As Bo continues to grow Cubelic says body language must improve.

aubiefifty

As Bo Nix continues to grow, Cole Cubelic says, body language must improve

By Mark Heim | mheim@al.com

3-4 minutes

Auburn quarterback Bo Nix (10) tries to elude the pressure from Georgia linebacker Robert Beal Jr. (33) during the second half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Oct. 9, 2021, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)AP

To say Bo Nix’s quarterbacking career at Auburn has been a rollercoaster ride might be an understatement.

Consistently inconsistent might be a better way to describe it.

Now, in his third year, he’s playing for his third offensive coordinator. He either gets praised for leaving the pocket and making magic happen, which, I might add, has resulted in a T-shirt (tip of the cap to NIL), or he is being criticized for not hanging in there long enough.

Either way, he knows it comes with the territory of being a quarterback in the SEC.

Cole Cubelic understands it, too. The SEC Network analyst and former Auburn player joined me on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5 on Wednesday and was asked if the Auburn quarterback is leaving the pocket out of necessity or out of habit.

His answer, quite honestly, was a little bit of both.

However, he elaborated on another issue he couldn’t help but notice with Nix. It is one he hopes clears up as the quarterback develops and matures: Body language.

“That to me has not really improved,” Cubelic said on Thursday. “You go back to TJ Finley when he came in against Georgia State and removing yourself from your teammates, going to the other side of the sidelines. To me, that’s unacceptable.

“Some of the reactions to when teammates have letdowns are very disappointing when I watch him. As the guy that played there and a guy that I feel like put in a lot of effort there and tried to be a leader at that place and in that uniform, I snapped the ball to quarterbacks who threw an interception. I snapped the ball to quarterbacks who handed it to running backs who fumbled the ball. I played next to two guards. Hell, I missed plenty of them. I had bad snaps.”

His point is stuff happens. How someone reacts in those moments ultimately defines what kind of leader - or quarterback - he will be.

“Ben Leard didn’t rip his chinstrap off and rip his mouthpiece out and slam his arms to his side like my 4-year-old does when he doesn’t catch a ground ball in t-ball when I had a bad snap,” he explained.

Cubelic, it should be noted, isn’t attacking the Auburn quarterback. He is simply pointing out an area of needed improvement, much like a parent does to a child, as indicated by his reference to his 4-year-old.

“To compound it all,” he added, “if you’re going to act that way, act that way when you screw up because that’s the part I don’t understand. If you’re going to act like a petulant child when your teammates let you down, act that way when you let your teammates down. It’s only fair.”

Check out the full interview here.

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I like Cole and his analysis. He tells it like it is, even if it hurts. He is correct on this issue, but some of that went a little too far imo. It's well known that Bo really needs to improve his leadership skills, but I don't think its fair to say he acts like a four year old

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, au302 said:

I like Cole and his analysis. He tells it like it is, even if it hurts. He is correct on this issue, but some of that went a little too far imo. It's well known that Bo really needs to improve his leadership skills, but I don't think its fair to say he acts like a four year old

I heard this interview live this morning...understand his point but I am not a fan of a former player totally bashing/belittling current AU player publicly.  I know he works for the Network but kinda crossed a line w me here. And you know the bammer author enjoyed every bit of this. 

What do others think of Cubelic?  Didn’t he say Brahms was best center in SEC?   He may be the most intelligent; however, cubelic knows more than me 

• Like 1

he is absolutely right.  he is not a natural leader.  most of us knew this already.  it is known because we have observed it the last 2 plus years.  

Edited by auburnphan
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, au302 said:

I don't have a problem with what he said or how he said it.  It's just one of the numerous areas that Bo needs improvement in playing the QB position.  

I wanted to post this a while ago but people would get all up in arms. He really does do too much. He did it last year talking back to coaches, he does it now with the hand motions , hand to helmet , etc. Seth Williams did this and everyone was on his helmet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I wanted to post this a while ago but people would get all up in arms. He really does do too much. He did it last year talking back to coaches, he does it now with the hand motions , hand to helmet , etc. Seth Williams did this and everyone was on his helmet.

i have not paid a lot of attention to it but i believe you are right. i wish they could give him some proper adjustment. now what that is i have no idea but a legacy surely does not want to end up like JJ.and i was a big fan of his. shame because i was reading how much money bo has raised for charity with some of his NIL stuff. this is not a joke but i think Auburn should have a good shrink available for mental issues and head problems. his problems are in his head because he should be getting better instead of back sliding. i love my tigers and i want them to do well and for some odd reason i believe playing tj more makes bo a better player.

