The current legacy of Bo Nix

StatTiger

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Nick had an elite deep ball.

You can get away with being slightly inaccurate when you can push the ball downfield 

I’m sorry but that’s not how I remember marshal.   2013 he was all over the place.   Yes, we won a lot of football games with him but he was very inaccurate.    We had a tremendous running game and Gus was able to run his version of HUNH offense.   Which eventually changed due to substitutions that Gus could never master.  

• Like 1

If Auburn started just one offensive lineman and just one Wide Receiver all the threads complaining on their performance would have their name on it.

I have noticed this odd trend that threads complaining about a kicker, punter or quarterback tend to have their name in it.   THIS IS SARCASM

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’m sorry but that’s not how I remember marshal.   2013 he was all over the place.   Yes, we won a lot of football games with him but he was very inaccurate.    We had a tremendous running game and Gus was able to run his version of HUNH offense.   Which eventually changed due to substitutions that Gus could never master.  

I completely disagree. He was right at 60% and we all know Sammie and Ricardo had their drop issues as well.

He threw a pretty deep ball. He constantly challenged defenses deep and that actually opened up stuff for everybody

Edited by cole256
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, DAG said:

I’ve never seen so much spin for a 5 star QB. Real talent evaluators at the next level will be able to see where he ends up with or without a supporting cast. 

I'm not sure how Bo wound up as a 5 star recruit. He never completed 60 percent of his passes in a season as starter in high school. Dunno why folks are surprised (for those that are surprised) he isn't throwing for better than 60 percent against D1 FBS competition (where every player on defenses he faces is about like the best player on the best defense of the best teams he faced in high school) when he didn't do it against lesser competition. Bo is what he is. What he isn't is the kind of QB that comes in and becomes a real "difference maker." Not slamming him. Just accepting that his limitations are real and apparent.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

If he's very inaccurate what is Bo? Nick had a better Comp% than Bo and over 60% for his two years.

His YPA is also 2 yards higher than Bo's. He pushed the ball down field 

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I completely disagree. He was right at 60% and we all know Sammie and Ricardo had their drop issues as well.

He threw a pretty deep ball. He constantly challenged defenses deep and that actually opened up stuff for everybody

Nick did improve on his passing from 2013 to 2014.   But the difference between 55% and 60% is small.  And speaking of drops, look no further than last week.   I remember the 2013 championship game first possession and nick under thrown pass to wide open Lewis for a touchdown.   Pass in the end zone that was badly thrown to open CJ, if I recall correctly for another touchdown.   
I said that nick was under appreciated during his time at AU but he wasn’t as accurate as people want to remember 

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

If he's very inaccurate what is Bo? Nick had a better Comp% than Bo and over 60% for his two years.

His YPA is also 2 yards higher than Bo's. He pushed the ball down field 

Never said Bo was accurate.   2 whole yards??  Wow, that’s pushing it down the field.  

5 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Nick did improve on his passing from 2013 to 2014.   But the difference between 55% and 60% is small.  And speaking of drops, look no further than last week.   I remember the 2013 championship game first possession and nick under thrown pass to wide open Lewis for a touchdown.   Pass in the end zone that was badly thrown to open CJ, if I recall correctly for another touchdown.   
I said that nick was under appreciated during his time at AU but he wasn’t as accurate as people want to remember 

I remember him being about a 60% passer in an offense where wr's ran two routes. But like I said for every pass that's pointed out bad I can remember a td pass that most couldn't make.

But that's me

Edited by cole256

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Never said Bo was accurate.   2 whole yards??  Wow, that’s pushing it down the field.  

Over 25-30 attempts a game,  yeah that adds up

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Nick did improve on his passing from 2013 to 2014.   But the difference between 55% and 60% is small

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

emember him being about a 60% passer

Yes, he was like 59.8 and 60.2 in 2014. He didn't improve from 55 to 60%....he was always at 60%

32 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Great take in the Bama they basically had to out score Auburn. Unfortunately Alabama was able to stop just a little more. Both teams put up mad yards in that came. Man if Auburn just had a piece of a defense!!

17 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Still have to wonder if he hit that pass would the outcome be different. 

5 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Bingo

People love bringing up Campbell to inspire hope for Bo. I get it. He’s the one QB in AU history who improved dramatically his senior season. But he’s the exception to the rule, not the rule. I wouldn’t hang any hope on this. 

Either way, look at Jason’s completion percentages his first 3 years. 63, 63, and 62. Higher than Bo will ever accomplish. And that’s before his massive improvement. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He challenged defenses everywhere when he had the ball in his hands, but he definitely challenged them deep.  I remember a few articles mentioning 50-yard bombs to Sammie being a weekly thing.

