2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

16 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

It's only June 8

Recruiting isnt the same anymore. They only got the rest of this month and July to get work done. By august they’ll be mostly focused on getting ready for the season. Some guys already took their official visit to Auburn. Everything in recruiting is fast forwarded now

23 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Pretty sure that's going to be a question that doesn't have to be answered.

But yes.

Truthfully, we should be worried right now. Harsin made some mistakes with the way he was handling things his first year on the job (which I attribute to the fact that most of his coaching career was spent at his alma mater, where he is a revered son and somewhat immune to the politics of dealing with boosters), but I've heard from multiple sources that he remedied that pretty quickly. During that same conversation in which I got the tidbit about the 26th, I was informed that the NIL money is there, but compliance is holding us up while the rest of the SEC is racing past us.

I may or may not have said a few choice words about Rich McGlynn at that point.

None of that changes my opinion that we'll finish in the top 15, however.

I thought the compliance brakes were off with the end of the bball investigation…Rich deserves a ton of credit for how he’s carried us through two BS “scandals” but he’s going to have to realize he’s killing us if he’s still not letting us compete.

Just had a sickening thought--what if stonewalling our NIL program was part of the settlement with the NCAA to avoid any worse punishment than what we got? 🤢 And of course UAT got off scot free for doing the same 🤬ing thing without having to make ANY concessions.

Edited by AUwent

9 hours ago, AUwent said:

Just had a sickening thought--what if stonewalling our NIL program was part of the settlement with the NCAA to avoid any worse punishment than what we got? 🤢 And of course UAT got off scot free for doing the same 🤬ing thing without having to make ANY concessions.

I can't see that as a realistic possibility. I mean, it's obviously not like I know for sure or anything, but that seems far fetched to me.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Recruiting isnt the same anymore. They only got the rest of this month and July to get work done. By august they’ll be mostly focused on getting ready for the season. Some guys already took their official visit to Auburn. Everything in recruiting is fast forwarded now

Duke wrote today that a DL is on commit watch. We'll see how the month goes. 

31 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Duke wrote today that a DL is on commit watch. We'll see how the month goes. 

Must be referencing a Hunter Osborne to Clemson commitment.  Appears imminent with him cancelling the AU visit this weekend after visiting Clemson last weekend with Dabo’s no visit rule.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dilligas said:

Must be referencing a Hunter Osborne to Clemson commitment.  Appears imminent with him cancelling the AU visit this weekend after visiting Clemson last weekend with Dabo’s no visit rule.

I think he's referring to someone else.. one of Sizzles guys

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I'll have to go research his guys, but guessing Joshua Horton. At least hope so because if he jumps in it could entice Hughley and Thurman to pull the trigger 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Ok thanks.  I was just guessing.

17 hours ago, au302 said:

I'll have to go research his guys, but guessing Joshua Horton. At least hope so because if he jumps in it could entice Hughley and Thurman to pull the trigger 

Hughley and Horton and Thurman on official visits this weekend. Need the staff to do some magic.

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 3

Dukes' Scoops: The latest on CJ Allen and more

Jun 10, 12:34 PM

Dukes' Scoops 6/10/22

CJ Allen likes Auburn a lot

Lamar County (GA) 4-star linebacker CJ Allen is one of the most sought after players in the country. He recently received a boost in the 247sports rankings and is now the third-rated linebacker in the nation. Yesterday, recruiting guru Steve Wiltfong gave UGA a crystal ball following Allen's official visit to UGA. I was told by a source with knowledge that UGA's top competition for Allen is Auburn. I was also told that the Tigers can make up serious ground on the Bulldogs by knocking their official visit out of the park. The word is that Allen, while on his visit to UGA, let it be known that Auburn was in serious contention and was adamant about not making a decision without visiting Auburn. Allen, who values a hometown feel and relationships, has a great relationship with Auburn linebackers coach Christian Robinson and is looking forward to visiting. I do agree that UGA leads at this point, but there is no doubt in my mind that with a homerun visit Auburn can pull even. Stay tuned.

