Mason - critique/discussion

Win4AU

5 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Not having Pappoe out there makes a HUGE difference in both run and pass defense. D-line is learning you gotta bring it every down and it will pay off eventually.

Would be nice to get Moultry back as well, but his career at AU may be over unfortunately. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

What’s needed, is depth. QUALITY DEPTH. Guys out. Banged up. Backups playing. The up tempo had guys clearly gassed on Arky’s last TD drive. BUT. The offense gave the defense a desperately needed blow with TWO critical scoring drives in the 4th quarter to seal the deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Haha.  3rd down D is garbage.  Remember 2014 when Auburn gave up 3 and 10+ multiple times every game?  It’s happening again.  Dline getting pressure in the 2nd half was the difference.  We saw how hopeless this D is without McClain in the Ga State game.  Just my opinion.  Let see how this soft zone D does against Ole Miss in 2 weeks and maybe I’ll change my tune.  

Edited by Win4AU

What a terrible take. Mason called a great ball game, people who know about the 3-4 defensive scheme know this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Haha.  3rd down D is garbage.  Remember 2014 when Auburn gave up 3 and 10+ multiple times every game?  It’s happening again.  Dline getting pressure in the 2nd half was the difference.  We saw how hopeless this D is with McClain in the Ga State game.  Just my opinion.  Let see how this soft zone D does against Ole Miss in 2 weeks and maybe I’ll change my tune.  

This team does NOT have the talent, nor the depth, to play more aggressively. Is that so hard to understand?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

lol we just held a team who hung 50 on another SEC Team (THAT WAS NOT VANDY) just last week to 23 points and this is the kind of post that gets made?!  wtf?

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

This team does NOT have the talent, nor the depth, to play more aggressively. Is that so hard to understand?

I thought steele did a good job of evaluating and bring in talent?  Interior Dline is the only position that is low on depth.  LBs and DBs should be loaded.  It’s not talent that’s leaving WRs wide open on 3rd and longs.  If you want to say it’s a scheme thing and players are struggling with that I can buy that but I won’t buy the talent thing for the back half of the D.

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol we just held a team who hung 50 on another SEC Team (THAT WAS NOT VANDY) just last week to 23 points and this is the kind of post that gets made?!  wtf?

Our fans can be so absurd

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, (I suck) said:

Yes he needs fired and left in Arkansas. As far as schemes go . I have never seen one work with pour tackling . You can’t bump Sec players and hope they fall down . You can count to 8 seconds on at least 9plays in today’s game alone 

Its poor not pour.

You do know we won the game, only gave up 23 points to a high scoring offense in their stadium for their homecoming. Are you a bammer fan posing in here?

Edited by tbone4jc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I thought steele did a good job of evaluating and bring in talent?  Interior Dline is the only position that is low on depth.  LBs and DBs should be loaded.  It’s not talent that’s leaving WRs wide open on 3rd and longs.  If you want to say it’s a scheme thing and players are struggling with that I can buy that but I won’t buy the talent thing for the back half of the D.

Of course. The secondary should cover receivers forever while keeping an eye on a QB who will take off at any moment. If these coaches felt confident in playing more man, they would. It’s been a patchwork lineup the last few games dealing with injuries. In the meantime, I can accept the fact we’re having to cover up some weaknesses, and we’re forcing college teams to be patient and execute an awful lot of plays to score. I’ll happily trust a DC who has been one at the P5 level AND the NFL. And a defense that, by and large, tightens up in the 2nd half. The bye week allows a much needed breather to get some guys healthy and their batteries recharged.

Edited by slyinsocal
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

What exactly is wrong with Pappoe? :dunno:

High Ankle Sprain allegedly. Hopefully he is back for Ole Miss.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Haha.  3rd down D is garbage.  Remember 2014 when Auburn gave up 3 and 10+ multiple times every game?  It’s happening again.  Dline getting pressure in the 2nd half was the difference.  We saw how hopeless this D is without McClain in the Ga State game.  Just my opinion.  Let see how this soft zone D does against Ole Miss in 2 weeks and maybe I’ll change my tune.  

I am sure you won't. You will just keep moving the field goal post

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

You do realize that we gave up an avg of over 400 yards last season right? With K Steele's defense. 

Many of you say how bare the cupboard is from CGM but yet you want this current staff to make a gourmet meal out of bologna. 

Let's be patient and give this staff time.

https://auburntigers.com/sports/football/stats/2020

Edited by tbone4jc
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Of course. The secondary should cover receivers forever while keeping an eye on a QB who will take off at any moment. If these coaches felt confident in playing more man, they would. It’s been a patchwork lineup the last few games dealing with injuries. In the meantime, I can accept the fact we’re having to cover up some weaknesses, and we’re forcing college teams to be patient and execute an awful lot of plays to score. I’ll happily trust a DC who has been one at the P5 level AND the NFL. And a defense that, by and large, tightens up in the 2nd half. The bye week allows a much needed breather to get some guys healthy and their batteries recharged.

Hey!! Rational thinking is not allowed!!

Edited by tbone4jc

17 minutes ago, (I suck) said:

I guess your a fan of pour form and a mediocre coordinator. And if someone has a different view than yours you decide to be rude. I suggest you STFU go back to staring at men’s anuses and protesting for a living human wage so you can feel good about yourself 

….your elevator doesn’t go all the way to the top, does it bud? 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, (I suck) said:

I guess your a fan of pour form and a mediocre coordinator. And if someone has a different view than yours you decide to be rude. I suggest you STFU go back to staring at men’s anuses and protesting for a living human wage so you can feel good about yourself 

I’ve “poured” a few myself. Easy to understand the fixation.

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am sure you won't. You will just keep moving the field goal post

Nah.  I’ll admit I’m wrong if they shut Ole Miss’s passing attack down. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Nah.  I’ll admit I’m wrong if they shut Ole Miss’s passing attack down. 

The defense is built to limit points. I highly doubt they will shut down their passing attack, but if it limits scores in the redzone like today then it is success. 

Edited by DAG
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

You do realize that we gave up an avg of over 400 yards on avg last season right? With K Steele's defense. 

Many of you say how bare the cupboard is from CHM but yet you want this current staff to make a gourmet meal out of bologna. 

Let's be patient and give this staff time.

https://auburntigers.com/sports/football/stats/2020

Last year was not a good Kevin Steele D but most of that was in the Dline and not so much at LB and DB.  You’ve got 2 lock down CBS in Simpson and McCreary.  The safety play hasn’t been great and the hyper Db transfers haven’t delivered.  I’m not sure who CHM is but I think you meant Gus and the only positions that are bare are OL and maybe WR.

• Like 1