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Nick had an elite deep ball.

What?!?!

Nick had a howitzer for an arm, but he was never accurate down field.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I'm not sure how Bo wound up as a 5 star recruit. He never completed 60 percent of his passes in a season as starter in high school. Dunno why folks are surprised (for those that are surprised) he isn't throwing for better than 60 percent against D1 FBS competition (where every player on defenses he faces is about like the best player on the best defense of the best teams he faced in high school) when he didn't do it against lesser competition. Bo is what he is. What he isn't is the kind of QB that comes in and becomes a real "difference maker." Not slamming him. Just accepting that his limitations are real and apparent.

Correct and you have been saying this from day 1. When a QB needs all the right pieces around him to be successful, I can’t consider that a 5 star , program changing player 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

I haven't looked at the stats but a difference of +2 yards per attempt is not small potatoes in a passing game. Not at all.

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Bo got his *5 bump because of the camp season, he killed camps when he wasn’t being rushed

Is there any substance to that? Not doubting exactly, just surprised if that is so. Seems to me (speaking as a non-coach, non-recruiter and non-athlete) that players oughta be rated based on...you know...how they play. (Do the terms "workout warrior" and "practice prince" still ring a bell with anyone else, or am I so old that crapola like that sticks in my brain long after the sell by date? ;) )

• Like 1

Wonder how many deep balls number 18 has given up? I see no calls for replacing him. Thanks for your work Stat. Marshall was streaky at best and Louis couldn’t catch one in his hands but could make the best circus catches of anyone I’ve seen. I know our defense was no where close to 39% pressures.

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

What?!?!

Nick had a howitzer for an arm, but he was never accurate down field.

Thanks Bird.  I think people get overwhelmed with the thought that since AU played for a national championship, Nick was a great passer.   Just not the case.   If he completed 65 to 70% of his passes, Auburn would have another national championship and possibly played for another.   

• Like 1

And this has nothing to do with Bo.   Bo, in my opinion, plays at a break neck pace.   If he somehow learned to settle down, he would be a decent college quarterback.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Is there any substance to that? Not doubting exactly, just surprised if that is so. Seems to me (speaking as a non-coach, non-recruiter and non-athlete) that players oughta be rated based on...you know...how they play.

Over a million high school football players. Say an average high school roster is 60 players (I doubt that it is), you're looking at over 16.5k teams. That's over 8k games on a given Friday night with recruiting analysts trying to break down at least 30 players per, most of which have no realistic aspirations of playing college football and all of which are subject to game script, the whims of their coaches, trying to play wide receiver with some bum at QB...

...OR... analysts go to one camp and spend a weekend watching a few dozen players that have presumably established some sort of serious CFB aspirations and credibility compete directly against each other in a variety of drills that, while flawed in exactly the manner you mention, are created specifically to highlight the skills that will determine their success at the next level. 

Also, keep in mind that while workout warriors and the look like Tarzan play like Jane types are hardly uncommon, they're not the majority. Most of the kids that dominate camps are good college football players. 

Evaluations will never be perfect. Even the NFL misses all the time. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No I watched a guy that year make plenty of deep throws, stay cool and lead the team. I can off my head tell you to look at td passes against Texas a&m and Missouri in the championship and tell me who could throw it better. But he was a db...  so he couldn't throw. 

Throwing deep isn't the only measure of being good at throwing the ball.  That guy had a limitation in the middle of the field for medium to short throws, IMO due to vision.  If you remember, he threw to the side of the field or he threw deep.  He wasn't able to throw to the middle of the field 10-20 yards out.  That's where a lot of routes are open in college football.  I saw that as a significant limitation in his throwing ability.  Still a great QB, though.  Wish we had him again.

Bo is just like the rest of the offense...very meh. Can he and the rest of the offense actually make the plays that are there to be made? So far this season the answer is no. Sometimes its the line sometimes its the receivers and sometimes its Bo. If any one of those were really good they would make up for the shortcomings of the rest. But they are not really good so here we are with a very meh offense. It has chances to make plays but isn't consistent enough to make enough plays to actually score points. 

But the good news is that can all change very quickly. I feel they are close so we'll see if the coaches are able to pull the best out of this group. We have a bunch of hard but winnable games coming up and there is still plenty of time to have a very special season. However if the team continues as they have so far then it will go down as a very forget-able season and the rebuild will look that much more daunting.

• Like 1