LIMITED-TIME OFFER: 60% OFF AUBURN UNDERCOVER SUBSCRIPTION

Big Weekend for Horton

Sponsored Content

Search ads

Langston Hughes (GA) 3-star defensive lineman Joshua Horton is a major target for Auburn and is moving up the recruitng boards of multiple SEC schools according to intel. Horton took his first official visit to UCF last week and was "blown away." Horton told Auburn Undercover that regardless of what offers he gets ,UCF would be a contender based on them being the first offer he received and his relationship with defensive coordinator Travis Williams, who he's been familiar with since Williams' wife taught Horton in elementary school. Florida is pushing hard for a visit and Horton is listening as well. With all that being said, sources tell me that Auburn is Horton's leader and that a good visit could get the commitment conversation going. Defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh has been consistently communicating with Horton and is somebody that Horton felt "saw me day one and knew he wanted me." The visit to Auburn is so important to Horton that even members of his family and inner circle will be visiting Auburn on their own dime just to check things out from their perspective, including his current Langston Hughes defensive line coach and his little league coach who Horton considers a mentor. From everything I'm hearing, Auburn sits in a great position with Horton.

16COMMENTS

Auburn Looking for Certain Types

Auburn is leaning heavily into a specific profile of player that they are recruiting at each position. If you notice, there is commonality in the types of players they are recruiting for each role and staff is making recruiting decisions based on how well they fit that role. For example, at linebacker the profile there is a 6'1 to 6'2 athletic linebacker with some "thump." A true 3-down backer. Exceptions can be made on height for exceptional athleticism/instincts i.e. 4-star linebacker Lewis Carter of Tampa Catholic (FL.) Carter may be listed at 6' even, but he is so dynamic athletically that the height doesn't matter as much. At receiver the biggest need is a rangy 6'2-ish outside threat. Conversely, the number one receiver on Auburn's board is thought to be 4-star receiver Karmello Englishwho is only 5'11 but has traits that can change games. At running back the preference this year is to bring in a smaller shifty back to pair with a big bruiser. Jeremiah Cobb is thought to be the Tigers top target to fill the first role and UCLA commit Rodrick Robinson is thought to be the top choice in the latter. The Tigers have a sleeper prospect they like a lot in the role of bruiser that I am not at liberty to speak on yet, but you will see some movement in running back targets soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Auburn kicked butt on visits this weekend. The following I feel comfortable calling Auburn leans:

4* Edge - Keldric Faulk

3* DL - Joshua Horton

4* TE - Jelani Thurman

4* OT - Bo Hughley

4* OL - DJ Chester

4* DL - Rueben Bain (50/50 with Miami but it sounds like we might be trending upwards)

• Like 5
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Zeek said:

Auburn kicked butt on visits this weekend. The following I feel comfortable calling Auburn leans:

4* Edge - Keldric Faulk

3* DL - Joshua Horton

4* TE - Jelani Thurman

4* OT - Bo Hughley

4* OL - DJ Chester

4* DL - Rueben Bain (50/50 with Miami but it sounds like we might be trending upwards)

Would be amazing if we could sweep Langston Hughes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Would be amazing if we could sweep Langston Hughes

Yup especially considering I think they have a 2024 kid or two we're interested in so that would be a nice little pipeline 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Zeek said:

4* Edge - Keldric Faulk

3* DL - Joshua Horton

4* TE - Jelani Thurman

4* OT - Bo Hughley

4* OL - DJ Chester

It seems like lately we have been seeing a lot of good news on the recruiting front where we lead for some very good players. Here you have two 2 O-Line and 2 D-Line (Iam including edge as D-Line) with possible a 3rd DL in Bain and I have seen other posts with other players like Ramil  and a few others on the O-Line. It appears we may finally be getting the type of Trench players we have been looking for especially on the O-Line. 

