2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

4 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

This is why we need Deion.

A lot of people seem to think that Sanders will instantly bring a long list of super prospects to Auburn. While he could hardly be worse than these last two classes, how much better he'd be is guesswork at this time.

Does he have the contacts in coaching circles to assemble a staff? This and other questions are legitimate and the people doing the hiring need to check all angles out.

On paper, Dell McGee has a much better resume than Sanders. If SEC experience matters at all, (and apparently it does, see Harsin) then Dell would be the better choice by several miles.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mikey said:

A lot of people seem to think that Sanders will instantly bring a long list of super prospects to Auburn. While he could hardly be worse than these last two classes, how much better he'd be is guesswork at this time.

Does he have the contacts in coaching circles to assemble a staff? This and other questions are legitimate and the people doing the hiring need to check all angles out.

On paper, Dell McGee has a much better resume than Sanders. If SEC experience matters at all, (and apparently it does, see Harsin) then Dell would be the better choice by several miles.

On paper,,, yes.  However, I think you are grossly underestimating the value of personality and celebrity status.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

On paper,,, yes.  However, I think you are grossly underestimating the value of personality and celebrity status.

Especially from the HC.  The HCs job is to be the figurehead and cheerleader.  Let him dictate what he wants and hire the best OV/DC he can to implement it.  I guarantee Deion will have a team full of boys that are ready to run through walls.  As far as his abilities go, you don't stay in the league for as long as he did, playing under as many DCs and teams as he did, without understanding the requirements to be there or to coach the game. I'd love to try Deion, but don't think we will 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Especially from the HC.  The HCs job is to be the figurehead and cheerleader.  Let him dictate what he wants and hire the best OV/DC he can to implement it.  I guarantee Deion will have a team full of boys that are ready to run through walls.  As far as his abilities go, you don't stay in the league for as long as he did, playing under as many DCs and teams as he did, without understanding the requirements to be there or to coach the game. I'd love to try Deion, but don't think we will 

Knowing Auburn we'll pass on Deion and hire the goat.  (Don't think we can afford the duck).

• Haha 3

Auburn has to get this hire right, not risky moves to taking "up & comers" with OU/UT coming in and the CFP expansion.  We're severely behind and the clock's ticking. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 7:24 AM, bigbird said:

I think that the '23 class will be pretty special. The staff is doing some work!

From the future…Not looking so good. Maybe things will get turned around before the end of the year, recruiting-wise, with a coaching change. 

Edited by AUINSY

50 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

From the future…Not looking so good. Maybe things will get turned around before the end of the year, recruiting-wise, with a coaching change. 

Not how things work. This ‘23 class is done for after the coaching change. All the newer guys will be transfer portal guys. These kids not gone stay committed to some guy they barely even know 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Not how things work. This ‘23 class is done for after the coaching change. All the newer guys will be transfer portal guys. These kids not gone stay committed to some guy they barely even know 

In times past assistants and in some cases former players held classes together until the new outfit was in place. We may lose a couple but if a solid hire is made and the new staff hits the ground running we could salvage what little there is to be salvaged. Agree, any big doings will have to come out of the portal. All but a very few of the '23 big dogs are already committed elsewhere.

• Like 4

First, I think NIL money will keep players committed that we want to keep. 

Second, keep in mind, if we see the same increase as last year, this year will actually see more kids enter the portal than kids who sign a scholly coming out of high school.

This past year 4100 kids enter the portal, the year before 2900.  These are kids that have already proven themselves versus high school potential.  Granted only about half change schools the rest remain at home and are probably just seeing if they can up their NIL money (I think if they enter they should have to leave it would stop the nonsense).  My point is, we can fix the OL issues right quick and I believe this is why we have been increasing the administrative staff to focus on this new avenue of recruiting that will/has become just as important as HS recruiting.  

Too late for this season, but gone are the days when you miss a class or two and it takes half a decade to become relevant again.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, trinidad tiger said:

First, I think NIL money will keep players committed that we want to keep. 

Second, keep in mind, if we see the same increase as last year, this year will actually see more kids enter the portal than kids who sign a scholly coming out of high school.

