Jump to content
Null

question about coach harsin


Recommended Posts





2 hours ago, auelvis87 said:

I wasn't insinuating that anyone was trying to make Bo look bad.  He may have said he hated to practice, but I can say I didn't always love the 3-a-days in August or the winter workouts when we had to be at the bubble at 6:00 a.m. every morning during Winder quarter.  My goal at Winter workouts was to not puke during or after the workouts.  Thankfully, I achieved my goal and was in the best shape I'd ever been in my life!  Some days you hate practice, but you make it thru because your teammates are there supporting you.  I don't think Bo needed my support!  He didn't even know my name, but if I saw him on campus he would always nod his head and say "Hey."  He didn't have to, but that was the kind of guy he was.

The guys that resented Bo I think were jealous more than anything.  And how could they not be?  Hell, I wish I could've done a fraction of the things Bo did on Saturdays.

what position did you play? give us some war stories. you can remain anonymous.https://twitteanonymousr.com/SmokeMonday/status/1448354238917136393?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1448354238917136393|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Fq7mdhv%3Fresponsive%3Dtrueis_nightmode%3Dfalse

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

first off let me say i like harsin quite a bit and i do believe he will do well down the road. what bothers me is i hear guys on here talking about sometimes it appears the better receivers are on the sidelines and i am sure there is method to his madness so to speak. it seems to play on saturdays players have to earn their playing time. how realistic and how hard nose is coach? here is my worry. it is pretty well known Bo Jackson was one of the laziest players during practice on a pat dye team. now we know how great bo was right? if bo jackson played for harsin would he get his shot or get looked over for being lazy? would this be what we call pulling the weeds so to speak to make auburn a better team or does it hurt us? i am just curious. i played on year of Amercan Youth Association football in germany as an army brat. anyone got any thoughts they might bring to the table?

Its a great question. Here is my best 2 part answer:

1. Bo is in the category of Michael Jordan and Tom Brady. That level of talent transcends normal standards in almost any example. I pray Harsin starts bringing that level of talent to AU so we can get a real answer to your question. 
2. In 3-4 years if Harsin is winning 80% of his games and beating Bama and UGA, no one will care about how hard he is on players or how flexible he is. If on the other hand he’s winning 60% of his games and winless against Bama and UGA he will be fired and people will blame his abrasive personality. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Its a great question. Here is my best 2 part answer:

1. Bo is in the category of Michael Jordan and Tom Brady. That level of talent transcends normal standards in almost any example. I pray Harsin starts bringing that level of talent to AU so we can get a real answer to your question. 
2. In 3-4 years if Harsin is winning 80% of his games and beating Bama and UGA, no one will care about how hard he is on players or how flexible he is. If on the other hand he’s winning 60% of his games and winless against Bama and UGA he will be fired and people will blame his abrasive personality. 

Dye didn't make Bo Jackson run every drill because he was already at peak performance on demand, and there was no point in risking injury to his thoroughbred. It wasn't catering to an ego and then and now it seems like the team understood. That's not the kind of individualized treatment that poisons morale.

I don't think Harsin is a win-at-all-costs guy. I think he is really, really busy. Business comes first, and at no detriment to concern for the players or appreciation of the institution. "If I'm curt, it's because time is of the essence. I think fast. I talk fast. And I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please, with sugar on top. Clean the %%&*#@ car." - Mr. Wolf.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AUx said:

Dye didn't make Bo Jackson run every drill because he was already at peak performance on demand, and there was no point in risking injury to his thoroughbred. It wasn't catering to an ego and then and now it seems like the team understood. That's not the kind of individualized treatment that poisons morale.

I don't think Harsin is a win-at-all-costs guy. I think he is really, really busy. Business comes first, and at no detriment to concern for the players or appreciation of the institution. "If I'm curt, it's because time is of the essence. I think fast. I talk fast. And I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please, with sugar on top. Clean the %%&*#@ car." - Mr. Wolf.

so. when you see me on the fam do you think "there goes a thoroughbred"? grins

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

so. when you see me on the fam do you think "there goes a thoroughbred"? grins

Unquestionably! Now, not sure if you're on the stud farm or headed to the glue factory. Not visualizing Churchill Downs exactly.  :)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, auelvis87 said:

I wasn't insinuating that anyone was trying to make Bo look bad.  He may have said he hated to practice, but I can say I didn't always love the 3-a-days in August or the winter workouts when we had to be at the bubble at 6:00 a.m. every morning during Winder quarter.  My goal at Winter workouts was to not puke during or after the workouts.  Thankfully, I achieved my goal and was in the best shape I'd ever been in my life!  Some days you hate practice, but you make it thru because your teammates are there supporting you.  I don't think Bo needed my support!  He didn't even know my name, but if I saw him on campus he would always nod his head and say "Hey."  He didn't have to, but that was the kind of guy he was.

The guys that resented Bo I think were jealous more than anything.  And how could they not be?  Hell, I wish I could've done a fraction of the things Bo did on Saturdays.

Ah yes. Puke in those rocks and get back in line so you don’t have to stay and repeat that drill. He lightened up to only three days a week in the mid eighties. 
Nobody was allowed to skip those practices.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2021 at 9:18 AM, kevon67 said:

Was Bo lazy?.............Never heard that though he self admitted hating practice.

Pretty well understood around town that Bo was not a stellar “practice player”. According to Dye he contacted Vince Dooley on coaching a “special one” right after Bo stepped on campus. Can’t recall Dooley's exact response but it was pretty much leave him alone. 
 

The late Bud Casey and some assistants did approach Dye once about Bo’s practice habits. They were told not to worry about it, just come up with a damn game plan that got him the ball 25 times on Saturday.

