2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I just wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to let Friend go, and bring in an NFL OL coach.

Now you have an OC/QB coach and an OL coach to bring NFL type experience to Harsin's staff, and it might help for recruits to see that especially for OL and RBs.

Maybe but as many have said relationships count we would be starting over with many of these kids that Friend has been recruiting for over a year. There are pluses and minus with both options we just need to see what happens after Davis arrives.

11 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Maybe but as many have said relationships count we would be starting over with many of these kids that Friend has been recruiting for over a year.

From what folks are saying, though, it sounds like Friend hasn't actually been doing that to a level that justifies retaining him. 

We've seen a lot of recruiting pics lately. I've seen Bedell, Caddy, Mason, Harsin, Etheridge, Reed, Eason, Kiesau...

...but I'm not sure I've seen Friend, Watts or Schmedding. Maybe I just missed them, but other guys have shown up consistently. 

42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

From what folks are saying, though, it sounds like Friend hasn't actually been doing that to a level that justifies retaining him. 

We've seen a lot of recruiting pics lately. I've seen Bedell, Caddy, Mason, Harsin, Etheridge, Reed, Eason, Kiesau...

...but I'm not sure I've seen Friend, Watts or Schmedding. Maybe I just missed them, but other guys have shown up consistently. 

Legitimate point. Like I said earlier it could go either way. With this staff being more closed mouth than previous staff's we don't get as much insider information as in the past which may be the reason we had the last week of recruiting success that seemed to be unexpected by most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Maybe but as many have said relationships count we would be starting over with many of these kids that Friend has been recruiting for over a year. There are pluses and minus with both options we just need to see what happens after Davis arrives.

Which is when? Other than not soon enough?

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Which is when? Other than not soon enough?

I think Seattle plays its last game January 9th unless by some miracle they find a way to make the playoff's. So I would expect him shortly after that. I do believe I read where he is already recruiting via phone and social media but I can't confirm that. So we will be without him for our bowl game.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Well, we do know Friend was only brought in bc Bobo wanted him.

Davis, never being an OC, maybe doesn't have the OL connections, as he is coming in to get him on his path.

But I guess, I don't see Friend being that much of a help so far, based on even the 2022 OL signees. If Friend was directly involved that would clarify it. 

So, the options for Harsin are 1. bring in a quality OL coach again with very good recruiting resume(preferably Southern) that can us over the hump of bring ing someone newer again. 2. Keep Friend. 3. NFL OL Coach. 

Texas A&M just got their 1st commit for the 2025 class.  The fact that with as little contact as this staff has had our 2022 class is ranked currently in the top 15 and will go higher is a testament to the quality of the HC and staff's recruiting ability.  It takes time to build relationships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I just wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to let Friend go, and bring in an NFL OL coach.

Now you have an OC/QB coach and an OL coach to bring NFL type experience to Harsin's staff, and it might help for recruits to see that especially for OL and RBs.

We could try the NFL route but I’d rather go with a college guy who already knows how to recruit 

18 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

You have missed it.

That man has been doing WORK.

Woodyard.

If he flipped Woodyard then yes I definitely missed it lol. Appreciate the correction.

The 23 class will give a good read on whether the staff can recruit well enough. The 23 class in AL is the best in a long time, maybe ever. The staff will have to get their share vs AL/GA. 

• Like 2

I will post here everyday so that the 2023 recruiting thread will surpass 2022 giving us a top 5 class. Nobody can say I’m not doing my part, and if you would like to, we can argue about it therefore making the thread longer and our class stronger. Yep Long and Strong… that’s me

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, peashooter said:

The 23 class will give a good read on whether the staff can recruit well enough. The 23 class in AL is the best in a long time, maybe ever. The staff will have to get their share vs AL/GA. 

Joiner, Smith, and Parker would be a VERY nice start.

14 hours ago, wcware said:

I will post here everyday so that the 2023 recruiting thread will surpass 2022 giving us a top 5 class. Nobody can say I’m not doing my part, and if you would like to, we can argue about it therefore making the thread longer and our class stronger. Yep Long and Strong… that’s me

Link?

20 hours ago, peashooter said:

Really looking forward to all the excuses being gone. 

I hope we have a really solid top 10 class in '23. Especially with how loaded the state is

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Really looking forward to all the excuses being gone. 

I hope we have a really solid top 10 class in '23. Especially with how loaded the state is

Despite the criticism I still have on the offensive side of the ball, I’m definitely feeling better about our chances to land a top 10 class next year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Oh lord there is so so much I could say........

Yeah but nobody wants to hear the incoherent ramblings of some old man…….. oh wait

• Love 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Despite the criticism I still have on the offensive side of the ball, I’m definitely feeling better about our chances to land a top 10 class next year.

The state is loaded with talent. We can't strike out in the top ten like we did in 22...it seems like we've made some good impressions so far.

Hopefully we aren't a near complete non factor in the state of GA either.

The recipe is pretty straightforward. I just hope some good OL are in that mix for a change 

14 hours ago, W.E.D said:

The state is loaded with talent. We can't strike out in the top ten like we did in 22...it seems like we've made some good impressions so far.

Hopefully we aren't a near complete non factor in the state of GA either.

The recipe is pretty straightforward. I just hope some good OL are in that mix for a change 

I know the state of Alabama has some dudes for 23 but Auburn has to recruit Georgia heavy in order to win. There’s just more kids here. I’m sort of optimistic here about the 23 class. This class ended up light years ahead of what most people thought and I think they’ve made a good impression. 

We need portal pick ups and we need wins in 22. I think we do have a great shot at a top 10 class next year but they have to perform on field to a certain level. Bring it on WDE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1