get a HC who has no support, or give in and get a HC who has support, but zero control. Both are equally bad imo.

The only way to get one with both support and control is for 1. Money men and leaders to put their ego's aside, 2. Fork up big time to... 3. hire a huge name that can command both support and control. Not many coaches can command this though. They are difficult to entice, and expensive as hell. 

Edited by au302
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

they want Will Muschamp  to be the coach

r8lp8h3d7uhx.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Muschamp must interview very well, because I've never seen someone fail upward as much as that guy. Seriously, what in the world goes on in that 10-gal head of the Yellafella to think that THIS TIME Will Muschamp has it figured out.

Freeze? Just more "But he beat Bama" chasing of the dragon. I'm sure they also have full intentions to take his phone away? Because that's the only way he doesn't get fired in short time for cause.

Charles Kelly doesn't excite me, but he's not complete hapless when it comes to recruiting. I just don't know what about his resume screams that he's ready to lead a major program?

Geez... How can I be smarter than our billion-dollar-net-worth donors?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

We need to come to grips with the fact that there is no way we could land a "big fish" even if we wanted to, not as long as we want to keep our beloved historic rivalries 😒. You said it yourself, we need an expert recruiter and someone who can gel with the boosters easily. You do know who was named the top recruiter this last class, right?

It DOES disappoint me, however, that they don't have the three on my wishlist. It equally disappoints me, though, that many would be up in arms if we hired any of them.

Basically, Deion > Dell >> T-Will or Kelly > Freeze >>>>>>>> Muschamp, Lashlee >>>>> Steele, Helton

Edited by AUwent
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Muschamp must interview very well, because I've never seen someone fail upward as much as that guy. Seriously, what in the world goes on in that 10-gal head of the Yellafella to think that THIS TIME Will Muschamp has it figured out.

Freeze? Just more "But he beat Bama" chasing of the dragon. I'm sure they also have full intentions to take his phone away? Because that's the only way he doesn't get fired in short time for cause.

Charles Kelly doesn't excite me, but he's not complete hapless when it comes to recruiting. I just don't know what about his resume screams that he's ready to lead a major program?

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Freeze has always been the #1 name mentioned among them, but I'm assuming with his latest scandal, he's no longer viable, if he ever was. He ruined whatever redemption, if any, he earned back the past few years. Not even because what he did was so vile, rather, it just showed another serious lack of judgement and common sense for a HC to DM a plaintiff of an active lawsuit against the school at midnight. That is a huge no no and makes the schools attorneys jobs even harder

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, AUwent said:

We need to come to grips with the fact that there is no way we could land a "big fish" even if we wanted to, not as long as we want to keep our beloved historic rivalries 😒. You said it yourself, we need an expert recruiter and someone who can gel with the boosters easily. You do know who was named the top recruiter this last class, right?

It DOES disappoint me, however, that they don't have the three on my wishlist. It equally disappoints me, though, that many would be up in arms if we hired any of them.

Basically, Kelly > Freeze > Muschamp

Miami, lsu and usc all showed last year you can land a big fish if you pay them enough. AU has more money than lsu and Miami we just only seem to want to throw it and wave around when it comes to buy outs. Hell lsu just recently a couple of years ago when coach O was promoted it was reported that they were having money problems and they just gave Brian kelly 10 years for 95 million. Miami looks like they are heavy hitters in nil but in reality it’s just 1 main guy.  It’s never been a can issue with AU for hiring a proven guy it’s a will and want to issue. The money is absolutely there. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Miami, lsu and usc all showed last year you can land a big fish if you pay them enough. AU has more money than lsu and Miami we just only seem to want to throw it and wave around when it comes to buy outs. Hell lsu just recently a couple of years ago when coach O was promoted that they were  having money problems it was reported and they just gave Brian kelly 10 years for 95 million. Miami looks like they are heavy hitters in nil but in reality it’s just 1 main guy.  It’s never been a can issue with AU for hiring a proven guy it’s a will and want to issue. The money is absolutely there. 

Yeah, and as long as we have to keep playing the toughest schedule in the country every year what elite coach is going to want to come here? So many in our fanbase like to wear that as a badge of honor all because of what happened almost twenty years ago when the SEC was incredibly weak.

If we go to one permanent opponent, maybe that'll make us a more attractive job. Hell, three permanents could maybe improve our standing as long as we get the Dores.

I just have a hard time believing that our boosters are somehow so much worse than most other major football programs. This needs to be linked to, yet again.

Edited by AUwent

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

Freeze has always been the #1 name mentioned among them, but I'm assuming with his latest scandal, he's no longer viable, if he ever was. He ruined whatever redemption, if any, he earned back the past few years. Not even because what he did was so vile, rather, it just showed another serious lack of judgement and common sense for a HC to DM a plaintiff of an active lawsuit against the school at midnight. That is a huge no no and makes the schools attorneys jobs even harder

Momma used to say, "Stupid is as stupid does"... Yeah, I agree with you but even as of a few days ago you had folks like JBoy preaching how much Hugh Freeze would right the ship for Auburn and ready for his redemption tour...

There are few coincidences in media and it really makes me wonder if Rane and Harbert aren't trying to steer the narrative toward "Freeze to AU" given the timing... Maybe I just believe too much in conspiracy.

• Like 1

Just now, AUwent said:

Yeah, and as long as we have to keep playing the toughest schedule in the country every year what elite coach is going to want to come here? Maybe if DSOR is played every other year...

You pay them above market value to make them want to come here. That was the whole point of my post. Kelly left Notre dame to come to the sec west where their permanent cross division rival is Florida. They also have one of the toughest schedules every year. Notre dame has a much easier schedule than lsu. Riley left a absolute cake job where he was at the top of the food chain and won eleven games every year but 1 and the 1 he didn’t he won 10 to go to albeit a blue blood a complete dumpster fire and a total rebuilding job in usc. Why? Money. AU only seems to want to give out big contracts for the second and third contracts. Not the initial one. One of these days hopefully our boosters will finally get tired of getting dominated by our rivals and go about changing it and throwing a lot of money at a proven ready made coach and recruiter.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You pay them above market value to make them want to come here. That was the whole point of my post. Kelly left Notre dame to come to the sec west where their permanent cross division rival is Florida. They also have one of the toughest schedules every year. Notre dame has a much easier schedule than lsu. Riley left a absolute cake job where he was at the top of the food chain and won eleven games every year but 1 and the 1 he didn’t he won 10 to go to albeit a blue blood a complete dumpster fire and a total rebuilding job in usc. Why? Money. AU only seems to want to give out big contracts for the second and third contracts. Not the initial one. One of these days hopefully our boosters will finally get tired of getting dominated by our rivals and go about changing it and throwing a lot of money at a proven ready made coach and recruiter.

For every LSU, there's at least two of Arkansas, Kentucky, Ole Miss and South Carolina. It's true that we've had vastly more success than those four programs just off 2010 alone, but because of who our rivals are our prospects at landing a coach are going to be in that latter group. I just wish we'd stop acting like hiring a Brian Kelly is the only pathway to success, because it isn't. There will be a whooping three coaches in the league even when the newbies join who fit that profile when hired at their current job (unless you count Leach, which, something tells me you wouldn’t).

No disrespect at all GWill, I like ya. :)

Edited by AUwent

30 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

It's not hard.  Very few wealthy people are that smart.  You just give them credence because society has said so for millenia.

Most people who are wealthy are not the most intelligent, but they know how to position themselves

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I can certainly understand the fact that Rane's money will go where he wants it to go, I can't understand why he would rather watch us fall further behind our competition just because he can. I was far from being a Tuberville fan and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm starting to miss him. Muschamp...no way. Freeze...I just don't know. I mean I would love to have football's version of Pearl but I just don't know if he'd be that guy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1