2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

I want to see us make 'the list'  for 50 OTs this winter.  That's all I want.  Maybe we need a thread just for OL recruiting.  

With all the relaxing of no-bail and low bail for crimes, should Auburn consider kidnapping some OTs from other programs? I am just trying to think outside the box here....Maybe a lawyer should weigh in on this before get too far down the road on this plan. 

I am just spit-balling here...

YARN | I'm just spit-balling here, Jeff. | Draft Day (2014) | Video clips  by quotes | e4d74d7d | 紗

Mods: you can delete this if you like...just having fun waiting on this morning's kick off.

Edited by Beaker

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

should Auburn consider kidnapping some OTs from other programs?

Yes. And if they allow themselves to be kidnapped, then we should immediately drop them from consideration, because they are clearly too soft and probably from Texas.

Find the ones who refuse to be kidnapped and pay them double. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yes. And if they allow themselves to be kidnapped, then we should immediately drop them from consideration, because they are clearly too soft and probably from Texas.

Find the ones who refuse to be kidnapped and pay them double. 

You are 100% spot on.  I was trying to explain to my son in law how U of Texas is chock full of talent every year and under-performs.  It's a culture problem in Austin.  Texas obviously has some great talent, but give me the mean ones, not just the talented ones from TX.   We've had some winner from TX.  

I am going to hate myself for asking, but with the influx of TEs coming in and what looks like good ones, I wonder if the 6'7" kid from TX could move from TE to OT.   Frazier.   Probably not possible.   But he is mobile and we have a logjam at TE with Ducker inbound and Schenker thinking of returning. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Beaker said:

You are 100% spot on.  I was trying to explain to my son in law how U of Texas is chock full of talent every year and under-performs.  It's a culture problem in Austin.  Texas obviously has some great talent, but give me the mean ones, not just the talented ones from TX.   We've had some winner from TX.  

I am going to hate myself for asking, but with the influx of TEs coming in and what looks like good ones, I wonder if the 6'7" kid from TX could move from TE to OT.   Frazier.   Probably not possible.   But he is mobile and we have a logjam at TE with Ducker inbound and Schenker thinking of returning. 

For the record, the Texas thing is an ongoing joke.

And several people have suggested that Frazier to OT is a possibility. There are examples of it working very well in the past. You're spot on with your rationale. Whether or not Shenker is returning, Fromm, Deal and King all saw far more usage and all of them have at least two years' remaining eligibility. If he can play tackle, it makes sense from Auburn's perspective. 

• Like 1

Even though it would help the team I don't want Shenker to return as we need to develop the other TE's. Frazer at OT might be an option.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Even though it would help the team I don't want Shenker to return as we need to develop the other TE's. Frazer at OT might be an option.  

Chris Gray is the model here. Started as a tight end, moved to OT, got drafted and had a very long and productive career in the NFL. It can be done

• Like 3

Interesting fact IMO: the Cincinnati Bearcats' recruiting classes over the last FIVE seasons have been BY FAR mostly 2 star players:

- ZERO 5 star players

- Six 4 stars

- smattering of 3 stars

I like the star system as much as the next guy and it helps when you don't play in the SEC west - but they've knocked on the door several years now, played a solid schedule in 2021 with the above, er, talent, and are now in the playoffs. You of course maximize chances to win by recruiting like $aban or $mart but...just saying.

• Like 2

I’m A huge supporter of this staff, but yesterday was our 5th loss in a row and 4th where we surrendered a lead largely due to not being able to run the ball. Hell, we couldn’t move the pile one foot on a fourth and less than one sneak with a 320 pound center and a 250 pound QB.  The 2023 recruiting cycle is now officially the focus. If we don’t have 3-5 top shelf o-line commitments by June I will know this staff doesn’t get it and ain’t going to make it. And we need top high school talent to grow and develop into our system. JUCOs and transfers can only help so much. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m A huge supporter of this staff, but yesterday was our 5th loss in a row and 4th where we surrendered a lead largely due to not being able to run the ball. Hell, we couldn’t move the pile one foot on a fourth and less than one sneak with a 320 pound center and a 250 pound QB.  The 2023 recruiting cycle is now officially the focus. If we don’t have 3-5 top shelf o-line commitments by June I will know this staff doesn’t get it and ain’t going to make it. And we need top high school talent to grow and develop into our system. JUCOs and transfers can only help so much. 

There is no doubt that with a better O-line we would have won most of the last 5 games if not all of them. Like you I like this staff and I have seen a lot more offers to solid O-line types from this staff then the previous staff now you are correct they have to close on these kids. The reality is for next two years we might have to rely on Portal to be competitive.  Right now if I had to guess who would be our starters on O-line next year based only on current players.  RT Colby Smith, RG Jones, C Irvin. LG Johnson or Jernigan or Langlo, LT Zierer.   

What is scary to me I think this would be a better O-Line then what we had this year. I think Smith could be a legitimate SEC OT. I am hoping we can get a couple of Portal O-line as starters or as depth because outside of the players I mentioned the only other O-linemen who might be serviceable is Coffee. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Interesting fact IMO: the Cincinnati Bearcats' recruiting classes over the last FIVE seasons have been BY FAR mostly 2 star players:

- ZERO 5 star players

- Six 4 stars

- smattering of 3 stars

I like the star system as much as the next guy and it helps when you don't play in the SEC west - but they've knocked on the door several years now, played a solid schedule in 2021 with the above, er, talent, and are now in the playoffs. You of course maximize chances to win by recruiting like $aban or $mart but...just saying.