While I love seeing this I have to admit I really want to see some of them say they are committed to Auburn. Do we have any tentative commitment dates for any O-Line or D-Line we are currently leading for? and if so and when? 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2022 at 4:32 PM, Sizzle said:

Exactly. Six months to get everybody we need and only a couple months left where they can primarily focus on recruiting. We need to get moving.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It seems like lately we have been seeing a lot of good news on the recruiting front where we lead for some very good players. Here you have two 2 O-Line and 2 D-Line (Iam including edge as D-Line) with possible a 3rd DL in Bain and I have seen other posts with other players like Ramil  and a few others on the O-Line. It appears we may finally be getting the type of Trench players we have been looking for especially on the O-Line. 

While I love seeing this I have to admit I really want to see some of them say they are committed to Auburn. Do we have any tentative commitment dates for any O-Line or D-Line we are currently leading for? and if so and when? 

I'll try to make a list of projected commitment time frames but a lot of them are up in the air. Some guys have flat out said they want to see how the team looks. 

The last weekend in July is Big Cat. There are two guys I think make their decision by the end of this month (Chester and Glenn).

I also like where we're at with 4* RB Cobb. Even after an OV to Clemson he is still an Auburn lean before taking his OV here. That's good news.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Zeek said:

4* Edge - Keldric Faulk

3* DL - Joshua Horton

4* TE - Jelani Thurman

4* OT - Bo Hughley

4* OL - DJ Chester

What about the running back? Cobb 

I would love to pull him in.

• Like 1

Just now, toddc said:

What about the running back? Cobb 

I would love to pull him in.

Saw it after my question 

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Very intrigued but also anxious about the OL class. Seems like insiders feel really good about Chester. I get the vibe that Mcelderry and Hughley are ours if Harsin isn't canned. Been quiet on Ramil but seems like we get him if we push. Connor Lew is a wildcard. Just interesting times. Wedin is now predicted to MSU, which is telling imo

Who could be Auburn's next commitment?

Running back Jeremiah Cobb is a major Auburn target.

As we enter two more big recruiting weekends at Auburn to finish of June, the Tigers two 2023 verbals.

But, more could be coming soon.

Who are the top candidates to be Auburn’s next commitment? Here are some players of note ….

***DJ Chester, OL, McDonough (Ga.) Eagle’s Landing Christian

ON3 CONSENSUS RANKING: No. 30 recruit in Georgia.

411: The Tigers were the first visit on his official visit calendar but at this time, nothing else is set up. The On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine favors Bryan Harsin’s program (41.2 percent) big over the field, with Florida State being the next closest (18.5 percent). Auburn offensive line coach Will Friend targeted Chester early and that relationship could pay dividends for the Tigers. More visits to other schools are coming but you have to feel good about where Auburn sits right now.

(***OFFICIAL VISIT SCOOP FROM THIS WEEKEND IN THE WAR ROOM***)

The Tigers are trending for some key in-state recruits

***Jeremiah Cobb of Montgomery (Ala.) Catholic

ON3 CONSENSUS RANKING: No. 7 running back in the country.

411: Cobb recently took an official to Clemson and will now officially visit Auburn on Friday. Behind the scenes, we continue to hear he has a great relationship with Auburn running backs coach Cadillac Williams and that is a huge key to this recruitment. That Williams has been there, done that at both Auburn and in the NFL resonates with Cobb. The chance to play for Cadillac is huge here. That can’t be overstated. But it’s not the only key factor that seems to be working in Auburn’s favor. According to our intel, proximity to home also is big.

***Karmello English, Phenix City (Ala.) Central

ON3 CONSENSUS RANKING: No. 130 recruit in the country.

