2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

36 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

I'd say the message CBH got was he needed to publicize every little tidbit about AU's recruiting progress.  He seems to be a private, head down, get the job done type person who does his own thing without much fanfare.  Now we're seeing tons of recruiting info making the headlines and changing the narrative quickly on this coaching staff.  

Bottom line, Harsin has not ignored recruiting and has been making inroads for a long while to get this type of attention we're seeing recently.  :coffee:

This is not a dig at Harsin. For several years now, I've had to reference Simon and Garfunkel's tune, "Slip Sliding Away" in the recruiting forum. In March and April our recruiting looks great. We are "in on" a number of top recruits. Some even commit to AU. Then, as November draws near, many peel off and we finish second, which equals last in recruiting.

Take this coming year's junior class of linebackers for example. Riley is the only one who was a take from the get-go. Originally we had two higher ranked prospects committed. Then one de-committed and signed with bammer, another de-committed and went to North Carolina (IIRC). Steiner and Tisdol while nice prospects, were holla' back guys we offered after we'd lost out on our first choices.

It's good that Harsin seems to have stepped it up a notch but I've learned not to get too excited about a given class until the signatures roll in.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

I'd say the message CBH got was he needed to publicize every little tidbit about AU's recruiting progress.  He seems to be a private, head down, get the job done type person who does his own thing without much fanfare.  Now we're seeing tons of recruiting info making the headlines and changing the narrative quickly on this coaching staff.  

Bottom line, Harsin has not ignored recruiting and has been making inroads for a long while to get this type of attention we're seeing recently.  :coffee:

Yes! I think this is 💯 correct. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pat Fossum said:

"We"? Are you on the damn team? Only thing that sucks is your attitude/posts. Auburn is going to be just fine.

🌞💪

2 hours ago, JerryAU said:

As it turns out, they aren't lazy and they do care about pursuing top prospects

Anyone thinking otherwise...well, nevermind.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, DAG said:

I feel like this will be a huge class and the pivot point to the CBH era. 

I truly hope you are correct because most of our offensive line in 2023 will be filled with true freshman

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2023 O-Line will have some of our younger guys and Portal players but a great 2023 class will position us for the future.

9 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

2023 O-Line will have some of our younger guys and Portal players but a great 2023 class will position us for the future.

What will it take to be a great class? Top 5? Top 10? Will top 15 do it?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't have a number on what I would consider a great class. Since this is about O-Line a great class would be a minimum of 4 but 5 would be better Freshman O-Line 2  are OT and all at least high 3* or better. In addition at least 2 Portal O-Line that are SEC ready starters.

Another words enough Portal to fix immediate need and enough freshmen to start building up numbers. Then each class there after has at least 4 O-line with good balance between OT and IOL.

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

Great top 5. Very good top 10. Good top 15. Top 5 seems very unrealistic for us, as of now, in today's landscape with UGA and Clemson's rises plus A&M's recruiting momentum.

I believe Chiz got us top 5, but that was different times. More importantly than rankings though, a class that fills needs (OL and DL) and isn't filled with busts.

• Like 1

Go get him Coach Etheridge

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sizzle said:

He’s in the ‘24 class 

I didn’t see a 24 class thread. Might have missed it though.

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

We ever gonna get a commit again or is Harsin going for a bold new walk-on only strategy?

The big Junior Day is the 19th. We'll know soon after.

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

We ever gonna get a commit again or is Harsin going for a bold new walk-on only strategy?

He's too busy having affairs with staffers...

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, AUght2win said:

He's still on vacation

• Haha 1