2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

15 hours ago, Sizzle said:

We are going to have to win in 2022 to make that happen. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Absolutely do have to win to make that happen. Right now, I don't see more than 5 wins next season and four may be more like it. We'll know more after Spring practice but as things stand right now, a winning 2022 season looks unlikely.

18 hours ago, Sizzle said:

It’s gonna have to be after the last 2 years of 20 something classes.  Gotta flatten the curve or whatever 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Absolutely do have to win to make that happen. Right now, I don't see more than 5 wins next season and four may be more like it. We'll know more after Spring practice but as things stand right now, a winning 2022 season looks unlikely.

I am glad you said that. Historically the worse people predict Auburn will be it seems like the better we play. I expect the players who stayed to play with a chip on their shoulders.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I don’t expect much this year tbh. We just don’t have the talent offensively right now. This will be like the 3rd year in a row we basically throwing out the same OL and expect different results... it’s not happening 

• Like 4

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of many who’s gonna be in Auburn on the 19th of March . That weekend is really starting to shake out nicely! War Eagle 🦅 

On 2/19/2022 at 12:06 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

I am glad you said that. Historically the worse people predict Auburn will be it seems like the better we play. I expect the players who stayed to play with a chip on their shoulders.

It better be a big chip. I remember a coach once saying "Emotions plays the first five minutes of every game, then talent takes over." So they best have them tightened up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Did we ever have a realistic shot with Hurley from Florence?

Doubtful. According to 247 the state of Alabama has 8 players in the top 100 nationally. 5 of those are commited elsewhere or dont have Auburn on their list.

Edited by CR

15 minutes ago, CR said:

Doubtful. According to 247 the stare of Alabama has 8 players in the top 100 nationally. 5 of those are commited elsewhere or dont have Auburn on their list.

Let's be honest in the years Auburn has done well with top Alabama players it is sadly in the years where Alabama does not have a lot of super highly rated players so bama goes outside of state. In state while we win a few head to head battles with bama historically they do better in Alabama. That doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to recruit these kids and build up relationships over the years but it does make sense they we also see the staff looking in places we never looked before.

Part of the reason bama and UGA prior to NIL were beating us is they won more on the field and put players at a higher percentage into the league. NIL could change that positively or negatively and sadly right now we are losing on that front which can't be blamed on athletic department as there is supposed to be a wall between athletic department and NIL.

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Let's be honest in the years Auburn has done well with top Alabama players it is sadly in the years where Alabama does not have a lot of super highly rated players so bama goes outside of state. In state while we win a few head to head battles with bama historically they do better in Alabama. That doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to recruit these kids and build up relationships over the years but it does make sense they we also see the staff looking in places we never looked before.

Part of the reason bama and UGA prior to NIL were beating us is they won more on the field and put players at a higher percentage into the league. NIL could change that positively or negatively and sadly right now we are losing on that front which can't be blamed on athletic department as there is supposed to be a wall between athletic department and NIL.

I dont disagree on some of this. But the bigger issue to me is UGA and/or Clemson may well end up with more of these players than AU. And this roster desperately needs an influx of top end talent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

In state while we win a few head to head battles with bama historically they do better in Alabama.

When we are on solid footing, we usually can expect a 4/6 split with UAT for the top 10 prospects. Nobody can sign anything until next November. We need to get with it on the in-state prospects between now and then. It's too early to write any player off, but there's a lot of work to be done.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mikey said:

When we are on solid footing, we usually can expect a 4/6 split with UAT for the top 10 prospects. Nobody can sign anything until next November. We need to get with it on the in-state prospects between now and then. It's too early to write any player off, but there's a lot of work to be done.

The bulk of the work has to be done on the field. These guys don’t want to go to a mediocre program. Put out another .500 season then these guys ain’t coming 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 7:23 PM, DAG said:

" He doesn't like to recruit." 

Was it insinuated that CBH didn't like to recruit?  I saw it mentioned that he didn't like NIL, but never that he didn't like to recruit.  I also saw it mentioned that he hadn't taken recruiting and networking with area high-school coaches as seriously as needed for SEC level talent acquisition.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, milehighfan said:

It better be a big chip. I remember a coach once saying "Emotions plays the first five minutes of every game, then talent takes over." So they best have them tightened up.

They need a chip on their shoulders and cast iron armor encasing their bodies because there ain't a whole lot to back them up if they get dinged up in the week to week grudge match of the SEC. 

37 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Was it insinuated that CBH didn't like to recruit?  I saw it mentioned that he didn't like NIL, but never that he didn't like to recruit.  I also saw it mentioned that he hadn't taken recruiting and networking with area high-school coaches as seriously as needed for SEC level talent acquisition.

Yes