411: Auburn is the favorite with programs such as Kentucky and Alabama also involved. English announced last Friday he will make his commitment July 2. He was on an official visit to Kentucky at the time he shared that info. English hasn’t taken an official visit to Auburn yet, but per Auburn Live’s Jeff Lee look for that to happen before he announces. Keep an eye on Auburn getting him in for a mid-week visit around June 21. Some close to English view Auburn as the team to beat. We agree.

Auburn should do well on the defensive line this cycle

***Keldric Faulk, edge, Highland Home (Ala.)

ON3 CONSENSUS RANKING: No. 62 recruit in the country.

411: Faulk is a priority target for the Tigers and after his official visit to Auburn this past weekend it sure feels like Harsin and Co. are in a great spot. Faulks is a small-town country kid who seems to fit the profile — both athletically and personality wise — of what Auburn wants.  Additionally, he’s tight with Auburn edge coach Roc Bellantoni and defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh. Faulk, who is on pace to graduate in December, said the main schools in his recruitment are Auburn, Clemson, Florida and Florida State. Several people in the know think Auburn is in a strong spot. Faulk plans to be back in Auburn for Big Cat Weekend in late July. He might shut things down not long after that.

***Brock Glenn, QB, Memphis Lausanne Collegiate School

ON3 CONSENSUS RANKING: No. 23 quarterback in the country.

411: Auburn offered Glenn this spring and he has since seen his recruitment blow up largely do to a strong Elite 11 showing. Right now, the Tigers lead for Glenn in the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine (94.3 percent) but while schools such as Florida State and TCU also are in the mix it was the offer from Ohio State last week that got everyone’s attention. Yet the Buckeyes also are involved with Baylor quarterback commit Austin Novosad and he’ll officially visit them this weekend. For now, you’d have to still consider Auburn the favorite.

One again, Georgia is on the Tigers’ minds

***Joshua Horton, DT, Fairborn (Ga.) Langston Hughes

ON3 CONSENSUS RANKING: No. 56 recruit in Georgia.

411: Auburn was on Horton early and that has the Tigers very much in the game. North Carolina and Tennessee are two others involved, but keep an eye on UCF. We continue to hear the Knights are in this recruitment more than many realize. That said, Auburn has several things working in its factor. For one thing, the Tigers were among his first big offers. He has visited a bunch and likes it there. And, of course, 4-star safety Terrance Love, a close friend and high school teammate, already is on the Auburn commit list. Horton will officially visit North Carolina later this month and more officials could happen. He appears to be in no hurry to commit but Auburn will continue to push. Forget about Horton’s 3-star rating; Auburn loves him.

***RyQueze McElderry, OL, Anniston (Ala.)

ON3 CONSENSUS RANKING: No. 22 recruit in the state of Alabama.

411: McElderry is a longtime Georgia commit, but Auburn is making a serious run and he’s nearing a final decision. He officially visited the Tigers in late May and by all accounts that gave Auburn a serious boost. It sounds like McElderry isn’t far away from finalizing things. It’s a toss up right now with Auburn battling hard. 

(***OFFICIAL VISIT SCOOP FROM THIS WEEKEND IN THE WAR ROOM***)

Four-star linebacker Jaiden Ausberry received a Crystal Ball pick to Notre Dame. While this would be unfortunate, I wouldn't melt down if this happens. It would be a pretty clear sign he doesn't want to follow his brother. Auburn has been nothing but great to this kid from the very fist time we saw him with his brother.

It's not over yet and the article about his crystal ball didn't even sound all that confident.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Four-star linebacker Jaiden Ausberry received a Crystal Ball pick to Notre Dame. While this would be unfortunate, I wouldn't melt down if this happens. It would be a pretty clear sign he doesn't want to follow his brother. Auburn has been nothing but great to this kid from the very fist time we saw him with his brother.

It's not over yet and the article about his crystal ball didn't even sound all that confident.

Marcus Freeman ain’t no joke when it comes to recruiting so if Ausberry commits I wouldn’t expect a flip later on down the line

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

ND has a ton of hype right now.  Think he's been a big lean to them for a bit