The current legacy of Bo Nix

StatTiger

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

We really wasted 2014 bc how awful our defense was. That offense was elite.

I think they legacy/5* is probably the biggest issue. If he was a 3* and his name was Bill Random. I don't think he'd get as much flack 

FIFY

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well that's my opinion. Just like I don't think a wr can be good if he can't catch well, I have long scoffed at people saying Jackson should start at wr for his blocking, or I don't think a linebacker should start or is good because he has awesome hands.

I don't see how a qb can be good if he isn't good at throwing the ball, that includes down field.  I don't think that's over the top at all. I was also read a statement quoted saying something about Bo that was no fault of his own. I'm not believing that Bo is without fault to problems on this offense. Just like I would never say it's all his fault when he has a game where there were 30 drops. I don't think that's over the top at all

When Auburn signed Nix, I did not believe he was a 5-star talent primarily because of his career completion of about 58 percent. I gave him the benefit of doubt because his entire OL was replaced his senior year. I don't think he is an accurate passer at today's standard of completion percentage (65% and above). I do think hen he can set his feet, he is plenty of accurate enough to make this offense go. Mike Bobo has done some great work with him. IMO, this just might be the worst performing WR corps I have seen at Auburn. His footwork is much better now than any time since 2019.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The way I look at forums is there are going to be opinions. And whether we like it or not sometimes there's a right and wrong. Sometimes it's not. What I personally try to do is when I state an opinion I explain my logic as I feel that shows I'm not trolling, my perspective may or may not be right but it's legit and not just disagreeing just to do it. But that's just me. 

In this thread I don't think I saw anybody doing a half baked opinion. I legit like when people explain how they got to their conclusions. It's how I learn stuff I may not have known. But that's just my opinion. I agree with you if it's a guy who was saying Bo sucks and that's it, that's garbage. Or actually the opposite Bo's awesome it's everybody else. 

I really thought this was a good thread

I think how I could see how Stat felt a little disrespected on some of the replies.  I know he invested a lot of time and energy tracking down 30+ years of statistics, not only about Auburn but the entire country.  And then after he did this he wrote this thread for us, for free.

After all of this we have posters trying to discredit him and saying it is skewed.  It’s like how yesterday I believe posters were challenging you for facts and no matter what they brought to the table you were put down.  It probably feels bad, you know?

As a fan base we need to rally around our guys and support them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The only thing that's difficult to understand is you saying "The truth is that Bo Nix does require a supporting cast to obtain the most of his abilities for no fault of his own." 

The current legacy of Bo Nix was actually very well described by actual football players who played his position during the game the other day and after on Cole Cubelic's show. He's got bad tendencies that make him a less effective QB. They're things that very good quarterbacks don't do. Don't need a deep dive into 20 years of history to see it. 

Feel free to put all of this into historical context but the "no fault of his own" thing is bizarre. Certainly more bizarre than merely saying that the run game could also use some help from more pass completions. 

Yeah the Bo in the context in Auburn QB history really is not relevant point to make. Auburn has never been a proflic passing school ofc nix numbers would high since he been starting uncontested since a freshman. what about bo in the context of current college QB landscape. Where does he rank with his peers in his QB class? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

i was not paying attention to White's career at the time but were his issues as fundamental as Nix's? i.e., take away system, take away surrounding talent, was White doing the things he was supposed to do to be a good QB?

All you need to do is look at his TD/INT ratio pre-1993. It was 27 TD/44 INT

IMO, Steve Spurrier's pass offense was the best pure pass offense I have seen in the SEC. We see lots of screens today that jack up the completion percentage. Spurrier's pass offense was more vertical and deadly. Applying the same standards I outlined previously, Florida under Spurrier was 13-19-1 when they attempted at least 26 passes, ran for less than 140 and the opposition scored at least 21 points.

I thought Tuberville was crazy when he said the key to beating Florida in 2001 was to take away the run. He was right... forced the Gators into 4 picks that night in a huge Auburn upset. Even Spurrier commented on the need to have a running game consistent enough to slow down the pass rush. Florida was deadly with their draw plays.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It's also seems weird he's trying to stuff a 2020 era offense & stats into the last 50 years of Auburn football as if offenses haven't evolved.

