2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

5 hours ago, CR said:

Doubtful. According to 247 the state of Alabama has 8 players in the top 100 nationally. 5 of those are commited elsewhere or dont have Auburn on their list.

That doesn’t mean we don’t have realistic shots at them. It means we suck at recruiting.

49 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

That doesn’t mean we don’t have realistic shots at them. It means we suck at recruiting.

IMO highly rated 4-5* recruits want assurances almost guarantees that they'll get top coaching and development and they'll have a strong shot at the draft.  These in-state players and their parents see what's going on at Clemson/UGA/LSU/AU/UAT, etc. 

Auburn most definitely has a realistic shot at them but we have to put a winning product on the field that shows massive improvement.  Then these 4-5*'s need to see we're moving in a positive direction and have stability.  Until that happens we'll be an afterthought compared to the elite teams coming after them right now. 

It's hard as hell to recruit highly rated player in the midst of a coaching carousel the last couple of years + a poor job of putting players in the NFL + a mediocre to poor W/L record.

Edited by JerryAU

2 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Was it insinuated that CBH didn't like to recruit?  I saw it mentioned that he didn't like NIL, but never that he didn't like to recruit.  I also saw it mentioned that he hadn't taken recruiting and networking with area high-school coaches as seriously as needed for SEC level talent acquisition.

It was flat out said that he doesn't like doing a lot of the things that are required to recruit at an elite level in this region, and there hasn't been anything to definitively dispute that. 

Now, he might be adapting and that would be very exciting. But I didn't see anyone say that the guy who finished first in his conference in recruiting every year he was head coach at Boise flat out doesn't like recruiting. Just that the skills required to recruit talent from a vast, talent-sparse region to a G5 school in the mountains might not directly translate to recruiting SE blue chips to an SEC football factory. I'd say the results so far speak for themselves. 

Here's to adapting and overcoming.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Sorry, I don't know how to post the 247 profile like E used to. But it looks like this dude is blowing up with offers. 

https://247sports.com/player/malik-benson-46129509/

https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers/news/auburn-offers-highly-coveted-juco-wide-receiver-malik-benson/

• Like 2

Man seems like every DB we're recruiting we're in great shape. Zac is a beast. Hope he can lock down his guys quick and help us out on offense, lol

On 2/23/2022 at 12:22 PM, JerryAU said:

Was it insinuated that CBH didn't like to recruit?  I saw it mentioned that he didn't like NIL, but never that he didn't like to recruit.  I also saw it mentioned that he hadn't taken recruiting and networking with area high-school coaches as seriously as needed for SEC level talent acquisition.

On 2/23/2022 at 12:59 PM, DAG said:

Yes

Feel like ppl are conflating these being used and turning them into something else. 

I don't see Harsin not liking recruiting.  The first thing he said when he came here, at the podium, was how important recruiting is.  I think his problem is he doesn't understand it or thinks he can do it differently than literally everyone.  Just b/c he's not building relationships with AL/GA HS coaches doesn't mean he doesn't like to do it...just that doesn't think it is important.

I'm hoping that mindset can change a little bit and he realize it's important.  For the 1st time he went out and visited coaches.  That seems to have gone well in Montgomery, but not going to other places until the very end and also not going to some places at all has brought some push back.  I hope he sees the payoff in Montgomery and can apply it elsewhere.

He can go to countless HS and not visit with players.  Even during COVID, there weren't any rules again him meeting coaches for breakfast, lunch or dinner or whatever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

don't see Harsin not liking recruiting

Somebody legit posted he doesn't think we need top recruits in the CBH mega thread. That was what I was referring to. I guess I should've explained that better. But based on the recruiting going on in this thread, that doesn't seem to be the case. I was just being petty.

I also agree with everything you said in your post. I think this class has amazing potential.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Somebody legit posted he doesn't think we need top recruits in the CBH mega thread. That was what I was referring to. I guess I should've explained that better. But based on the recruiting going on in this thread, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I saw you're post in quotes above that and understood you were just the messenger.  I was just trying to get your post in my response and trying to talk about them....not that this was your view.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Feel like ppl are conflating these being used and turning them into something else. 

I don't see Harsin not liking recruiting.  The first thing he said when he came here, at the podium, was how important recruiting is.  I think his problem is he doesn't understand it or thinks he can do it differently than literally everyone.  Just b/c he's not building relationships with AL/GA HS coaches doesn't mean he doesn't like to do it...just that doesn't think it is important.

I'm hoping that mindset can change a little bit and he realize it's important.  For the 1st time he went out and visited coaches.  That seems to have gone well in Montgomery, but not going to other places until the very end and also not going to some places at all has brought some push back.  I hope he sees the payoff in Montgomery and can apply it elsewhere.

He can go to countless HS and not visit with players.  Even during COVID, there weren't any rules again him meeting coaches for breakfast, lunch or dinner or whatever.

