2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

4 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

This is why we need Deion.

A lot of people seem to think that Sanders will instantly bring a long list of super prospects to Auburn. While he could hardly be worse than these last two classes, how much better he'd be is guesswork at this time.

Does he have the contacts in coaching circles to assemble a staff? This and other questions are legitimate and the people doing the hiring need to check all angles out.

On paper, Dell McGee has a much better resume than Sanders. If SEC experience matters at all, (and apparently it does, see Harsin) then Dell would be the better choice by several miles.

46 minutes ago, Mikey said:

A lot of people seem to think that Sanders will instantly bring a long list of super prospects to Auburn. While he could hardly be worse than these last two classes, how much better he'd be is guesswork at this time.

Does he have the contacts in coaching circles to assemble a staff? This and other questions are legitimate and the people doing the hiring need to check all angles out.

On paper, Dell McGee has a much better resume than Sanders. If SEC experience matters at all, (and apparently it does, see Harsin) then Dell would be the better choice by several miles.

On paper,,, yes.  However, I think you are grossly underestimating the value of personality and celebrity status.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

On paper,,, yes.  However, I think you are grossly underestimating the value of personality and celebrity status.

Especially from the HC.  The HCs job is to be the figurehead and cheerleader.  Let him dictate what he wants and hire the best OV/DC he can to implement it.  I guarantee Deion will have a team full of boys that are ready to run through walls.  As far as his abilities go, you don't stay in the league for as long as he did, playing under as many DCs and teams as he did, without understanding the requirements to be there or to coach the game. I'd love to try Deion, but don't think we will 

• Love 2

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Especially from the HC.  The HCs job is to be the figurehead and cheerleader.  Let him dictate what he wants and hire the best OV/DC he can to implement it.  I guarantee Deion will have a team full of boys that are ready to run through walls.  As far as his abilities go, you don't stay in the league for as long as he did, playing under as many DCs and teams as he did, without understanding the requirements to be there or to coach the game. I'd love to try Deion, but don't think we will 

Knowing Auburn we'll pass on Deion and hire the goat.  (Don't think we can afford the duck).

• Haha 3

Auburn has to get this hire right, not risky moves to taking "up & comers" with OU/UT coming in and the CFP expansion.  We're severely behind and the clock's ticking.