If everyone is being honest with themselves, Auburn hasn't had a truly elite QB throwing the ball in the last 40 years....especially coupled with a high powered offense.  Jason Campbell might have been the best in 2004.

Stidham right behind him 

3 minutes ago, esotre said:

Yeah the Bo in the context in Auburn QB history really is not relevant point to make. Auburn has never been a proflic passing school ofc nix numbers would high since he been starting uncontested since a freshman. what about bo in the context of current college QB landscape. Where does he rank with his peers in his QB class? 

Records from 2016-2020 when attempting at least 26 passes, running under 140 and allowing at least 21 points.

Alabama 4-1

Arkansas 0-21

Auburn 1-14

Florida 3-14

Georgia 3-6

Kentucky 0-6

LSU 2-6

Miss State 2-13

Missouri 1-15

Ole Miss 4-12

South Carolina 2-22

Tennessee 5-8

TAMU 3-15

Vanderbilt 1-19

15 percent win percentage from 2016-2020

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Auburn can’t run the ball with Bo Nix because he can’t stretch the field with any consistently.  In games that Bo Nix starts Auburn averages less rushing yards.  Teams load the box against Bo Nix lead offenses because they do not fear his arm or decision making resulting in poor rushing stats.

And he can run the read option bc he don’t make good reads consistent enough 

1 minute ago, StatTiger said:

Records from 2016-2020 when attempting at least 26 passes, running under 140 and allowing at least 21 points.

Alabama 4-1

Arkansas 0-21

Auburn 1-14

Florida 3-14

Georgia 3-6

Kentucky 0-6

LSU 2-6

Miss State 2-13

Missouri 1-15

Ole Miss 4-12

South Carolina 2-22

Tennessee 5-8

TAMU 3-15

Vanderbilt 1-19

15 percent win percentage from 2016-2020

I was late in the convo but thanks for posting again

16 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

FIFY

Nah. He'd get plenty of flack for being as bad as he's been

7 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

IMO, Steve Spurrier's pass offense was the best pure pass offense I have seen in the SEC. We see lots of screens today that jack up the completion percentage. Spurrier's pass offense was more vertical and deadly. Applying the same standards I outlined previously, Florida under Spurrier was 13-19-1 when they attempted at least 26 passes, ran for less than 140 and the opposition scored at least 21 points.

I thought Tuberville was crazy when he said the key to beating Florida in 2001 was to take away the run. He was right... forced the Gators into 4 picks that night in a huge Auburn upset. Even Spurrier commented on the need to have a running game consistent enough to slow down the pass rush. Florida was deadly with their draw plays.

Thanks for putting up with all the guff here @StatTiger after what was obviously a LOT of work to compile all of that information. This board in particular is very polarized against Bo. Some seem to think we will magically win out or set ourselves up to be undefeated next year if we'll just start TJ.

In sitting here watching the worst combination of OL and WR's I've seen since 1982, I don't see any change at QB being positive. I'm not sure our 1998 OL after we lost five centers wasn't better. What did our rushing stats look like with Rusty and Demontray back then? 

I only have kid football coaching experience - 13 seasons of it - but even there, whenever the other team could disrupt the LOS, it was going to be a long day. Saw that from 1st grade right on up. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3

8 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

This board in particular is very polarized against Bo. Some seem to think we will magically win out or set ourselves up to be undefeated next year if we'll just start TJ.

This is so dumb.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well that's my opinion. Just like I don't think a wr can be good if he can't catch well, I have long scoffed at people saying Jackson should start at wr for his blocking, or I don't think a linebacker should start or is good because he has awesome hands.

I don't see how a qb can be good if he isn't good at throwing the ball, that includes down field.  I don't think that's over the top at all. I was also read a statement quoted saying something about Bo that was no fault of his own. I'm not believing that Bo is without fault to problems on this offense. Just like I would never say it's all his fault when he has a game where there were 30 drops. I don't think that's over the top at all

But it was your opinion offered without you explaining it out. To simply and plainly say he can't throw is half-baked. Maybe you've hashed that out in every other thread, I don't know. I don't read them all. 