As long as he doesn't think he can go toe to toe with the top programs in this conference with a roster packed with 3*'s, then I'll feel better for a while.  As long as he realizes recruiting in the South is cut-throat and just as competitive as the work on the field on Saturday's, then I'll give him some slack. 

I still think his not visiting Thompson or Catholic Montg after 14 months is inexcusable, BUT if he can pull equal talent out of those Georgia hot beds, then I'll ease up on my negative opinion with his initial recruiting approach.  He has a chance to redeem himself and the latest news looks good.  I'll also add that I think someone in the AD told the beat writers and AU guys covering our recruiting to open up the airwaves and pump out some positive news for us. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

As long as he doesn't think he can go toe to toe with the top programs in this conference with a roster packed with 3*'s, then I'll feel better for a while.  As long as he realizes recruiting in the South is cut-throat and just as competitive as the work on the field on Saturday's, then I'll give him some slack. 

I still think his not visiting Thompson or Catholic Montg after 14 months is inexcusable, BUT if he can pull equal talent out of those Georgia hot beds, then I'll ease up on my negative opinion with his initial recruiting approach.  He has a chance to redeem himself and the latest news looks good.  I'll also add that I think someone in the AD told the beat writers and AU guys covering our recruiting to open up the airwaves and pump out some positive news for us. 

Has he even visited any of these schools in Georgia?  If he's not going to many AL schools, I can't imagine he's working his way through GA.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Has he even visited any of these schools in Georgia?  If he's not going to many AL schools, I can't imagine he's working his way through GA.

Excellent question.  He chose to visit Carver Montgomery but skipped Catholic Montg, why?  

At some point you gotta ask what the heck has he been doing all this time for some HC's in this state to have never heard from him or seen him face to face?  I've seen some posters mention covid limitations as a pass for him, but recruiting is 365/24/7 down here and when a dozen out-of-state HC's find the time for drive or fly to Alabama to get a look at this year's bumper crop of talent and to get to know the HS coaches, one would automatically think the Auburn HC would be front and center with the likes of Dabo & Kirby. 

51 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Excellent question.  He chose to visit Carver Montgomery but skipped Catholic Montg, why?  

At some point you gotta ask what the heck has he been doing all this time for some HC's in this state to have never heard from him or seen him face to face?  I've seen some posters mention covid limitations as a pass for him, but recruiting is 365/24/7 down here and when a dozen out-of-state HC's find the time for drive or fly to Alabama to get a look at this year's bumper crop of talent and to get to know the HS coaches, one would automatically think the Auburn HC would be front and center with the likes of Dabo & Kirby. 

Right.  There is no limitation when a college coach can go to a High School.  He can go anytime he wants, he just can't visit a kid or "bump" into him.  It's not like Alabama ever really shut down.  He could have been out visiting people coaches off campus or crazy events like GA's coaching awards ceremony.  There would be *some* hurt feelings in the state b/c it def probably is near impossible for him to meet every one...but I feel like he could have done more.  

I just hope he see the benefit from the guys at Carver that seem to be pumped he came by and does more of it.

This is some exciting stuff from Duke! Hope it’s gonna pay off for Auburn 

• Like 3

Anyone have an idea on who are realistic QB for this class is? Vizzina and Lonergan are the two I've heard, but Vizz seems to want Clemson and I'm not sure what's up with Lonergan. Only other names I see are the Cali. 5 stars that we likely have zero chance with. 

2 hours ago, toddc said:

This is some exciting stuff from Duke! Hope it’s gonna pay off for Auburn 

Care to summarize? I canceled my membership after the folks who run that site started showing their true colors towards Harsin. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Care to summarize? I canceled my membership after the folks who run that site started showing their true colors towards Harsin. 

Spoke to CBH at the UnderArmour camp, as well as some recruits who had good things to say. Said AU is making some noise in the Atlanta area and with some Alabama recruits. Sorry so vague but I don’t want to post too much premium content. Maybe I can tell more in a day or two. Just seems like CBH has gotten the message about recruiting.

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 3

I'd say the message CBH got was he needed to publicize every little tidbit about AU's recruiting progress.  He seems to be a private, head down, get the job done type person who does his own thing without much fanfare.  Now we're seeing tons of recruiting info making the headlines and changing the narrative quickly on this coaching staff.  

Bottom line, Harsin has not ignored recruiting and has been making inroads for a long while to get this type of attention we're seeing recently.  :coffee:

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

I'd say the message CBH got was he needed to publicize every little tidbit about AU's recruiting progress.  He seems to be a private, head down, get the job done type person who does his own thing without much fanfare.  Now we're seeing tons of recruiting info making the headlines and changing the narrative quickly on this coaching staff.  

Bottom line, Harsin has not ignored recruiting and has been making inroads for a long while to get this type of attention we're seeing recently.  :coffee:

Exactly!

• Like 1