2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

The 2023 class will be the measuring stick for this coaching staff’s ability to recruit. The state of Alabama is absolutely loaded - 5 five stars and 14 four stars in the 247 composite ranking. If they can’t get it done in 2023 with the new football facility, then they never will. 

• Like 2

On 11/26/2021 at 2:16 PM, bigbird said:

Seems a lot of recruits know a lot more than a lot of whiney fans.

When I visited the other schools, it just was not the same as Auburn. It did not feel like they were as confident about what they had, and I didn’t really like that. I really like coach Nick Eason there, and I could see myself fighting for him and playing hard. I felt like the coaches were different over there, all of them, Coach (Bryan) Harsin, and I just love it there.

-M'ba

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

The 2023 class will be the measuring stick for this coaching staff’s ability to recruit. The state of Alabama is absolutely loaded - 5 five stars and 14 four stars in the 247 composite ranking. If they can’t get it done in 2023 with the new football facility, then they never will. 

Yes it will. Rubber is meeting the road in a lot of ways. No covid restrictions. No excuses about new coaches. Laid a ton of ground work so far over the last 5 months.

Time to close and start building talent. It also seems like a lot of the top guys are open to us. 

8 hours ago, WFE12 said:

New year’s day

Is that a bad sign? I saw we got a CB a few days ago (edit: and two today!) but the OC change might be a factor.

Edited by AUwent

31 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Is that a bad sign? I saw we got a CB a few days ago (edit: and two today!) but the OC change might be a factor.

Nah I think he just wanted to make it more special 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Gotcha, That makes more sense. Thx

You bet.

And that's why it's such an interesting quote to me. Like, who was this guy talking to who wasn't as confident in what they had as the staff that just went 6-6 and 0-fer in November? What does that say about our staff? 

Maybe it's a big deal, or maybe it's nothing. But it really jumped out at me in a very positive way. 

On 10/12/2021 at 10:52 AM, Zeek said:

Updated 12/21/2021

Quarterbacks (Need 1)

4* QB Christopher Vizzina | 6'3" 200 lbs | Birmingham, AL

Running Backs (Need 1-2)

Wide Receivers (Need 2-3)

4*  WR Karmello English | 5'11" 175 lbs | Phenix City, AL

Tight Ends (Need 1-2)

Offensive Tackles (Need 2)

Inside Offensive Linemen (Need 2-3)

4* OC Bradyn Joiner | 6'1" 330 lbs | Auburn, AL

Defensive Linemen (Need 2-3)

5* DL Peter Woods | 6'3" 259 lbs | Alabaster, AL

4* DL Kelby Collins | 6'5" 250 lbs | Gardendale, AL

4* DL Tommarion Parker | 6'4" 250 lbs | Phenix City, AL

4* DL Keldrick Faulk | 6'4" 235 lbs | Highland Home, AL

Edge Rushers (Need 1-2)

Linebackers (Need 2-3)

Corner Backs (Need 2-3)

5* Jahlil Hurley | 6'2" 170 lbs | Florence, AL

5* Tony Mitchell | 6'2" 180 lbs | Alabaster, AL

5* AJ Harris | 6'1" 180 lbs | Phenix City, AL

Safeties (Need 1-2)

4* Sylvester Smith | 5'11" 195 lbs | Munford, AL

Updated 12/21

Only including guys that it seems like we have made some progress with at the moment. Bradyn Joiner is committing on New Years Day and it's largely expected that it's going to be to Auburn. At his current height he projects as a Center prospect.

The staff has offered a number of Quarterbacks but Christopher Vizzina is the only one they have constantly pushed to visit and have heavily pursued. Like the staff did with 2022 4* QB Holden Geriner, they offered Vizzina while he was a 3* without a huge offer sheet. I think it's their plan to get him in the 2023 class as soon as possible. Vizzina has offers from Clemson, Florida, Kentucky, Notre Dame, Michigan, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Penn State, USC, Georgia, Texas, and many others.

Central High School in Phenix City has a lot of highly rated prospects. Wining these in-state battles is going to be huge in the 2023 recruiting class. Defensive Line recruiting has already looked pretty impressive; Eason has had a lot of these guys on campus early and often. How we close will tell just how good he really is with a full recruiting period.

Running Back has no real steam right now and the Offensive Line is underwhelming with how much of a priority that position is moving forward. When Austin Davis arrives on campus we should see a little more momentum.

It is still very early and the 2022 class hasn't fully closed out. We will know more after the February signing period.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

the Offensive Line is underwhelming with how much of a priority that position is moving forward

we need a new zeek i don't like this one anymore

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You bet.

And that's why it's such an interesting quote to me. Like, who was this guy talking to who wasn't as confident in what they had as the staff that just went 6-6 and 0-fer in November? What does that say about our staff? 

Maybe it's a big deal, or maybe it's nothing. But it really jumped out at me in a very positive way. 

I agree completely. Harsin seems to be very strong in sharing his vision.

• Like 1

Just now, McLoofus said:

we need a new zeek i don't like this one anymore

I know you are joking but he is just the messenger. While I know we are recruiting 2023 O-Line I believe right now the emphasis is on Portal O-Line as we have an immediate need.  That said this 2023 recruiting class if the key to long term O-line recruiting as the Portal is only a very needed band-aid. Hopefully when new OC arrives we will start to see some movement on this front.

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I know you are joking but he is just the messenger. While I know we are recruiting 2023 O-Line I believe right now the emphasis is on Portal O-Line as we have an immediate need.  That said this 2023 recruiting class if the key to long term O-line recruiting as the Portal is only a very needed band-aid. Hopefully when new OC arrives we will start to see some movement on this front.

I’m not following the OC impact to OL recruitment. There is a great deal I don’t see though so not saying your wrong.

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I’m not following the OC impact to OL recruitment. There is a great deal I don’t see though so not saying your wrong.

It's more of an impact on the offensive side as an entirety. Not a lot of momentum for the RBs, WRs, TEs, or OL. Harsin can lead the charge on a QB as that seems to be his specialty. They are going to want to meet Austin Davis before committing. Also, I still think there is a good chance Harsin & Davis move on from Will Friend but we will see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Yeah, we need to have troops on both of those fronts. Can't be an either/or, let's finish one before we start the other thing.

26 minutes ago, Zeek said:

It's more of an impact on the offensive side as an entirety. Not a lot of momentum for the RBs, WRs, TEs, or OL. Harsin can lead the charge on a QB as that seems to be his specialty. They are going to want to meet Austin Davis before committing. Also, I still think there is a good chance Harsin & Davis move on from Will Friend but we will see.

Harsin will go as far as his OL takes him. If they stay mediocre he won’t be here long. He’s a smart guy he knows it. The defense holding up they end of the bargain now it’s his and the offensive staff turn

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Harsin will go as far as his OL takes him. If they stay mediocre he won’t be here long. He’s a smart guy he knows it. The defense holding up they end of the bargain now it’s his and the offensive staff turn

I just wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to let Friend go, and bring in an NFL OL coach.

Now you have an OC/QB coach and an OL coach to bring NFL type experience to Harsin's staff, and it might help for recruits to see that especially for OL and RBs.