This past year 4100 kids enter the portal, the year before 2900.  These are kids that have already proven themselves versus high school potential.  Granted only about half change schools the rest remain at home and are probably just seeing if they can up their NIL money (I think if they enter they should have to leave it would stop the nonsense).  My point is, we can fix the OL issues right quick and I believe this is why we have been increasing the administrative staff to focus on this new avenue of recruiting that will/has become just as important as HS recruiting.  

Too late for this season, but gone are the days when you miss a class or two and it takes half a decade to become relevant again.  

We basically have to rebuild the O-Line from scratch with O-Line being the number one place all teams are looking for.  We might get 1 or 2 SEC Level starters out of the Portal but we won't get 5 and we might get a backup type O-Line out of the Portal that means we will need whoever is left in our O-Line room and Freshman to provide starters and depth.  I like the Portal and it will help. How many of the teams that have brought in large number of players in the Portal have brought in 5 or 6 O-line types. I will bet the answer is none.  There are not enough quality O-Line in the Portal and to many teams needing O-line to allow a complete O-line rebuild from the Portal.

We will need the portal but it is going to take portal and a couple of good HS classes to get us where we can compete with bama and UGA.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:33 PM, Sizzle said:

Most of them dont have any offer better than Auburn. The new coach will most likely take a look and see who he wants to keep as well. Its not like we’re gonna get poached by top teams for recruits.

Edited by CR

49 minutes ago, CR said:

Most of them dont have any offer better than Auburn. The new coach will most likely take a look and see who he wants to keep as well. Its not like we’re gonna get poached by top teams for recruits.

Those guys are pretty decently rated recruits, they can definitely go to a different team with more stability

13 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

To get results you have to actually go out and recruit and this staff refused to do it. They quit on the team

This ought to be a fireable offense in which said coaches don't get a single penny of their buyout. That, and not signing a single recruit on national signing day (1st week in Feb.), unless you had a full class prior to signing day in the early signing period.

But, I'm sure no one is surprised to hear this looking at the current state of Auburn's recruiting. What we be even sadder is if our recruiting was this bad and they had been out on the road trying to recruit. 

It's sad these guys are about to take millions or dollars from our football program. I gave Gus the business and wasn't happy about how he left things, but at least he had done something in the past to earn some of his money, signed solid classes, beat some decent teams, was the OC in the natty, took us to another natty, and gave back a few $ mil for the new football facility. These guys?! They left things FAR worse than when they got here, and will have $millions in their pockets after burning it all down on the way out.

Shame on them. I'd never hire a single one of them if I was a head coach or athletic director. Shameful.

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 1

Sorry if this was posted before. Was on another board and a guy said that he can confirm that the OC, DC, TE and OL coach have not left Auburn once the fall to recruit. It was then confirmed by Jay G Tate. 

How is this not cause for termination?! Please, someone explain.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

This guy was playing against the local high school last night.  Look at those numbers.  BTW this was against the #2 undefeated team in the state in 5A. So against good comp.

Edited by AUBwins

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

This guy was playing against the local high school last night.  Look at those numbers.  BTW this was against the #2 undefeated team in the state in 5A. So against good comp.

He will likely be on the short list for KY Mr Football.  The 2018 winner of Mr Football?  W'andale Robinson out of Frankfort. 

On 10/13/2022 at 4:47 PM, AuCivilEng1 said:

Sorry if this was posted before. Was on another board and a guy said that he can confirm that the OC, DC, TE and OL coach have not left Auburn once the fall to recruit. It was then confirmed by Jay G Tate. 

How is this not cause for termination?! Please, someone explain.

Have they gotten in ncaa trouble?  Are they serving in-house suspensions for recruiting violations?

9 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Have they gotten in ncaa trouble?  Are they serving in-house suspensions for recruiting violations?

Nah man just don’t care about it enough. 

10 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Nah man just don’t care about it enough. 

They don't care enough to do the job they're being compensated for?  AND no one in the Administration seems to take issue with it, I guess? 

What a sorry state of affairs.  I've heard Harsin put culture, hard work and accountability at the top of damn near ever public appearance he's made.  Yet he allows a lazy culture among his own staff and doesn't hold himself or them accountable for completely laying down and neglecting the most deficient area of this team.  :gofig: