2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Tomarrion Parker to PSU.  

Sucks we couldn't ever get back into it with him, even after UGA stopped recruiting him.  Getting 1 of 3 seems like a loss

Parker didn't have an invitation to officially visit AU, Bama or UGA and PSU is the only official he has taken. Does that tell you anything?

• Thanks 1

Auburn is currently 75th in this recruiting class. I expect us to add Glenn, Cobb, English, James, Faulk, and Carter in the next month or so; which would move us all the way to 18th as of now. The ball will get rolling sooner than later.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Auburn is currently 75th in this recruiting class. I expect us to add Glenn, Cobb, English, James, Faulk, and Carter in the next month or so; which would move us all the way to 18th as of now. The ball will get rolling sooner than later.

So everyone else is going to just sit still for the next month and not take any commitments themselves? 🙃

1 minute ago, metafour said:

So everyone else is going to just sit still for the next month and not take any commitments themselves? 🙃

Haha clearly not but how can someone project that? But we would be ranked that high with a similar total number of recruits as the teams around us so it is apples-apples.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Haha clearly not but how can someone project that? But we would be ranked that high with a similar total number of recruits as the teams around us so it is apples-apples.

Are you not holding the current commitments of the teams in that range as a constant, while adding to our total commitments?

You can't project what everyone else's commitment list will look like, which is what makes saying "oh after we add so and so we'll be 18th" silly. For all you know all of those teams might also add 3-4 4* of their own during that same time-frame...in which case their total points would be far greater than what you are holding as a constant.

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, metafour said:

Are you not holding the current commitments of the teams in that range as a constant, while adding to our total commitments?

You can't project what everyone else's commitment list will look like, which is what makes saying "oh after we add so and so we'll be 18th" silly. For all you know all of those teams might also add 3-4 4* of their own during that same time-frame...in which case their total points would be far greater than what you are holding as a constant.

It is silly just the closest to a projection I can do without digging into who might add who for every team in that top range. I guess looking at average ratings would be a little better but like you said it's hard to assume who other teams will add. We won't know where we sit nationally for a long time but if we can get the kids we're in a good spot for I see a top 15 finish.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

It is silly just the closest to a projection I can do without digging into who might add who for every team in that top range. I guess looking at average ratings would be a little better but like you said it's hard to assume who other teams will add. We won't know where we sit nationally for a long time but if we can get the kids we're in a good spot for I see a top 15 finish.

Well, it seems that it wouldn’t be unreasonable to ask you do a deep dive on the top 100 colleges as well so we can have a more accurate description.  Could you do that by Monday please?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I agree.  It's not the end of the world, but if we can't compete instate, we're going to really struggle.  Especially with how much emphasis the staff put on '23 kids during the '22 recruiting calendar. 

We'll see how we end up.  I didn't think we'd get most of them, but def hoped for more than 4.  We'll have to dominate surrounding states if Harsin wants to have a good recruiting class.

It’s not e end of the world but that’s a big time red flag. If we can pull some big time recruits from Georgia or south Florida that would help a lot but I don’t see us realistically beating out UGA for Georgia talent.
Auburn extending its recruiting range into more than just the south is cool and all but I’d rather get the southern players rather than 3 stars from Idaho who have “culture”

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

It’s not e end of the world but that’s a big time red flag. If we can pull some big time recruits from Georgia or south Florida that would help a lot but I don’t see us realistically beating out UGA for Georgia talent.
Auburn extending its recruiting range into more than just the south is cool and all but I’d rather get the southern players rather than 3 stars from Idaho who have “culture”

I've heard the recruiting gurus say this class will be determined by how well we do this yr. Problem with that is by the time we get to end of the season , most big-time prospects will be committed.  Early signing in December speeds things up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JerryAU said:

It's worse than a problem this year. 

This is an unprecedented year for in-state talent, the State is loaded! Of the top 10 players in-state, 7 are 5*'s.  

Clemson, UGA, Florida, aTm have all been beating down the doors for these guys. 

The loaded state was one reason I had tops to push near a top 10 class.  But seems we're getting beating out for 75% or more of the top players.  I'm not sure we can count on another LSU type school having a melty and picking up 3-4 kids really late to prop up our class

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

who have “culture”

😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I've heard the recruiting gurus say this class will be determined by how well we do this yr. Problem with that is by the time we get to end of the season , most big-time prospects will be committed.  Early signing in December speeds things up.

That's just the way it's gonna be with the nuclear bomb we set off. We can get 20 commits in the next week, but it won't matter if the season goes badly and the staffs gone. I hear you're argument about guys committing elsewhere, but if we're to believe the sites, they think AU will get a good haul if we win because there are a lot of guys in wait and see mode who really like the staff, but gotta see. Ausberry, Hughley, Mcelderry, Ramil, and DL targets off the top of my head 

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Obviously no matter the opinion of others we will be better with 4 more commits than we are now.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Tomarrion Parker to PSU.  

Sucks we couldn't ever get back into it with him, even after UGA stopped recruiting him.  Getting 1 of 3 seems like a loss

uga and bama passed on him. Seems to be some "issues" with him. 

• Like 2

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Right, I mentioned UGA.  IDK what issues, but we're not better than UGA/Bama's leftovers.

Be interesting to see how he does at PSU

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Right, I mentioned UGA.  IDK what issues, but we're not better than UGA/Bama's leftovers.

Be interesting to see how he does at PSU

I do believe that he got upset with AU because they didn't call him on the first day of the contact period a couple weeks ago. Thing is, AU did call. Then he goes something like this, well you should have called me multiple times till I answered. Stuff like this to everyone. When Kigby stops putting up with your crap, you know the kid has some serious baggage. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I do believe that he got upset with AU because they didn't call him on the first day of the contact period a couple weeks ago. Thing is, AU did call. Then he goes something like this, well you should have called me multiple times till I answered. Stuff like this to everyone. When Kigby stops putting up with your crap, you know the kid has some serious baggage. 

Thought UGA dropped him b/c they got who they wanted.  Wasn't sure about Bama.

He seems to get upset & wasn't happy we didn't visit him earlier in the year.  TBQH, I'm not sure we're above only calling a kid once then stopping and acting like that's enough.  It's not like we have too many other T100 kids beating down our doors....especially at EDGE where we need as many as we can get.

Bama/UGA have the luxury of dropping kids that are a little extra

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 6

Penn State has an extremely good track-record with evaluating and developing Edge rushers and DE's (look at the last 3 or 4 NFL drafts for proof). Regardless of what Bama or Georgia do (both programs have the luxury of picking and choosing at that position), I find it hard to believe that he's good enough for Penn State but too much of a "problem" for Auburn.

The fact of the matter is, Bryan Harsin needs to start building some momentum - particularly instate where it is quite frankly getting very embarrassing. These kids look around to their peers; and landing a Top 100 instate kid would have at least shown something to the rest of the kids in this class.

The whole "oh he's a bit of a diva" thing makes even less sense considering the whole Marquis Robinson saga.

• Like 7
  • Dislike 1

Parker is the type of guy you still recruit hard and try to bring in and see if the “culture” straightens him out. And if he doesn’t work out then that’s on him but at least we tried. He’s a beast on the field and he’s the type of player we need. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Those two can cherry pick whomever they want, they have the luxury of right of first refusal with carte blanc access to the top talent in the country.  Auburn can't be choosy. 

With the transfer portal in place why not heavily pursue this kid, make him a top priority and get him to Auburn, if he doesn't work out tell him to hit the portal?  

• Like 1

With the amount of in state talent this cycle, our staff is dropping the ball.   Embarrassing where we currently are with recruiting.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Thought UGA dropped him b/c they got who they wanted.  Wasn't sure about Bama.

He seems to get upset & wasn't happy we didn't visit him earlier in the year.  TBQH, I'm not sure we're above only calling a kid once then stopping and acting like that's enough.  It's not like we have too many other T100 kids beating down our doors....especially at EDGE where we need as many as we can get.

Bama/UGA have the luxury of dropping kids that are a little extra

The first go around, when Eason, Watts, and Harsin ghosted him, we royally screwed that up. Then allegedly Brumbaugh, Roc, and even Harsin recruited and apologized their asses off to him in the spring. Whether we were ever legitimately back in it I do not know. Probably not, but the story then goes that he got pissed again at Roc and Brumbaugh because they were only able to make it out to one of his spring practices, and dropped us again.

20 minutes ago, au302 said:

The first go around, when Eason, Watts, and Harsin ghosted him, we royally screwed that up.

What is this part of the story?

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What is this part of the story?

It seems complicated with the timeline of the Harsin/Nix fiasco and Harsin having to fight to save his job, but basically boiled down those three supposedly ghosted the guy for a long time (months I believe). There's probably a lot more to the story, but as much as I like Harsin it was definitely an amateur move. I'm sure there's somebody in here that would know more of the details with the timeline and all that

• Like 1

It is disappointing to know that we are now at the point to where we are hoping UGA lands even better players so we can have the guys they ask to decommit because they aren't good enough.

I thought we were killing it with recruiting for this class, or has the outlook changed that fast for us?

• Like 2