They also have a potential first round pick at QB who’s been there for like 3+ years. That helps too having actual good consistent QB play

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

There is no doubt that with a better O-line we would have won most of the last 5 games if not all of them. Like you I like this staff and I have seen a lot more offers to solid O-line types from this staff then the previous staff now you are correct they have to close on these kids. The reality is for next two years we might have to rely on Portal to be competitive.  Right now if I had to guess who would be our starters on O-line next year based only on current players.  RT Colby Smith, RG Jones, C Irvin. LG Johnson or Jernigan or Langlo, LT Zierer.   

What is scary to me I think this would be a better O-Line then what we had this year. I think Smith could be a legitimate SEC OT. I am hoping we can get a couple of Portal O-line as starters or as depth because outside of the players I mentioned the only other O-linemen who might be serviceable is Coffee. 

I completely agree that we need to get a couple of portal transfers for immediate help, but we desperately need a class of multiple high school linemen to develop. Signing 1-2 a year is not going to get us out of this mess. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I completely agree that we need to get a couple of portal transfers for immediate help, but we desperately need a class of multiple high school linemen to develop. Signing 1-2 a year is not going to get us out of this mess. 

Still pretty likely that we sign 2-3 more HS linemen this cycle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Crazy to think that we've already forgotten about the February signing day. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

- ZERO 5 star players

- Six 4 stars

- smattering of 3 stars

Clemson is a great example as well.  This year was their first blip since Dabo got this thing rolling but the foundation of that team was built on 3*s back in 2008,09,10,11.  Those teams tend to have low turnover so chemistry builds up after a couple years.  I haven't examined Cincy but I bet you'd find a low amount of coaching changes and they've probably not lost many players to the portal.  Fickel is obviously a pretty good coach as well.  

39 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Clemson is a great example as well.  This year was their first blip since Dabo got this thing rolling but the foundation of that team was built on 3*s back in 2008,09,10,11.  Those teams tend to have low turnover so chemistry builds up after a couple years.  I haven't examined Cincy but I bet you'd find a low amount of coaching changes and they've probably not lost many players to the portal.  Fickel is obviously a pretty good coach as well.  

If Clemson wins today, they will have the 3rd longest 10-win season streak at 11 straight, behind FSU at 14 and Bama at, I think, 12.  

That's a winning program.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

- ZERO 5 star players

- Six 4 stars

- smattering of 3 stars

It is also a lot easier to develop talent when you aren't playing top shelf talent each and nearly every week.  Their schedule allows for that. 

That is why OU can develop players to play at a high level by the time bowl season rolls around.  I am not making an argument OU should have won a playoff game, just saying they are so much better at season's end than they are start out (as most teams should).   They probably should not have won playoff games because their sched is too soft. There is a balance that needs to be found.  

Auburn has a severe talent gap at OL and it is hard to develop when you are whipped on the majority of the plays.  This will only get better through an OL coach who can develop (and maybe the portal). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Win4AU said:

This year was their first blip since Dabo got this thing rolling but the foundation of that team was built on 3*s back in 2008,09,10,11

Can we please stop this ridiculous lie to make ourselves feel better?  Yeah, they had 3* kids in their class like everyone does, but they had elite talent in all of those classes. 

The 2008 class had the #1 overall player, DaQuan Bowers. Along with other top 100 kids that played in the NFL.

The 2009 class had 5* QB Tajh Boyd

2010 had Martavius Bryant, DeAndre Hopkis and Vic Beasley (this is your 3*)

2011 had 3 5* kids 🤣 and 2 more in yhe top 50.

Those teams had elite talent

Dabo didn't build it with 3* kids. He had elite players

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Can we please stop this ridiculous lie to make ourselves feel better?  Yeah, they had 3* kids in their class like everyone does, but they had elite talent in all of those classes. 

The 2008 class had the #1 overall player, DaQuan Bowers. Along with other top 100 kids that played in the NFL.

like him or hate him he be spittin facts - Motivational Meme | Make a Meme

15 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Boy! I hope so!

14 hours ago, W.E.D said:

He said the foundation of the team.  It wasn't just a few 3* kids sprinkled in making some contribution. It was the bulk of the team. That 2011 class you mentioned had 20 of them.

In fact, it wasn't until 2014 for Dabo to have a class to with more blue chip talent (4 & 5* players) than 3* and below.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

He said the foundation of the team.  It wasn't just a few 3* kids sprinkled in making some contribution. It was the bulk of the team. That 2011 class you mentioned had 20 of them.

In fact, it wasn't until 2014 for Dabo to have a class to with more blue chip talent (4 & 5* players) than 3* and below.

The foundation of those teams were elite talent surrounded by avg players.

They aren't winning with those 3* guys. They re winning with the elite talent at crucial positions like DE/QB/WE/RB and some good OL too.

It's nonsensical spin to ignore the upper echelon talent and pretend it was the 3* that were the reason 

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

The foundation of those teams were elite talent surrounded by avg players.

They aren't winning with those 3* guys. They re winning with the elite talent at crucial positions like DE/QB/WE/RB and some good OL too.

It's nonsensical spin to ignore the upper echelon talent and pretend it was the 3* that were the reason 

See, I'd argue that your foundation is the larger part that goes mostly unnoticed allowing the elite guys to go to work.  Much like I am not part of the foundation of our company.  Our warehouse folks and every day sales folks are that.  Their efforts allow me to do my job, which is more high profile.

Nick Fairley and Cam Newton weren't foundational parts of the 2010 team at Auburn.  They were the stars, but they didn't build that roster.  The 4 year senior laden O-line, senior leaders like Kodi and Antoine Carter, those guys were the foundation.

• Like 1