• Like 2

Sounds like part professional CFB analyst and part frustrated Auburn fan. 

He’s right though. Bo puts way too much on himself. His blind competitiveness can be interpreted as arrogance and self centered. 

Set your feet. Throw the ball. If he can’t do that long term then he needs to grab a clipboard and go into coaching. I have no doubt he would be great at that. It’s in his blood. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i have not paid a lot of attention to it but i believe you are right. i wish they could give him some proper adjustment. now what that is i have no idea but a legacy surely does not want to end up like JJ.and i was a big fan of his. shame because i was reading how much money bo has raised for charity with some of his NIL stuff. this is not a joke but i think Auburn should have a good shrink available for mental issues and head problems. his problems are in his head because he should be getting better instead of back sliding. i love my tigers and i want them to do well and for some odd reason i believe playing tj more makes bo a better player.

He does a lot of good stuff outside of Auburn football for sure, but IMO and again just my subjective opinion without any true evidence other than what I see on TV for a limited time...I don't think his teammates really mess with him like that.

The amount of pearl clutching some people on this board have after any criticism is hilarious. If you haven’t watched a game Bo did poorly in and seen his demeanor then I can’t help you. You see fire and passion and that’s great to a point. After a certain point it becomes unproductive at best and disruptive at worst.

Yes he was shown cheering Finley for his one drive but that was planned and I didn’t see that one the unplanned benching. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ToomersRevenge said:

The amount of pearl clutching some people on this board have after any criticism is hilarious.

This phrase gonna have people coming after you and labeling you as a woman hater. Careful here…

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, fredst said:

This phrase gonna have people coming after you and labeling you as a woman hater. Careful here…

And then there's this, which makes me just really uncomfortable.

Joc_Pederson.jpg

Edited by AUx
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

I heard this interview live this morning...understand his point but I am not a fan of a former player totally bashing/belittling current AU player publicly.  I know he works for the Network but kinda crossed a line w me here. And you know the bammer author enjoyed every bit of this. 

What do others think of Cubelic?  Didn’t he say Brahms was best center in SEC?   He may be the most intelligent; however, cubelic knows more than me 

I feel like I’m in a hall of mirrors. 

19 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Consistently inconsistent might be a better way to describe it.

We'll just call him AFib:

Irregularly, irregular.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest MustardSeed

What’s funny is in the LSU game many (starting with Cubelic) praised his demeanor when TJ went in and pointed out how TJ went and sat alone with a towel over his head when he got taken back out. IDK.   Maybe his demeanor is like his playing,  good for a little bit and not good a few minutes later 🤷‍♂️
Either way it can’t be undone that this same exact guy (Cubelic) was the main one praising his demeanor just over a week ago. Why flip the tables after a loss to the #1 team?  Does Cubelic change his mind about people by the week?  Seems disingenuous to me. 

Edited by MustardSeed

19 hours ago, auburnphan said:

he is absolutely right.  he is not a natural leader.  most of us knew this already.  it is known because we have observed it the last 2 plus years.  

Yep. He’s had more opportunities in his 3 years than most guys ever get. We can talk about the constant changing of OC’s, but let’s be honest, it was always Gus during his first 2 years. I’m not going to pile on the guy, but he is NOT what he was made out to be. Also I really don’t think TJ will do us any good either. Maybe DD or the Grenier kid will be the fit for this O. A lot remains to be seen over the next couple of seasons. 

• Like 1

Bo is an interesting guy. He is so composed and mature in interviews. Then a little out of control on the field, both with his play and his emotions. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

What’s funny is in the LSU game many (starting with Cubelic) praised his demeanor when TJ went in and pointed out how TJ went and sat alone with a towel over his head when he got taken back out. IDK.   Maybe his demeanor is like his playing,  good for a little bit and not good a few minutes later 🤷‍♂️
Either way it can’t be undone that this same exact guy (Cubelic) was the main one praising his demeanor just over a week ago. Why flip the tables after a loss to the #1 team?  Does Cubelic change his mind about people by the week?  Seems disingenuous to me. 

It’s his job!!

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

We'll just call him AFib:

Irregularly, irregular.

thats funny as the last band i was in was called the irregulars.............grins.