Andrea Bruce when asked what it was like to tackle Bo. “ Don’t know, he never had to practice at Auburn.”

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, gr82be said:

After all these years and today we find out the one thing Bo doesn't know. 

Is this a David Allen Coe song?

  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Pretty well understood around town that Bo was not a stellar “practice player”. According to Dye he contacted Vince Dooley on coaching a “special one” right after Bo stepped on campus. Can’t recall Dooley's exact response but it was pretty much leave him alone. 
 

The late Bud Casey and some assistants did approach Dye once about Bo’s practice habits. They were told not to worry about it, just come up with a damn game plan that got him the ball 25 times on Saturday.

Andrea Bruce when asked what it was like to tackle Bo. “ Don’t know, he never had to practice at Auburn.”

 

Yeah.jpeg

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, AUx said:

Is this a David Allen Coe song?

Love that song. Getting run over by Bo probably felt like getting run over by a damned ole train. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2021 at 7:32 AM, aubiefifty said:

would this be what we call pulling the weeds so to speak to make auburn a better team or does it hurt us?

Just my thoughts on it. I have heard Harsin harp on the whole practice like you play and play like you practice. He talks a lot about how hard Tank practices. In the short term it might hurt us because I am sure he is aware there are better players he could put in. But in the long run he hast to set the standard that how you practice determines how much you play. If a less talented player is putting in more effort then they get to play. Eventually that message will get across to all of the players and then the most talented players will practice just as hard to earn their playing time which means everybody is practicing at a high level which should eventually payoff on gameday. So he is sacrificing short term success to get his philosophy across but it should lead to long term success. This may just be a part of the growing pains we will have to endure until he can get everybody to buy in. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, nurbis said:

Just my thoughts on it. I have heard Harsin harp on the whole practice like you play and play like you practice. He talks a lot about how hard Tank practices. In the short term it might hurt us because I am sure he is aware there are better players he could put in. But in the long run he hast to set the standard that how you practice determines how much you play. If a less talented player is putting in more effort then they get to play. Eventually that message will get across to all of the players and then the most talented players will practice just as hard to earn their playing time which means everybody is practicing at a high level which should eventually payoff on gameday. So he is sacrificing short term success to get his philosophy across but it should lead to long term success. This may just be a part of the growing pains we will have to endure until he can get everybody to buy in. 

Superbly expressed. I hope that's the case. That makes sense.

Edited by AUx
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, nurbis said:

Just my thoughts on it. I have heard Harsin harp on the whole practice like you play and play like you practice. He talks a lot about how hard Tank practices. In the short term it might hurt us because I am sure he is aware there are better players he could put in. But in the long run he hast to set the standard that how you practice determines how much you play. If a less talented player is putting in more effort then they get to play. Eventually that message will get across to all of the players and then the most talented players will practice just as hard to earn their playing time which means everybody is practicing at a high level which should eventually payoff on gameday. So he is sacrificing short term success to get his philosophy across but it should lead to long term success. This may just be a part of the growing pains we will have to endure until he can get everybody to buy in. 

i was just worrying out loud. i like coach harsin and i do believe he will get it done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AUx said:

Superbly expressed. I hope that's the case. That makes sense.

i am not being gay here or anything but i would love to smoke one with you. i bet you are a hoot to be around. um not saying that you slept in a tree or anything. grins

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am not being gay here or anything but i would love to smoke one with you. i bet you are a hoot to be around. um not saying that you slept in a tree or anything. grins

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, gr82be said:

Love that song. Getting run over by Bo probably felt like getting run over by a damned ole train. 

yep. bo loved to hit. dye had to stay on him to avoid tackles instead of running through them if he had a choice. who was the badass LB bo just killed in the nfl?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AUx said:

Brian Bosworth

yes! brian said that was the hardest hit he ever took.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2021 at 11:54 AM, CCTAU said:

Ah yes. Puke in those rocks and get back in line so you don’t have to stay and repeat that drill. He lightened up to only three days a week in the mid eighties. 
Nobody was allowed to skip those practices.

 

Yep.  3 days a week in the bubble, and 2 days a week in the weight room.  We always had to run sprints at the end of the bubble sessions.  I don't remember the number but it was something like 10 20-yards, 10 30-yards, and 10 40 yards.  We had to go another 10 yards past that, touch the line with our foot and get back and have our hand down on the starting line in a certain amount of time.  I think it was something like 20 seconds (I've tried to forget most memories of the Bubble)  If one person didn't make it back then it didn't count.  One day the group was having a hard time making our times.  We should've run about 30 sprints and I think we ran close to double that.  I remember Coach White (S & C coach) yelling "Nooooo" over and over.   That was the closest I came to puking.    

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2021 at 7:48 PM, aubiefifty said:

Trust me.  I was a nobody walk-on.  I got to play in one play in my 2 year career.  A kickoff during the 1985 Homecoming game.  I realized after that I was putting way more into it than I was ever going to get out of it so I decided it was time to hang up the pads after that.  It's a full-time job and I decided I needed to focus on finishing up with getting my degree.  I'm not complaining.  Playing in that one play is more than a lot of folks can say!  I don't regret it for a second and will always have fond memories.  One of the most memorable was in 1985 when FSU came to Auburn.  We were both ranked in the top 15 I think.  I got to dress out for non-conference games, and this was one of those games where the atmosphere was intense and electric.  The stadium was packed well before kickoff.  When we ran out onto the field, I swear, you could feel the ground shaking.  I still get goose bumps when I think about that moment.  It was a close game most of the way and then we got a couple of stops or turnovers.  Ron Stallworth caught a ball batted up in the air and rumbled into the end zone to put the game away.  Hard to believe it was 36 years ago.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...