So what's your opinion of Bo in, just, the last two games since he got benched? He was 21-38 against uga with, as reported by some, 7-12 drops. PFF said 7 so on the low end 28-38 against the best damn defense in the nation would have been pretty damn respectable, no?

• Like 1

Are people really polarized on Bo or just stating facts about what they've seen from the kid after 2 1/2 yrs? 

Most folks on this board just want whatever helps Auburn compete at a high level and win consistently.  Most of us, myself included couldn't give a rats ass who's playing QB.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

But it was your opinion offered without you explaining it out. To simply and plainly say he can't throw is half-baked. Maybe you've hashed that out in every other thread, I don't know. I don't read them all. . 

So what's your opinion of Bo in, just, the last two games since he got benched? He was 21-38 against uga with, as reported by some, 7-12 drops. PFF said 7 so on the low end 28-38 against the best damn defense in the nation would have been pretty damn respectable, no?

I feel like everybody knows of his downfield passing issues and overall accuracy so no I wasn't going to start talking about that as that would have led to arguments as far as why are you always downing Bo or why do you write this in every thread. It was my mistake not to quote but I knew I was replying right under but once again it's a reply to a thought of no fault of his own thing. To be honest I feel like his not being able to throw deep isn't an opinion any more it's fact but I can see someone arguing it's still an opinion

No I don't think he played well against uga. I don't think he's the reason we lost or anything either. And I'm concerned with his downfield passing as I think that's just as much as a problem as the o line themselves. I don't see any way possible being a successful team trying to hide that.  

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

Are people really polarized on Bo or just stating facts about what they've seen from the kid after 2 1/2 yrs? 

Most folks on this board just want whatever helps Auburn compete at a high level and win consistently.  Most of us, myself included couldn't give a rats ass who's playing QB.

I just want to be able to talk and feel proud in football convos, online, in the barber shop, at get togethers again personally

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

This is what always happens. People can't dispute the critiques so they misrepresent them as personal attacks. It was the same with Gus.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

Nothing wrong with voicing an opinion because some of the complaints are just not true. Though Nix is 1/4 the problem, there are three times as many complaints about Nix than the OL or WR’s. I understand that fans will credit the QB too much and fault him too much but it is still wrong. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Nothing wrong with voicing an opinion because some of the complaints are just not true. Though Nix is 1/4 the problem, there are three times as many complaints about Nix than the OL or WR’s. I understand that fans will credit the QB too much and fault him too much but it is still wrong. 

Sigh. That's not true.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

there are three times as many complaints about Nix than the OL or WR’s

Nearly positive there wasn't a single thread made about Bo after the UGA game. There were threads for the OL and Drops

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Personally, I've whined and moaned and complained about the oline since Sean White & JJ were damn near killed.  It's a huge problem and has been for years. 

Put some of our skill players behind a top shelf oline the last few years and I guarantee you the offense would hum like a machine.  But we are where we are and nothing will magically get fixed until the talent on the lines gets a dose of highly rated players. 

44 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

When Auburn signed Nix, I did not believe he was a 5-star talent primarily because of his career completion of about 58 percent. I gave him the benefit of doubt because his entire OL was replaced his senior year. I don't think he is an accurate passer at today's standard of completion percentage (65% and above). I do think hen he can set his feet, he is plenty of accurate enough to make this offense go. Mike Bobo has done some great work with him. IMO, this just might be the worst performing WR corps I have seen at Auburn. His footwork is much better now than any time since 2019.

I agree he seems to have improved, I always felt his weakness was his downfield stuff because I noticed EVERYTHING was a jump ball. I have seen I feel at least one throw where he zip a ball in accurately minus the ga st I think. I don't think he's done it enough consistently to really claim he can do it though. But more importantly he hasn't put enough on film that would cause an opponent to back up their safeties at all. I feel like if the opposing team wants to win they would say contain rush him but they would want the ball in his hands. 

I haven't seen him lead the offense yet. Maybe the second half of the 4th quarter against LSU. But that's just my opinion of course. But I do know we could have whoever is the team that's supposed to have the best o line but if we don't get those safeties out of the box and go over their heads the run game still wouldn't be consistent.

This is on coaching I guess but we should at least do the run flash down field and throw it out of bounds at least twice a game. We don't even attempt anymore.