2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

See, I'd argue that your foundation is the larger part that goes mostly unnoticed allowing the elite guys to go to work.  Much like I am not part of the foundation of our company.  Our warehouse folks and every day sales folks are that.  Their efforts allow me to do my job, which is more high profile.

Nick Fairley and Cam Newton weren't foundational parts of the 2010 team at Auburn.  They were the stars, but they didn't build that roster.  The 4 year senior laden O-line, senior leaders like Kodi and Antoine Carter, those guys were the foundation.

Perhaps it clarifies things better to look at teams that *don't* have the foundation, like Gus's teams that had guys like Stidham and Derrick Brown and were still mediocre. 

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Nick Fairley and Cam Newton weren't foundational parts of the 2010 team at Auburn.  They were the stars

And the reason we won. We don't with with out them and Dyer, another 5*. The rest of the avg players are just there.

We can have "just players" we need elite NFL talent. We don't have that currently at any key position going into next year. 

Nothing wrong with 3* kids. Every school has them. You can't just rely on them abs believe they alone will build some foundation. They didn't at Clemson. The elite talent did. The 3* kids were just along for the ride and bought in

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Perhaps it clarifies things better to look at teams that *don't* have the foundation, like Gus's teams that had guys like Stidham and Derrick Brown and were still mediocre. 

The same team that went to the SECCG and beat #1 teams in back to back weeks?? 

Those players, and Kerryon, helped overcome Gus awful coaching. Also NFL talent at WR in Slayton and multiple NFL DBs that were also highly ranked.

Also, I'd reject the notion of Gus not being able to build a foundation. His players loved him and rarely if ever quit.  I hated him as a coach, but for yhe most part players played hard for him. He just had an awful offense and couldn't manage a roster

24 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

See, I'd argue that your foundation is the larger part that goes mostly unnoticed allowing the elite guys to go to work.  Much like I am not part of the foundation of our company.  Our warehouse folks and every day sales folks are that.  Their efforts allow me to do my job, which is more high profile.

Nick Fairley and Cam Newton weren't foundational parts of the 2010 team at Auburn.  They were the stars, but they didn't build that roster.  The 4 year senior laden O-line, senior leaders like Kodi and Antoine Carter, those guys were the foundation.

You're correct.

The foundational players are usually not the stars.  Championship caliber teams have stars, yes but they aren't, or haven't been, typically the stud players.  Those are the ones that put the team over the top.

• Like 2

The 2010 team was proof that a couple of generational talents like Cam Newton and Nick Fairley can win a championship with solid but not spectacular teammates. Georgia has proven (to date) that having 20% of your roster as 5 stars doesn’t guarantee a championship. I’m just ready for AU to build a roster for sustained success over several years. It has been too long since that has been the case. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You're correct.

The foundational players are usually not the stars.  Championship caliber teams have stars, yes but they aren't, or haven't been, typically the stud players.  Those are the ones that put the team over the top.

Paraphrasing Coach Dye: You need bricks but you have to have mortar to hold the bricks together. wde

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AU North said:

Paraphrasing Coach Dye: You need bricks but you have to have mortar to hold the bricks together. wde

Smart man...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

I think he's talking about in practice potentially.

I’m not familiar with Collins as my following of recruiting is pretty much limited to what I get here. Is he from Auburn high also?

1 minute ago, Jgarrett7 said:

I’m not familiar with Collins as my following of recruiting is pretty much limited to what I get here. Is he from Auburn high also?

Gardendale

Just now, Sizzle said:

Gardendale

Just learned that after asking then referring back to OP of this thread. Lol. Perhaps like brad said he means he could be going against him in practice or vs him with another team. 🤷🏽‍♂️

1 minute ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Just learned that after asking then referring back to OP of this thread. Lol. Perhaps like brad said he means he could be going against him in practice or vs him with another team. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Tbh I think he meant the latter but it’s early so hopefully it ends up being the former 

2 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Tbh I think he meant the latter but it’s early so hopefully it ends up being the former 

The tweet just didn’t make a lot of sense to me. Other than the congrats bro. Lol

Edited by Jgarrett7

Joiner’s got some friendships/connections. This from a 4 star OL. Looks like he’s gone be the Damari for the ‘23 class

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

On 1/2/2022 at 10:18 AM, Sizzle said:

Joiner’s got some friendships/connections. This from a 4 star OL. Looks like he’s gone be the Damari for the ‘23 clas

He seems to have the personality to be the class' recruiter.  In watching some of his interviews, the comes across as the guy everyone loves and can't be mad at.

1 hour ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Who?

4 star athlete from Louisiana