2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

You need to readjust the parameters.  You can't judge or base things today off of anything before 2 years ago. Portal and NIL has completely changed the recruiting landscape.  Like you said, it used to be rare, but the number of recruits signing out of area has exploded in the last couple of cycles.  It's the new norm. 

But why is it that all the recent changes seem to hurt Auburn more than any other team in the SEC?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Auburn is a legit football program. Only 6 teams have won a national championship more recently than Auburn. And we appeared in a championship game after that. 

The Iron Bowl is one of the most watched games of the year. I get texts before, during, and after from old friends all across the country. Everyone is watching. 

Historically, Auburn holds up as well. We are around 15 all time, by most metrics. 

We also have very famous alumni athletes. Bo is a legend. Cam is one of the most famous football players of the last 12 years. Not football, but Barkley is a household name who constantly talks up Auburn.  

I'm an admitted pessimist. But let's be real about Auburn football. We aren't insignificant. 

You sure we can hang with the likes of this? (2019 MSU vs. Maryland, with bowl eligibility on the line).

723C9AAE-413D-4802-AEA0-461162AE8469.thumb.jpeg.1c238e4a076999e856b75c095d5069d0.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You sure we can hang with the likes of this? (2019 MSU vs. Maryland, with bowl eligibility on the line).

723C9AAE-413D-4802-AEA0-461162AE8469.thumb.jpeg.1c238e4a076999e856b75c095d5069d0.jpeg

I don't know much or care much about Michigan State. 

I do know that Auburn has the 12th largest stadium in the country. I can't imagine all that money was spent on seats that were expected to be empty. And I don't recall JHS ever looking like this during an important game. 

I will say I find @Brad_ATX's anti-homerism refreshing. But I don't agree with him on this debate. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cbo said:

But why is it that all the recent changes seem to hurt Auburn more than any other team in the SEC?

No idea. Maybe it was the alignment issues that have been mentioned previously. Maybe it's a tougher because compliance put the fear of God into CBH, so much so that he was even worried about operating in the off-white. Perhaps it was both.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

You named eight. That's out of a pool of well over one hundred. Yes, they are outliers.

Does this mean you are fine with AU getting three of the top 30 prospects in the state because it's the New Norm? If that's going to be the case we are in a world of hurt.

Yes and if I named 100 your point is still that Harsin can’t recruit and had a losing season and we are doomed. That’s been your only point on here for a while now. My point was not even about in state recruiting. And Hood isn’t even an instate kid. It was about someone not comprehending that schools like Penn State and Michigan State have their sales pitch too. I’m not hand wringing over a kid who may or may not have had a committable offer to begin with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Yes and if I named 100 your point is still that Harsin can’t recruit and had a losing season and we are doomed. That’s been your only point on here for a while now. My point was not even about in state recruiting. And Hood isn’t even an instate kid. It was about someone not comprehending that schools like Penn State and Michigan State have their sales pitch too. I’m not hand wringing over a kid who may or may not have had a committable offer to begin with. 

Exactly, twisting what we were saying into his "top 30" post is wholly disingenuous. It's was another very poor and transparent attempt to tarnish all things CBH. Like all of us, he knows it too.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cbo said:

I don't know much or care much about Michigan State. 

I do know that Auburn has the 12th largest stadium in the country. I can't imagine all that money was spent on seats that were expected to be empty. And I don't recall JHS ever looking like this during an important game. 

I will say I find @Brad_ATX's anti-homerism refreshing. But I don't agree with him on this debate. 

This is where context helps.  The bands do post-game shows at many Big 10 schools, MSU included.  That game kicked off at 2:30, meaning the halftime show would have still been in the daylight (sun goes down around 5 up there in late fall).

Given that its dark and lights are on, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that was the post-game concert.

Edited by Brad_ATX

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Exactly, twisting what we were saying into his "top 30" post is wholly disingenuous. It's was another very poor and transparent attempt to tarnish all things CBH. Like all of us, he knows it too.

What you and some others were saying/implying is that it's perfectly ok to lose a kid to Michigan State because there's a new norm. If there's indeed some new norm, we need to be picking up some kids from Michigan and Pennsylvania to make up for the ones they are getting from Alabama. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What you and some others were saying/implying is that it's perfectly ok to lose a kid to Michigan State because there's a new norm. If there's indeed some new norm, we need to be picking up some kids from Michigan and Pennsylvania to make up for the ones they are getting from Alabama. 

Just making sure, but have you seen the dispersion of our offers the last two years?

You're again making my point. Thanks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Just making sure, but have you seen the dispersion of our offers the last two years?

<Micah Riley-Ducker and Keionte Scott raise hands>

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

33 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Probably a case where Mel Tucker is reaching back into the areas where he has some good relationships, mainly from his time with Bama and UGA. I doubt if the previous coach Dantonio (I think) recruited much down here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Class of 2022, four of our 18 signees came from non-traditional places.  Three were JUCO guys who by necessity come from states with good JUCO football programs. Most of those states are far away. Signing one TE from Nebraska doesn't balance out our local losses.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Class of 2022, four of our 18 signees came from non-traditional places.  Three were JUCO guys who by necessity come from states with good JUCO football programs. Most of those states are far away. Signing one TE from Nebraska doesn't balance out our local losses.

The fact that we are casting our offers nationally compared to the 3 states of Alabama, Georgia, and Florida like other regimes, prove what we have been saying.

We may not be signing everyone from out of the area, but neither is anyone else.  We've nabbed some just like every other school is doing.

You fighting this is notion silly.

Just now, bigbird said:

The fact that we are casting our offers nationally compared to the 3 states of Alabama, Georgia, and Florida prove what we have been saying.

We may not be signing everyone from out of the area, but neither is anyone else.  We've nabbed some just like every other school is doing.

You fighting this is notion silly.

Casting offers? Wow! That's impressive. (not) Once a while back I saw where the average P5 team sends out around 250 "offers". Of course, most are not commitable but they are offers.

We've always got a few from outside this area. Braden Smith, Alex Kozan and Jack Driskoll come to mind. I don't see any increase in such activity.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is where context helps.  The bands do post-game shows at many Big 10 schools, MSU included.  That game kicked off at 2:30, meaning the halftime show would have still been in the daylight (sun goes down around 5 up there in late fall).

Given that its dark and lights are on, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that was the post-game concert.

It was a halftime show.

38 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yeah. Offers. We are striking out on nearly all those non regional recruits. Riley-Ducker is the only one we have reeled in.

16 hours ago, AUght2win said:

This is an interesting argument: whether or not you can lose Blueblood status. I think you technically can. But I think there has to be a LONG degree of decline, and it also has to correlate to how much success you already had stacked up.

Michigan is college football’s all time winningest program. Their history is as elite as it gets. They just made the CFP and won their conference. And we’re not even 20 years removed from when Lloyd Carr was taking them to the rose bowl almost every single year. They haven’t lost their blueblood card in the grand scheme of things.

A team like Nebraska, however, I would argue they are closing in on moving down a tier. They haven’t done anything in a LOOOONG time. 

Nebraska, imo, has already lost it. Especially with this coach. 

• Like 1

Hold up everybody calm down about Colton Hood. He's a fine prospect, but it sounds like we never really pushed that hard. We have JC Hart committed and about to get Tyler Scott, who is an underrated monster.

You really only need 2 HS corners this year. If you take a third, it should either be a 5 star talent (Hurley) or a plug and play Juco guy. Coincidentally Keith stated last night that we are now evaluating a CB from Hutchinson CC who is like 6'3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Is it so hard to think that someone can be an Auburn fan and look at college football objectively with a reasonable opinion that doesn't just glorify AU?

Sorry bud, but I lost my orange and blue tinted glasses years ago.

ETA: AU is 1-4 over that same time span against the Big 10.  Maybe we should beat them before crapping on the conference?

Currently, I would say that Auburn:SEC ~ MSU:Big 10

But, I would argue that Auburn is a more prominent brand today because of the conference we play in and because

12 hours ago, cbo said:

Only 6 teams have won a national championship more recently than Auburn. And we appeared in a championship game after that. 

The Iron Bowl is one of the most watched games of the year. I get texts before, during, and after from old friends all across the country. Everyone is watching. 

Historically, Auburn holds up as well. We are around 15 all time, by most metrics. 

We also have very famous alumni athletes. Bo is a legend. Cam is one of the most famous football players of the last 12 years. Not football, but Barkley is a household name who constantly talks up Auburn.  

That said...

18 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

wait till OU and UT get in the league. 

12 hours ago, cbo said:

We aren't insignificant. 

For now. For years I've been screaming that Auburn is at particular risk unless we can figure out how to recruit at the top of our conference. And, as conference realignment continues, and the "super" conferences gain more membership, I think the perceived advantage of coming to an SEC school for the sake thereof will diminish, and you will see more regional kids interested in playing outside the SEC. Strictly my opinion. 

17 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Go ask anybody on the street who is a bigger/better football program: Auburn or Michigan State. About 9 out of 10 are going to say Auburn.

I think this depends on who and where you are asking, but certainly in our region more would argue that Auburn is the more prominent program. But again, just because that's true today, doesn't mean it will be tomorrow. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

No idea. Maybe it was the alignment issues that have been mentioned previously. Maybe it's a tougher because compliance put the fear of God into CBH, so much so that he was even worried about operating in the off-white. Perhaps it was both.

What happened in February certainly hurt. A lot, in my opinion, regardless of how well you think Harsin was recruiting beforehand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Casting offers? Wow! That's impressive. (not) Once a while back I saw where the average P5 team sends out around 250 "offers". Of course, most are not commitable but they are offers.

We've always got a few from outside this area. Braden Smith, Alex Kozan and Jack Driskoll come to mind. I don't see any increase in such activity.

Again, living off of data points prior to the Portal and NIL is extremely short sided and is the reason you keep failing in your argument.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Again, living off of data points prior to the Portal and NIL is extremely short sided and is the reason you keep failing in your argument.

Then what are the new data points? How many offers have the p5 teams sent out for the 2023 class? Significantly fewer than 250?

A quick look at the AU 2018 roster shows eight players from non-traditional areas. That's not including Texas and Arkansas, which are borderline normal areas for us. Are there significantly more than eight this year? That would reflect some "new normal". I'll let you do the counting.